Signal Beta Invites Going Out This Weekend

If you haven't seen it yet, check out signal.org. Still don't know much anything about how it technically works, but they say they'll show how it works after the beta goes live.

Supposedly it lets you use a simple username instead of a phone number to make voice calls over any network; Wi-Fi or cellular with any carrier that supports Signal, for free.

Beta invites are going out this weekend, also the beta sign up period ends this weekend. So if you wanna reserve your name, and try out some new tech, go sign up!

It does seem a little strange that they still haven't released the technical info for it, but I figured for free why not give it a try?

Steam: SolvingJunk

YouTube: SolvingJunk

Twitter: @SolvingJunk

I signed up (with my spam email of course I know not who these peeps be), and am interested in this, definitely one to watch.

I'm thirsty for dat knowledge but they don't provide much but the FAQ.

I'm guessing they will charge for it in the future. just trying to get people to sign up and test it. Im assuming they assign a number to your name, and then just use their servers as a VOIP(correct?)

Like there is apps you can get for your phone that will allow you to get a number and just use data to text or call. cant be to different then that, besides the handle more. 

Hi. This link was sent to me, not sure how I didn't already know about this site. Will be spending more time here for sure.

So Signal isn't a company or VoIP, etc. it's a protocol that wireless carriers and other service providers are adopting.

You just use your domain and we don't have control (or anyone else). And that's mostly the point. You can use it with VoIP, old telecom, cellular, (future stuff someone will think of tomorrow?)

We require carriers provide some type of free signal calling to be a part of our beta, because we thought that would be cool. I'm sure they will be happy to sell you a data plan on top of it.

TV channels, radio, much more to come beyond telecom. Signal.org is just the foundation we started to make this happen.

We prefer tech savvy evangelists have the early access. I will be doing an iama on reddit any day since the first website was so confusing. The new one is better and it's being updated daily now.

Thanks!

^andy

Hi. This link was sent to me, not sure how I didn't already know about this site. Will be spending more time here for sure.

So Signal isn't a company or VoIP, etc. it's a protocol that wireless carriers and other service providers are adopting.

You just use your domain and we don't have control (or anyone else). And that's mostly the point. You can use it with VoIP, old telecom, cellular, (future stuff someone will think of tomorrow?)

We require carriers provide some type of free signal calling to be a part of our beta, because we thought that would be cool. I'm sure they will be happy to sell you a data plan on top of it.

TV channels, radio, much more to come beyond telecom. Signal.org is just the foundation we started to make this happen.

We prefer tech savvy evangelists have the early access. I will be doing an iama on reddit any day since the first website was so confusing. The new one is better and it's being updated daily now.

Thanks!

^andy

What's your position within the company, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, have you talked with any Australian telcos?

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Thanks!

^andy

Andy, thanks for coming by LTT! I've got a question if you don't mind answering here before they get lost in the IAmA.

If Signal works with your domain instead of conventional cell/telecom services, is calling a Signal user basically a DNS lookup to find whatever device(s) they/you have connected using that domain?

What's your position within the company, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, have you talked with any Australian telcos?

- I currently hold the position of "top brass". Which is my way of being in charge while avoiding any real responsibility. Signal.org will stay non-profit, there are a couple start-ups in the works that will provide actual service. Our goal is to help every provider to adopt Signal.

- Lots of NDA stuff here, but I can say we DONT have an aussie telco on board for "native cellular". Wherever their is an MVO and VoLTE/VoLGA it will be fairly easy to get going.

That being said, we have some big players globally working with us, some of which I thought were a prank at first :)

Andy, thanks for coming by LTT! I've got a question if you don't mind answering here before they get lost in the IAmA.

If Signal works with your domain instead of conventional cell/telecom services, is calling a Signal user basically a DNS lookup to find whatever device(s) they/you have connected using that domain?

Thanks for the referral, whoever sent it.

This is a common question. We have spent the better part of the last 12 months solving the tough wireless carrier and telco bits. Everything after this will come pretty easily.

Think of a website. http://andrewmyers.com Uses port 80

Now think of ftp://andrewmyers.com as an ftp service. It uses port 21 etc etc

Now think of signal://andrewmyers.com, only Signal is long so we write ^andrewmyers.com -- and this likes port 4, but has flexible http options. ^ (signal) is a new protocol like http or ftp. Its what I can the phone number for the internet of things.

Hopefully this is making sense. For the non-techy savvy it apparently doesnt... so we have dumbed down the message as we have focused on adoption and awareness.

On the telco side we have to take the ^andrewmyers.com and get it into the carrier system (IMS for wireless, softswitch for PSTN) and from that side we do the DNS lookups and route the calls.

The bigger vision is that you signal your favorite tv station, ^hbogo or ^netflix for example, and maybe you direct the stream to ^tv2435.hilton.com so you can watch your subscription in your hotel room. This is more of the IoT and M2M aspect of Signal.

That parts seems to confuse a lot of people so we decided to start simple, with replacing phone numbers and communication aliases/services.

Thanks again I will check back and try to answer any technical questions.

^andy

Think outside the box though: Like Signal from Minecraft..

