I Spilled Coke in my Gaming PC… WHAT DO I DO??

mynameGeoff

I might have missed it, can't rewatch the whole video right now, but I'd suggest giving more info on the storage media.

M.2 SSDs should not be very different in terms of cleaning than any other PCB component but for SATA SSDs, I'd say that you might also want to disassemble the case. The water can get inside on the wash stages because the SSD case is not really sealed (screw holes for example) but it's kinda enclosed enough that liquid may need more time to dissipate from the inside. Even if it's distilled water, still no bueno to have it that way.

And some people still have HDDs by the way, I'd imagine that there would be problems with cleaning those. The insides are hermetically sealed as far as I know but those are so fragile, don't know if you can just wash them. Sure people should upgrade from spinning rust but data stored there may be precious.

image.png

Someone needs to mock up a LTT sippy cup or sippy cup lid for the LTT bottle.

2 hours ago, Potatoes2241 said:

I might have missed it, can't rewatch the whole video right now, but I'd suggest giving more info on the storage media.

M.2 SSDs should not be very different in terms of cleaning than any other PCB component but for SATA SSDs, I'd say that you might also want to disassemble the case. The water can get inside on the wash stages because the SSD case is not really sealed (screw holes for example) but it's kinda enclosed enough that liquid may need more time to dissipate from the inside. Even if it's distilled water, still no bueno to have it that way.

And some people still have HDDs by the way, I'd imagine that there would be problems with cleaning those. The insides are hermetically sealed as far as I know but those are so fragile, don't know if you can just wash them. Sure people should upgrade from spinning rust but data stored there may be precious.

image.png

HDD have to breath as there's a void inside that heats and cools, there's a small vent or permeable membrane somewhere. The SATA SSD there has a clamshell on it with a PCB inside, the shell needs to be removed and the inside cleaned out to prevent anything remaining inside it ruining it especially since they laid it upside down which could allow liquids to pool inside.

16 minutes ago, Bitter said:

HDD have to breath as there's a void inside that heats and cools, there's a small vent or permeable membrane somewhere.

There's no way this is 100% true. What about helium hard drives?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

4 minutes ago, Skipple said:

There's no way this is 100% true. What about helium hard drives?

Those are sealed obviously, but anything not specifically gas filled isn't. There's either a very tiny hole with a filter or a goretex like membrane that allows only air to slowly permeate, otherwise they'd become a pressure vessel when they get hot or damaged when changing altitudes as the case would expand or contract and damage the spindle motor and read/write head alignment.

https://hddscan.com/doc/HDD_from_inside.html

41 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Those are sealed obviously, but anything not specifically gas filled isn't. There's either a very tiny hole with a filter or a goretex like membrane that allows only air to slowly permeate, otherwise they'd become a pressure vessel when they get hot or damaged when changing altitudes as the case would expand or contract and damage the spindle motor and read/write head alignment.

This begs the question then, why aren't HDD simply under vacuum? 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

18 hours ago, Middcore said:

Nope. 

Panel7_image.webp

that dont look too bad tbh theres far worse nightmares inside my case where cables are squeezed between the psu and HDD bay

Man the more into electronics and electrical engineering I get, the more I get more and more peeved off about the fear-mongering around computer power supplies.

4 hours ago, Skipple said:

This begs the question then, why aren't HDD simply under vacuum? 

No way for components to shed heat except direct conduction, stop working if it lost vacuum possibly, geometry might change with changes in ambient pressure. Not sure exactly but probably one or some of those reasons. If they're packing them in noble gasses like helium instead of infinitely cheaper vacuum there's got to be a good reason why not vacuum.

This was a great watch. Please make more videos like this, Linus.

In other words, please nearly ruin more PCs for my enjoyment. 🤣

The mind of a person with discernment gets knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge. Proverbs 18:15 CJB

Super random question, but does anyone know what mouse they used in this video? Just curious to find out what it is. 

IMG_1586.png

14 minutes ago, Whalebait_99 said:

Super random question, but does anyone know what mouse they used in this video? Just curious to find out what it is. 

IMG_1586.png

It's a ROCCAT KOVA

On 1/16/2024 at 12:10 PM, wONKEyeYEs said:

Stop drinking that crap, it does even more damage inside you.

that's what I am saying

On 1/16/2024 at 11:37 AM, mynameGeoff said:

Thanks OriginPC for sponsoring today's video! Check out their line of pre-built and custom PCs at https://bit.ly/originpc-ltt

What should you do when you spill your drink on your PC? I mean… AFTER you’re done just totally freaking out!

honestly should have tested the original GPU but whatever

On 1/19/2024 at 8:53 AM, LMGcommunity said:

It's a ROCCAT KOVA

Thank you!

Thats why I
a) put my "Pc" into a Server Rack

b) have an Win Tablet who is Water Resistant

From AT. :x