Is Linus spoiling his kids?

Gat Pelsinger

I am astonished in how much gaming Linus gives to his kids nowadays. I know, I am nobody to control him, but still, from their personal setups to the caravan gaming, to server rackmounted gaming, and much more from other video projects, isn't Linus giving too much luxury to his children? I mean, even with me with all the dedication that I have converted from the sadness and anger of not having tech luxury, at the most I would only give my children a small game console in Nursery, an Xbox or PS in 1st year, A light laptop in 4th, a mobile in 6th or earlier, and a gaming PC around sometime. Not TEN of the top-of-the-line RTX 4090 gaming PCs at age 5.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

1 minute ago, Hensen Juang said:

I am astonished in how much gaming Linus gives to his kids nowadays. I know, I am nobody to control him, but still, from their personal setups to the caravan gaming, to server rackmounted gaming, and much more from other video projects, isn't Linus giving too much luxury to his children? I mean, even with me with all the dedication that I have converted from the sadness and anger of not having tech luxury, at the most I would only give my children a small game console in Nursery, an Xbox or PS in 1st year, A light laptop in 4th, a mobile in 6th or earlier, and a gaming PC around sometime. Not TEN of the top-of-the-line RTX 4090 gaming PCs at age 5.

well he may be but heas a ritch man and wants to make his kids happy i can respect it they dont give spoiled vibes from what i see in the viedos they seem to be raised well so theres not much roung with it 

I don't think you can compare "Dad I want to play Minecraft" and their dad building them a swimming pool cooled 3080 system to a child demanding their dad build them an i9 4090 build using diamonds. Spoiling a child is usually in the context of rewarding certain behaviors rather than how expensive that reward is.

And in general just too bad. That's the family they're born into and now get to reap all the dividends. As long as the kids recognize the position they grew up in and don't have a "don't you guys have phones?" dilemma when they become adults, all will be fine.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Remember, what you see in the videos is not objective reality. Linus the butterfingers tech tips man is not Linus the person. He's said numerous times that he hams up a character on the channel, and that many of the projects in videos are taken to an absurd degree to make the content more engaging.

Balancing fun gaming tech content with structured parenting is a good topic for discussion, but your post just sounds envious.

Don't build parasocial relationships with content creators.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 10/11/2023 at 9:51 AM, Hensen Juang said:

Not TEN of the top-of-the-line RTX 4090 gaming PCs at age 5.

Where did he put 4090s in multiple rigs?  Plus are the kids really going to know the difference between a low-end PC and a high-end PC, so what difference does it make?

I had a 3 PC LAN in my late teens using mostly trash PCs, I had a friend who did the same for when his kids stayed over at his one bedroom flat.  The kids didn't know it was outdated tech, them having something their friends didn't have is not a great metric for how entitled they are (at least not in the context you mean).

I mean I do think it was telling when Linus did the video where he was sad that "kids wont be amazed at having doorbell cameras", as if everyone now has them when that is far from the case.  Some families decades ago may have had them before it became cheap tech too.

But there is only so much we can surmise from tech videos as he is naturally only showing his kids using tech, not what they do 99% of the time.  There's plenty of kids from low income families where the parents let their kids play with smartphones all day which is far more damaging than a wealthy family enforcing screen time.

Do I think there is a risk of them growing up a bit entitled?  Sure, because of his entire house and wealth, not what he specifically gives to them.  But we have no way to know what he is doing to teach them that this is not the norm and to appreciate what they have.

I've certainly seen on more than one occasion Linus seem somewhat humble by how far he has come, but he is also a tech nerd so in his position I'm sure I'd have done the same with the house going all out on tech, because you can.  But if I had kids I would also try to make sure they appreciate their entitled position and not take it for granted.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

they're a wealthy household, but i wouldnt equate that to the kids being spoiled.

from what is visible and linus has said they're a very strict household, and the kids dont look like spoiled brats either.

11 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Why Litmus-senpai no give RTX 4090 to me?!?!?!

haha

Why do you care how another man parents his children? They are getting food, love, and an education. Everything else is trivial 

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

What even is the point of this post? 