Something else you may think is cool. A little hack I did for my kids recently. They can type ^andy from their minecraft chat session and it calls me, most of the time I am answering the call on my iPhone 5s or Nexus5, and it is a native cellular call. They dont have any paid phone access.

This way of doing things opens up a lot of possibilities.

Think outside the box though: Like Signal from Minecraft..

Something else you may think is cool. A little hack I did for my kids recently. They can type ^andy from their minecraft chat session and it calls me, most of the time I am answering the call on my iPhone 5s or Nexus5, and it is a native cellular call. They dont have any paid phone access.

This way of doing things opens up a lot of possibilities.

I like that an actual dev is here and answering questions. Seriously if I didn't see your posts I would have forgotten about signal until a further date when it would be in the news again. This way I am certainly more interested in it!

Edit: I just realized how this has the potential of killing Skype. Also will it be possible to have multiple people in the same signal call? Since if so this could be amazing for world wide mod teams or indie devs. I take it that you will have a desktop client? Since then it opens even more possibles!

I can totally see this protocol replacing not just phone numbers, but pretty much every single voice chat service/program currently available. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks like it works over both cellular networks and the internet, meaning I could call someone's computer/tablet/ipod using my phone or vice versa without any application-to-application exclusive communication. If this is how Signal works then I'm a bit excited, because this is essentially the email of voice chat.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I can totally see this protocol replacing not just phone numbers, but pretty much every single voice chat service/program currently available. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks like it works over both cellular networks and the internet, meaning I could call someone's computer/tablet/ipod using my phone or vice versa without any application-to-application exclusive communication. If this is how Signal works then I'm a bit excited, because this is essentially the email of voice chat.

Of course being sort of a paranoid individual I would preferably like to actually be able to host my own (and family members) signal "domain?" from my own server which I hope to have running before the end of this month. Will that be at all possible? Even if it's vastly primitive I'm certain that a lot of people would use that :D (Or maybe I'm just overly paranoid :P )

I like that an actual dev is here and answering questions. Seriously if I didn't see your posts I would have forgotten about signal until a further date when it would be in the news again. This way I am certainly more interested in it!

Edit: I just realized how this has the potential of killing Skype. Also will it be possible to have multiple people in the same signal call? Since if so this could be amazing for world wide mod teams or indie devs. I take it that you will have a desktop client? Since then it opens even more possibles!

I have to admit I much prefer these technical discussions the over simplifications we have been putting out ;)

We will release mobile apps, desktop apps, web frameworks, servers, etc for general use. All open source of course. Definitely a replacement for Skype, but I have been focusing more on the Google Hangouts feature set, which I have grown to prefer over the skype experience.

You will definitely be able to call desktop/mobile app to cell, web browser (WebRTC) to cell, desktop to desktop and so forth.

Of course being sort of a paranoid individual I would preferably like to actually be able to host my own (and family members) signal "domain?" from my own server which I hope to have running before the end of this month. Will that be at all possible? Even if it's vastly primitive I'm certain that a lot of people would use that :D (Or maybe I'm just overly paranoid :P )

You definitely should be hosting your own Signal, but the sad truth is many will host it with a cloud provider or even their cell carrier. The cool thing is you can host your signal at home, attach cell phones via carrier access and encrypt the calls end to end. I have a number and a signal that is attached to a verizon phone, at&t phone and a sprint phone. I can actually call in/out via the same number or signal. Lots of hacking at the moment, but the idea is that cell services are users mapped to all their devices, not phone numbers mapped to devices.

We had our first call the other day with a "big daddy" domain registrar who will be providing a streamlined domain setup and hosting experience. I am much more excited to see users hosting their own server and communicating on their own terms, with the ability to still tap in to the mainstream telecom network.

I have to admit I much prefer these technical discussions the over simplifications we have been putting out ;)

We will release mobile apps, desktop apps, web frameworks, servers, etc for general use. All open source of course. Definitely a replacement for Skype, but I have been focusing more on the Google Hangouts feature set, which I have grown to prefer over the skype experience.

I don't bother setting up Google Hangouts since nobody I know has it and so there would be no point to that. I'd sooner use Skype because most people have that however as some of you know @squirrl I refuse to use Skype as a direct result of how broken it is with it's countless problems.

Usually I just host Ventrilo off my pc so that I can talk with my brother (whose in the other room) without having to yell:P

You definitely should be hosting your own Signal, but the sad truth is many will host it with a cloud provider or even their cell carrier. The cool thing is you can host your signal at home, attach cell phones via carrier access and encrypt the calls end to end. I have a number and a signal that is attached to a verizon phone, at&t phone and a sprint phone. I can actually call in/out via the same number or signal. Lots of hacking at the moment, but the idea is that cell services are users mapped to all their devices, not phone numbers mapped to devices.

We had our first call the other day with a "big daddy" domain registrar who will be providing a streamlined domain setup and hosting experience. I am much more excited to see users hosting their own server and communicating on their own terms, with the ability to still tap in to the mainstream telecom network.

Now that just sounds awesome! @LinusTech WAN Show topic?

