LTT Official Folding Month VI

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Message added by TVwazhere,

Daily point updates are posted here:

On 10/20/2023 at 5:10 PM, Lightwreather JfromN said:

So, fyi, the folding names you've entered into the sign-up form are not turning up anything on the EOC database, so I'd like for you to confirm that the folding name you've given is correct, or that you have not folded under that name as yet. Do note that folding names are case-sensitive.

@RunTheJules, Folding name: RunTheJules

Confirmed, would you like the config file? Running as a docker container in my unraid server... 

It's Fine, Everything's fine.

currently only crunching on the 4070Ti's untill the event starts.
With just the two 4070Ti's i can run the fans in my server at 700RPM, and the cards stay 50C! the silence in my server rack right now is bliss.

6 hours ago, RunTheJules said:

Confirmed, would you like the config file? Running as a docker container in my unraid server... 

Nah, no need. I just need to make sure we're pulling the right names. People who haven't folded don't show up on the EOC database, so we've simply got to confirm if the name is right or not

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

I have two machines primed and ready for running Folding throughout the majority of the month.

Old gaming desktops, that were top of the line in 2016-2018/19. Fresh windows installs on SSDs. XMP enabled on both. Other than that, nothing has really been tuned.

Is there anything I can tune or change to optimize my folding?

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

2 hours ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

I have two machines primed and ready for running Folding throughout the majority of the month.

Old gaming desktops, that were top of the line in 2016-2018/19. Fresh windows installs on SSDs. XMP enabled on both. Other than that, nothing has really been tuned.

Is there anything I can tune or change to optimize my folding?

what are your GPU's? you might want to optimize the power curve on those. if efficiency doesn't matter you can also just overclock the snot out of em 🙂 

19 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

what are your GPU's? you might want to optimize the power curve on those. if efficiency doesn't matter you can also just overclock the snot out of em 🙂 

1st machine:

Ryzen 3600x

16GB

GTX 1080 FE

2nd machine:

i7 7700k

16gb

5700XT

The 1080 machine still gets semi-daily use but the 2nd machine rarely gets touched at all, usually to troubleshoot something else lol

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

On 10/15/2023 at 1:18 PM, Kilrah said:

He's talking of the F@H "quick return bonus", nothing to do with the event.

Basically on a new folding username/passkey you won't get the bonus (that makes like 90% of the points) for the first 10 WUs, so he was suggesting you get those in before the event starts.

Because it's the same username I used last event, it says I already "have" 64 WU's. Do I have to get 10 more WU's or am I good?

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

1 minute ago, Birblover12 said:

Because it's the same username I used last event, it says I already "have" 64 WU's. Do I have to get 10 more WU's or am I good?

as long as you have at least a 80% completion rate you are good 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

as long as you have at least a 80% completion rate you are good 

how would I check that lol 😅

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

Just now, Birblover12 said:

how would I check that lol 😅

No way to check it 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

So since my 5950X was moved into my ITX AI upscaling box with the 4090 FE, my ATX X570 was sat in its box looking lonely.  Meanwhile the board that used to be my AI box was looking silly in the be quiet DX500 case, with empty space doing nothing useful as the case wont fit my M.2 to PCIe riser cable due to being a solid motherboard tray.  THIS WOULD NOT DO!

So ordered an R5 5600, swapped the boards and it looks like I can fit both the 4070 Ti and the 3080 in there now - just waiting on a new PSU.

Bonus, they were both running on PCIe 3 x16 before, but will now be PCIe 4 x8 - so there shouldn't really be any more bottlenecking than before, unless the CPU running two cards has an impact.

Will post an updated pic when the build is complete.

Second bonus, I managed to figure out how to turn the LED controller back on so its now glowing a nice be quiet orange, which always perfectly matched the colour of old electric bar heaters.  So it looks the part too.

Downside, all the good WUs seemed to have dried up already so the 4090 is barely pushing more PPD than the 4070 Ti.  I blame:
https://pbs-prod.linustechtips.com/monthly_2023_10/image.png.6a458d125b29be64098166b71e5113d9.png

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 minutes ago, NTDaws said:

Good thing its snowing now cause i needed a space heater anyway.

Watch it be bright sunshine come 1st November!

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Watch it be bright sunshine come 1st November!

Gonna be snuggling with my GPU while sleeping

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.c658b3906f11ebd635a9c799e3fd0c03.jpeg

The geek himself.