Also, you have no idea on how Linus raises his kids. Maybe his kids knows that what the have is not normal and that they really need to appreciate it and take care of their things. I mean, who says Linus won't stop giving things to his kids, if he sees they start to don't care and so on? 

I think you can easily raise kids to become good kids, that understand they are wealthy and so on, and that they have to appreciate it and will. It's all about how you raise them, not what you give them (of things). 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

What you see on video isn't representative of what his kids actually receive. 
He even said in the latest video on the 1U gaming PCs (with such a great title like "My most painful PC build is done." /s), that his girl didn't get to keep the gaming PC they made "for her" in the past. It was just a video. You can tell his kids are not spoiled rotten by the way the act on video. Reserved and all that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I have to wonder if this is a regional thing - I’m a Canadian guy, and when I was a kid I knew the wealthy kids and went to their houses for birthday parties and played their brand new GameCubes and such. 

20 years later, they’re fine. The kids are alright. 👍 

He literally kicked his son out of his ranked rocket league game to make content. This is mental abuse, not spoiling.

/s

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 hours ago, Hensen Juang said:

at the most I would only give my children a small game console in Nursery, an Xbox or PS in 1st year, A light laptop in 4th, a mobile in 6th or earlier, and a gaming PC around sometime

If you are thinking about giving a "small game console" to a kid in the nursery then you really do not get to criticise Linus, or anyone at all, IMHO.

In "some" (I'm few weeks behind) WAN Show Linus talked about the LAN center he is building for his kids. Saying "I'm mainly doing things I would have liked as a kid". That imo says most about this. He is living his childhood dreams through his kids. And I personally don't think letting them be part of his job/hobby isn't a bad thing. It would be much worse if he would be only one in the house using all the toys and telling kids to suck it up. Now that brews trouble in future.

Spoiling a kid would be about giving them all the stuff THEY want. No limits, no "you have to do this", nothing. Thats what makes them to treat others badly, not appreciating value of money etc. I don't remember if Linus has talked about what kinds of phones his kids have. Getting them the newest iPhone everytime it releases would be spoiling. Giving them the couple year old isn't. Or not buying new thing if something breaks (this still seems to be common tactic for kids to try to get new stuff).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I grew up in a working class family, but the amount of (analogue) toys I had at that age easily adds up to the gaming opportunities Linus provides to his children. What does it matter if toys are digital or not?

On 10/11/2023 at 11:37 AM, OhioYJ said:

Why is it any of your business what goes on in his house?

There always has to be this one guy.

From the authors of "is it any of our bus what happened with Madison" (around the time she suddenly vanished) to a 170page thread a few years later.

If you don't like discussing things that are not elemental to your very personal life, maybe don't spend time in forums.

On 10/11/2023 at 1:19 PM, TylerD321 said:

Why do you care how another man parents his children? They are getting food, love, and an education. Everything else is trivial 

Not at all how rising kids works. First parts are elemental, many more important things come on top. Regulated access to luxury goods is one of them. Not having to work for very expensive things does transmit a message, no matter how often you tell kids how lucky they are.

53 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

There always has to be this one guy.

Nearly everyone in this thread shares the same sentiment. Not just one guy.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

I'm probably gonna sound like a glazer, but i saw this title and I wanted to reply to it.

In the most respectful way, why do you care? He's a dad, and a seemingly decent one at that. Yeah, he may be "spoiling" them, but it's not your issue. You don't know them, none of this really effects you. Let the man parent his kids, he seems to be doing just fine with it. I mean, he started a succsesful company, and has a bunch of "free" computer parts laying around, ofc he's gonna want to spend some of that money/use some of those parts for his family. It doesn't really matter.

Plus, it can make for decent content. Like when he did those builds w his kids or whatever. I mean you could say at that point he is just using his kids for content, which ig could be a more valid concern, but it's just not like that u feel? He's not like a family vlogger where he shoves the camera in their face u feel.

I don't mean to be an asshole and like talk down to you, but it's like why do you care how some dude online is parenting his own kids, unless he's like abusing them but like, no. I don't know just my thoughts.

18 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Nearly everyone in this thread shares the same sentiment. Not just one guy.

same arguments still apply.