How to get my website recognized? (kronofiles.com)

I'd ditch the staff page entirely. You have a team of 3 young folks with no portfolio to speak of. If you guys have a portfolio, put it there. Your age and lack of experience worries me. 

Agreed, or at least make it look more professional, with some professional photos and more in depth write up

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Ha, I've never used forums before and I'm really tired. As to the building a website part, lynda.com...

lynda is awesome TBF teaches so much

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

your website, you may want to consider changing few things, like how all of your links onpen in a new tab, that gets anoying quickly also higlight the page your on in the nav and kill the link just stops people clicking the same link that there on already

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I am trying to get my website http://kronofiles.com recognized but am having issues on where to market it and where I could get the most traffic from. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to get my site noticed?

All you have to do is put the search tag "largest real boobs on the planet" Your site would get so much traffic it will freeze. 

Upon going to your site i saw you and your friends put your faces and names on the site, :rolleyes: man oh man that was not smart for a site like yours. You guys just went on the watch list  :P

I'll be seeing you and your administrators in the news some time i guess.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

All you have to do is put the search tag "largest real boobs on the planet" Your site would get so much traffic it will freeze. 

Upon going to your site i saw you and your friends put your faces and names on the site, :rolleyes: man oh man that was not smart for a site like yours. You guys just went on the watch list  :P

I'll be seeing you and your administrators in the news some time i guess.

What do you mean we'll be on the watch list?

Kronofiles - Quickly, Easily, and Securely share your files with anyone! http://kronofiles.com

How do I edit my post?

So hang on, you are a "lead developer" on a site that advertises it has "all files are triple encrypted and will automatically delete after the time that you specified in the drop down menu ensuring that you can feel safe about sharing your files with us" and you can't even find the "quote" and "edit" buttons by yourself? Sorry, but somehow I wouldn't feel safe using that site after this...

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

Hmmm. My guess is that, that is your site and you came here to advertise it.

Reasons why I think that.

1. You joined 6 minutes ago and this is the first post you made.
  2. You were browsing the web for a site that does that and you found a site that is in development, has no activity on its FaceBook/Twitter/Google+/Instagram.
  3. The amount of tags you used for a site you "found", the first few tags I understand, but the ones that only the creator would post are "code, programming, web development, programmer". Most people wouldn't bother posting that.

So I am going to post this as you are new.

If I am wrong then I am sorry, but what I see does make it look like you are advertising a site you made.

I dont remember if advertising your site in a post is a rule problem, but if it is tech related it shouldn't be a huge issue right?

I mean he isn't trying to steal the linustech audience because its not a tech forum or competitor of any type

I feel sad if people cant share what they created on a forum, thats usually how they grow 

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

well its file hosting right?

File hosting sites get the biggest flak and hit from copyright lol

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

What do you think, Rapidshare and all the others have been targeted or being targeted and your website seems to be something similar. The "powers" that police the internet like the rancid NSA and their "babies" gather information and destroy website like yours once they do not like the website, which is to say does not have access to the information transferred, which leads me to believe in the "Project Total Information" which is being bandied about the interwebs.

Now i could be paranoid but if your site falls into their scope of websites to track for "illegal activity", so what do you think will happen now that your faces have been posted on your very site?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I had typed up a long post about the scalability of your hosting, some technical bugs, and design issues... but then I realised you guys are young and trying to make a go of something which is commendable... so I deleted the post and instead will simply say good luck. 

If you want my advice I'd be happy to provide it but I decided it looked bad coming in here with advice that wasn't solicited.

well its file hosting right?

File hosting sites get the biggest flak and hit from copyright lol

It is not file hosting, it is file sharing. The files automatically delete after a certain amount of time.

Kronofiles - Quickly, Easily, and Securely share your files with anyone! http://kronofiles.com

I had typed up a long post about the scalability of your hosting, some technical bugs, and design issues... but then I realised you guys are young and trying to make a go of something which is commendable... so I deleted the post and instead will simply say good luck. 