Just now, NTDaws said:

Gonna be snuggling with my GPU while sleeping

Hide contents

image.thumb.jpeg.c658b3906f11ebd635a9c799e3fd0c03.jpeg

You wouldn't want to do that with a 4090 FE box, you could build a house out of those.

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

You wouldn't want to do that with a 4090 FE box, you could build a house out of those.

Its okay our bodies run off electricity pulses so if anything my mental GPU will just become faster.

The geek himself.

29 minutes ago, NTDaws said:

Its okay our bodies run off electricity pulses so if anything my mental GPU will just become faster.

As someone who has had multiple 240V shocks... I can simply say it doesn't help 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Im glad im doing some early folding to get my room temps figured out. so I can knock out those first 10 WU before we get going 

-- When you have more than what you need, build a bigger table, not a bigger fence --

Just over one week away!

ITNOS at the starting line with it's single 1070ti:

image.jpeg.7385a21dc09913ec7b3b24b4096ce20a.jpeg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 10/20/2023 at 10:10 PM, Lightwreather JfromN said:

So, fyi, the folding names you've entered into the sign-up form are not turning up anything on the EOC database, so I'd like for you to confirm that the folding name you've given is correct, or that you have not folded under that name as yet. Do note that folding names are case-sensitive.

@Induwara Matheesha, Folding name: Induwara_MN 

@My_Computer_Is_Trash, Folding name: My_Computer_Is_Trash

@Braindead Jimmy, Folding name: BraindeadJimmy

Again, @Induwara Matheesha, @My_Computer_Is_Trash, @Braindead Jimmy. Can you confirm if you've not folded yet or if the given name is correct. And again, It is case-sensitive

Also, @NTDaws, can you confirm if "NTDaws" is correct or if you haven't folded yet.

Furthermore, if anyone has signed up with the Forum name "syfulus" can you provide a valid forum name, and a valid folding name as well.

Thanks again, and Happy folding!

image.png.20e52f94606382c1c465e5573973af6a.png

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

28 minutes ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

Again, @Induwara Matheesha, @My_Computer_Is_Trash, @Braindead Jimmy. Can you confirm if you've not folded yet or if the given name is correct. And again, It is case-sensitive

Also, @NTDaws, can you confirm if "NTDaws" is correct or if you haven't folded yet.

Furthermore, if anyone has signed up with the Forum name "syfulus" can you provide a valid forum name, and a valid folding name as well.

Thanks again, and Happy folding!

image.png.20e52f94606382c1c465e5573973af6a.png

Its correct

Edit: forgot to change the team number oop

The geek himself.

2 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

As someone who has had multiple 240V shocks... I can simply say it doesn't help 

I once picked up an operating PSU in an old AT PC, not realising it had holes cut out of the bottom to slot into the case with no insulating layer protecting the PCB.  That was, shall we say, interesting.

My entire left arm went numb for hours, lucky it only completed the circuit in my left hand not across my chest.  In hindsight, I probably should have gotten an ECG anyway.

It does clear the fibro-fog though. 😛

9 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Downside, all the good WUs seemed to have dried up already so the 4090 is barely pushing more PPD than the 4070 Ti.  I blame:

Unfortunately it's been like this for a long time, until there are a larger quantity of large Wu's or the ability to run multiple Wu's on one gpu, I wouldn't buy anything more powerful than a 4070ti.

I wish NVIDIA grid was compatible with gaming GPUs, I would love to see if multiple vm's could run Wu's on a single card. I managed to get my 4090 working on the host machine and a VM at the same time using Hyper-V, the 4090 could be seen by both machines in device manager, but fah was having none of it on the VM side, but the VM could use the card for games.

37 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

Unfortunately it's been like this for a long time, until there are a larger quantity of large Wu's or the ability to run multiple Wu's on one gpu, I wouldn't buy anything more powerful than a 4070ti.

Not quite, the problem earlier is the WUs were scoring the same as the 4070 Ti.  Not long after I posted things returned to normal, was just a short drought of complex WUs I presume. (not that credit is a good indication of how complex the WU is)

Now I'm getting:

image.thumb.png.bc463dde9442e3a43cc7d952b7074ab7.png

That's not bad when you consider on these WUs the power consumption reported by nvidia-smi is:

4090 = 314W

3080 = 315W

4070 Ti = 220W

Its actually quite curious how the 3080 is pushing up close to its power limit when the others are not.  I wouldn't expect any of them to, given theres a lot of silicon not in use when folding. 

No wonder the 3080 is prone to high transients spikes if the CUDA cores alone can starve the rest of the chip for power.