Solar Roads

Not impossible, but really really really really really really expensive. Oh and in some areas people would probably start stealing the road.

I've caught people stealing my phone line before. So it wouldn't surprise me.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I remember seeing their promotional video and wondering about how the practical implamentaion would be. Then Thunderf00t comes out and just demolishes their idea. 

Well, time to go back to studying kinetic road power. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I remember seeing their promotional video and wondering about how the practical implamentaion would be. Then Thunderf00t comes out and just demolishes their idea.

Well, time to go back to studying kinetic road power.

He did the same with the Thorium powered car, just completely destroyed the silly idea. But as anything foes, people will just eat any idea up regardless of how insane and unscientific it is.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

This is a project that is bringing development and research for the future, not now. This video is stupid because it is impossible to convert all the roads into solar panels right this day. This is something for the future, and that is why we need people coming up with inventions and ideas to improve the future. Better and cheaper materials, manufacturing processes, and components are coming out each year, and soon enough this will be an affordable way to make roads. So what if there aren't solar roads tomorrow. This is about 20 or 50 years from now when it will be possible. Without entrepreneurs or inventors our human civilization would not advance. Some people just HATE change, don't they?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This is a project that is bringing development and research for the future, not now. This video is stupid because it is impossible to convert all the roads into solar panels right this day. This is something for the future, and that is why we need people coming up with inventions and ideas to improve the future. Better and cheaper materials, manufacturing processes, and components are coming out each year, and soon enough this will be an affordable way to make roads. So what if there aren't solar roads tomorrow. This is about 20 or 50 years from now when it will be possible. Without entrepreneurs or inventors our human civilization would not advance. Some people just HATE change, don't they?

is am interesting concept, but the laws of thermodynamics/physics won't change in 20-50 years.

He is just stating that it will cost more than it will ever save us money. It's really inefficient.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

is am interesting concept, but the laws of thermodynamics/physics won't change in 20-50 years.

He is just stating that it will cost more than it will ever save us money. It's really inefficient.

Yeah well 50 years ago many roads were still made out of rocks. Now they are asphalt. Technology evolves very quickly, and new materials will be available in 50 years that will make this project just as affordable as asphalt.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah well 50 years ago many roads were still made out of rocks. Now they are asphalt. Technology evolves very quickly, and new materials will be available in 50 years that will make this project just as affordable as asphalt.

Regardless of if or when this project gets implemented he does raise valid points. Part of change is understanding the physical and financial limitations of such an endeavor, without critics and scientists scrutinizing it, it's likely to fail anyways.

Hail Sithis!

Regardless of if or when this project gets implemented he does raise valid points. Part of change is understanding the physical and financial limitations of such an endeavor, without critics and scientists scrutinizing it, it's likely to fail anyways.

At least they got funds to advance on the development of this project :) I expect to see this be deployed before I die for sure.

Spoiler

At least they got funds to advance on the development of this project :) I expect to see this be deployed before I die for sure.

Well yes they got funded, but I wonder what will come of it.

Hail Sithis!

hmm.. well after watching the entire video i very much doubt he addressed anything that most people haven't already thought of, he is just being abit more technical about it(atleast he gives people the impression that he is), ofcourse the idea is insane, ofcourse it has heaps of problems, the cost would be astronomical, not having sufficient information about the project we can only assume that the engineers/designers are or have already addressed some of them, this would probably work best within city's and whatnot where the roads are very dense, but that's where most of the traffic is, that's where they will get the least sun and that's where there will be the most wear and tear, at the end of the day i very much doubt anything will come out of this, but it's probably a fun little 2 million dollar project either way :P

This has two problems:

1) People are just going to pick up the panels and use it for themselves (yeah, people are dumb).

2) Mankind currently uses all the power the sun sends our way during a year, in about 4 months. This is a step in the right direction, but it's not remotely enough.

1. These things are huge and wired in. Good luck getting them out in a reasonable amount of time without damaging them. 

2. Source?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

2) Mankind currently uses all the power the sun sends our way during a year, in about 4 months. This is a step in the right direction, but it's not remotely enough.

i missed this comment .. i would very much like to see the source for this myself.. and to me that doesn't sound like a "step in the right direction" what i deduced from that sentence is that we are spending way too much energy  :huh:  but i seem to have a knack for misunderstanding things so please correct me if i'm mistaken.

i missed this comment .. i would very much like to see the source for this myself.. and to me that doesn't sound like a "step in the right direction" what i deduced from that sentence is that we are spending way too much energy  :huh:  but i seem to have a knack for misunderstanding things so please correct me if i'm mistaken.

Sorry, I can't remember where I read it, it's been a while, but it was a relatively trusted source (I think it was a newspaper or something like that). But think about it, it makes sense: the amount of power we currently provide ourselves through fossil fuels and nuclear energy is in absurd amounts, and solar technology can't possibly be 100% efficient. To get close to effectively tangible results we would need the whole world to be covered in panels. As for it being a step in the right direction, well if it can provide us any more energy without polluting more it's a good step regardless imo.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Sorry, I can't remember where I read it, it's been a while, but it was a relatively trusted source (I think it was a newspaper or something like that). But think about it, it makes sense: the amount of power we currently provide ourselves through fossil fuels and nuclear energy is in absurd amounts, and solar technology can't possibly be 100% efficient. To get close to effectively tangible results we would need the whole world to be covered in panels. As for it being a step in the right direction, well if it can provide us any more energy without polluting more it's a good step regardless imo.

.... Well, they were completely wrong. 

This theoretical potential represents more energy striking the earth’s surface in one and a half hours (480 EJ)67 than worldwide energy consumption in the year 2001 from all sources combined (430 EJ)68

Which is from this scientific paper covering energy usage and ways to go renewable using Solar power written by Jeff Tsao (U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Basic Energy Science), Nate Lewis (California Institute of Technology), and George Crabtree (Argonne National Laboratory).

And it comes from the "12. What is the theoretical potential of solar energy?" section. 

So basically, enough solar energy hits the Earth's surface every 1.5 hours to power the entire world for 1 year based on 2001 energy consumption rates. Which isn't even the opposite of what you said. It's beyond that. And that's even considering all the power that is deflected by our atmosphere as well (meaning it was subtracted first). So there's no way in hell we use that much energy. Absolutely no way. 

You probably read it wrong, or the people who wrote that don't know what they are talking about.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This won't be viable and I won't invest in em until I see specifications and testing results. 

I can for one tell you solar panel tech though advancing still has a long way to go.... Renovating roads with this would be costy and implemention needs severe wear and tear testing. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Come on. Don't be a downer. We all want them. ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

repost and some more, dont really care to find the link :P but yea, watch it and despair that people just threw away near 2 MILLION dollars on ignorance and retardation....

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Come on. Don't be a downer. We all want them. ;)

nah id rather be able to see the lines and not slip around and die because of no traction :P and LED's not working and the solar cells never getting any sun and so on and so on... not ONE thing about this idea will work...

nah id rather be able to see the lines and not slip around and die because of no traction :P and LED's not working and the solar cells never getting any sun and so on and so on... not ONE thing about this idea will work...

I can still hope.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I can still hope.

im sorry, nothing about this is even remotely possible, because... physics. this is real life dude :D

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

I can still hope.

we already have teleportation, we should just put millions of dollars into researching that more instead :P

repost and some more, dont really care to find the link :P but yea, watch it and despair that people just threw away near 2 MILLION dollars on ignorance and retardation....

Oops, didn't see the original. I didn't think to look in Tech News and Reviews because this clearly doesn't belong there as it's neither news nor a review.

For my backyard or driveway this would be good. I dont have to cut grass and it generates a bit of electricity. seems like a win win. depends on the price though.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER