GPU Miners crash of 2014

Dietrichw

http://wccftech.com/gpu-miners-crash-2014-arrives-graphic-card-market-shrinking-fall-40/

This crash is wrongly attributed to Bitcoin becoming unprofitable (to mine on GPUs) which is silly because Bitcoin became unprofitable to mine on GPUs as soon as the ASICs came online quite some time ago. However soon after Bitcocin; Litecoin rose to glory, which can be called the second tier of Cryptocurrencies followed closely by ALT Coins such as DOGE Coin etc. So the old Bitcoin rigs were simply reconfigured to mine Litecoins and ALTCoins. However now even the second and third generation cryptocurarencies are becoming unprofitable with SCRYPT-ASICs coming online

Now the main source behind the recent revisitation of this obvious conundrum is DigiTimes which reports the dGPU market could drop by 40% in Q2

considering I'm finding 290's in the $200 range on ebay (-edit I got one for $250) .... some came with waterblocks preinstalled

Most of the ebay listings were saying with summer electricity prices they couldn't be profitable with GPUs for mining

This post has been promoted to an article

I'm really glad I stopped mining before it dropped

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

This is the day I've been waiting for :')

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

This is the day I've been waiting for :')

same here, I was almost hesitant to post this as I didn't want people going on ebay and bidding up the graphics cards I was bidding on

At last.  The wall street crash of bitcoin lol. Ebay is a techies wet dream lol.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I really should be above this, but the absolute shitstorm of dickheads who are into bitcoins, really makes it tough to feel bad for these tools who just hyped this to no end.  How many topics have we had here by "innocents" who just didn't know better about getting into mining? They were tricked into what is fundamentally a pyramid scheme.....We have a great board here where you weren't knocked in the head for dissent, but most other tech boards just had countless of these bitcoin lemmings.

Really, REALLY doubt that many people earned enough to justify their mining investments.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

just have an admin system control the currency refreshed instead of the whole plannet. and have it be a trusted entity.

That, after currnecy is already alive and distributed.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

I really should be above this, but the absolute shitstorm of dickheads who are into bitcoins, really makes it tough to feel bad for these tools who just hyped this to no end.  How many topics have we had here by "innocents" who just didn't know better about getting into mining? They were tricked into what is fundamentally a pyramid scheme.....We have a great board here where you weren't knocked in the head for dissent, but most other tech boards just had countless of these bitcoin lemmings.

Really, REALLY doubt that many people earned enough to justify their mining investments.

To be fair, people looked at it like idiots. "Free money", "no effort", "low entry requirements",.. The worst part is that people told other people which also ended up telling other people and soon enough, most people involved with both gaming and tech had heard of mining. It's funny because mining gets more difficult and less profitable with more people doing it, but they broke through the sweet spot that got people paid easily the same way they killed mining.

I'm one of those gamers that has played countless hours of MMOs or online multiplayer games with a currency that can't be duplicated and an economy that is at least somewhat "stable" or has some form of consistency when it comes to item or work value. Sometimes you feel that these markets, although virtual, can mimic the real world, but you still see all the flaws within them that make them nothing like the real world. Coin mining? Looked exactly like that.

Kind of was a pyramid schemey-looking beast, but I'd say it was just too simple to last long.

Btw, who here is curious of whether or not Newegg (or other retailers) had been using large stocks of their cards for mining in the background?

To be fair, people looked at it like idiots. "Free money", "no effort", "low entry requirements",.. The worst part is that people told other people which also ended up telling other people and soon enough, most people involved with both gaming and tech had heard of mining. It's funny because mining gets more difficult and less profitable with more people doing it, but they broke through the sweet spot that got people paid easily the same way they killed mining.

I'm one of those gamers that has played countless hours of MMOs or online multiplayer games with a currency that can't be duplicated and an economy that is at least somewhat "stable" or has some form of consistency when it comes to item or work value. Sometimes you feel that these markets, although virtual, can mimic the real world, but you still see all the flaws within them that make them nothing like the real world. Coin mining? Looked exactly like that.

Kind of was a pyramid schemey-looking beast, but I'd say it was just too simple to last long.

Btw, who here is curious of whether or not Newegg (or other retailers) had been using large stocks of their cards for mining in the background?

Were some of the people idiots for being interested and chasing the illusion of free money, or as I say, false profits (heh)? Yes, definitely. Though It's it not a pyramid scheme by any stretch of the imagination.

There is no such thing as "free" money, even with Bitcoin and crypto currency mining. Equal effort put in, receives equal reward; Mining is a zero-sum game which is what the sheeple failed to understand. The incentivization is designed in such a way that spending $1000 on "mining" equipment should hopefully balance out and yield roughly $1000 after running costs over a long term period. It was never a method of free money, rather an ingenious way to secure a network without large overhead costs to the people contributing to it.