If you want my advice I'd be happy to provide it but I decided it looked bad coming in here with advice that wasn't solicited.

I would appreciate any advice that you have to offer.

I dont remember if advertising your site in a post is a rule problem, but if it is tech related it shouldn't be a huge issue right?

I mean he isn't trying to steal the linustech audience because its not a tech forum or competitor of any type

I feel sad if people cant share what they created on a forum, thats usually how they grow 

if you didnt do this every other post would be adverts

It is not file hosting, it is file sharing. The files automatically delete after a certain amount of time.

lol because thats so much more unlikely to get targeted!

if you didnt do this every other post would be adverts

lol because thats so much more unlikely to get targeted!

If we don't own the files there is no possible way that anyone could target us. I will research into this today.

So hang on, you are a "lead developer" on a site that advertises it has "all files are triple encrypted and will automatically delete after the time that you specified in the drop down menu ensuring that you can feel safe about sharing your files with us" and you can't even find the "quote" and "edit" buttons by yourself? Sorry, but somehow I wouldn't feel safe using that site after this...

At the time of posting this I was exhausted and couldn't count to 10 without passing out. 

Hmmm. My guess is that, that is your site and you came here to advertise it.

Reasons why I think that.

1. You joined 6 minutes ago and this is the first post you made.
  2. You were browsing the web for a site that does that and you found a site that is in development, has no activity on its FaceBook/Twitter/Google+/Instagram.
  3. The amount of tags you used for a site you "found", the first few tags I understand, but the ones that only the creator would post are "code, programming, web development, programmer". Most people wouldn't bother posting that.

So I am going to post this as you are new.

If I am wrong then I am sorry, but what I see does make it look like you are advertising a site you made.

I could see how you would think this is My site but honestly it is not. I really wanted to see what the community thought about it and if anyone else could get use out of it.

Very Interesting Profiles pics match

<snip>

I am trying to get my website http://kronofiles.com recognized but am having issues on where to market it and where I could get the most traffic from. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to get my site noticed?

Oh god I nearly died with laughter. Good luck with the website OP.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

The words of jesse cox youtuber extraordinaire. ADVERTISE LIKE A SHAMELESS WHORE! Go anywhere you can that gives you a free voice and use it. Just keep chuggin away at it and when it's finished I will probably look into it and use it. Best of luck to you and hope it all works out : D 

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

The words of jesse cox youtuber extraordinaire. ADVERTISE LIKE A SHAMELESS WHORE! Go anywhere you can that gives you a free voice and use it. Just keep chuggin away at it and when it's finished I will probably look into it and use it. Best of luck to you and hope it all works out : D 

Looks like he's already doing a little bit of that.

Thanks for the support :D

hint: research  National Security Letters

...i do like the sound of 'triple encryption' ^^

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

hint: research  National Security Letters

...i do like the sound of 'triple encryption' ^^

Would these help with the issue of getting shut down?...

Just read a bit about it, and it sounds horrible.

I would appreciate any advice that you have to offer.

Please take this as constructive advice, it is not meant to highlight things that are "wrong" merely things to consider or improve upon as you move forward.

1. Hosting & Income

Your hosting provider Hosting24 doesn't appear to be particularly scalable. Their largest VPS is 80GB of storage and 8TB of monthly transfer which if your site takes off the way you hope it will is going to be insufficient. Now, you could of course create multiple VMs and configure some kind of load balancing and send the files to whichever web servers have room but you'd likely be better off with hosting that allows you to scale storage affordably without adding additional servers and complicating your setup. 

While there may come a time in the future where you need additional web servers and load balancing they should be added to deal with load not simply because you need more storage which is often the issue with hosting companies like this one which aren't really designed for projects that plan to store huge amounts of data even temporarily. 

As the project grows and becomes more successful you need to consider storage optimised EC2 hosting or even colo hosting with either a SAN or large DAS.  To that end you want to make sure the business is making money from day one so when it comes time to scale you can afford to do so; selling ad space and selling premium service are usually how companies do this... premium service would be for example "Upload up to 100MB files for free, or up to 1GB files with pro membership." or allowing longer expiry times with pro membership and charging $5-10/mo for it. 

