Is it ok to have no pc fans

NotReak

I just got every part i need for my new pc except for my fans(ran out of money)

Can i use my computer with no fans and no side panel?

1 minute ago, NotReak said:

Fans are like $5 or less.  Get two.

But yes, it may be enough to just have the side panel off and the CPU cooler and GPU fans may be enough.  Won't hurt anything, try it.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

This is asked a lot.  short answer: No.

Your computer is designed to be a closed case with fans in an d fans out.

If you took off the side panel till payday, just point a box fan at it.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

Just now, Dedayog said:

Won't hurt anything, try it.

I mean... hardware shutting down cause it's overheating IS by design, but still could eventually hurt it.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

1 minute ago, shoutingsteve said:

I mean... hardware shutting down cause it's overheating IS by design, but still could eventually hurt it.

That is true, but maybe just not stress the pc too hard till then...

Opening the sidepannel and having it open like that can be fine if you really wanna use it for lightweight stuff, your gpu might be able to get soooome airflow for now from it alone... but i wouldn't trust that for long term use and get fans as soon as possible.

It's possible just not very recommended

9 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

No.

why not? Even if the case has all solid panels it'd have to be a stock cooler if it were to heat up that much that it'd shut down because of temperatures. If they've got a half decent air cooler then they're fine

14 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

Your computer is designed to be a closed case with fans in an d fans out.

But wouldn't taking off the side panel help? regardless of design

17 minutes ago, NotReak said:

ran out of money

if you've ran out of money for fans you've probably looked at ones that are too expensive. You can get a 5 pack of P12's for $30 and a three pack of thermalright fans for ~$12

17 minutes ago, NotReak said:

parts list?

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

We seem to be forgetting the existence of open bench PCs.....
I run my HTPC (8700k/3060ti) ziptied to a pegboard. It runs perfectly. Heck, I even curved my fans so that they don't spin up 99% of the time I'm using it. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

5 minutes ago, OddOod said:

We seem to be forgetting the existence of open bench PCs.....
I run my HTPC (8700k/3060ti) ziptied to a pegboard. It runs perfectly. Heck, I even curved my fans so that they don't spin up 99% of the time I'm using it. 

Well since this is an already enclosed case, this isnt as relevant of a point...

30 minutes ago, NotReak said:

My workstation PC at work has a single tower cooler and a very slow spinning and small rear exhaust fan with no other intakes or exhaust. The computer still functions just fine and does not overheat, especially at idle. 

Parts are also designed to throttle and shut themselves down well before they start melting. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

45 minutes ago, NotReak said:

Absolutely, as long as you have fans on things that matter (CPU, GPU and PSU) rest is fine with having no sidepanels. I have used my PCs for decades like that.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

55 minutes ago, NotReak said:

Depends

A 5600 in a mesh case don't need much air, now if you try a 14900K with some crappy cooler in a closed case It'll shut down after 5 minutes 😛 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

i assume you have a cpu cooler, and we're talking about case fans...

acceptable: yes.

good: no.

even with open air test benches you want some airflow over the testbench or trough the room, hot air rising is good and all, but it doesnt go up all that fast.

so like said before.. you cant not have 5 bucks for at least one xilence something piece of crud.

2 hours ago, NotReak said:

Sure, but its not going to perform that well if you're doing anything intensive.

The equation for heat transfer, Q = mc(T-T), the m being the mass flow rate of the fluid (in this case air) making contact with the heat source.

Thermal expansion creates some airflow, but its like comparing 0.1 to 100 with something as simple as a desk fan pointed at it. Otherwise, the machine is going to thermal throttle itself to single digit wattages, being single digit % of performance.

If you have any fans around the house, just use those for the meanwhile to pass air through the case. It might be okay enough to game on.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

I turned on my computer, which had a 360 AIO but the fans were off (forgot). The only fan on was the exhaust, and the side panel was off. I have a 12700k. It took at least 15 minutes before it thermal throttled, and I wasn't doing anything demanding. It shut down and took a while before I could turn it on. Note: the tubes were going down to the bottom of the rad, which impeded convection flow. 

Would it probably do better in an all-mesh case? Maybe, but I'm feeling doubtful. And certainly not for a hotter CPU.

Would it do better with the panel of and lying down? Probably, at least to a point.

Ultimately, it depends on your hardware and usage. 

As @manikyath, who is quite clever, wrote, it is probably not a good idea. 

Edited by RevGAM

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

It'll likely be fine. Your CPU cooler should have its own fan(s) as should the GPU, and the motherboard usually doesn't need much so it should be fine with the air pushed around by the CPU/GPU coolers and just natural radiation (of heat, not nukes :old-tongue:). 

1 hour ago, Agall said:

Sure, but its not going to perform that well if you're doing anything intensive.

Should be fine. The only thing that might see a slight performance drop is the GPU, if it's a modern one that boosts less and less the hotter it gets. Won't throttle, will just boost less, which is usually a ~3-5ish fps difference. Likely not noticeable unless the GPU is already pushed to its absolute limits (like my 2060 Super I ask to run 4K, that ~3fps vs stock/base clocks is noticeable because it's sometimes the deciding factor between reaching my display's minimum refresh rate - 40Hz - or not). I've ran PCs with not enough fans or straight up in a box with no fans... they got hot. That's about it, no major throttling, when I did this I was using a Maxwell GPU so it didn't change its boost clocks at all either. And not hot enough to damage the hardware, as others noted it'll shut itself off before that happens. 

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

My workstation PC at work has a single tower cooler and a very slow spinning and small rear exhaust fan with no other intakes or exhaust. The computer still functions just fine and does not overheat, especially at idle. 

Yep. And lots of those work PCs don't just have 0 intake fans, there's no intake vents anywhere on the front panel. The PC lives off what the exhaust fan can feebly pull through the gaps in the chassis. They run fine for... I've worked for the company I'm at for 7 years and I believe we've still got some of the Skylake machines kicking that were purchased around the time I was hired. I've had a dead one or two, not bad for $350-500 machines that are approaching a decade old in sub-optimal conditions (some are office PCs, others are in and out of hot/humid/dusty production rooms or warehouse/pick line locations). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

• 2 weeks later...

As outlined already, OP, you really should try to have at least one exhaust fan and one intake, if nothing else.

However, fans aren't that expensive and, depending on your case and components, it may be worth waiting until you can install more cooling options.

Yes, just leave the case open and it will probably be fine