4770k overcloking issues - BSOD

Guys, I am trying to overclock my CPU and I continue to get WHEA_uncorrectable_Error in 2 mins after windows starts.

i am using Maximus VI extreme mobo with custom waterloop. Here is temps when using prime 95 without overcloking,

Prime 95 8 Torture tests Temps - 150 Minutes run

I have two corsair vengeance pro 2x8Gb 1866mhz sticks. But when I Check in bios it says, 2 x corsair vengeance pro 8gb 1333MHz running @ 1333mhz 

I use the overcloking presets on bios but it continues to fail. Here is my bios look.

http://rog.asus.com/254052013/maximus-motherboards/recommended-settings-for-overclocking-maximus-vi-motherboards/

This is my first time overcloking. Can anyone recommend me the setting i can use

Don't use Prime95

it will overload the CPU with too much voltage

i think you forget to set XMP profiles for your RAM

go to BIOS, under memory select the XMP profile from the RAM

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Is the cooler seated properly? Proper use of thermal paste? What is the temperature in your room? You are using fans to pump air out of your system, with cool air coming in, yes?

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

@kks21199

You have to go into Overclocking with a completely open mind.  Your experience is going to be 100% unique to your chip, and your results are going to vary in comparison to others.  Using a Haswell CPU only intensifies how much variation you will experience.  Sometimes, no matter how good of temperatures you have, your chip just cannot hold a stable overclock.  This is often referred to as luck of the chip or the silicon lottery.

What you are currently experiencing is an unstable overclock.  Go into the BIOS and hit F5 to return everything to default settings.  Enable the XMP profile on your RAM and it should go to its designed timings and Mhz.  Do not use the presets.  You will have to follow a guide and do this step by step.  You need to first learn what and how to overclock.  This is a lengthy process if done right.

Here are two of the best guides available:

LTT Haswell Overclocking Guide authored by our very own @ProKoN

OC.net Overclocking Guide

Another interesting overclocking tool that you should read up on:

Load Line Calibration

Lastly, here is

WHENEVER YOU STRESS TEST, SET VOLTAGE TO MANUAL/CONSTANT

Prime95 is perfectly fine to use, as long as you set your voltage to a constant rate.  Adaptive voltage while stress testing will fry your chip.  Those temperatures seem high for stock settings on a custom loop.  It could be that your voltage is set to adaptive and it is causing overheating, or something might not be seated or secured properly with your loop.  Since it is your first time OCing, I am going to guess that it is your voltage not being set to manual.  It could also just be that you live in a very warm part of the world and temperatures are going to be higher where you live.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

increase your voltage.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

@kks21199

You have to go into Overclocking with a completely open mind.  Your experience is going to be 100% unique to your chip, and your results are going to vary in comparison to others.  Using a Haswell CPU only intensifies how much variation you will experience.  Sometimes, no matter how good of temperatures you have, your chip just cannot hold a stable overclock.  This is often referred to as luck of the chip or the silicon lottery.

What you are currently experiencing is an unstable overclock.  Go into the BIOS and hit F5 to return everything to default settings.  Enable the XMP profile on your RAM and it should go to its designed timings and Mhz.  Do not use the presets.  You will have to follow a guide and do this step by step.  You need to first learn what and how to overclock.  This is a lengthy process if done right.

Load Line Calibration

Lastly, here is Linus' overclocking video tutorial

Prime95 is perfectly fine to use, as long as you set your voltage to a constant rate.  Adaptive voltage while stress testing will fry your chip.  Those temperatures seem high for stock settings on a custom loop.  It could be that your voltage is set to adaptive and it is causing overheating, or something might not be seated or secured properly with your loop.  Since it is your first time OCing, I am going to guess that it is your voltage not being set to manual.  It could also just be that you live in a very warm part of the world and temperatures are going to be higher where you live.

Is the cooler seated properly? Proper use of thermal paste? What is the temperature in your room? You are using fans to pump air out of your system, with cool air coming in, yes?

I have use arctic silver mx-4 paste. The waterblock is tighten down as much as possible. Installation was done as XSPC manual said for socket 1150.

I have 2 140mm  fans on top, 2 140mm on front pulling air inside. 2 120mm on bottom which is pulling air from bottom and cooling the rx240 radiator. It is a 1650rpm xspc fan.

I have only one 140mm fan at the back of the case pushing air away. There are soo many space left in bottom, top and back where the air can go away. I am using phanteks enthoo primo. 

@kks21199

Load Line Calibration

Lastly, here is Linus' overclocking video tutorial

Here is my result.

post-85045-0-30615400-1403689936_thumb.p

Is it normal ? As linus said in his video [ i have the same cpu n mobo with RM1000 PSU ] I tried his final setting 46 for the core values and 1.25V for cpu. But that did boot up till rog windows 8 logo and then a BSOD and just a continous loop.

So i did this setting,

42 for all cores

1.35 core voltage

DRAM 1600mhz freq.

My room temp is about 30 degree. Can anyone mention if my fans are configured the correct way.

