iOS 8 concept mixes Android, iOS and Windows Phone into one functional homescreen

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/30/5761732/this-striking-ios-8-concept-reinvents-the-homescreen (you can see the original site at http://jaymachalani.com/blog/2014/5/29/pushing-ios)
Note that this is an unofficial concept developed by Jay Machalani, who also developed the Windows 8 start screen concept that was widely popular and eventually implemented into Windows 8.1(U1) and the next version of Windows.

(Yes, it's the linustechtips outro music)
Essentially, it's iOS but with live tile style widgets, like Android or Windows Phone. His concept is that you can pinch out (how do you say that) on an app icon on the homescreen and it will open an expanded view with some recent updates or media controls etc, then either pinch back in to leave it how it was, or let go and it will reorder your icons and fill a 2x2 space on the homescreen permanently. Personally, I think it's an interesting concept, although considering widgets have been a staple of Android for ages and live tiles seem to be a Windows thing and they have done that for a while too, I don't see why it has taken so long for anyone to make a serious suggestion to apple about this. I doubt we'll see it in iOS 8 (despite what the Verge says) because apple are supposedly revealing it very soon, so they won't be able to make any radical changes before then, but iOS 9 is a possibility. However, when it is added, it's going to need developer support, which might work out ok, but then again, there are a whole load of apps that just won't work with this concept. It would be interesting to see how apple, and the market, would handle it.

HTTP/2 203

there's no use for this, you have to do more(use two fingers) and you achieve less(fullscreen info) than compared to simply 'clicking the icon'..

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

That would be very useful to have, especially for ipods and iphones

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

If Apple could implement it correctly and properly, it could turn out very well...

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

It would be epic if Google and Microsoft sued the living crap out of Apple for copying their concepts.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

its as useful as posting a concept of a T-rex's shit

I'd rather see that actually

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Neither Android, nor Windows Phone ahve been 'mixed' into this, but i find the idea really smart. That pinch to zoom for a quick peek at what's going on is probably useless but that widget-kinda style is neat. Apple has to do something to rescue their sinking ship. This would be a great step forward.

who cares...

Will linus now get sued now for using apple's patented music that they've owned for ever? /s

Oh wow.Now you need to pinch to be able to see anything usefull from the apps? Try that with one hand. And that apps/tiles transition really reminds me of WP8.1 where they appear from the top corner all the way down when you go to the home screen. First the 'flat' design. Now this?

I still think both android and WP8.1 has better widget/live tiles implementation. I love my Live Tiles. One push of the unlock button,swipe the screen to unlock and there I have all the feeds/information I need from my customized tiles.

What the big deal, android already has widgets?

Yup, and retarded because you need to pinch and zoom on each tile. This is a mix of Android widgets with Windows 8.

While I give props for the creator of the concept, and I find it moronic that The Verge acts like this is ground breaking.

WHY bother with posting this here

its as useful as posting a concept of a T-rex's shit

Why did you bother making this comment? It was as interesting as deepthroating a seal.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Yup, and retarded because you need to pinch and zoom on each tile. This is a mix of Android widgets with Windows 8.

While I give props for the creator of the concept, and I find it moronic that The Verge acts like this is ground breaking.

Yep, yet again apple "creates and innovates" by recreating the wheel and calling it something else, then suing everyone who made it before them. Apple needs to figure this out: If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, its  fucking duck, not an iFeatherBird. 

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?

Inb4 Apple uses it and claims it was a 'revolutionary idea' created entirely by them.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

The verge is so biased that it's painful.

I don't bother with any of their articles anymore.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

much like the circle...its pointless

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Don't really see the use of the zooming thingy, widgets are awesome though

Resolution is a word. 5 is a number.