Best way to compress files from another machine?

Go to solution Solved by Britishblue,
2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does your user have permissions to the share and folder beng shared?

Try rebooting that desktop if you have't already.

Make sure to use the samba password as it can be different.

You can also try enabling guest access and see if that works.

Can you post your smb.conf file for the share?

Somehow fixed it by doing "net stop workstation /y"
then "net start workstation" on my windows computer.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Hi I have a jellyfin server and my storage is full. I wanted to compress everything a bit so I can fit more stuff on it, but the computer running it on ubuntu has a crap CPU. My main machine (i5-12600k) would probably do it a lot faster. However the hard drive is in the machine internally and I really REALLY dont want to have to take out the hard drive, put it in my other machine every time I want to compress something. Is there a method I can use to compress it using my main machine? I was originally going to put it on my external hard drive then take it over and send them back on the external hard drive. But it would take like 8 hours to copy everything for 1 way which is too long. And I cant even leave it overnight because its only a 500gb drive so couldnt even hold everything in one go.

Thanks

Just zip the files over the network?

Or what do you mean with compress? Rencode em?

If so same story rencode over the network

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Just zip the files over the network?

Or what do you mean with compress? Rencode em?

If so same story rencode over the network

I was going to put them into handbrake. Is there an easier way to do it? Sorry what do you mean zip them over the network? Im new to servers and stuff. edit: Its videos btw for my jellyfin server. I dont think you can zip videos surely right? Because its lossless. The main goal is to reduce the size of my media so I can store more

6 minutes ago, Britishblue said:

I was going to put them into handbrake. Is there an easier way to do it? Sorry what do you mean zip them over the network? Im new to servers and stuff. edit: Its videos btw for my jellyfin server. I dont think you can zip videos surely right? Because its lossless. The main goal is to reduce the size of my media so I can store more

You can handbrake over the network

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You can handbrake over the network

How do I do that? I tried sharing my drive on ubuntu already and when I tried to connect on windows it said permissions were denied so I gave up

8 minutes ago, Britishblue said:

I dont think you can zip videos surely right? Because its lossless

any file can be zipped , unless every frame of the video is a different color from the previous frame , though i'm willing to bet it isn't

5 minutes ago, Britishblue said:

How do I do that? I tried sharing my drive on ubuntu already and when I tried to connect on windows it said permissions were denied so I gave up

Persevere a little and follow tutorials.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

any file can be zipped , unless every frame of the video is a different color from the previous frame , though i'm willing to bet it isn't

All media codecs already include any gains that could be attained by lossless compression. You technically can zip a video but you'll gain nothing, sometime you can even lose some.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

I think I would want lossy compression anyway. Lossless compression on a video isnt going to reduce the file size much. Thanks though

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Persevere a little and follow tutorials.

All media codecs already include any gains that could be attained by lossless compression.

unless its not compressed

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

unless its not compressed

Video that is truly uncompressed essentially doesn't exist. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Video that is truly uncompressed essentially doesn't exist. 

yes it does it's called film

27 minutes ago, Britishblue said:

what issue did you get exactly? This is probably the best solution here.

What bitrate and codec is the footage now? If its already highly compressed, its probably not worth it to recompress.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what issue did you get exactly? This is probably the best solution here.

What bitrate and codec is the footage now? If its already highly compressed, its probably not worth it to recompress.

It says "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different username and password". Im trying to login using my ubuntu users username and pass as Ive always done. I tried changing my smb password but it doesnt do anything.

Just now, Britishblue said:

It says "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different username and password". Im trying to login using my ubuntu users username and pass as Ive always done. I tried changing my smb password but it doesnt do anything.

25 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Im not used to linux but It let me share it so Im assuming it does have permissions. I cant reboot the desktop right now but Ill do it a bit later today. I set the password using sudo smbpasswd -a (my user).

Heres the file. Thanks for your help

smb.conf

You'll almost definitely lose quality by transcoding, if that's fine by you then go ahead. I personally use Tdarr for standardising my files, but it's just handbrake under the hood so it can do transcoding no problem.

However, if it's an option for you, I'd say expand your storage.

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

1 hour ago, Zalosath said:

You'll almost definitely lose quality by transcoding, if that's fine by you then go ahead. I personally use Tdarr for standardising my files, but it's just handbrake under the hood so it can do transcoding no problem.

However, if it's an option for you, I'd say expand your storage.

From my experience you can get it to look very close to the original and cut a lot of the file size off still. Just about using the right settings. Obviously it will be a little worse but It shouldnt be a noticable difference

Rebooting didnt seem to fix

Somehow fixed it by doing "net stop workstation /y"
then "net start workstation" on my windows computer.

Thanks for your help 🙂