Linus should travel to poorer countries to clean up his image and level his ego. International version of Scrapyard wars maybe?

poochyena

To be blunt, I feel like Linus, over the past year or so, has turned into the stereotypical self-absorbed rich person. I believe its part of why the scandal happened recently. So I would like to see Linus travel to a country with a lower GDP per capita than Canada and experience what the tech world is like for people living there. My suggestion is Malaysia since its a tech focused country, safe, most people speak english, and its very far away from Canada.

I think a Scrapyard wars season in a completely foreign country could be extremely interesting to watch, with the competitors limited to a budget of what locals would make in a month. Learning how much people make in other countries, and comparing it to the costs of computer parts, would be very educational.

And maybe another video in the country "I upgraded an elementary school's computer systems!". Its a little corny, but I think Linus's image could really benefit from some real, in person, charity work. I think he, as a person, along with his audience, could really benefit from seeing what the tech world is like in "non-western" countries. It can be a real perspective change.

LTT's 3rd most popular video is "Building a PC CHEAPER in CHINA?! feat. Strange Parts", so clearly the idea of this is popular. (Just don't go back to china again, go somewhere new).

< removed by moderation >

Edited by LogicalDrm

That's why I'd rather recommend TechYesCity with his decent coverage of older - previous gen and second hand market offerings. 🙂 

Btw, there are vast differences between different SE-strata people even within one country. Hungary can be a very nice place to live. And a miserable one as well, with the socioeconomic gap getting larger and larger and substantial areas are lagging behind in development, economic output and life quality.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

7 minutes ago, BrandonLatzig said:

How would this help him at all?
"Look at me, I am rich so I am going to poor countries to just show how Rich I am" ?

Like I said, it can be a real perspective change. If you haven't experienced it yourself, maybe you wouldn't understand. As I explained, its not just going to the country, but actually experiencing what its like to live there, such as trying to scrap together a computer with a local average wage.

A lot of people live in a bubble, not interacting with others outside their bubble. When you leave your bubble, it can completely change your view on things. When you never leave your bubble, you start to think small issues are actually big issues and become more self-absorbed, believing you're more self important.

6 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Btw, there are vast differences between different SE-strata people even within one country. Hungary can be a very nice place to live. And a miserable one as well, with the socioeconomic gap getting larger and larger and substantial areas are lagging behind in development, economic output and life quality.

I know. In Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur is very nice. I would live there. But there are many rural areas too. Probably the outskirts of a big city would be a good place to make videos.

No thanks, that sounds like a horrible idea

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Three things that this brings up.

1. When has Linus been more philanthropic? When has he's gist been to help those in need and spread his wealth? When I see these types of threads, I must wonder which channel you have watched. He hasn't really changed in these perspectives. But your view on him has changed between when he was working out of garage to building Labs and badminton center. And you have to remember, most giveaways are sponsored, so sponsor has big say on who gets and what.

2. I'm pretty sure he knows how things are in other countries. He has extended family in Indonesia after all. Would going into another country change the views, or more importantly, the actions/content made? No. You bring up the video with Strange Parts. That's not about general wealth or what's available for middle class. That's just about what a tech mall in country with most production of the area holds. Which is why it's interesting. So having content about how bad the markets are isn't going to bring views, or change the general publics opinions towards other countries.

3. You want him to become more like MrBeast? Showering "the poor" with money to gain views. There's drawback with that. Yes, it will temporarily give light and happiness for small group. But also make them a target. Because the bigger picture in most of these countries isn't so rosie, having much of something expensive makes you a target. If not by common thieves, then by someone else who thinks selling the bit better laptops will give them enough money. Doing it once also would give same result as doing ANY giveaway does. Salt and grief about "why noy us" and "you are bad person for not doing this to everyone".

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, poochyena said:

To be blunt, I feel like Linus, over the past year or so, has turned into the stereotypical self-absorbed rich person. I believe its part of why the scandal happened recently. So I would like to see Linus travel to a country with a lower GDP per capita than Canada and experience what the tech world is like for people living there. My suggestion is Malaysia since its a tech focused country, safe, most people speak english, and its very far away from Canada.

I think a Scrapyard wars season in a completely foreign country could be extremely interesting to watch, with the competitors limited to a budget of what locals would make in a month. Learning how much people make in other countries, and comparing it to the costs of computer parts, would be very educational.

And maybe another video in the country "I upgraded an elementary school's computer systems!". Its a little corny, but I think Linus's image could really benefit from some real, in person, charity work. I think he, as a person, along with his audience, could really benefit from seeing what the tech world is like in "non-western" countries. It can be a real perspective change.

LTT's 3rd most popular video is "Building a PC CHEAPER in CHINA?! feat. Strange Parts", so clearly the idea of this is popular. (Just don't go back to china again, go somewhere new).

What a load of rubbish.  
I mean seriously why do people get so jealous that they feel insulted when someone has worked hard and done well for themselves.   
Thinking Linus is some sort of rich snob is absolutely hilarious 😂🤣

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

1. When has Linus been more philanthropic? When has he's gist been to help those in need and spread his wealth?

Rarely? Which is, uhh, kinda the point?

Would going into another country change the views, or more importantly, the actions/content made?

yes

So having content about how bad the markets are isn't going to bring views, or change the general publics opinions towards other countries.

disagree

3. You want him to become more like MrBeast? Showering "the poor" with money to gain views.

no.

This is a confusing take, as someone from one of those "poorer countries" I think the exact opposite, I find Linus to be one of the most relatable and down to earth (except when it come to tech) famous personality out there with the occasional adhd like behaviors, what you are describing is more of a rich (hypocrite) person pr stunt.

Any indictment of Linus on the matter of privilege would inevitability lead to a similar indictment of the tech user community he serves.

What would the video even look like?

fake thumbnail.jpg

16 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Three things that this brings up.

2. I'm pretty sure he knows how things are in other countries. He has extended family in Indonesia after all. Would going into another country change the views, or more importantly, the actions/content made? No. You bring up the video with Strange Parts. That's not about general wealth or what's available for middle class. That's just about what a tech mall in country with most production of the area holds. Which is why it's interesting. So having content about how bad the markets are isn't going to bring views, or change the general publics opinions towards other countries.

He have a distant extended family in Indonesia? Can you show me the detail?

I am interested as I am Indonesian btw

21 hours ago, poochyena said:

As someone from a neighboring counties of Malaysia I think the idea you have would be considered condescending. Especially if you put it in companion with scrap yard wars.

It will appear like a saviour complex type of content where a westerner tried to save 'backward countries.'

A really nice way to get cancelled and trolled online 🤣

There not so much difference between N American countries with SEA big countries in term if tech availability. There are some companies do different spec but not much other than that.

China is interesting because they are a major producer of tech with many tech startup and quirky product. Malaysia is more of oem maker that make the tech from western brand.

4 hours ago, Cooldoe said:

He have a distant extended family in Indonesia? Can you show me the detail?

I am interested as I am Indonesian btw

I may remember it wrong. Yvonne said it in some recent FP video, I think. But checking on the video they have released, it seems to be Singapore instead. So video they did is this:

13 hours ago, poochyena said:

1) Rarely? Which is, uhh, kinda the point?

2) yes

3) disagree

4) no.

Wow, so much arguments to counter-argue. Added numbers so I don't need to cut this quote. 

1) Rarely is correct. And never to "poor" by his own choice. More rare to kids (and always blasted about it hard). Most notable giveaway towards kids was some halloween thingy where instead of candy he gave away hardware. That was extremely poorly planned and executed (exposing both his own house and kids besides neighbours). He has noted of being tech-parent in his kids school (teaching about, not giving away) and improving the dojo his son is training at (adding video equipment for parents to participate remotely).

Any actual giveaways and such done towards those with "poor" conditions (my English is not working today) have been by other communitites such as Make-A-Wish.

The point here being that your argument is that A) when you reach certain economic status, you must be showing your wealth away or else you are crappy person. Or B) he has made statements in past to be for improving life of others once he gets to economic stability, and now when its a thing, he isn't doing it actively. Why else would you make statement like this:

To be blunt, I feel like Linus, over the past year or so, has turned into the stereotypical self-absorbed rich person.

2) Can you give me examples of Youtubers or other celebrities that have achieved this? Turn of personality, goals and views doesn't happen overnight unless you are very easily manipulated.

3) Same as above. Having certain informative content is only affecting those who are generally more open to idea. The majority is watching LTT for entertainment, and would just skip the content thats more about social and economical justice in countries most of them can't really have any effect with their own decisions.

4) Yet:

And maybe another video in the country "I upgraded an elementary school's computer systems!". Its a little corny, but I think Linus's image could really benefit from some real, in person, charity work.

This is MrBeast style of content. "Let's shove money to poor and make video about it. Its charity, so easy tax write-off and I get to be seen as the nice guy."

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Sounds like an old episode of Top Gear.

Honestly, I can see quite a few ways this can blow up, including being accused of: Exploitation of wealth gap, Colonialist attitude, White savior complex, tonedeafness in relations to culture and povety.

Why in the name of our lord and saviour Gabe should Linus decide to kick that hornets nest?

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)