Can we lay off the sexual harassment jokes please

69 jokes are fine

but this is kinda edgy

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

2 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

LMG is the biggest in the tech space though, where their focus isn't on these kinds of jokes, and at that there should be certain standards that are upheld.

I'm all for not complaining about 69 jokes, or themselves being targets of jokes within their videos; but there is a line drawn to when it's about topics that have real world impacts and fuel the common excuse used by a perpetrator...especially when the company itself has been formerly accused with the investigation still going on.

The thing about South Park and Monty Python, there was a lot that was meant to offend/toe the line; and those watching it knew that and sought out that.

Them being large doesn't mean you can't watch some of the other outlets. Or create your own 

If them being large proves anything it is that many viewers are OK with the jokes. Maybe many people want that stuff?

I still haven't watched it. But that type of jokes indicate the rest of the show isn't great either (for me wanting to know nerd stuff). You don't see detBauer or GN doing such jokes and they focus on professionalism. So, I don't care about the jokes, but they are a tell tale for what the rest of the show is regarding professionalism. But there seems to be a large audience for that ... To each their own and choice is good. 

And someone equating a joke with sexual harassment should be aware that it dilutes the actual pain of actual sexual harassment. You should reserve that accusation for actual harassment. 

You can be ensured that women make jokes about men as well.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

2 hours ago, Lurking said:

Them being large doesn't mean you can't watch some of the other outlets. Or create your own 

If them being large proves anything it is that many viewers are OK with the jokes. Maybe many people want that stuff?

I still haven't watched it. But that type of jokes indicate the rest of the show isn't great either (for me wanting to know nerd stuff). You don't see detBauer or GN doing such jokes and they focus on professionalism. So, I don't care about the jokes, but they are a tell tale for what the rest of the show is regarding professionalism. But there seems to be a large audience for that ... To each their own and choice is good. 

And someone equating a joke with sexual harassment should be aware that it dilutes the actual pain of actual sexual harassment. You should reserve that accusation for actual harassment. 

You can be ensured that women make jokes about men as well.

GN and der8auer have regularly made these exact types of jokes. 

If you have not watched the joke here, then what are you bringing to the table? 

again, lets stress this. the joke made does not have anything to do with sexual harassment.

56 minutes ago, Lurking said:

You don't think joking about things like that overall dilutes it? Watch the clip, its under minute. Then you can take a side if you so want. Like, I don't want TL regularly. But if there's something I need to check to know whats going on, thats not my loss.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

This stinks of "bro culture". Both the clip I watched with the joke, and some of the replies in this thread.

My opinion is that it is very poor taste to joke about these kinds of things in general, and especially when you work at a company accused of sexual harassment. It's not a good look and comes across as

1) not taking the situation seriously (maybe they think everyone has forgotten?) and

2) lacking self awareness. 

But I also find the overall humor of LTT to be very cringe and boring as well so maybe I am not the target demographic. "haha they said the same joke for the 100th time xD" "LOL 69, that's the sex number!", "lttstore.com lttstore.com lttstore.com xD". 

Anyway, I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

People need to stop thinking that people who complain are some kind of enemy. Complaints oftentimes comes from a place of love. OP is an LTT viewer and raised their opinion on how LTT can improve their content. That's not something you do maliciously. It's the people who don't think any criticism is valid and will always lick the boots of whichever company or person they have an unhealthy obsession with that are the real danger. You might not agree with their opinion, but if that's the case then say that. Don't say "you are not welcome here if you don't like the same things I like, and I like everything X does". 

LTT needs to cut down on the meme videos and bring back the Acer Predator kind of more tech-mumbo-focused stuff from 2016... you know, CES shows, actual ride ins to computer stores, etc. It is the way I'd focus more on their videos. For me, either they do it with a more serious face or keep beating the dead unicorn horse which is the corny jokes and 1 minute of content swagged out to 5 minutes. I simply wouldn't watch them at that rate. At least, not every video. Not at all.

20 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Anyway, I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

People need to stop thinking that people who complain are some kind of enemy. Complaints oftentimes comes from a place of love. OP is an LTT viewer and raised their opinion on how LTT can improve their content. That's not something you do maliciously. It's the people who don't think any criticism is valid and will always lick the boots of whichever company or person they have an unhealthy obsession with that are the real danger. You might not agree with their opinion, but if that's the case then say that. Don't say "you are not welcome here if you don't like the same things I like, and I like everything X does". 