EDIT :

post-85045-0-14290100-1403691242_thumb.p

4.3GHZ with same settings.

My CPu temp on OC Panel is : 68

Is there a way to change the thing that appears on control panel ? Why is it still @3.50GHz ?

post-85045-0-98891300-1403705661_thumb.p

The maximum I can go is 4.4GHz.

The bios gives me the option to increase the voltage but when the computer starts it says a error, CPU OVER VOLTAGE in bios itself and asking me to change it.

Should I remove the waterblock and refit it again ?

post-85045-0-98891300-1403705661_thumb.p

Here is my result.

Is it normal ? As linus said in his video [ i have the same cpu n mobo with RM1000 PSU ] I tried his final setting 46 for the core values and 1.25V for cpu. But that did boot up till rog windows 8 logo and then a BSOD and just a continous loop.

So i did this setting,

42 for all cores

1.35 core voltage

DRAM 1600mhz freq.

My room temp is about 30 degree. Can anyone mention if my fans are configured the correct way.

---

4.3GHZ with same settings.

My CPu temp on OC Panel is : 68

Is there a way to change the thing that appears on control panel ? Why is it still @3.50GHz ?

Could you use something like CPU-Z where we can see volts while test is running? As mentioned before, every chip is different and only examples are used in guides. You shouldn't use the highest example if you are having trouble with lower ones. For Haswell CPUs 1.3V is max that should be used and 1.4V is absolute max if you crazy (or have ultimate cooling and don't mind if your chip breaks).

About control panel etc. Those are branding and product names. Don't worry about them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The bios gives me the option to increase the voltage but when the computer starts it says a error, CPU OVER VOLTAGE in bios itself and asking me to change it.

Do you wish to kill that CPU????? Seriously. Lower that volt. I'm surprised that it hasn't blew yet. Read my previous post.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

attachicon.gifScreenshot (8).png

HOLY FACK man you will kill your chip...READ FACEMAN's post and follow guides if you don't understand the basics of overclocking but please whatever you do reduce your VCORE you will kill your CPU in not time flat if you continue!!!!!!

At least we now know some haswell can sustain well over 1.75volts on the core where the max safe rating is 1.4v...OMG !

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Welp.. I think we know why he isn't responding.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

hahaha yeah!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Could you use something like CPU-Z where we can see volts while test is running? As mentioned before, every chip is different and only examples are used in guides. You shouldn't use the highest example if you are having trouble with lower ones. For Haswell CPUs 1.3V is max that should be used and 1.4V is absolute max if you crazy (or have ultimate cooling and don't mind if your chip breaks).

About control panel etc. Those are branding and product names. Don't worry about them.

New to overclocking :P Didn't know it was that bad as the final temps went to 100 for about a min and then got back to 80-90 safely. I have CPU-Z shot up there in the pic. See it please.

It was overclocked to 4.4GHz and prime 95 ran about 150 mins without any problems.

But as of your advice. I am lowering it back to default. I am gonna sell this off and get a 4790k :D

Do you wish to kill that CPU????? Seriously. Lower that volt. I'm surprised that it hasn't blew yet. Read my previous post.

Nooo....and after reading some other overcloking guides, I am suprised as well.

HOLY FACK man you will kill your chip...READ FACEMAN's post and follow guides if you don't understand the basics of overclocking but please whatever you do reduce your VCORE you will kill your CPU in not time flat if you continue!!!!!!

At least we now know some haswell can sustain well over 1.75volts on the core where the max safe rating is 1.4v...OMG !

Thanks Lowering them down

Nah you don't. I was changing  the radiator position and rearranging the fans as of http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1858957/airflow-101-setting-fans-keeping-computer-cool.html guide. Because i had my radiators in bottom, the tubes were long and I had to safely clear the coolant to a bottle and then rearrange the radiator and started the watercooling system. My first time using a custom waterloop :P I am juz 15 though :D

And for your information, the cpu is still running with that voltage :D 

its not all about temps man, volts can kill a CPU fairly quickly and honestly you are a lucking man that your CPU survived that 1.77volts blow you threw at it! it should thoreticaly be dead ATM...after all if someday you end up hooked to an electic chair they will not monitor your core temps, they will monitor the volts that goes through your body! :) hehe

New to overclocking :P Didn't know it was that bad as the final temps went to 100 for about a min and then got back to 80-90 safely. I have CPU-Z shot up there in the pic. See it please.

It was overclocked to 4.4GHz and prime 95 ran about 150 mins without any problems.

But as of your advice. I am lowering it back to default. I am gonna sell this off and get a 4790k :D

You gotta mention to possible buyer that you have clocked that chip. Since you have run it over the "safe" limits of voltage that chip has lost that small warranty it had before. So whoever nuys it and if it dies with normal use withing month or two is gonna blaim you for it.