Of course I personally will most likely end up hosting my own Signal but will it cost for others to store them in the "cloud" (I hate that term...)

Usually I just host Ventrilo off my pc so that I can talk with my brother (whose in the other room) without having to yell:P

I will add Ventrilo to my list of apps to adapt.

A good point, even for those "in the cloud" the signaling doesnt have to follow the media. Meaning, we give the option to allow calls on the same LAN or wireless network to have a direct media stream, Signal just handles the call setup and teardown.

I will add Ventrilo to my list of apps to adapt.

A good point, even for those "in the cloud" the signaling doesnt have to follow the media. Meaning, we give the option to allow calls on the same LAN or wireless network to have a direct media stream, Signal just handles the call setup and teardown.

Out of curiosity, this sounds verry similar to what is already possible with a simple VoIP server, such as asterisk, except applied to a WAN level. 

This can already be done on Android(CyanogenMod) by adding your own SIP service, you only need a data connection. What is cool though is that the data connection can be ecrypted with something like OpenVPN.

The only catch is that this setup requires a user to know alot about networking and maintaining their own server.

If I understand Signal, it basically does all of this in one neat package with cross client support across many devices and Operating Systems.

I imagine there is more to it than that, but overall a really cool concept if you ask me. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Out of curiosity, this sounds verry similar to what is already possible with a simple VoIP server, such as asterisk, except applied to a WAN level. 

This can already be done on Android(CyanogenMod) by adding your own SIP service, you only need a data connection. What is cool though is that the data connection can be ecrypted with something like OpenVPN.

Those are excellent points. At a high level Signal is more about signaling than media, which is how we easily came to call it that, lol.

Asterisk originally used AIX (now AIX2). Then Freeswitch came along. SIP has provided us with a much more versatile solution. In cellular you have things like GPRS competing with CDMA, and now some things like VoLGA and VoLTE that will change the game.

So there is a small group of people that feel a SIP URI could be easily made to mimic your email address, and that this should be the new handle. The problem is SIP will eventually be obsoleted by some new technology. WebRTC is a good early example. It has Java API's and no signaling protocol.

On a side note, I use ZRTP today for end to end voice encryption as VPN would require every call be a part of the same private network.

Stepping back from voice, consider audio/video streams (radio, TV, movie services), talking to devices (telling your garage door to shut, etc). A Signal can be for a person and communication as much as a device or a business.

Also will it be possible to have multiple people in the same signal call? 

Absolutely yes to this. Video, voice, chat etc. The media will change and vary over time of course.

- Wherever their is an MVO and VoLTE/VoLGA it will be fairly easy to get going.

That being said, we have some big players globally working with us, some of which I thought were a prank at first :)

Good to know.

In Australia, we only have two networks - Telstra and Optus. Optus is the only one that resells its towers to the other SPs. It should be rather easy to get it integrated in Australia with Optus's help.

In the mean time, I have signed up for the beta and am interested to see what comes of it.

EDIT: If you plan to do an AMA, it might be good idea to get a Signal subreddit. /r/signal has existed for 3 years without use, so you might be able to contact the mod of that sub to take ownership.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

This sound super interesting. Is this something that can, or could in the future be built on top of an existing Linux home server? Definitely looking forward to experimenting with it when the Beta goes live!

Good to know.

In Australia, we only have two networks - Telstra and Optus. Optus is the only one that resells its towers to the other SPs. It should be rather easy to get it integrated in Australia with Optus's help.

In the mean time, I have signed up for the beta and am interested to see what comes of it.

EDIT: If you plan to do an AMA, it might be good idea to get a Signal subreddit. /r/signal has existed for 3 years without use, so you might be able to contact the mod of that sub to take ownership.

To onboard carriers we have been working with their core network lab teams. We are also trying to leverage MVNO laws certain countries to help the smallers guys offer Signal to differentiate themselves. We have the starting point of a partner program with the goal of starting lots of baby telcos that support Signal along with the traditional phone number and PSTN integration needed.

RE:Reddit - Yeah I noticed the signal sub some time ago. Cant remember if I ever tried to get it from them. There was some email marketing company that had it registered everywhere, even github. We have been using "signalthis" anywhere that signal is taken. But we had actually talked about using reddit as our community versus hosting one ourselves, still up in the error.

This sound super interesting. Is this something that can, or could in the future be built on top of an existing Linux home server? Definitely looking forward to experimenting with it when the Beta goes live!

The Signal "server" is definitely going to lend itself to this. Then you could spin up a virty with freeswitch and use SIP registrations to your own box to do about anything you can imagine.

RE:Reddit - Yeah I noticed the signal sub some time ago. Cant remember if I ever tried to get it from them. There was some email marketing company that had it registered everywhere, even github. We have been using "signalthis" anywhere that signal is taken. But we had actually talked about using reddit as our community versus hosting one ourselves, still up in the error.

I'd suggest having both. A forum like this is useful when you need to branch off to different sections (server, PC client, general discussion etc).

A subreddit is just a generally good thing to have and allows for the chance of cross posting for additional reach + subscribers from an AMA.