I find the crowd that thinks no criticism is valid and nothing is ever out of line, bad, or offensive crowd much more tiring these days than even those that get offended or complain over nothing...  First, for everything you've just said, and second if they're going to take the stance that complaining about something is pointless and people who don't like something should move on, then why not practice what they preach?

Wish we could go back to the internet before being a fan of anything or part of any community meant needing to absolutely worship _________________ as being the unquestionably, flawlessly best... or people think you should just leave.

Razer Blade 14 (RZ09-0508x): AMD Ryzen 9 8945HS, nVidia GeForce RTX 4070, 64 GB 5200 DDR5, Win11 Pro [Workhorse/Gaming]

Apple MacBook Pro 14 (A2442): Apple M1 Pro APU (8 Core), 16 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3 [Creative Rig]

Samsung GalaxyBook Pro (NP930QDB-KF4CA): Intel Core i7-1165G7, 16 GB DDR4, Win11 Pro [WinTablet]

HP Envy 15-k257ca: Intel Core i5 5200U, nVidia GeForce 840M, 16GB 1600 DDR3, Win7 Pro [Retro]

Toshiba Satellite A70-S2591:  Intel Pentium 4 538, ATI Radeon 9000 IGP, 1.5 GB DDR RAM, WinXP Pro [Antique]

37 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

You don't think joking about things like that overall dilutes it? Watch the clip, its under minute. Then you can take a side if you so want. Like, I don't want TL regularly. But if there's something I need to check to know whats going on, thats not my loss.

Ok, I broke down and watched it. Bad joke with little taste. But so seems the rest of the entire video. Is that how all their shows are? If people watch that crap they probably want it. 

Probably not appropriate for a workplace. Similar jokes probably happen a lot outside work (by men and women).

Again, it is up to viewers to watch such shows or not. And it is up to employees to decide if they feel harassed or not, that requires much more context. Who knows, that whole thing could have been scripted to create this type of outrage for marketing. It may have nothing to do with the actual work environment 

I bet there are much worse YT channels with bad taste jokes. I just elect to not seek them out. People watch Jerry Springer show (or whatever they have now) and then complain that the whole show is full of idiots ... It isn't, all the idiots are watching the show and the people on the show cash in.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

1 hour ago, Lurking said:

I'm sorry but that's the most asinine argument I've heard here.

A) You admit to not watching it, but are making comments as though you know what was said

B) Joking about sexual harassment DOES impact survivors of sexual harassment [especially those who have been victims where the perpetrator used the exact same excuse that is joked about; that alcohol makes actions acceptable]

C) The irony that you talk about reserving that accusation; while being ignorant enough to not even watch the clip that people are referring to.

1 hour ago, Lurking said:

You are missing the basic point.  They are the largest one on YouTube, I don't watch them, BUT many people do.  The IT industry has a massive problem when it comes to workplace environments, and a lot of it stems from things like this where it becomes "acceptable" to joke about this kind of thing in a workplace environment [which the vast majority of their viewers are males].  There is little to effect change when the top guys essentially keep the stereotype going.

It's also the point that the joke goes way to far; again 69 jokes, small body part jokes at their expense fine...but this crosses the line

13 minutes ago, Lurking said:

Again, it up to viewers to watch such shows or not. And it is up to employees to decide if they feel harassed or not, that requires much more context. Who knows, that whole thing could have been scripted to create this type of outrage for marketing. It may have nothing to do with the actual work environment 

So you watched it but don't comprehend what people are saying?  Got it.

First, what was said was scripted/reviewed as others have said.  Second, it's not about a LMG being sexual harassed...the joke itself is of sexual harassment [and again, it's a trope that's used often by perpetrators to justify and get off with little consequences].  Third, there's an ongoing sexual harassment claim against them...where jokes like this were allegedly directed towards her.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Oh lmao, LMG can't catch a break from doing f*ck ups it seems. This one is pretty bad too.

If you can't stop yourself from making way too inappropriate Sex Jokes then just stop making them altogether. You'll just end up looking way less professional then you already are and piss off your audience even more.

