What is the optimal time in between new pc builds?

trainergames

If you were to sell you old build to help fund the next build,what is the optimal time in between the build?

Factoring in stuff like how much parts with be worth later on,and the extra cost of the new parts vs the proformance gain.

Example i have heard some people say it's best to spend $1500-$2000,and not upgrade for 3 years or more,and others have said spend $1000 and upgrade every year.

What do you guys think?

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

Well, the changes between generations aren't constant, so there's no one answer.  For example there's been very little performance increase on the Intel side since 2011, so even those people are almost as well off as people just building a Z97 rig now, other than less modern motherboard I/O.  In general I'd say $1250-$1500 with a 3-5 year cycle will keep you with relevant hardware, but that's a very approximate answer.  It all depends on what kind of show each future hardware release puts up.

Personally, ideally, I'd spend about £3k initially, then upgrade every 2 years or so.

The upgrades would probably include motherboard, gpu, cpu and waterblocks.

I wouldn't upgrade the storage, memory, PSU, peripherals, watercooling loop or case as often as that; unless something game changing was released.

For a gaming build, I'd recommend spending more than you think you need on everything except the GPU, and keep everything except the GPU for as long as you can.

I say this because, for example, people who bought a 2600K and a decent-ish motherboard 3 years back, need only upgrade their GPU to play current games. Stuff like more storage, an SSD, more RAM, etc can be added whenever and be kept for 5+ years at a time.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

@trainergames

Always upgrade 3 generation ahead of your current hardware. Any less and the return becomes negligible... any more and you will have a hard time running the latest software/ games etc.

A full build I say 3-5 years. For me now its usually closer to the 3 as thats right about when intel takes a big step on the enthusiast platform. But I could easily go 5 if not more if cash strapped.

Well, the changes between generations aren't constant, so there's no one answer.  For example there's been very little performance increase on the Intel side since 2011, so even those people are almost as well off as people just building a Z97 rig now, other than less modern motherboard I/O.  In general I'd say $1250-$1500 with a 3-5 year cycle will keep you with relevant hardware, but that's a very approximate answer.  It all depends on what kind of show each future hardware release puts up.

You and I think very much alike at times.

@trainergames

Always upgrade 3 generation ahead of your current hardware. Any less and the return becomes negligible... any more and you will have a hard time running the latest software/ games etc.

Not really to say the least since 3 generations of main stream is just 3 years. I still regularly use a i7-920 and a Phenom II 965 BE without issue.

upgrades no fuck that this shitty shit shit have already costed me a car

cheap car? also 65GB :P

cheap car? also 65GB :P

just went over the total build cost 10862ish dollars :P so you tell me what kind of car that is huehue.

and yes my bios tells me i have 65 gigs lol is a semiserious joke. 

Not really to say the least since 3 generations of main stream is just 3 years. I still regularly use a i7-920 and a Phenom II 965 BE without issue.

In 3 generations I do not include refresh versions.

Say for example ~ someone had a Nehalem processor, then he will need to skip Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell and upgrade directly to Broadwell(which will be bad and he should just stretch it to Skylake :|)

just went over the total build cost 10862ish dollars :P so you tell me what kind of car that is huehue.

am confused, how was your build almost 11,000 dollars? did you pay for the research and development of your parts? O.o

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

more like a pretty decent 3 series bmw

are you just counting the rig in your sig because that seems like a bit much for that

lol well that doesnt seem right, yom ay want to look into that issue.

am confused, how was your build almost 11,000 dollars? did you pay for the research and development of your parts? O.o

are you just counting the rig in your sig because that seems like a bit much for that

lol well that doesnt seem right, yom ay want to look into that issue.

Take into consideration this was bought when it was brand new :3 and norway. tax yaii! 

Take into consideration this was bought when it was brand new :3 and norway. tax yaii!

Then we should consider that you also have a larger selection of used BMW 3 series then as well.