People were not tricked, or otherwise coerced into mining, the general idea was always if you had the existing hardware there was no upfront costs other than current running costs. If you didn't have the hardware, recommendations to go out and buy hardware by the truckload was a rare sight and quickly shot down. Getting involved with Bitcoin and crypto-currency mining out of greed is not profitable, and never has been. People were victims due to their own lack of knowledge and the continued spread of misinformation.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I'd rather not buy a second hand mining GPU... the thing has probably already worn past half it's lifespan

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

I'd rather not buy a second hand mining GPU... the thing has probably already worn past half it's lifespan

for the right price I will since they are designed to never go over 95 in AMD's case, even with 24/7 use I would expect to have it work for 3-4 years which is fine because by then I'll have more money being out of college and there would be enough performance improvement and feature to justify a new card in 3-4 years

I'm surprised people still even mine to begin with. I'm just part of a pool so I can get small amounts of free moneys.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So now I'm sitting on 20k dogecoin... I hope in a few years it'll be worth something ^^

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Were some of the people idiots for being interested and chasing the illusion of free money, or as I say, false profits (heh)? Yes, definitely. Though It's it not a pyramid scheme by any stretch of the imagination.

There is no such thing as "free" money, even with Bitcoin and crypto currency mining. Equal effort put in, receives equal reward; Mining is a zero-sum game which is what the sheeple failed to understand. The incentivization is designed in such a way that spending $1000 on "mining" equipment should hopefully balance out and yield roughly $1000 after running costs over a long term period. It was never a method of free money, rather an ingenious way to secure a network without large overhead costs to the people contributing to it.

People were not tricked, or otherwise coerced into mining, the general idea was always if you had the existing hardware there was no upfront costs other than current running costs. If you didn't have the hardware, recommendations to go out and buy hardware by the truckload was a rare sight and quickly shot down. Getting involved with Bitcoin and crypto-currency mining out of greed is not profitable, and never has been. People were victims due to their own lack of knowledge and the continued spread of misinformation.

Sorry, but that is just not true. There were so many people who were convinced into buying huge mining rigs, combined with an "Oh my god, the rest of the world is so stupid that they aren't getting on this bandwagon.....see you later losers when we are millionaires!"

Spend one day on bitcointalk 7-8 months ago, and you would see nothing else...

Agreed

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I have a couple of a friends who are, to be blunt, obnoxious assholes on the subject. 

You see, back when mining was still profitable for some and the R9 cards just coming out + mantel, I was really hyping up AMD for a bit. Nvidia gpus do suck for mining, none of this has really changed, I was stating how much better Radeon cards were for this task. Was also genuinely interested in this new API. The price to performance of these cards pre inflation were also great. When a friend countered with how bad Ati was, I had to facepalm since Ati hasn't existed in ages and the AMD takeover feels like forever ago now. Keep in mind, this was also when these altcoins had higher value. In fact, I ragged on how stupid cryptocurrency was and had members in this very forum telling me how full of shit I was..my my how did that majorly backfire in their faces.

I did try mining after trying to be more open minded, end result? High powerbill that month plus useless coins with low value. I stopped that very month and interest kept declining. Eventually, the hyperinflation caused by liteminers was starting to bring back my hatred of this scheme. Once the bubble popped and the cards tanked for cheap ebay prices..even a member on LTT posting how he regretted getting involved with the amount of hardware he invested it not paying off, I knew this was dead. /Now/ when I interject about gpu suggestions if a friend is curious about upgrade path, I tell them if their card can make it, wait till 2015 for the 20nm chips. I try to tell them how amazingly efficient the GTX 750 Ti is and how it'd only get way better. Suggesting Nvidia now prompts them to bring up old irrelevant crap about how I was suggesting AMD back then and suddenly Nvidia now. It makes me wish it were legal to take a hammer to their faces. 

What changed? GPU mining became completely useless, the wasted electricity cost is bad, Nvidia released the 750 Ti which only gives great hope for next gen GPUs. Because OMG it's impossible to have an opinion change within /months/. When something challenges an opinion and proves it wrong, only a deluded fool continues to support something. 

I for one have more interest in a new gpu that has a high performance to watt ratio than give a damn about cryptocurrency these days. As stated by a few others, many did waste lots of cash and treated it like a non effort get rich quick scheme. For those who mined with existing hardware that made a nice profit and stopped in time, you did it right. For those that bought lots of hardware banking on this being a full proof success, you did it wrong.

Does this mean GPUs can come back down to reasonable prices? 

*Checks eBay*

Yup. R9 290s for 200-250. Who cares if they were mined with? Get 2 for 400-500 and have a field day. Hell, get two anyways. Why not? Thats near flagship performance for what amounts to entry level money. I approve. 

