Intel, Dell, and Samsung teams up to create OIC to get rid of proprietary softwares.

ijKs Snow

Original post at Mashable.

http://mashable.com/2014/07/08/open-interconnect-consortium-samsung-dell-intel/

The push for the architecture needed to bring Smart Homes to the consumers is starting to take shape.

Intel, Dell, and Samsung is teaming up to create an open-source software to connect the billions of devices together. They want to get rid of proprietary software that is currently holding back devices from talking to each other.

Quote from Mashable. "For instance, a Samsung fridge can't talk to your Sony TV because every brand prefers to use proprietary technology that isn't compatible with another company's. Eventually, these objects will create a small network that will work together to create a “smart home”"

The first release of the open-source codes will target homes and offices to allow devices found in these environments to be able to connect together.

Awesome, I kind of doubt that it will actually happen any time soon, but if by some magic they really do decide to do this it would be so spectacular. All of the proprietary BS has held back way too much technology for far too long. (I also really want to see this carry over to other sectors as well.)

Edit: (It will almost be as great as when OSI protocols were put into place, so different companies NIC's could actually work together..)

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

i think android will eventually just become the OS for this interconnectivity between appliances; Google isn't going to give that up.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

this is quite a good news, by the way nice job with bringing up tech news, hoping to see you with a banner soon..

Details separate people.

This was always going to happen anyway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

i think android will eventually just become the OS for this interconnectivity between appliances ; Google isn't going to give that up.

Of course. I'm pretty sure Google will also join OIC. There's a reason Google signed a 10 year partnership with Samsung. Samsung makes the hardware for Smart Homes, Google makes the software.

This was always going to happen anyway.

Yeah, definitely. There already is the Allseen Alliance, which is where Microsoft, LG, and most Japanese companies are in.

But, quote

Doug Fisher, general manager of Intel's Software and Services Group, said the new framework will "address security and other issues not adequately handled by the AllSeen group,"

Original quote from Reuters.

lol dell and samsung against propiretary stuff?!

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

lol dell and samsung against propiretary stuff?!

I don't get it?  what have dell or Samsung done that is proprietary more than usual?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I generally don't like proprietary stuff so this is good.

Their software and connection stuff likte Samsung allshare  and in dells case It's hardware, they user a lot of proprietary firmware.

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

I don't get it?  what have dell or Samsung done that is proprietary more than usual?

I know a thing form dell and samsung, they used to (or maybe still do) have harddrives with a diffrent format then the ussual 3.5" ones, wich made it impossible to switch to an other drive or add your own, because the couldnt fit inside the HDD cage.

for samsung, see the galaxy gear wich would only work on their latest phones, with the right android version(or what's left of it)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I'm suprised samsung of all companies is involved in this. It's almost as weird as if Apple were to be involved.

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

I'm suprised samsung of all companies is involved in this. It's almost as weird as if Apple were to be involved.

I think apple is already on a pretty goodway, since companies can get the apple authenticated sticker if they pay a little for it and the device gets greenlight form apple to be compatible with their software.

I dont even have a smartphone because its useles,thats what a smart house is,useless.

I dont even have a smartphone because its useles,thats what a smart house is,useless.

I wouldn't really say that, let's think of it in the way of your groceries automaticly being put on a list when they run low or even being orderd and deliverd when they are completely out of stock or that when you have multiple TV's, that your turn of one and if you turn an other on within 5-10mins it automaticly goes to the same channel as before, unless a diffrent show is on(or also then, depends on your settings)

It can be in really simple stuff like i said above, but ofcourse it will also drag out other things, like weather apps etc project on your room's wall when you just woke up.

but the ultimate goal I think is the complete automazation of processes in your house, like closing shades and stuff like that, wich are nice and practical but not really new or interesting.

this is quite a good news, by the way nice job with bringing up tech news, hoping to see you with a banner soon..

They dont give out badges anymore, i used to post a lot of news and asked the admins what the requirements were in order to get a badge but they told me that they dont give them out, thats quite a shame i think.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

They dont give out badges anymore, i used to post a lot of news and asked the admins what the requirements were in order to get a badge but they told me that they dont give them out, thats quite a shame i think.

really? that's quite sad actually, any particular reason(s)?

Details separate people.

really? that's quite sad actually, any particular reason(s)?

no clue, it gave a goal to work towards, i used to throw out a lot of articles because i wanted that badge pretty badly, well we cant do anything about it now.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1