Is Linus spoiling his kids?

Gat Pelsinger
On 10/11/2023 at 4:51 AM, Hensen Juang said:

I am astonished in how much gaming Linus gives to his kids nowadays. I know, I am nobody to control him, but still, from their personal setups to the caravan gaming, to server rackmounted gaming, and much more from other video projects, isn't Linus giving too much luxury to his children? I mean, even with me with all the dedication that I have converted from the sadness and anger of not having tech luxury, at the most I would only give my children a small game console in Nursery, an Xbox or PS in 1st year, A light laptop in 4th, a mobile in 6th or earlier, and a gaming PC around sometime. Not TEN of the top-of-the-line RTX 4090 gaming PCs at age 5.

Who cares?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Since this is  a forum set up to discuss the  activities of someone who chooses to make big deal out of his and his families recreational activities, the sentiment, "who cares" is counter to the intent of the forum and Linus' raison d'etre.

If enough people take the "who cares" position, Linus soon won't be able to pay for his kid's game-playing. And then nobody wins! Apparently.

4 minutes ago, Rex Hite said:

Since this is  a forum set up to discuss the  activities of someone who chooses to make big deal out of his and his families recreational activities, the sentiment, "who cares" is counter to the intent of the forum and Linus' raison d'etre.

No, this is a forum to discuss tech.  Not peoples family.

41 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

No, this is a forum to discuss tech.  Not peoples family.

i cant believe you would think that! all 9400 of my posts have all been specifically about Linus's life and family!

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika said:

i cant believe you would think that! all 9400 of my posts have all been specifically about Linus's life and family!

I mean, I'm willing to bet there's at least a few people on here who would love to do nothing more than just speculate about linus and his life.

some people are fuckin' creepy

I can't believe this is a thread actually... who cares. if they enjoy and have family time together doing what they like? What's wrong in that? Are we also gonna discuss all the kids of multi-miljonair celebs now? It's very good to embrace interest of kids. I don't have a feeling at all the Linus is "making" the kids do anything. Seems they are interested for real and I love it he lets them do their thing.

I repair circuits from laptops and such as a hobby. My son loves this and yes, he has destroyed many things, but that's learning. Being able to take stuff apart and try to put it together is in my opinion the best way of learning.

Probably yes, unintentionally likely yes. Intentionally hard to say.

Is this our business to know? Absolutely not.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

You're also working under the assumption that his kids give a sh** about all of the PC and video game stuff. They could be outdoorsy kids and have zero interest in all of the tech that Linus keeps outfitting the house with.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 10/11/2023 at 4:51 AM, Hensen Juang said:

I am astonished in how much gaming Linus gives to his kids nowadays. I know, I am nobody to control him, but still, from their personal setups to the caravan gaming, to server rackmounted gaming, and much more from other video projects, isn't Linus giving too much luxury to his children? I mean, even with me with all the dedication that I have converted from the sadness and anger of not having tech luxury, at the most I would only give my children a small game console in Nursery, an Xbox or PS in 1st year, A light laptop in 4th, a mobile in 6th or earlier, and a gaming PC around sometime. Not TEN of the top-of-the-line RTX 4090 gaming PCs at age 5.

I don't think so. He has shown time and time again that they are only allowed to have a certain amount of gaming time per day. Besides, they are his kids, I would hope he wants to spoil them at least a little.

The whole gaming life style thing is probably played up for the camera and for Linus's nerdy side. I can't imagine a healthy families life is centered around video games.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

All parents should "spoil" their kids from time to time.  We grew up poor and going to McDonald's was our parents way of spoiling us for that day.

That said, this is an extremely creepy thread to create.

I don't get the purpose of this thread. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

@Needfuldoer OMG less go! I would never have thought I would make it to a WAN show!

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

34 minutes ago, Hensen Juang said:

@Needfuldoer OMG less go! I would never have thought I would make it to a WAN show!

Plus you got a very comprehensive answer.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I agree! 

He should give me all those systems to run folding on. 

Did you know folding is a great way to be part of a community on the forum and you may even win a prize! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

35 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I agree! 

He should give me all those systems to run folding on. 

Did you know folding is a great way to be part of a community on the forum and you may even win a prize! 

this man can turn any thread into an ad for the F@H community

59 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

this man can turn any thread into an ad for the F@H community

Theres a reason we've gone from 14th to 3rd over the last few years, events and advertising! 

Join folding, get badges, win prizes, make friends. 

It's that simple 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

as a parent, I just built my kids their own PCs this year.  they get to use them when they earn time on them for being good.  are my kids spoiled?  yes, they have their own gaming PCs.  do they get unlimited use of them?  nope, they have to earn it by being good and showing that they deserve it.  There has been times when they have gotten really close to me taking them apart and selling them.  

When I was a kid I saved my money and bought a PC, and payed for the internet, so my mom could only turn off the power to my room to try to control me.  

Wars were fought over the circuit breaker.

4 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

When I was a kid I saved my money and bought a PC, and payed for the internet, so my mom could only turn off the power to my room to try to control me.  

Wars were fought over the circuit breaker.

When I was a kid my first PC was a random PC my stepdads friend was throwing away. Not giving away because he didn't want it anymore... Throwing it away because it was useless. So I got a cheap PC, but my screentime wasn't limited and nothing I did was watched and that is how I was created as a person tbh.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

3 hours ago, TylerD321 said:

When I was a kid my first PC was a random PC my stepdads friend was throwing away. Not giving away because he didn't want it anymore... Throwing it away because it was useless. So I got a cheap PC, but my screentime wasn't limited and nothing I did was watched and that is how I was created as a person tbh.

My parents gave me my first computer.  A Commodore Vic-20.  I know, I was spoiled.