Haswell Refresh Details Leaked. $399 PLS 4K Monitors.

lcater95

1440p monitors are getting skipped and if u buy one now your going to be a sucker 4k prices have gone down so fast this isnt surprising.

Meanwhile, in realism world; people who are not senseless prefer 1080p/ 1200p/ 1440p/ 1600p for gaming, where it's still possible to hit 60 FPS without three graphics cards on relevant titles.

I have a friend who recently bought a 4K display, he's got dual 7970s and he's equally anticipating The Witcher 3 and Star Citizen. When he plays those games he'll feel like an idiot when he either has to downscale to 1080p anyway, or play on low settings and even then with dips under 30 FPS.

4K is irrelevant for high-end gaming for quite a few more years.

Also, browsing websites and windows on a 4K display feels like an enema and lobotomy at the same time.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Guys you are missing the big picture here

SCRABBLE

Also windows sucks at this

Think of the minesweeper maps you could have on a 4k screen.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Think of the minesweeper maps you could have on a 4k screen.

oh my god....0.2 fps though :(

When are they going to make minesweeper support gysnc and 3d

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Meanwhile, in realism world; people who are not senseless prefer 1080p/ 1200p/ 1440p/ 1600p for gaming, where it's still possible to hit 60 FPS without three graphics cards on relevant titles.

I have a friend who recently bought a 4K display, he's got dual 7970s and he's equally anticipating The Witcher 3 and Star Citizen. When he plays those games he'll feel like an idiot when he either has to downscale to 1080p anyway, or play on low settings and even then with dips under 30 FPS.

4K is irrelevant for high-end gaming for quite a few more years.

Also, browsing websites and windows on a 4K display feels like an enema and lobotomy at the same time.

4K is not just for gaming!!!! and so what if u cant play it u can still play at 1080p then when 4k is able to be played at 60fps without ridiculous hardware u upgrade your gpu and who the hell is going to have 1 webpage open im talking about having multiple web browsers open a stream open adobe after effects open all on the one screen at the same time its a dream!!

Ogod...this thread..the floors are so sticky..users everywhere wanting to rub themselves on a 4k display..and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa more random advertisement for the surface pro as well. So much, i just can't...

I'm going to leave this thread with a "4K, even at 24" for 399usd is pretty neat considering 4K is becoming less a buzzword and something more serious. GUI scaling can be an issue, but this isn't going to be the case forever."

For the rest of the hysterical members..CALM DOWN!

If this monitor supports Freesync, I'll switch back to AMD GPUs.

4K is not just for gaming!!!! and so what if u cant play it u can still play at 1080p then when 4k is able to be played at 60fps without ridiculous hardware u upgrade your gpu and who the hell is going to have 1 webpage open im talking about having multiple web browsers open a stream open adobe after effects open all on the one screen at the same time its a dream!!

^ completely false. That was the only thing my 4k monitor did well.. it looked incredible on gaming. It was just the desktop that looked like shit.  I had 60 fps on every game but metro off a single 780, i disabled SLI Just because to see what it ran like. The only games that needed more ummpphh was metro last lite. and valley. This was only an issue with AA cranked. other then that a 780 is plenty.

23.6" 4k monitor. if only i could afford it :( maybe in 5-6 years i will be able to buy one of these. 

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Seems like even intel is saying Devil's canyon will be compatible with Z87 boards as I expected! xD.

So I am the only one excited about unlocked Pentiums I take it?

^ completely false. That was the only thing my 4k monitor did well.. it looked incredible on gaming. It was just the desktop that looked like shit.  I had 60 fps on every game but metro off a single 780, i disabled SLI Just because to see what it ran like. The only games that needed more ummpphh was metro last lite. and valley. This was only an issue with AA cranked. other then that a 780 is plenty.

Considering my 780 has issues with some games at 1440p, and I have to turn down settings, I'm not sure what you are talking about...

Something seems fishy...

Intel has dirt on Samsung for price fixing monitors and threatened them unless Samsung gives Intel credit for being the one to bring the prices down?  :ph34r:

So I am the only one excited about unlocked Pentiums I take it?

Considering my 780 has issues with some games at 1440p, and I have to turn down settings, I'm not sure what you are talking about...

Intel has dirt on Samsung for price fixing monitors and threatened them unless Samsung gives Intel credit for being the one to bring the prices down?  :ph34r:

OH KNOWS HE HIT 59 fps in one second of one game lol!  oh darn! what we ever do!

Finally, a date for the pentiums

I'm half tempted to get one of those to replace my 4670. That nostalgia of overclocking a Pentium...

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Considering that 1440p monitors are just starting to hit that price point, 4k monitors probably wont be that cheap for a while. However, if 4k monitors get that low and are still high quality soon, I am surely picking one up as soon as i can.

4k monitors will drop substantially faster than 1440p because it will be a mainstream resolution. More sales = lower prices.

It's possible...I'm keeping my hopes up :)

but 24" is way too small for a 4k monitor...

