CryEngine Development Kit goes on Steam - Royalty Free just $10 per month

Askew

Source

Steam Store Page

Crytek have decided to put their full fat SDK onto Steam (CryEngine 3.6.2), all that's required from users is a monthly fee of £6.99/$9.90 and you get the whole lot, development kit, assets, and even access to all of their documentation to go along with it, if you sign up to multiple months, the price goes down.

Getting in with our EaaS program has a number of benefits: first of all, you will always have access to the latest build of our CRYENGINE, and be the first to hear about any upcoming updates. You have instant access to all graphic features and tools, including the powerful renderer behind our Xbox One title Ryse: Son of Rome, C++ and Lua API interfaces along with a full game implementation written in C++, and demo levels and assets for different types of games.

You will also be granted access to all our Engine and Tools documentation, such as programming API references and multiple tutorials by our talented CRYENGINE professionals, as well as access to our CRYENGINE community, full of equally dedicated individuals to help you with any question or issue that might surface

The best part is the fact that whatever you do with it is royalty free, Crytek are not going to charge developers to commercialize their projects!

So this means another massively rich engine has been unleashed into the indie world giving small developers a way to be supported in producing much more than before for just a small fee, Epic games have already done something similar with their development kits, but you have to pay $20 per month rather than $10, and they require a 5% royalty on your project's sales.

Crytek had previously (2011) given up something similar for free in terms of having the software on your machine, but there was royalty to pay instead of just this monthly fee.

This is the new business model, and I like it a lot and look forward to seeing any decent games that may come of it.

this is a great idea more access to those that what to play around with game development i can see this being good for students and star citizen mod creators.

would you mind reformatting the text in the quote, im in the day theme and cant see what it says.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

would you mind reformatting the text in the quote, im in the day theme and cant see what it says.

Sorry about that, I tried using the auto colour button when I first made the post but that highlighting stayed, I didn't know how to remove it.

Now I opened the editor on mobile, I can see that it has code in the quote you can remove and it's done now.

Imma use dis for archiviz. :D Thank you Crytek.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

That's alright I guess. Would have been far better if they went the Unreal Engine route and open sourced it.

One key thing you missed with your comparison to Unreal Engine 4 is that UE4 doesn't require a recurring subscription to be able to use it. Pay one month to get the initial package, cancel and wait x months before re-subbing to get new features.

this is a great idea more access to those that what to play around with game development i can see this being good for students and star citizen mod creators.

If you aren't already a programmer or game artist, Cryengine is definately not the engine to use if you're just getting started. Unity with it's MASSIVE amount of documentation would be better but UE4's Blueprints (their graphical programming pipeline) would be better than both for somebody wanting to just play around with game development.

4930k @ 4.5GHz - EVGA 780ti Superclocked ACX - ASUS x79 Deluxe - 32GB Tactical Tracer @ 2133

This is the first time I see a subscription model payment on Steam. If this exists, why can't MMOs use this instead of their own client?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

That's alright I guess. Would have been far better if they went the Unreal Engine route and open sourced it.

Unreal is doing the same thing but for 20$/mo + 5% gross revenue

The thing is Cryengine has its free version which people like me have been using for several years and Unreal has had the UDK to play around with too.

Both free versions were lacking the most current and enticing features to promote purchase

Now if you want to play or develop with cryengine you have the option  to use the free version or the 10 dollar full version whereas to use the unreal engine you only have the option of 20 dollars a month since there is no UDK for Unreal Engine 4. 

This will hurt Unreal a lot even though it's a much easier platform to work with for beginners

Ehh you forget the raw power of ue4. People won't move away from it because it's so efficient to work with and is amazingly powerful. + the debug system is hot. The only thing it needs to work on is utilization and optimizing ray tracing

The thing is Cryengine has its free version which people like me have been using for several years and Unreal has had the UDK to play around with too.

Both free versions were lacking the most current and enticing features to promote purchase

Now if you want to play or develop with cryengine you have the option to use the free version or the 10 dollar full version whereas to use the unreal engine you only have the option of 20 dollars a month since there is no UDK for Unreal Engine 4.

This will hurt Unreal a lot even though it's a much easier platform to work with for beginners

Ehh you forget the raw power of ue4. People won't move away from it because it's so efficient to work with and is amazingly powerful. + the debug system is hot. The only thing it needs to work on is utilization and optimizing ray tracing

The developers who prefer a system won't stop using that system. The reason for the new price model though is to get more casual users to pay. They are much more likely to go with cryengine now even though UE4 has much better support for the casual user

good guy crytek 

good_guy_greg_69.jpg

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Now if you want to play or develop with cryengine you have the option  to use the free version or the 10 dollar full version whereas to use the unreal engine you only have the option of 20 dollars a month since there is no UDK for Unreal Engine 4. 

It's not the same thing though.

Unreal Engine = you get the source code.

Cryengine = you get documentations, a a developer kit. No source code.

Ignoring the argument for why UE4 is better, this is still a nice step for developers. :)

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.