Fire Ant infested thermal paste

Zephanyah

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/thermal-paste/gamer-says-ants-infested-his-pc-to-eat-thermal-paste-and-pads-ants-found-proliferating-in-the-gpu-around-thermal-pad-debris

Absolutely insane story about fire ants who just love this guy's thermal paste! 

Now you can feel better about the cleanliness of your computers!

1 hour ago, OhYou_ said:

We're going to have to see the Labs test the cooling efficiency of ants used as thermal interface material

image.png.8db8465b59ee5f2e729566abe352a983.png

would that mean that ants could transfer 10-50 times the heat compared to regular thermal paste?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

4 hours ago, podkall said:

would that mean that ants could transfer 10-50 times the heat compared to regular thermal paste?

The little fuckers that walk underneath my magnifying glass and survive show the ability to safely absorb much more energy than that.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Boy if that's the PC I don't wanna know about the rest of the room...

Average NZXT user. Ants were probably attracted by all the cheeto crumbs and tossed soda cans laying around, and eventually found their way into the PC.

Throughout the years I've found all kinds of bugs inside computers, spiders, roaches, moths, bedbugs, and ants in addition to the tons of thick greasy dust and other debris from years of abuse. Same with every other device, there was this one phone that "sometimes worked" and when I opened it I was greeted by dozens of roaches inbetween the pushbuttons and board, they were preventing the buttons from working, and of course, droppings everywhere.

Went to a house to diagnose a flickering light and when I removed the wall switch it was full of dirt and ants, they had literally eaten the wire insulation off and the dirt did the rest of the job. Then a fluorescent fitting with 3 dead geckos inside, and much more.

The most disgusting I've encountered so far was a fridge with a whole ecosystem inside, the bottom was absolutely taken over by some kind of mud, at least 3 different kinds of mold (green, black and the "hairy" one that looks white" and white mushrooms. The woman said she thought "it was normal" and that it has been there "for 10 years with no issues", and the reason for this is that her mother told her she "couldn't clean the inside of the fridge because it'd start to smell bad" and that "chemicals can't be used if there's food inside". So my job not only consists of repairing things I also have to do biohazard work.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

I'm thinking he used the cream from Oreos as thermal paste or something....

Razer Blade 14 (RZ09-0508x): AMD Ryzen 9 8945HS, nVidia GeForce RTX 4070, 64 GB 5200 DDR5, Win11 Pro [Workhorse/Gaming]

Apple MacBook Pro 14 (A2442): Apple M1 Pro APU (8 Core), 16 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3 [Creative Rig]

Samsung GalaxyBook Pro (NP930QDB-KF4CA): Intel Core i7-1165G7, 16 GB DDR4, Win11 Pro [WinTablet]

HP Envy 15-k257ca: Intel Core i5 5200U, nVidia GeForce 840M, 16GB 1600 DDR3, Win7 Pro [Retro]

Toshiba Satellite A70-S2591:  Intel Pentium 4 538, ATI Radeon 9000 IGP, 1.5 GB DDR RAM, WinXP Pro [Antique]

Hopefully GamersNexus can make a 55minute video of their thermal testing / bench-marking using fire ant compound cooling.

On 2/15/2024 at 4:45 AM, Caroline said:

Boy if that's the PC I don't wanna know about the rest of the room...

Average NZXT user. Ants were probably attracted by all the cheeto crumbs and tossed soda cans laying around, and eventually found their way into the PC.

Throughout the years I've found all kinds of bugs inside computers, spiders, roaches, moths, bedbugs, and ants in addition to the tons of thick greasy dust and other debris from years of abuse. Same with every other device, there was this one phone that "sometimes worked" and when I opened it I was greeted by dozens of roaches inbetween the pushbuttons and board, they were preventing the buttons from working, and of course, droppings everywhere.

Went to a house to diagnose a flickering light and when I removed the wall switch it was full of dirt and ants, they had literally eaten the wire insulation off and the dirt did the rest of the job. Then a fluorescent fitting with 3 dead geckos inside, and much more.

The most disgusting I've encountered so far was a fridge with a whole ecosystem inside, the bottom was absolutely taken over by some kind of mud, at least 3 different kinds of mold (green, black and the "hairy" one that looks white" and white mushrooms. The woman said she thought "it was normal" and that it has been there "for 10 years with no issues", and the reason for this is that her mother told her she "couldn't clean the inside of the fridge because it'd start to smell bad" and that "chemicals can't be used if there's food inside". So my job not only consists of repairing things I also have to do biohazard work.

OMG!!!!

WAYCISSS!!!!!!

NZXT users are human beings too!!!

This kind of bigotwy and waycism is unacceptable!!!!!

living in cyberspace be like:

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

I wonder if they're attracted to the sweet smell of ethylene glycol in the aio.