I guess you should talk to Dell about their 24" 4k monitor mistake..

It looks fine, btw.

24inch 4K is not way to small. Look at a Surface Pro, The PPI is about the same.

I wear glasses and I have no problem using my Surface Pro at 100% DPI all the time.

As for the 400$ 4K. Intel is not making the monitor. This is their (with Samsung) prediction of the cost of 4K monitors based on current market pricing, and the drop in price it had and is having. That is all. And what isn't clear, is... is that the 400$ the panel itself, or 400$ the entire monitor.

I'd imagine since they said monitor they mean monitor, not panel. Especially since they mentioned a $999 AIO.

If you look at the monitors listed, it's Viewsonic and another brand. Not Samsung. I imagine it's just their panels inside the other companies shells.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

this price for 4K is simply too good to be true, the only way this would be possible is if Intel were to subsidize them

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

4k monitors will drop substantially faster than 1440p because it will be a mainstream resolution. More sales = lower prices.

I agree with this, though it makes me really sad. I don't WANT a 4K monitor. I WANT a 1440p monitor. It's just hard to justify not getting a PB287Q over a PB278Q, if for nothing other than newer port standards. If the TN is nice enough I don't really care that it's not PLS. I have my U2414H's for side monitors, my middle can be a TN if it looks nice enough straight on...

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

I tend to disagree as if u have 4 programs open on the one screen the scaling would just be set to 1080p which is fine also scaling will get better as 4k becomes more mainstream and this is what this is going to be doing making 4k mainstream good to know a 780 can run 4k tho i tried playing simcity at downscalewed 4k on everything high not ultra and AA off and it was only running at 30fps on my single 780 might just be simcity tho.

I tend to disagree as if u have 4 programs open on the one screen the scaling would just be set to 1080p which is fine also scaling will get better as 4k becomes more mainstream and this is what this is going to be doing making 4k mainstream good to know a 780 can run 4k tho i tried playing simcity at downscalewed 4k on everything high not ultra and AA off and it was only running at 30fps on my single 780 might just be simcity tho.

i downstreamed 4k on on 1440p and got 40 fps on the same game on a native 4k monitor got 60 fps. fake 4k isnt the same as real 4k on a gpu lol  if you can read 4-5 point font at 30 inchs away from your monitor and it not strain your eyes all day everyday . then a 183 PPi + is for you. It has nothing to do with the resolution its the fact windows makes font icons and everything you see that isnt native 4k extremely small. It is not the same as out microsofts reps surface pro. it is not the same as a cellphone. on windows its poorly implemented weather its due to windows or the programs affiliated with it. if you scale everything up to a readible leave 150-200 dpi it pretty much just strechs everything. fonts appear bold and blurry. Icons videos etc appear blurry and disorted. again games look fantastic because there actually rendered at the proper resolution , its software that is not

I agree with this, though it makes me really sad. I don't WANT a 4K monitor. I WANT a 1440p monitor. It's just hard to justify not getting a PB287Q over a PB278Q, if for nothing other than newer port standards. If the TN is nice enough I don't really care that it's not PLS. I have my U2414H's for side monitors, my middle can be a TN if it looks nice enough straight on...

In this case, just get what fits your needs. We don't have a timetable for these things yet, just a roadmap with projections, not concrete dates.

And 4K content needs to start ramping up for this to work at maximum benefit, since there are still going to be issues before we can get 4K in the same place that 1080p is in now (If that's even likely in the near future). Lets also not forget that we don't have the graphical GPU chops to run 4K well on a single card yet, so there's that consideration.

Makes me wonder when Nvidia and AMD decide to release those aformentioned cards.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

In this case, just get what fits your needs. We don't have a timetable for these things yet, just a roadmap with projections, not concrete dates.

And 4K content needs to start ramping up for this to work at maximum benefit, since there are still going to be issues before we can get 4K in the same place that 1080p is in now (If that's even likely in the near future). Lets also not forget that we don't have the graphical GPU chops to run 4K well on a single card yet, so there's that consideration.

Makes me wonder when Nvidia and AMD decide to release those aformentioned cards.

define 4k content on a pc? lol exactly . almost every single game has high resolution textures. the only game that i ran into that was an issue was left for dead 2.  desktop is as big as your resolution  multiple tasking  is amazing on larger resolutiion. my grip is scaling on windows not the actual resolution.

I bet you read alot on CNET or Cosumer reports.  lol

I'm half tempted to get one of those to replace my 4670. That nostalgia of overclocking a Pentium...

probably not worth it. With only 2 cores you might actually lose performance.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

If 4k drops to $400 when I finally get a job I might spent some of my check on one if it's good enough. Jumping from 1680x1050 to 3840x2160 (or 4096x2160) would be gigantic.

probably not worth it. With only 2 cores you might actually lose performance.

Oh, I'm sure I will. It's a 4670K @ 4.6GHz. It's just for the nostalgia...

My ITX:

I may just pick up 2 asus z97-ws boards 1 for my main rig and 1 for my nas build with the pentium.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress