The Game that makes Oculus Rift feel like reality

Wasaa12

I can hear the alien breathing.

I’ve played lots of videogames, lots of run-and-gun shooters in which I happily charge down a corridor into certain death. Not this time. I’ve got my back pressed against the wall of an abandoned spaceship, and I’m inching down a hallway, my head darting left and right, looking for danger everywhere.

And I wonder, is this the one? Is this the Oculus Rift demo where I rip the headset off my face and bolt, terrified, out of the room?

I don’t get scared by horror movies or horror videogames. Sure, you can startle the hiccups out of me with a well-timed jump scare, but that only proves my lizard brain is firing on all cylinders. For the most part, I feel a pronounced disconnect between the frightening scenario onscreen and the safety of my living room. I don’t understand how some of my friends cannot bear to even pick up the controller and walk down a hallway in Resident Evil.

So it came as quite a surprise when I found myself so truly on edge that I almost lost it while playing Sega’s Alien: Isolation demo on Oculus Rift. The game, shown at E3 this year, is a custom VR prototype based on the survival horror game coming to PC and consoles October 7. More than that, though, it’s another compelling demonstration of how Oculus Rift has the potential to make gaming so immersive that the fantasy becomes reality.

Read full story on: http://www.wired.com/2014/07/alien-isolation-oculus/

Uh..

I didn't get it.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Uh..

I didn't get it.

Blatant Sega ad and nothing else.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

This was the one where I was like whoa. Just a demo and the kid is a bit excitable, but I want to be Batman. Imagine this with puzzle solving in Tomb Raider or walking around the Citadel in Mass Effect with this. The future of games is very bright. :)

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

-snip-

I know it's awesome and all but that guy is waaay too easily impressed.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I would honestly buy a (more refined) OR for this. Isolation is one of my more anticipated games, and if this really does work well, it would be a hell of an experience.

My friend attended E3, and he pointed out how you can look around corners, move to hold your breath, and other such things using the headset. This is what I want from a VR headset; not stupid little tech demos.

So sad that it was a prototype and they won't release a VR version of the game :/

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

@Switchblade Ninja

Yeah, you would think people would learn it by now. Like it's too hard to paste as plain text.

After the whole Aliens Colonial Marines and the YouTube fiascoes, SEGA can go die in a pit of fire.

The only games I'd buy from them are the Warhammer games, but that's because THQ were the ones that published them before, but I don't want to give SEGA money.

After the whole Aliens Colonial Marines and the YouTube fiascoes, SEGA can go die in a pit of fire.

The only games I'd buy from them are the Warhammer games, but that's because THQ were the ones that published them before, but I don't want to give SEGA money.

Majority of the blame should go to Gearbox for that. They basically cheated Sega out of money and put the money they were suppose to put into the production of the Aliens game into Borderlands instead.