Harley-Davidson is making an electric motorcycle

Dietrichw

first thing you're doing wrong is trusting your mirrors, always check physically. mirrors have crazy big blind spots and people will merge into entire freaking cars because of the mirrors. I don't do line splitting because its dangerous and just pisses people off, and i don't sit in blind spots. 

I predominately drive actual cars, but occasionally i go out on the bike, if i need to take a trip to the city or something is saves me a massive amount of fuel (got an old 4x4) and i'm not asking for special treatment over a standard car at all. if you run into a car being careless they're gonna be just as pissed as the guy on the bike. 

As i said in my second post, dangerous drivers and reckless riders are what make it dangerous. as a combination. a smart rider won't put himself in a position where he can't be seen easily, and a smart driver will be checking properly before turning into traffic or changing lanes.

There's a reason big trucks tend to have signs on their backs saying "If you cant see my mirrors I can't see you". The only "Physical" way to check is to change lanes and see if a biker hits you. There's enough videos on the internet showing how many bikers take over jams at junctions and do similar brainless sh!t because they're smaller. There are careless drivers, sure, and there will be more of them than bikers, but the only reason is because there are more cars overall.

And it's been revealed guys:

7.jpg

It's still in prototype phase even though initial reports from magazines and other media outlets say it's rather polished for a prototype. One motorcycle website basically said it's miles ahead of what Brammo and Zero have made. Fortunately it actually makes noise too. Imagine an electrical whine but not annoying. It literally sounds like hovercars in sci-fi movies. Cool stuff imo. They'll be touring in  NY, PA, and MA. Unfortunately I don't have the time to drive out to any of those states to test ride this or I definitely would. I'll have to live vicariously through those that get the opportunity :(

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

It's the future, whether you like it or not.

Yuck. Does Harley-Davidson keep any contact with their consumer base? Whoever buys one of these would be the laughing stock of any other "true" Harley rider.

No doubt about it. If only they hadn't disbanded the Buell group, this would have been a perfect project for them.

BUILD LOGSSerious Black ] [ Project Lumos ] [ SrsB ]

It's the future, whether you like it or not.

No doubt about it. If only they hadn't disbanded the Buell group, this would have been a perfect project for them.

The only disadvantage I see of moving away from ICE to electric is the sound. Electric bikes have so many pros over ICE including being better for the environment, safer since they don't use fuel, and instant torque. Not to mention as battery tech progresses, they'll get lighter and lighter with more capacity to hold a charge. If someone can find a way to overcome the sound issue (my preference) then I'm sold on electric. As things currently stand I love the sound of a high revving inline four too much to give it up for a completely silent bike.

inb4 I'm overcompensating <--- I love that assumption lol. Why can't someone just like the sound of their bike?

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

The only disadvantage I see of moving away from ICE to electric is the sound. Electric bikes have so many pros over ICE including being better for the environment, safer since they don't use fuel, and instant torque. Not to mention as battery tech progresses, they'll get lighter and lighter with more capacity to hold a charge. If someone can find a way to overcome the sound issue (my preference) then I'm sold on electric. As things currently stand I love the sound of a high revving inline four too much to give it up for a completely silent bike.

inb4 I'm overcompensating <--- I love that assumption lol. Why can't someone just like the sound of their bike?

All the percs of electric energy are revolutionary and for the greater good. If only more companies were utilizing this form of sustainable technology we would all be better off.

That being said, there's nothing quite like the rumble of a carbureted engine beneath you and how in touch it makes you feel with the road.

BUILD LOGSSerious Black ] [ Project Lumos ] [ SrsB ]

I can't see the greasy leatherbacks giving up their noise.

Harleys are very inefficient and slow anyway, they are not chosen by their riders for efficiency but because of the way they look and sound.

Uh, as far as I am aware, Harleys can go just as fast as cars(speeds over 100MPH) and their MPG is anywhere around 30-60, depending on model and how you ride it.

Now, I'm not a motorcycle enthusiast by any means, my dad almost killed himself while riding one before I was even born(not his fault, driver at fault and turned into him), but an electric motorcyle? That is something I'd like to see and if it cheaper than a Tesla, then hell I'd get one, and that's mainly because I want to save money.

Uh, as far as I am aware, Harleys can go just as fast as cars(speeds over 100MPH) and their MPG is anywhere around 30-60, depending on model and how you ride it.

Now, I'm not a motorcycle enthusiast by any means, my dad almost killed himself while riding one before I was even born(not his fault, driver at fault and turned into him), but an electric motorcyle? That is something I'd like to see and if it cheaper than a Tesla, then hell I'd get one, and that's mainly because I want to save money.

You are correct. Most Harley's on the worse end of the spectrum average about 40MPG. I've never heard of one with an EPA estimate of 30MPG as that mostly applies to high performance literbikes (1000cc sports bikes). Yes, most Harley's can reach at a minimum 100MPH and still get there faster than a car. 

There are two reasons people buy a Harley-Davidson. 

1) They're laid-back, comfortable motorcycles that suit the american way of life perfectly.

2) the noise they make (ever noticed every harley davidson v-twin sounds EXACTLY the same no matter the model or capacity?)

Thus, if they made an electric version they would therefore remove half their customer base.

Harley's are not an every-day kind of bike. Being a weekend-driven-only motorobike, fuel economy is hardly on the forefront of a Harley-Davidson owners mind. My brother rides his less than once a month, for example. 

Making them electric is absolutely illogical and without any definitive reason. I can totally understand an electric scooter, an electric sportsbike or an electric traveller's bike (those things with like radios and huge seats and cargo boxes, dunno what their called) but seriously an electric Harley is just retarded.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

And it's been revealed guys:

7.jpg

It's still in prototype phase even though initial reports from magazines and other media outlets say it's rather polished for a prototype. One motorcycle website basically said it's miles ahead of what Brammo and Zero have made. Fortunately it actually makes noise too. Imagine an electrical whine but not annoying. It literally sounds like hovercars in sci-fi movies. Cool stuff imo. They'll be touring in  NY, PA, and MA. Unfortunately I don't have the time to drive out to any of those states to test ride this or I definitely would. I'll have to live vicariously through those that get the opportunity :(

Perhaps I am just imagining things, but it looks like this model took some design cues from the V-ROD. Of course, this isn't a bad thing. It's a badass looking bike.

Personally, I would like to see some sort of hybrid technology similar to the McLaren P1, Porsche 918 and LaFerrari make it's way to motorcycles. Until then, my 2012 GSX-R1000 is plenty enough for me. As for the overcompensating claims, it's probably because the pansies complaining don't have the balls to ride one.

My problem with harleys is the amount of noise.....I have been in an accident where a modded harley flew through a tunnel and he made so much noise that 4 people on bicycles(And no.....we were not riding racing bikes...We didn't know eachother but was just heading either into town or back from work on normal bikes....in bike lanes) crashed....I flew into the wall trying to avoid what really sounded like a motorcycle just behind me.

And the prick just laughed.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Thus, if they made an electric version they would therefore remove half their customer base.

Harley's are not an every-day kind of bike. Being a weekend-driven-only motorobike, fuel economy is hardly on the forefront of a Harley-Davidson owners mind. My brother rides his less than once a month, for example. 

Making them electric is absolutely illogical and without any definitive reason. I can totally understand an electric scooter, an electric sportsbike or an electric traveller's bike (those things with like radios and huge seats and cargo boxes, dunno what their called) but seriously an electric Harley is just retarded.

They're probably very aware that not everyone is going to dig an electric motorcycle. And to counter your anecdote I know several people that commute daily with Harleys who are concerned with fuel economy. It's certainly not on the top of their list, but they aren't so rich to just not care. Electric makes a lot of sense irrespective of the brand; I'd say an electric Harley (or any cruiser - though LiveWire looks more like a standard) makes a lot more sense than an elecric enduro or adventure bike.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/06/19/harley-davidson-livewire-electric-motorcycle-first-ride-review-photos-video/