2. Design considerations

2.1 "Under construction" pages have fallen out of practice especially with the importance of SEO. When a page like your "About" page has nothing on it you're better off to remove it from the menu and act like it doesn't exist than to put up a "stuff will go here" page. When you have content for the page that's when you add it. You can have filler pages and placeholders in your dev environment but only content that's actually ready for production should be in production. (On that note I would remove the orange under construction bar as well; you're website will always be changing there is no need to draw attention to it.)

2.2 "Delete After" should match the text of the buttons on either side. It doesn't need to be the same colour but it should be the same font, font-weight, and text-transform. If you make it capitalised and the same size as the buttons it will look a lot better. You should also consider a downward arrow at the right to indicate that it's a selectable option.

2.3 Use of a target=... Opening your menu items (about, contact, etc) in new tabs is annoying to the end user. Remove the "target=" from your a tags.

3. Legal Considerations

Whoever pointed out the legalities of file hosting wasn't wrong. Operating as "file sharing" actually makes you more responsible for preventing copyright infringement. If I upload a file to dropbox that is copyrighted but I don't share it with anyone there's nothing wrong being done... as soon as I share it that's when it's an issue and your service facilities sharing.

You need a copyright disclaimer, a mechanism for the submission of DMCA takedown requests, and I would highly recommend automating it... Although your files won't be indexed by Google they could still wind up on forums or other noticeable places so you're likely to get a number of takedown requests. (see: http://zippyshare.com/sites/dmca.html as an example)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_aspects_of_file_sharing

4. Backups and disclaimers

You mentioned somewhere that you don't backup files and once they're gone, they're gone... Your hosting company however advertises backups as being standard as part of their hosting plans... So while you're not backing up the data, the data is being backed up. You need to disclaim that and find out and disclaim how long the backups are stored for. 

You could also get the hosting company to disable the backups and do your own backups of just the application and not the files using cron and dump the backups somewhere else.

5. "Triple encrypted."

Sounds like something they would say on a shitty TV show trying to be technical right before they use boats crossing eachother in the water as an analogy for IRC (Numb3rs). You should post a proper technical explanation of what's being done.

That doesn't mean you need to give away your encryption methods but it does mean you explain it in a way that will actually give confidence to potential users... Ie, "Your files are converted to an encrypted zip file on the client side so the unencrypted files are never stored or read by our servers, they're then uploaded to our systems over SSL where they reside on an encrypted drive until their expiry time arrives at which point they're securely deleted with a single pass of 0s.. All files are given a random filename and random URL which will never be indexed by Google or other search engines" Or whatever it is you're doing behind the scenes.

on that note...

6. To SSL or not

SSL is a good idea as someone mentioned but a lot of upload-and-share services don't bother because they aren't meant for overly sensitive files in the first place. A certificate from a trusted authority isn't going to be cheap and right now it's probably a waste of money. The point where you need to worry about SSL is the point where you start allowing people to password protect their files and move towards temporary cloud storage not just filesharing. 

Good luck...

Please take this as constructive advice, it is not meant to highlight things that are "wrong" merely things to consider or improve upon as you move forward.

1. Hosting & Income

Your hosting provider Hosting24 doesn't appear to be particularly scalable. Their largest VPS is 80GB of storage and 8TB of monthly transfer which if your site takes off the way you hope it will is going to be insufficient. Now, you could of course create multiple VMs and configure some kind of load balancing and send the files to whichever web servers have room but you'd likely be better off with hosting that allows you to scale storage affordably without adding additional servers and complicating your setup. 

While there may come a time in the future where you need additional web servers and load balancing they should be added to deal with load not simply because you need more storage which is often the issue with hosting companies like this one which aren't really designed for projects that plan to store huge amounts of data even temporarily. 

