Is this a scam? 4090 for 900 dollars

aren332
2 minutes ago, da na said:

Seems a little scummy.

If you want to buy it, drive over and ask to see the card in person - slotted into a PCIe lane and running. 

if i do so, i only need to test for temps and and no artifacts right?

Just now, aren332 said:

If a 4090 is having temperature issues or artifacts, the owner needs to be put in jail because how on earth do you already break a card that's been out for like 2 months.

Jokes aside, just make sure the box actually contains a 4090 and is not just a 4090 cooler with a dead GTS 450 underneath the shroud. 

3 minutes ago, aren332 said:

Yes, and make sure it's a real card. Use a real stress testing program - no nonsense with Furmark or any derivatives. This is not the place for that.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

19 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Yes, and make sure it's a real card. Use a real stress testing program - no nonsense with Furmark or any derivatives. This is not the place for that.

Im curious as to what other programs youd use to stresstest gpus since ive always used furmark and i dont really know of anything else

I mean it does apparently have a reputation for burning gpus or something

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Isnt that only for old gpus? modern gpus detect it as a power virus and dont let it fully run. I get temps of 76c in furmark on my rtx 2060, but temps of around  85c in some other games. (the gpu is overclocked alot)

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Im curious as to what other programs youd use to stresstest gpus since ive always used furmark and i dont really know of anything else

fumark is and always has been trash

its just for show, scummy sellers use it because it looks impressive and unwitting customers fall for it 

i have no fucking idea why any private person would use this utterly meaningless "test"

you can use superposition or similar, i recommend 3D MARK test suite however. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, aren332 said:

Isnt that only for old gpus? modern gpus detect it as a power virus and dont let it fully run. I get temps of 76c in furmark on my rtx 2060, but temps of around  85c in some other games. (the gpu is overclocked alot)

Oh so thats why noone uses furmark anymore

Maybe i just didnt notice cause when i had a 580 2048sp it hit 90c running furmark whilst undervolted to .86v cause trash china cooler

I dont really toy around with gpus let alone new gpus due to price and i dont really game on pc, just screwing around with ocing the balls off old platforms

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

fumark is and always has been trash

its just for show, scummy sellers use it because it looks impressive and unwitting customers fall for it 

i have no fucking idea why any private person would use this utterly meaningless "test"

you can use superposition or similar, i recommend 3D MARK test suite however. 

Alr thanks for the info

I definitely dont keep up in terms of stresstest software esp gpus as i dont play around with em much unless i cna find one thatd be fun to oc

i only use prime95 smallest and largeffts for both cpu and ram stresstest respectively

Furmark had other issues, even back when it could kill video cards - namely, the card would pass an overclock within Furmark, and then instantly artifact, or the drivers would crash as soon as the user would go into a substantial game. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Maybe i just didnt notice cause when i had a 580 2048sp it hit 90c running furmark whilst undervolted to .86v cause trash china cooler

I dont really toy around with gpus let alone new gpus due to price and i dont really game on pc, just screwing around with ocing the balls off old platforms

Alr thanks for the info

I definitely dont keep up in terms of stresstest software esp gpus as i dont play around with em much unless i cna find one thatd be fun to oc

i only use prime95 smallest and largeffts for both cpu and ram stresstest respectively

back in the day furmark was bad because it was like the prime 95 for gpus and it seems to just keep increasing the load. well people would run a test for hours and well ya not too good for it so it got a bad rep. was the problem fixed i dont no. but most just use heaven but any things would do. not to menchen sli setups that already had cooling problems...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

44 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

back in the day furmark was bad because it was like the prime 95 for gpus

but why is prime 95 safe to run? ppl run it for hours to confirm stable OC

could also be stolen goods?

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

9 hours ago, aren332 said:

but why is prime 95 safe to run? ppl run it for hours to confirm stable OC

i dont no why its safer. sounds like old gpus before 2010 didnt have safe temp were it woild self downclock to protect it. also sounds like if you oced it and then used firmark it be way too much heat. that and people used blower cards and hybrid cooling were just adding a fan to the vrm was consider fine...was not.... then there the sliing and the gap between gpus was vary small like 1/8 and sided of gpu were closed off. ya case at that time had prity good air flow and had even air floe on the side windows but was not enough. it would push it way harder then any game would for no reason. so combos of all that could be why. its posable to disable your fan curve in msi afterburner too and that can be a problem... its not the clearest on how to set it...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

11 hours ago, aren332 said:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/sop/d/bronx-asus-tuf-gaming-graphics-card/7734502222.html

Should i try to buy it? I dont need it personally, but if I buy it for 900, I can sell it for like 1700 on ebay and make a profit of like  700 dollars

Probably stolen or a scam. Either way, if its too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

4 hours ago, DeerDK said:

could also be stolen goods?

15 minutes ago, Agall said:

Probably stolen

No because he only thing you lose with a stolen gpu is the warranty, which you lose when you buy it used anyway. there isnt a nCloud activation lock or anything on gpus and nvidia could care less if you use a stolen card

4 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

No because he only thing you lose with a stolen gpu is the warranty, which you lose when you buy it used anyway. there isnt a nCloud activation lock or anything on gpus and nvidia could care less if you use a stolen card

OP is questioning the price/validity. The only logical reasons why anyone would sell an RTX 4090 for $900 are if it were stolen or not real. Newegg even gives $1500 for one right now with their trade-in program.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

3 minutes ago, Agall said:

OP is questioning the price/validity. The only logical reasons why anyone would sell an RTX 4090 for $900 are if it were stolen or not real. Newegg even gives $1500 for one right now with their trade-in program.

yeah but they sell for more than that broken, the seller could take it out of the box and hit it on the ground and sell it as "not working" for 1k
there is zero chance its real, the advert is fake, there is no gpu. if you reach out to the seller about it, they will try to get you to pay for it so that they can ship it to you or something. you will receive a fake tracking number and other info which will hold you off long enough so that they can wire transfer the money back to their country, then its over for you.

2 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

Or your freedom... 

If it's too good to be true it probably is. So, if the cops come knocking and you got a deal where you should have known better, you can go to jail for trading stolen merchandise. 

You can't claim good faith if it is too low a price, and in this case OP is already suspicious of something may be wrong. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

1 hour ago, DeerDK said:

Or your freedom... 

If it's too good to be true it probably is. So, if the cops come knocking and you got a deal where you should have known better, you can go to jail for trading stolen merchandise. 

You can't claim good faith if it is too low a price, and in this case OP is already suspicious of something may be wrong. 

I live in a country that requires a warrant for that and protects the buyer anyway

16 hours ago, aren332 said:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/sop/d/bronx-asus-tuf-gaming-graphics-card/7734502222.html

Should i try to buy it? I dont need it personally, but if I buy it for 900, I can sell it for like 1700 on ebay and make a profit of like  700 dollars

Anything from the bronx, Manhattan or around those areas is a scam.

Do a reverse image search, most of the time you find the same thing, but it's in a different location. Which would mean, it's a scam.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

1 hour ago, OhYou_ said:

I live in a country that requires a warrant for that and protects the buyer anyway

And I live in a country where the buyer risks getting punished, if proven to buy stolen goods at a price so low that one should have known better. 

Wait, we are both in the Nordics? 

Are you sure Finnish law doesn't care if you buy a tv at 40% of normal price from a guy who sells goods at a table in the local tavern? 

In any case, since OP is in the US Finnish or Danish law does not apply, an I'm pretty sure there are laws that punish buying stolen properties, if not in good faith, in the US.