Harley-Davidson is making an electric motorcycle

Dietrichw

Lol at the motorcyclist hate ITT. Tons of ignorance and generalizations I don't even think it's worth replying to. 

At any rate, it's nice that Harley is finally innovating considering that they've been selling the same bikes for years on end with only small improvements. Even if it flops, they tried something different and new. The noise will definitely be missed. There's nothing like some Screaming Eagle or Vance and Hines pipes on a Harley.

Oh and btw, I'm that guy with the 100Db sportbike you see on the road all the time. You're welcome  :)

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

first thing you're doing wrong is trusting your mirrors, always check physically. mirrors have crazy big blind spots and people will merge into entire freaking cars because of the mirrors. I don't do line splitting because its dangerous and just pisses people off, and i don't sit in blind spots. 

I predominately drive actual cars, but occasionally i go out on the bike, if i need to take a trip to the city or something is saves me a massive amount of fuel (got an old 4x4) and i'm not asking for special treatment over a standard car at all. if you run into a car being careless they're gonna be just as pissed as the guy on the bike. 

As i said in my second post, dangerous drivers and reckless riders are what make it dangerous. as a combination. a smart rider won't put himself in a position where he can't be seen easily, and a smart driver will be checking properly before turning into traffic or changing lanes.

You do realize that they make smaller cars now right? Sell both and get this:

1024px-2013-03-05_Geneva_Motor_Show_7862

-------

Current Rig

-------

If only you knew the fun you could have on a motorcycle. I won't turn this into a flame war about safety, cars vs bikes, etc. All I ask of you is to be open minded and take a motorcycle safety course to try out riding and understand it better. That's all I ask. Then you can come to an informed conclusion. 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

If only you knew the fun you could have on a motorcycle.

I could find all about that fun in a closed track or empty parking lot or whatever while still enjoying a perfect, lifetime record of 0 broken bones or pierced internal organs.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I could find all about that fun in a closed track or empty parking lot or whatever while still enjoying a perfect, lifetime record of 0 broken bones or pierced internal organs.

But that's the reason it's fun: Pain!

599669-hidan_love_pain.png

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I'm no stranger to pain I have chronic back issues. Pain is not the issue, dying is. And for the record I have ridden on a bike before: when I was 13 my cousin had 2 scooters and we drove em around the neighborhood. Luckily we never did anything stupid like driving out into crowded avenues.

-------

Current Rig

-------

How many people that ride experience that though?

Oh I know is rare for most 33 year old human beings but that wasn't the point, it was just another way of saying "not dying"

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm no stranger to pain I have chronic back issues. Pain is not the issue, dying is. And for the record I have ridden on a bike before: when I was 13 my cousin had 2 scooters and we drove em around the neighborhood. Luckily we never did anything stupid like driving out into crowded avenues.

My dad rode with his uncle, I believe, who should have been considered legally blind. He told my dad something like, "close your eyes and you won't get hit". This was in Vietnam around the time when my dad was young, so 1950's to 1960's maybe? For reference, he was born in 1939 - my dad, not my great-uncle.

I don't have an issue with dying either, I just have an issue with what happens after death. Hell, I'd rather die young - literally or according to standards - than live to be old, decrepit, confined to a bed or home, confused, afraid, or basically an invalid. If I'm old and still functioning like Clint Eastwood, Sir Christopher Lee, or Sir Michael Caine, then hell yeah. If not and I end up on life support or in a coma, please kill me.

A lot in the United States where people just don't give a damn since they're in their protective cages. I'd love to ride, but I'd love it if I could move to a motorcycle-friendly city, like somewhere in Europe or maybe Canada where all the nice people live.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

No thanks. I'll keep to older models. I go offroading and a 2 tonne 4x4 with a Ute back is perfect for all my 4 wheel needs. And a motorbike is well suited for long distance drives as I have always travelled light. Besides why would I do that. My Ute was 2 grand and the bike was 3. And hatchbacks like that are massively impractical for anything more than driving to work. Not even enough boot space, no full sized spares and only marginally safer than riding. Plus I can't even drive half the roads out here in a POS hatch.

City people, so limited.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I don't have an issue with dying either

Neither do I but that doesn't means I'll start juggling chainsaws.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Neither do I but that doesn't means I'll start juggling chainsaws.

Why not? It's fun.  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz84cn0D9zA

Sounds pretty neat, I like it more than your average Harley exhaust note. The battery heft probably affects cruiser dynamics the least, so it seems like a decent platform to put electric on. I'd be more interested in a camless ICE bike, but this ain't bad.

A little pointless since the rumble of the motor is a major point in having a big motorcycle. 

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/18/5822094/harley-davidson-electric-motorcycle-teaser-video

http://time.com/2896897/harley-davidson-electric-motorcycle/

Just duct tape a vibrator on it and you'll never know the difference. 

I really do not think something like this is going to sell well. It is a Harley. The type of riders that Harley Davidson attracts is not going to want an electric bike, and the type of riders that would want an electric bike would not buy a Harley.

electric motorbikes are already out, isnt this old news?They basically have torque when ever you want it :) 

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

I really do not think something like this is going to sell well. It is a Harley. The type of riders that Harley Davidson attracts is not going to want an electric bike, and the type of riders that would want an electric bike would not buy a Harley.

Actually to get this back on topic: Harley Davidson is a pretty mainstream brand by now: You can find jackasses with Harley Davidson t-shirts just as easily as you see them with jack daniels or Che Guevara t-shirts. I think that it has potential to be sold ok to people who honestly don't know what a harley is.

-------

Current Rig

-------

electric motorbikes are already out, isnt this old news?They basically have torque when ever you want it :)

It's reaching out to an audience that you might have assumed didn't care about electric vehicles. A lot of the Harley ads I see are about breaking stereotypes, so this could be practicing that. They certainly aren't the first to do an electric motorcycle, but they'd probably be the most visible.

It's reaching out to an audience that you might have assumed didn't care about electric vehicles. A lot of the Harley ads I see are about breaking stereotypes, so this could be practicing that. They certainly aren't the first to do an electric motorcycle, but they'd probably be the most visible.

you last statement "probably be the most visible" i feel isn't very true, electric superbikes have been a huge hits fopr a few years you just might have not noticed it since you like dem cruisers more  

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

Just duct tape a vibrator on it and you'll never know the difference. 

That sounds weird... And kinda kinky... Jaysus... What the hell? Welp, I'm expecting someone to name their new electric motorcycle with vibrator attached: Red Rocket.

you last statement "probably be the most visible" i feel isn't very true, electric superbikes have been a huge hits fopr a few years you just might have not noticed it since you like dem cruisers more  

I meant brand recognition. Brammo and Zero mean nothing to an average non-enthusiast person. They know what Harley Davidson is, though.

I meant brand recognition. Brammo and Zero mean nothing to an average non-enthusiast person. They know what Harley Davidson is, though.

true

My Little Gaming Rig:

Well, if it is that much quieter, I would certainly hate bikers a lot less...that is, if any of them were likely to buy this thing.

Co-incidentally it is also the reason for compensating for much smaller things.

Where's the downvote button when you need it?