Lenovo Legion Go as a PC

This question seems like it fits in a couple of subforums, so I'm guessing it goes here. I've seen a lot of reviews of the Legion Go as a handheld gaming unit, and lots of mentions about how it's actually a full-on Windows PC (unlike the Steam Deck), but no one really goes into that side of it. I've been looking at 7840U-powered laptops anyway, which is basically what the Z1 Extreme is, so I'm kind of wondering...for less than the cost of a comparable laptop, could I pick up a low-profile 60% keyboard and connect it to the Legion Go, then use the Legion Go w/dock as a laptop when I need one and a Windows-based gaming portable when I need one of those (meaning all my games work...some don't on the Steam deck) and be proud of my smartiness?

Or am I banging a square peg into a round hole in such a fashion that both peg and hole will be F'ed, and I should just pony up for an actual 7840U laptop instead?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I know someone who uses a Steam Deck with a triple monitor setup as a workstation and they're happy with it... All personal preference though. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

31 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Or am I banging a square peg into a round hole in such a fashion that both peg and hole will be F'ed, and I should just pony up for an actual 7840U laptop instead?

Do you need a big screen? Do you need a keyboard that is attached at all times? Do you need easily upgradable components (in which case I would advise you to build an SFF PC), do you need support for pen input (get a graphics tablet or a cheap-ish convertible)?
If not, go for it. If the answer is yes, but you just need a keyboard: GPD Win.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

1 minute ago, Bismut said:

Do you need a big screen? Do you need a keyboard that is attached at all times? Do you need easily upgradable components (in which case I would advise you to build an SFF PC), do you need support for pen input (get a graphics tablet or a cheap-ish convertible)?
If not, go for it. If the answer is yes, but you just need a keyboard: GPD Win.

GPD Win units cost almost twice as much, though. That's my issue there. If I'm jumping up to that price range, Thinkpads start to look very tempting.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

GPD Win units cost almost twice as much, though. That's my issue there. If I'm jumping up to that price range, Thinkpads start to look very tempting.

Okay yeah, think about whether you can live with the tradeoffs then (and also, the "non-professionality" of showing up with a gaming device with a seperate keyboard).

I do have to say that I am pretty disappointed in my Thinkpad X13 Yoga. It is mostly because the processor is a snail and 16GB of RAM are apparently not enough for what I do, although I am also running Manjaro, which is not a great OS. Looking to change back to Mint soon, but it is really unfortunate that the RAM is not upgradable at all.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

49 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

could I pick up a low-profile 60% keyboard and connect it to the Legion Go, then use the Legion Go w/dock as a laptop when I need one

well it won't really be a laptop, keep in mind the small but meaningful differences between a mini PC and a laptop. But I'm more partial to a mini PC when it comes to actual work and harder things on the go. so this idea is pretty well in line with a setup like that. In other words, this is definitely the sort of thing I would do.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Best you could look at it from the go is quite literally a product thats been around for a long time.

Windows tablets like a surface. Instead of the keyvoard/trackpad cover you use a separate keyboard and mouse.

I know plenty of people that did this bit of a coinflip if they later switched to a laptop or got a keyboard cover since they got annoyed by having the constantly have all 3 things with them and charged.

It also prevents basically doing mobile work since simply put there is nothing to put the stuff on.

If that is ok for you yeah sure totally doable.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

This question seems like it fits in a couple of subforums, so I'm guessing it goes here. I've seen a lot of reviews of the Legion Go as a handheld gaming unit, and lots of mentions about how it's actually a full-on Windows PC (unlike the Steam Deck), but no one really goes into that side of it. I've been looking at 7840U-powered laptops anyway, which is basically what the Z1 Extreme is, so I'm kind of wondering...for less than the cost of a comparable laptop, could I pick up a low-profile 60% keyboard and connect it to the Legion Go, then use the Legion Go w/dock as a laptop when I need one and a Windows-based gaming portable when I need one of those (meaning all my games work...some don't on the Steam deck) and be proud of my smartiness?

To me it depends on how your going to use it.

One example is having a desk set up with screen(s), mouse and keyboard attached to a dock. Plug in the dock to the Go and have a desktop setup.

If you need something a bit more mobile however, you might want to look in to a more portable keyboard w/ touchpad type of setup. I know Logitech has one geared more towards media PC's. You wouldnt be using it for gaming, but for basic stuff it should work.

The handheld is likely going to be more portable then any laptop. If you go with the first setup mentioned the handheld makes more sense. If you are going to need a "laptop" on the go, then it might be more sense to buy a laptop instead.

Another option is buying a tablet with a keyboard attachment and buying the Legion Go, but that might cost more money. My friend for example has a Steam Deck for gaming and a Surface Go (not sure what gen) that he uses for media and other basic things.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.