Maybe get inspired by the Hardware News Episodes from GN. They're very well made, straight to the point, no annoying Background Music and if there are Jokes then Steve presents them in a tasteful and relatable way. Without making it seem inappropriate.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

24 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

You'll just end up looking way less professional then you already are and piss off your audience even more.

Maybe get inspired by the Hardware News Episodes from GN. They're very well made, straight to the point, no annoying Background Music and if there are Jokes then Steve presents them in a tasteful and relatable way. Without making it seem inappropriate.

Nothing in that video (outside the joke in question) made me think they even attempt to be a professional outlet. 

I can't imagine someone is cross-watching GN and that show to get tech information. Seems they just do a "hanging out in the man cave and shooting s$$t" show.

I'm not judging, but that is that type of show it seems to be. Watch it or don't. 

As for if that is harassment: who is harassed here? The audience, or employees? If it is the audience, it is up to them to watch. If it is employees, they need to show it is an actual workplace thing and not just fake. Like if you watch a wrestling show, that doesn't mean there is wrestling and screaming in the regular workday, it is made to outrage people.

Overall bad taste, not funny and inappropriate from a legal or workplace point. 

There is a diet/workout channel and the guy basically yells at the audience "hey fatty, it is your fault that you look like a whale...". Sure that wouldn't be workplace appropriate... But that doesn't mean is how he is outside the show and everyone is free to not watch it. I forgot the name of that channel, but I'm sure there are thousands of those.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

38 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

Oh lmao, LMG can't catch a break from doing f*ck ups it seems. This one is pretty bad too.

If you can't stop yourself from making way too inappropriate Sex Jokes then just stop making them altogether. You'll just end up looking way less professional then you already are and piss off your audience even more.

I think its crazy as someone who watches all of Steve's videos that people are claiming he does not make sex jokes in his videos. 
Anytime there is a 69, he cuts in and says "nice"
the joke about incognito mode not doing what you thought it was doing is like your wife giving consent to cheat, is 100% in his ball park of jokes Steve would make. 

No Steve would not have don't the second line of getting promiscuous when drinking, that is not Steve's style of humor. 
But let us stress once more, that is NOT a sexual harassment joke. 

What fuck up happened here? none.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

This stinks of "bro culture". Both the clip I watched with the joke, and some of the replies in this thread.

My opinion is that it is very poor taste to joke about these kinds of things in general, and especially when you work at a company accused of sexual harassment. It's not a good look and comes across as

1) not taking the situation seriously (maybe they think everyone has forgotten?) and

2) lacking self awareness. 

But I also find the overall humor of LTT to be very cringe and boring as well so maybe I am not the target demographic. "haha they said the same joke for the 100th time xD" "LOL 69, that's the sex number!", "lttstore.com lttstore.com lttstore.com xD". 

The bro culture comment for this specific situation is not well founded. Yes that bro culture exists in LTT, but jokes of this style in the specific tech linked video posted here know no gender. Again, there was no sexual harassment joke made here. The joke was sophomoric

34 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I think the "go watch something else" is actually the best answer. If you don't like something why are you consuming it and complaining? Why don't you just take your time, resources, money and everything and give them away to someone who really deserves it, who you can watch without needing to complain? Why must someone, something, whatever else turn into something that is tailored for you rather than you try to find that what you want elsewhere?

I believe this is the biggest problem in todays world, people don't have the backbone to say "this isn't for me, you crossed the line, goodbye" and walk away. But no, they must consume exactly that, get offended by it, interact by complaining and... Do the exact thing that brings in the money. Any social media and especially YouTube lives from the interaction, they don't give a fuck what kind of interaction it is just as long as people leave comments, click the links and generate data that can be monetized. That's why Facebook and Twitter turn into polarized echo boxes because people are more likely to interact with things they agree with and things that they strongly disagree with. Same thing in gaming, EA and Ubishit will continue make the complete garbage level business and drive the game industry into hell because people are too weak to say "fuck it" and leave the NHL and Assassin's Creed into the shelves and not even consume the time it takes to complain about the games.

Enough people just walk away and don't do the thing that brings money to the table, the business must change.

If the humor of LTT isn't your piece of bread, walk away, don't give LTT the views and exposure they need to make money, just walk away and hope enough people have felt the same and are wise enough to do the same and LTT must change their content to lure the people back in, do the changes they need to do to deserve your time and resources over the millions of other content creators competing for your time.