And for next time, 90C+ isn't good temp under load. 85C is pretty much highest it should be. Over that is only acceptable when just testing highest possible clocks.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

its not all about temps man, volts can kill a CPU fairly quickly and honestly you are a lucking man that your CPU survived that 1.77volts blow you threw at it! it should thoreticaly be dead ATM...after all if someday you end up hooked to an electic chair they will not monitor your core temps, they will monitor the volts that goes through your body! :) hehe

hahaha :D

You gotta mention to possible buyer that you have clocked that chip. Since you have run it over the "safe" limits of voltage that chip has lost that small warranty it had before. So whoever nuys it and if it dies with normal use withing month or two is gonna blaim you for it.

And for next time, 90C+ isn't good temp under load. 85C is pretty much highest it should be. Over that is only acceptable when just testing highest possible clocks.

didn't know that was coming. The cpu is now running at 36C at default bios settings. Is it good ?

it went up over 90C for only minutes and then came back down to 80. It always happens to me no matter what temp is it. It goes up till 50 and back down to 40 :P

I bought the cpu less than 2 weeks ago,  could intel find out that the chip was using over 1.75V ? I saw in the OC Panel in Extreme Mode that the target was 1.75V so I thought that 1.75 was safe.

@LogGiCalDrm

Is this good,

post-85045-0-59837200-1403718384_thumb.p

Not overclocked. But in cpu Z the core voltage is stil 1.7xxV. All setting has been left to auto in bios which is default.

post-85045-0-59837200-1403718384_thumb.p

hahaha :D

didn't know that was coming. The cpu is now running at 36C at default bios settings. Is it good ?

it went up over 90C for only minutes and then came back down to 80. It always happens to me no matter what temp is it. It goes up till 50 and back down to 40 :P

I bought the cpu less than 2 weeks ago,  could intel find out that the chip was using over 1.75V ? I saw in the OC Panel in Extreme Mode that the target was 1.75V so I thought that 1.75 was safe.

Idle/BIOS temps are only there to show that sensor are working and your cooler is well in place. They don't tell nothing about what is going to happen under full stress.

As for overclocking. It generally voids warranty anyway. Intel has set limits under which they might grant warranty if something happens. The 1.4V voltage limits is there, as is 105C max temps. If you go over those, its no warranty. Under them is still grey area but as OC is so popular now, they might be generous, but they also have special warranty program just for that.

The Extreme setting in BIOS isn't Intel's, it's mobos. And thats meant for people who know what they are doing. Who have custom loop at min and propably are using liquid nitrogen anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@LogGiCalDrm

Is this good,

Not overclocked. But in cpu Z the core voltage is stil 1.7xxV. All setting has been left to auto in bios which is default.

I would reset BIOS/clear CMOS. If it shows normal volts in BIOS then it could be software issue, but I'd be sure in these things.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Idle/BIOS temps are only there to show that sensor are working and your cooler is well in place. They don't tell nothing about what is going to happen under full stress.

As for overclocking. It generally voids warranty anyway. Intel has set limits under which they might grant warranty if something happens. The 1.4V voltage limits is there, as is 105C max temps. If you go over those, its no warranty. Under them is still grey area but as OC is so popular now, they might be generous, but they also have special warranty program just for that.

The Extreme setting in BIOS isn't Intel's, it's mobos. And thats meant for people who know what they are doing. Who have custom loop at min and propably are using liquid nitrogen anyway.

Thanks. I am actually gonna get this,

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/purchase-a-plan/

Incase if anything goes wrong.. I won't be a stupid to even think about overclocking this cpu anymore.

yes vid is the one to look at, how high does it goes when under full load...1.3V is about the max you would want to run 24/7 on intel haswell CPU's and it's also basicaly the maximum most good aftermarket CPU coolers can handle temps wise...

Thanks. I am actually gonna get this,

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/purchase-a-plan/

Incase if anything goes wrong.. I won't be a stupid to even think about overclocking this cpu anymore.

You are extremely, extremely lucky that your CPU isn't fried.  In all likelihood, you have already done permanent damage to that chip.  You did not follow the guides that I posted, and you have a less than average chip, in all honesty, unless you absolutely need the extra CPU power, just run your CPU at stock because it isnt worth overclocking for such minimal gains.  Temperatures are not all that matters, Don't go above 1.4v, and even then that is a lot.  Also you want to keep it below 85C MAX while stress testing.  Ideally under 70C when under load for real-world tasks.

Reset EVERYTHING back to default.

I highly recommend that you update your BIOS to be able to support Devil's Canyon CPUs, because you have to update the BIOS before using the new DC chips, and you need your haswell chip to do so.  Do this now before you destroy your chip, and so you will be ready for the 4790k.

You need to go back and read the guides.  Read them all before applying anything.  You don't have a good chip, that much is clear, so don't expect good results.

Also, please use HWinfo I find it much easier to use than other programs, and easier to read.

post-85045-0-54900200-1403719479_thumb.p

Here. I am using a custom water loop. 

What is the VIN5 under motherboard voltages ? Why is it same as CPU-Z core voltage

post-85045-0-54900200-1403719479_thumb.p