I call BS  ;)

Maybe 10862ish NOK, which would be 1800 USD, but nothing more.

i have a equal/better setup to you, check the sig. In essence a lot of our rig is the same, you only have more RAM, a better PSU and a higher class mobo from the same socket.

whereas i have a better GPU than you.

(i am also Norwegian).

| CPU: intel i7 3820 OC to 4GHZ with H100i cooling | Case: Enthoo Evolv ATX glass | Mobo: Asus P9X79 Socket-2011 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz 16GB | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X

| PSU: Silver power 750w plus silver | SSD: OCZ Agility 3, 240GB / Toshiba 500GB | Monitors: Dell U2713HM, Acer Predator 27" | Headset: Sennheiser HD650| Soundcard: Xonar Essence STX

I'm sure there is a perfect time for high end PC gamers, but I don't have the knowledge to create such a calculation!

$1000 rigs, you can build 'em nice, run them for 6 months and sell them for what you paid for 'em and just keep going that route, or maybe take a small hit.

$2000 comp , 3-years ... Too difficult to see what will be out in the future and what the BST market will net you.

$1500-$1750 you can build a well rounded PC that only requires GPU upgrades at your discretion.

And if there is a new 8-core optimization trend due to PS4 and XBone having 1.7ghz 8-core jaguars, I believe Intel will have a 6-core with HT chip for LGA1150 to negate that trend.

A power supply, case, mobo, cpu, ram can hold you down for a long while. Storage upgrades and GPU's are really only of concern. You can always part those out.

i3-4170, H81 board, 8GB DDR3, Crucial M4, GTX 770, Xigmatek Vangaurd Case, Creative Titanium X-fi, Razer Carcharias, 500w PSU, 24" VA panel and a 42" IPS. Thinking about getting a plant.

I call BS  ;)

Maybe 10862ish NOK, which would be 1800 USD, but nothing more.

i have a equal/better setup to you, check the sig. In essence a lot of our rig is the same, you only have more RAM, a better PSU and a higher class mobo from the same socket.

whereas i have a better GPU than you.

(i am also Norwegian).

svidd :P ?, yeah i might be lying abit since screens peripherals etc etc are not in my sig and new parts have been added. but the total for just this "battle station" ticks in at around 10k. and as i said it was bought in 2012.02.16 if im not mistaken. factor in those prices not what they have dropped to.

edit*

a5f4922756.png

excluding 4 monitors headset mouse and keyboard 

svidd :P ?, yeah i might be lying abit since screens peripherals etc etc are not in my sig and new parts have been added. but the total for just this "battle station" ticks in at around 10k. and as i said it was bought in 2012.02.16 if im not mistaken. factor in those prices not what they have dropped to.

edit*

a5f4922756.png

excluding 4 monitors headset mouse and keyboard 

Makes more sense now  :)

| CPU: intel i7 3820 OC to 4GHZ with H100i cooling | Case: Enthoo Evolv ATX glass | Mobo: Asus P9X79 Socket-2011 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz 16GB | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X

| PSU: Silver power 750w plus silver | SSD: OCZ Agility 3, 240GB / Toshiba 500GB | Monitors: Dell U2713HM, Acer Predator 27" | Headset: Sennheiser HD650| Soundcard: Xonar Essence STX

Makes more sense now  :)

yeah i should be more clearer i blame nosleep is that allowed ? kek  :lol: also i have two 7970's :)  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Well If I can sell my PC for like $1800NZD, I'd build another PC haha...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Procc/mobo combo's you can skip 2-3 gens (depending on the techprogression)

Gpu's i skip max 1 gen

Rest is more how the techprogression goes in terms of storage and ram

For example: i went from a E6600 to an I5-750 to an I7-3770k cpu wise

and 8800GTX to 5850/560GTX (switched there cause the 5850 broke) to GTX 660 TI

and this was between 1300 to 1800 euro price range

Let's agree to disagree

Initially, my build cosr me around €950, but I have upgraded a big part of it.

I think it's the best thing you can do, unless the components become so obsolete that you are forced to build a new one ;)

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

When you have the money and time.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.