It is a hard thing but that's life, sometimes you must give up what you love to make the thing you love better.

12 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

I think the "go watch something else" is actually the best answer. If you don't like something why are you consuming it and complaining? Why don't you just take your time, resources, money and everything and give them away to someone who really deserves it, who you can watch without needing to complain? Why must someone, something, whatever else turn into something that is tailored for you rather than you try to find that what you want elsewhere?

I believe this is the biggest problem in todays world, people don't have the backbone to say "this isn't for me, you crossed the line, goodbye" and walk away. But no, they must consume exactly that, get offended by it, interact by complaining and... Do the exact thing that brings in the money. Any social media and especially YouTube lives from the interaction, they don't give a fuck what kind of interaction it is just as long as people leave comments, click the links and generate data that can be monetized. That's why Facebook and Twitter turn into polarized echo boxes because people are more likely to interact with things they agree with and things that they strongly disagree with. Same thing in gaming, EA and Ubishit will continue make the complete garbage level business and drive the game industry into hell because people are too weak to say "fuck it" and leave the NHL and Assassin's Creed into the shelves and not even consume the time it takes to complain about the games.

Enough people just walk away and don't do the thing that brings money to the table, the business must change.

If the humor of LTT isn't your piece of bread, walk away, don't give LTT the views and exposure they need to make money, just walk away and hope enough people have felt the same and are wise enough to do the same and LTT must change their content to lure the people back in, do the changes they need to do to deserve your time and resources over the millions of other content creators competing for your time.

It is a hard thing but that's life, sometimes you must give up what you love to make the thing you love better.

+1

And if this actually is sexual harassment in the legal sense, isn't that for judges and jurors to decide after being presented arguments and evidence by both sides?

AFAIK sexual harassment is a legal term that can have legal consequences (criminal or civil case). Accusing someone is one thing. Proofing it is another. 

There is a (lunatic) character called Alex Jones with an outrageous show. When he got divorced his wife wanted to use that show and his unhinged behavior against him to get the kids. But he testified it is all an act to make money. (I don't know nor care if he succeeded with that). Could be the same here.

Ultimately that show can consider arguments in this thread or not. It is up to viewers (and advertisers) to decide if they like that stuff or not. If there is a legal case, it is up to judge/jury to decide 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

9 minutes ago, Lurking said:

+1

And if this actually is sexual harassment in the legal sense, isn't that for judges and jurors to decide after being presented arguments and evidence by both sides?

AFAIK sexual harassment is a legal term that can have legal consequences (criminal or civil case). Accusing someone is one thing. Proofing it is another. 

There is a (lunatic) character called Alex Jones with an outrageous show. When he got divorced his wife wanted to use that show and his unhinged behavior against him to get the kids. But he testified it is all an act to make money. (I don't know nor care if he succeeded with that). Could be the same here.

Ultimately that show can consider arguments in this thread or not. It is up to viewers (and advertisers) to decide if they like that stuff or not. If there is a legal case, it is up to judge/jury to decide 

I cant imagine using a worse counter example then alex jones who is not in character/acting but only did that for a legal defense. 

17 minutes ago, starsmine said:

I cant imagine using a worse counter example then alex jones who is not in character/acting but only did that for a legal defense. 

I have no idea if he is real or just makes a show. I only saw snippets in shows that make fun of him. But he is smart enough to make tons of $ selling books and supplements and so on. All I can guess he is of bad character making a buck by lying to the gullible. I wouldn't be surprised if he made the same show with slightly different topics for the political Left to cash in there as well.

Most YT channels I watch I think I have a good idea what person they really are. But I could be totally wrong. Especially if it is a show without substance relying on entertainment (and outrage). I don't watch entertainment shows, though. Only nerd shows.

I wonder why it isn't considered that people in front of a camera just act? You will be surprised to learn that Pierce Brosnan isn't a spy in real life.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

34 minutes ago, starsmine said:

There are plenty of imbeciles on the internet who go "it's just a joke bro" when they are caught, they tend to say things to rile up other imbeciles, damn the legal consequences. This brand of popularism is pushed by people who are only out there to sell you snake oil. Jones, Peterson, Trump, Carlson, Phelps, all of them. They know who their audience is.