As the project grows and becomes more successful you need to consider storage optimised EC2 hosting or even colo hosting with either a SAN or large DAS.  To that end you want to make sure the business is making money from day one so when it comes time to scale you can afford to do so; selling ad space and selling premium service are usually how companies do this... premium service would be for example "Upload up to 100MB files for free, or up to 1GB files with pro membership." or allowing longer expiry times with pro membership and charging $5-10/mo for it. 

2. Design considerations

2.1 "Under construction" pages have fallen out of practice especially with the importance of SEO. When a page like your "About" page has nothing on it you're better off to remove it from the menu and act like it doesn't exist than to put up a "stuff will go here" page. When you have content for the page that's when you add it. You can have filler pages and placeholders in your dev environment but only content that's actually ready for production should be in production. (On that note I would remove the orange under construction bar as well; you're website will always be changing there is no need to draw attention to it.)

2.2 "Delete After" should match the text of the buttons on either side. It doesn't need to be the same colour but it should be the same font, font-weight, and text-transform. If you make it capitalised and the same size as the buttons it will look a lot better. You should also consider a downward arrow at the right to indicate that it's a selectable option.

2.3 Use of a target=... Opening your menu items (about, contact, etc) in new tabs is annoying to the end user. Remove the "target=" from your a tags.

3. Legal Considerations

Whoever pointed out the legalities of file hosting wasn't wrong. Operating as "file sharing" actually makes you more responsible for preventing copyright infringement. If I upload a file to dropbox that is copyrighted but I don't share it with anyone there's nothing wrong being done... as soon as I share it that's when it's an issue and your service facilities sharing.

You need a copyright disclaimer, a mechanism for the submission of DMCA takedown requests, and I would highly recommend automating it... Although your files won't be indexed by Google they could still wind up on forums or other noticeable places so you're likely to get a number of takedown requests. (see: http://zippyshare.com/sites/dmca.html as an example)

You mentioned somewhere that you don't backup files and once they're gone, they're gone... Your hosting company however advertises backups as being standard as part of their hosting plans... So while you're not backing up the data, the data is being backed up. You need to disclaim that and find out and disclaim how long the backups are stored for. 

You could also get the hosting company to disable the backups and do your own backups of just the application and not the files using cron and dump the backups somewhere else.

5. "Triple encrypted."

Sounds like something they would say on a shitty TV show trying to be technical right before they use boats crossing eachother in the water as an analogy for IRC (

). You should post a proper technical explanation of what's being done.

That doesn't mean you need to give away your encryption methods but it does mean you explain it in a way that will actually give confidence to potential users... Ie, "Your files are converted to an encrypted zip file on the client side so the unencrypted files are never stored or read by our servers, they're then uploaded to our systems over SSL where they reside on an encrypted drive until their expiry time arrives at which point they're securely deleted with a single pass of 0s.. All files are given a random filename and random URL which will never be indexed by Google or other search engines" Or whatever it is you're doing behind the scenes.

on that note...

6. To SSL or not

SSL is a good idea as someone mentioned but a lot of upload-and-share services don't bother because they aren't meant for overly sensitive files in the first place. A certificate from a trusted authority isn't going to be cheap and right now it's probably a waste of money. The point where you need to worry about SSL is the point where you start allowing people to password protect their files and move towards temporary cloud storage not just filesharing. 

Good luck...

Thanks for all this information. Right at this moment I am changing the buttons, links and banner on the home page.

1. Hosting & Income

2. Design considerations

3. Legal Considerations

5. "Triple encrypted."

Sounds like something they would say on a shitty TV show trying to be technical right before they use boats crossing eachother in the water as an analogy for IRC (Numb3rs). You should post a proper technical explanation of what's being done.

on that note...

6. To SSL or not

Good luck...

I just updated the home page and think it looks better

I just updated the home page and think it looks better

Looking better but I think you have some browser compatibility issues in your CSS:

Chrome (Windows)

Tt9Ujwg.png

FireFox (Windows)

6Rx7hDk.png

IE10 (Windows (obv))

45JIoQQ.png

It seems to be down right now but https://browsershots.org/ will show you what your website looks like in a whole bunch of different browsers all at once.