4770k overcloking issues - BSOD

CPU-Z voltage read is innacurate, chances are you never sent 1.77volts through your chip for real this would explain why it's not dead yet, what did you set the voltages at in your bios so far? anything above 1.4v?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

@kks21199

Forget the water loop, temperatures are not what is your problem, its your chip.  I'm using a $30 CPU cooler and getting better results than you.  This is what overclocking with Haswell is like.

Yet another example of why I don't recommend buying expensive CPU cooling for haswell chips until you know that temperatures are the only thing holding you back.  I'm sorry that this happened to you and you got an unlucky chip, but you need to be patient and learn how to overclock safely.  If you can get 4.2Ghz on 1.3v, leave it at that and call it a day.  Also be sure to update the BIOS asap.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

You are extremely, extremely lucky that your CPU isn't fried.  In all likelihood, you have already done permanent damage to that chip.  You did not follow the guides that I posted, and you have a less than average chip, in all honesty, unless you absolutely need the extra CPU power, just run your CPU at stock because it isnt worth overclocking for such minimal gains.  Temperatures are not all that matters, Don't go above 1.4v, and even then that is a lot.  Also you want to keep it below 85C MAX while stress testing.  Ideally under 70C when under load for real-world tasks.

Reset EVERYTHING back to default.

I highly recommend that you update your BIOS to be able to support Devil's Canyon CPUs, because you have to update the BIOS before using the new DC chips, and you need your haswell chip to do so.  Do this now before you destroy your chip, and so you will be ready for the 4790k.

You need to go back and read the guides.  Read them all before applying anything.  You don't have a good chip, that much is clear, so don't expect good results.

Also, please use HWinfo I find it much easier to use than other programs, and easier to read.

Thanks. I did not know that 1.7V was that bad. I have already reset to default and ofcourse, no more overcloking this chip. [Maybe max to 4.2GHz where the Core Voltage was set around 1.25]. I have already updated my bios to 1505 which should support 4790K without any problem.

I am actually buying intel's 25$ insurance for CPU OC. https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/ . I think 25$ is worth incase i have to spend a 300$.

post-85045-0-02586200-1403721006_thumb.p

CPU-Z voltage read is innacurate, chances are you never sent 1.77volts through your chip for real this would explain why it's not dead yet, what did you set the voltages at in your bios so far? anything above 1.4v?

I set the CPU core voltage at 1.55 and and start input voltage at 1.7V. The bios did say that i can more. But it didn't let me go more showing a red text. And if i did it showed me a cpu over voltage error when booting in bios.

Till I am on the safe side I am gonna be happy.

Thanks. I did not know that 1.7V was that bad. I have already reset to default and ofcourse, no more overcloking this chip. [Maybe max to 4.2GHz where the Core Voltage was set around 1.25]. I have already updated my bios to 1505 which should support 4790K without any problem.

I am actually buying intel's 25$ insurance for CPU OC. https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/ . I think 25$ is worth incase i have to spend a 300$.

I set the CPU core voltage at 1.55 and and start input voltage at 1.7V. The bios did say that i can more. But it didn't let me go more showing a red text. And if i did it showed me a cpu over voltage error when booting in bios.

Till I am on the safe side I am gonna be happy.

Just read the guides please:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

If you can do 4.2Ghz @ 1.25v that is not the worst result ever recorded, and is a very safe voltage.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

your running 1.7v? 1.4v is the max for haswell 1.7v is dangerous you can fry your cpu really easy

never use auto voltages when overclocking 

try running 4.2ghz at 1.2v