Comparing them to some influencers on the internet who mainly regurgitate news headlines from other sources and occasionally stick a joke in there is pretty wild. LTT has screwdrivers and water bottles to sell, products they had engineered, not repackaged overpriced homeopathic remedies and ghost written books with their names on it.

26 minutes ago, Lurking said:

+1

It's JOKING ABOUT sexual harassment.  Can you please open read what everyone is saying and stop dropping the important concepts of what people are trying to explain to you.

It's like joking about a genocide; it doesn't make it a genocide...but joking about it can still have damage as it can trivialize what people actually have gone through.

In this case JOKING about sexual harassment, trivializes all those people who actually had what they have implied happen to them.

Seriously put yourself in woman's shoes who has gone to a workplace function and been actively hit on, attempted kissing, sexually glorified etc. only to be told that the person was drunk and actions wouldn't be taken.  Joking about such things trivializes what actual victims are going through.  Again, it's like me joking about the genocides going on and then people coming in saying it's not really genocide or that it's just a joke.

I'll say it again, trivializing sexual harassment/assault is part of the problem when it comes to sexual harassment.

The thing about sexual assaults/harassments as well is that barring witnesses or the person admitting to it it rarely is able to be actually prosecuted.

54 minutes ago, Lurking said:

Alex Jones was successfully sued for $1.5 billion dollars for his so called "conspiracies".  No clue why you think he's a good example to make your case.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

25 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

It's JOKING ABOUT sexual harassment.  Can you please open read what everyone is saying and stop dropping the important concepts of what people are trying to explain to you.

its not even joking about sexual harassment. It isn't even implied in the joke. 

The joke is not getting away with harassment and using drinking as an excuse to get away with it. 
being promiscuous is NOT harassment. Unwanted/unappreciated advances is harassment. 

Calling something out that is not an harassment joke, as one also trivializes the term in highly damaging ways. 
Like I said, I'm often the first to call out these types of behaviors from people, I am as feminism-pilled as you can get without out going into radicalism.

image.thumb.jpeg.2845505bcb24146895acddc8c470b8aa.jpeg

Quality content for all ages.

PS
Mods, I know this image might fit "Post Linus Memes Here" thread, but I believe it would be out of context there.
Also, I feel like some of the members here need visual aids. 😆

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

16 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

It's like joking about a genocide; it doesn't make it a genocide...but joking about it can still have damage as it can trivialize what people actually have gone through.

In this case JOKING about sexual harassment, trivializes all those people who actually had what they have implied happen to them.

Seriously put yourself in woman's shoes who has gone to a workplace function and been actively hit on, attempted kissing, sexually glorified etc. only to be told that the person was drunk and actions wouldn't be taken.  Joking about such things trivializes what actual victims are going through.  Again, it's like me joking about the genocides going on and then people coming in saying it's not really genocide or that it's just a joke.

I'll say it again, trivializing sexual harassment/assault is part of the problem when it comes to sexual harassment.

The thing about sexual assaults/harassments as well is that barring witnesses or the person admitting to it it rarely is able to be actually prosecuted.

Alex Jones was successfully sued for $1.5 billion dollars for his so called "conspiracies".  No clue why you think he's a good example to make your case.

I'm not the one watching that show. So I'm not the one supporting their type of jokes or behavior. Go ahead and accuse whoever subscribed to them or sponsors them.

And I say it again, their jokes or the whole show aren't funny or valuable to me. I'm not defending them. It just isn't a legal case before it is. 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

28 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.2845505bcb24146895acddc8c470b8aa.jpeg

Quality content for all ages.

PS
Mods, I know this image might fit "Post Linus Memes Here" thread, but I believe it would be out of context there.
Also, I feel like some of the members here need visual aids. 😆

That should be the thumbnail for the video since they seem to be proud of it.

-= Locked =-

We understand and accept feedback on LMG videos but there is point where the conversation detracts from the OP.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 4/4/2024 at 7:37 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Timestamped if anyone is interested. I must agree @LinusTech @LMGcommunity @RILEYISMYNAME, thats very poor taste your audience and recent events in consideration.

Hard to consider what took place if you don't know (and you don't).

As for the appropriateness of the joke, we've always been PG / PG-13. I don't think there's really gonna be an overall change there. A self-deprecating joke about one's own promiscuity/infidelity is well in-bounds, and watching that get turned into trivializing sexual harassment has been bizarre to behold. Projection is for watching movies, not posting in forums.