Shatter proof touchscreen technology

BallGum

Phones these days are pretty well built and hard to break. The only real weakness has always been the screen. While it may be scratch proof, it is easily smashed from a drop onto the pavement.

However, that heart-in-mouth moment can be averted, thanks to scientists at the University of Akron. In a recently published scientific paper they have demonstrated how a transparent layer of electrodes on a polymer surface could be extremely tough, flexible yet withstand peeling and bending tests.

This could replace conventional touchscreen technology, and also allow truly flexible touchscreen displays. Currently, coatings of idium tin oxide are used for the touch sensitive component of the screen, which is brittle and more likely to shatter. It is also increasingly costly.

For this reason there is a drive to find a replacement technology. The new film provides greater conductivity, as well as the ability to retain its shape after numerous bending tests. If commercially viable, the technology may find its way into smartphones.

**Taken from my blog: http://theballofgum.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/shatter-proof-screens-are-reality.html **

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Phones these days are pretty well built and hard to break. The only real weakness has always been the screen. While it may be scratch proof, it is easily smashed from a drop onto the pavement.

However, that heart-in-mouth moment can be averted, thanks to scientists at the University of Akron. In a recently published scientific paper they have demonstrated how a transparent layer of electrodes on a polymer surface could be extremely tough, flexible yet withstand peeling and bending tests.

This could replace conventional touchscreen technology, and also allow truly flexible touchscreen displays. Currently, coatings of idium tin oxide are used for the touch sensitive component of the screen, which is brittle and more likely to shatter. It is also increasingly costly.

For this reason there is a drive to find a replacement technology. The new film provides greater conductivity, as well as the ability to retain its shape after numerous bending tests. If commercially viable, the technology may find its way into smartphones.

**Taken from my blog: http://theballofgum.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/shatter-proof-screens-are-reality.html **

Seems interesting but we'll have to wait.

i'm a potato

...still waiting for graphene :P

That mythical technology...

As soon as it's commercially viable everything will change :)

Shatter resistant plz :P or i will go find a granade

this, the term shatter-proof can be misleading. heh

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

Shatter resistant plz :P or i will go find a granade

I said shatter proof, not bomb proof :P

MASSIVE distinction.

Seems interesting but we'll have to wait.

This statement practically defines the tech industry.

I said shatter proof, not bomb proof :P

MASSIVE distinction.

if it shatters the screen its misleading anyhow :) 

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

if it shatters the screen its misleading anyhow :)

I guess my argument just got ...shattered...

shatterproof screens

otherwise known as BUY A DAMN CASE FOR YOUR PHONE!

Most cases don't help much, and the ones that do are literally massive.

A technology built into the device would be far better

Maybe I'm wrong but currently, if the screen wouldn't crack the impact that requires that it's great enough that the force would be transferred to the motherboard and break it the fuck off anyway, I mean it's not like you could fit padding or some other stuff to make it shock resistant inside such a tiny form factor anyway.

-------

Current Rig

-------

shatterproof screens

otherwise known as BUY A DAMN CASE FOR YOUR PHONE!

I should not have to make my phone larger than it already is, I bought it party because of the size that it was

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Sony's high end smartphones have had shaterproof technology but it only consists of a thick screen protector. But of course there could always damage to the inside of the display. And it is not scratch proof like gorilla glass because it is plastic.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite