Battery "Breakthrough" anytime soon?

Poledancerz

So in my opinion, the worst thing about a mobile device is the battery life on it. Sure, it's enough to get me through the day, but if I forget to charge it one night, I'm going to be totally screwed the next day.

It's just a pain to have to charge something after approximately 6 hours of use and it be completely useless (when not plugged in). I feel like the battery life of things is definitely the "bottleneck" in my satisfaction about it. 

So I was wondering if there has been any news about something that is capable of storing energy (preferably rechargeable) that is way beyond what we have currently have?

I have tried doing a bit of searching my own, but either nothing has been coming out, or I just suck at making Googles.

(Just a side-note... I'm not complaining about battery life, just wondering if it's ever going to get improved. The fact that I have a device that can add 50 + 25 and spurt out the answer in a millisecond still blows my mind)

Battery tech is a lot like PC tech. There is not likely to be a huge groundbreaking moment that allows your smartphone to last for a month any time soon. Slow steady incremental improvements are however on the horizon.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

You can make a phone last long, he problem is, we are jamming 2,6ghz processors in our phones like the htc one m8.

So, we can make a low power smart phone to have a Lon lasting battery, but it would b slow.

Diamond 5 in League :)

Fuck modern phones, Nokia 3310 all the way, btw get a powerbank or whatever those things are called, it should really help you in your endeavor with battery's

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

For now, the only real way around the issue is to carry a portable USB power pack.

For me, the ideal solution to the battery life issue comes in 2 potential flavours.

1. Batteries with more capacity
  2. Batteries that charge extremely quickly

For now, the only real way around the issue is to carry a portable USB power pack.

For me, the ideal solution to the battery life issue comes in 2 potential flavours.

But to get more capacity the cells will have to decrease in size which seems relatively difficult to do.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

We could have kept our tegra 3's, maybe done a die shrink for power consumption and added a gpu that's a bit better, and focused on making longer lasting batteries and cheaper phones, but no, apparently snake oil is never enough... I can understand that tablets benefit from being more powerful as people use them for games and in general to do what you would with a laptop, but in a phone having QHD screens and 2.6ghz quad cores with 3gb of ram at the cost of battery life and at the same price as a 28" 4k display is nonsense. Phones are made to call people, it's ok to have them be snappy and comfortable to watch movies and read comics on, but much less that what we have now in flagship devices is needed for that. Playing games on a less than 6" screen is very uncomfortable and phablets take away too much mobility from something that you should be able to fetch from your pocket and place close to your ear in a matter of seconds and keep it there for a number of minutes.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

We are in cycle it seems, every time batteries are improving we want our device to do more energy intensive tasks. At this rate it will never change. Imo the philosophy of people needs to change from being able to do everything with you mobile to a good device that doesn't shave but has a better battery.

I don't know what happened to it, it looked incredible. So either its on the way or it was buried by a company that thought it was too good. (buy the rights and never talk about it again)

I realy don't know, I havent made the researches necessary to realy know where its at. I hope it comes out soon.

I think that the problem really is that the phone software itself is poorly optimised. On iPhones or Windows Phones, the battery lasts forever; the OS barely uses any power so no battery is used. Android constantly wakes the phone upwhen it's locked and uses data, processing power and other stuff in the process, meaning there is comparably low battery life.

Plus, there's the point that some phones are supplied with 2 Amp chargers, which means that after 2 years, the battery life will be terrible because the battery has been fried.

Compatible with Windows 95

If a phone like the m8 wouldn't have a quadcore 2.6ghz or whatever processor (Which is WAY faster than my laptop!!!) and instead something like a dual core 2ghz which is still plenty to do a lot of stuff. Maybe not fking play crysis 3 on the phone but enough to play normal games and do other stuff

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

What about wireless charging?

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

Graphene. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

What about wireless charging?

It still takes a long time.

It still takes a long time.

Yeah now, but the future looks promising

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

New battery technology exists. It works. It's been tested.

It's mass production that's the issue here.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

Not while oil is still a thing.
Once people/things like the military NEED longer battery life desperately, only smaller advancements will be made.

As said above, newer/better tech exists, but it won't make it to market as most of the time it's never viable enough :(

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

My regular flip-phone's battery lasts several days before needing a recharge.

#dumbphonemasterrace

:P

My old slide-phone, currently my dedicated alarm clock, goes for 2 weeks before recharge.  :P

To op, if your phone has swap-able battery get a battery and battery charger. That way one battery is always charging while your out using your phone. Whenever juice runs out just swap the battery. Or you could get a USB battery pack, I myself do the battery swapping cause I'm too lazy to carry around a battery pack.