I did this on purpose... ask me why

JordB

Interesting stuff.

At work we have two devices for this kind of stuff. For spinning drives we have a 20.000 gauss degausser, and for ssds we have a shredder. A colleague of mine tried to shred a 2.5" HDD, the results were.... interesting

apCGRfn - Imgur.jpg

back when i worked at -some shipping provider- we had a prodcedre for destroying compactflash cards from firewalls that involved a pair of pliers in specific positioning. because we knew where the two chips in the CF cards were, and grabbing it the right way and just ripping it between the two pliers essentially shredded both chips.

it's an interesting space to do guaranteed data removal.

Wonder if it would be possible to build a ramset jig into a case, designed to rapidly destroy the memory chips of an SSD, should any tampering be detected.

Would love to see forensics recover data from chips, that have nails stuck through them. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

17 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Wonder if it would be possible to build a ramset jig into a case, designed to rapidly destroy the memory chips of an SSD, should any tampering be detected.

Would love to see forensics recover data from chips, that have nails stuck through them. 

This is what the TPM-module on your motherboard is for. The encryption key to your harddrives can live in there, in a tamper-proof chip, any tampering, the data is inaccessible

wow, just wow,  It's so good, like somebody read some of my post here on the forums about it. 

I like that they cover almoust everything, I feel like it could be little more highlighted, to do not use HDD erasing programs for SSD, and only use secure erase on them.
(It was explained, why not to do it, but I think it could me more highlighted, as we do see people on the forum zeroing the SSD for no apparent reason )
I like how they did highlighted that even secure erase is only OK, only if implemented correctly in the SSD/program (like checking the result value after, and reporting it correctly). That's important. 

I like how they did mention SED drives, how they work, and that by default, they do not encrypt the data! That's important. (yes, I know they do encrypt it, while they don't, but just let it go for now...) 
They only failed to mention that nowadays, nobody trust SED HDD/SSD anymore, and why is that. 
And the problem of zeroing SMR HDD. 
rest is very good, it's very comprehensive guide for any novice. 

EDIT:                              

Ps. The only one more shenanigans that I rarely touched upon, is the type od SED SSD/HDD and secure erase command. Ther are some shenanigans in implementation there in some models. 
"The data encryption is always running; however, encryption keys are not managed, and the data is not secure until either TCG/Opal or ATA security feature sets are enabled." so typical SED drive, but 
"This technique is a quick means to sanitize the drive, since deleting the encryption key will, in theory, render the data on the drive irretrievable." 

Basically when such SED SSD/HDD retrieves secure erase command, it's just deleting, and generating new encryption key by itself. 

You probably see where this is going... 
The default encryption key, and it's storage space, on the SSD itself... not to mention the pseudo random, key generators.

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Not exactly using a ramset jig, but something like this:

set up to trigger upon tampering, would be kinda cool.

2 hours ago, ScuttleSE said:

This is what the TPM-module on your motherboard is for. The encryption key to your harddrives can live in there, in a tamper-proof chip, any tampering, the data is inaccessible

Encryption itself is a very strong, potentially insurmountable, layer of security. But it’s only one layer, and should be a last resort at that.

Ideally, I’d prefer not to even provide attackers the opportunity to perform brute force attack. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, kokosnh said:

They only failed to mention that nowadays, nobody trust SED HDD/SSD anymore, and why is that. 

The reason is pretty obvious. Not destroying the drive and trusting the encryption to never be broken is terrible practice, because you have no means of verifying that the encryption is indeed flawless or that there won't be a point where breaking said encryption through brute force will become viable. And then you're facing a scenario where you let out confidential data instead of just destroying it outright beyond retrieval. It's just overall much less of a headache to destroy it.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

At work we recently purchased and used the Pure Leverage drive crusher. It is quite fun and worked great on destroying a variety of older data center drives. We also used it on several 2.5" drives. A few of the drives had glass platters and they would shatter as we crushed them. The best part is we finally worked through our backlog of drives as everyone enjoyed taking a turn at crushing a few drives. I attached the link below in case anyone else is interested as we were.

https://purelev.com

That thumbnail... Linus is starting to look old.

image.png.892d2d07fdfc359fc2633fc1b4d51aa9.png

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

yeah even drive in pic.  you can get recover data from it.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

13 hours ago, dogwitch said:

yeah even drive in pic.  you can get recover data from it.

Even after it's been through the degausser?

17 hours ago, Ryker Robb said:

Even after it's been through the degausser?

change in patterns of magnetic field.  you can reverse figure out the pattern.

a trick in space science can be applied to data storage.

nsa/cia

general will melt the drives. the only way to permanently destroy the data.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

6 hours ago, dogwitch said:

*In theory. 

I'd like to see any real life examples of this being done on a modern drive. The data densities are soo small, that any traces of patterns leftover after a degauss are going to be next to imposible to find, let alone interpret.

image.thumb.png.6a8ff4a50d10b229f6f855d3755f0bdc.png

8 hours ago, dogwitch said:

the thing with HDD degaussers is they are validated to wreck the magentic field on the platters of specific technologies (that they are validated for) hard enough that realisticly there is not enough left to reconstruct any data. in theory there will be vague remanents of the original data, but it is impossible to distinguish those remanents from the noise around them.