Not even in the market for a new GPU but man I might pick one up with these prices...

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Sorry, but that is just not true. There were so many people who were convinced into buying huge mining rigs, combined with an "Oh my god, the rest of the world is so stupid that they aren't getting on this bandwagon.....see you later losers when we are millionaires!"

Spend one day on bitcointalk 7-8 months ago, and you would see nothing else...

I've spent years on bitcointalk forums under a few various names and I disagree with that sentiment. Every rally in bitcoins history has been met with greedy new comers followed by the market being over bought, then a swift correction. That correction has settled higher than the previous highs with no exceptions to date. That's not to say it's a pattern, a trend, or that will continue, but based on past performance and analysis even the layman see there might be something more to this whole Bitcoin thing even if the concept of mining doesn't make sense to them. Under their own volition they chose to invest in mining hardware versus buying coin directly; Despite the many people who recommended at least a split "investment" between hardware and coins. Their mind was made up that they were buying hardware for greed and profit. Creation of pumping threads and circle jerking that went on in various forums was a way for the ill-informed and misinformed to try and justify their recent or potential purchase. They had little to no intention of learning about, or using Bitcoin which is what led to their poor purchases.

Even the potentially poor, and perhaps misguided purchases of GPU farms are still profitable to run today. When mining is done correctly, they still more than pay for their running costs and can see a return. As I said above, the incentive structure in mining is a zero-sum game; Being driven purely by greed and profit will be your downfall in this emerging economy. The sell off of gpu's is a more pre-preemptive than immediate move with the introduction of highly cost efficient scrypt ASICs. GPU mining isn't going anywhere, it's shifting to different algorithms.

Crypto-currencies are actively changing the world, global commerce, and how we view money; are you suggesting that the idea of an "early" adopter doesn't merit high risk high reward enthusiasm? Going back 8 months ago, if you purchased bitcoin it's value is now 4 times greater today. The risk would certainly have paid off. If you purchased Bitcoins at nearly any point in it's history and held for 1 year you would not have experienced a loss. 

Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Some might see the cheap 290s on eBay and think of buying. However, think of this: do you really want a GPU that ran 24/7 at 100% load, possibly OC'ed?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Some might see the cheap 290s on eBay and think of buying. However, think of this: do you really want a GPU that ran 24/7 at 100% load, possibly OC'ed?

The majority of miners ran and cared for the cards far better than any general consumer.

Instability, and downtime directly reflected mining potential. Mining requires a balance of settings including power consumption, not always a max overclock. Most cards will have been undervolted and run at settings that maximized hashrate without hitting stability or temperature issues. Buying a previous mining card, you should be able to ask the seller anything you could possibly want to know about the card such as the upper limits of it's stability for overclocks, underclocks, efficiencies, running temps, fan speeds, etc. Unless they are willfully committing fraud, you can trust and find out far more about a miners card than a card from a random "gamer".

Buy MSI, XFX, or Gigabyte. I believe they take RMA based on serial numbers if you have a problem.

Just make sure the GPU comes with all the stickers. 

The majority of miners ran and cared for the cards far better than any general consumer.

Instability, and downtime directly reflected mining potential. Mining requires a balance of settings including power consumption, not always a max overclock. Most cards will have been undervolted and run at settings that maximized hashrate without hitting stability or temperature issues. Buying a previous mining card, you should be able to ask the seller anything you could possibly want to know about the card such as the upper limits of it's stability for overclocks, underclocks, efficiencies, running temps, fan speeds, etc. Unless they are willfully committing fraud, you can trust and find out far more about a miners card than a card from a random "gamer".

I really think you're giving far too many people the benefit of doubt when it comes to that.

Yes, a good miner will want to have all the efficiencies checked out to maximize profit/kWH and be sure their hardware lasts as long as possible to pay itself off but you're talking about Hawaii and Hawaii XT video cards, as well as what I believe would be Sapphire Dual-X/TOXICs and Asus DCUII for the most common mining cards, which are notorious for their issues anyway.

Gotta keep in mind that getting some of your money back is better than getting no money back, esp. when you have thousands of dollars invested in hardware you will never use again. Some people might think it's cool that they have 13 7950s and a bunch of 280Xs sitting in a crate deck in their garage or basement, never being used again, but I think that reimbursing part of your $11,000+ investment might be a good idea when coins are all but worthless to mine to the vast majority of these miners. And now multiply that one situation when buying a GPU by a few thousand, perhaps looking outside of ebay but keeping in mind how inconsistent your good results from a used card will be.

Ghetto mounting box fans all over the place instead of using what should be adequate server bank AC for such operations probably doesn't help or give good impressions either.. And, as always, 24/7 operation in these conditions will be far worse than 4-10 hours of 80-90% usage during gaming in the average gaming rig.