This is the worst monitor ever, and that’s the point - Dasung PaperlikeU E-ink Display

AdamFromLTT

While we love looking at cool gaming monitors with features like MiniLED and QD-OLEDs, Dasung is coming to us today with something out of left field, an E-INK display. That’s right the same tech that graces the Amazon Kindle is in a monitor now. But is that as bad of an idea as it sounds?

Yay they’re back! I didn’t see this in the Releases section so here it is!

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Well we still have issues in making sure the forum link is published with the video 🙃  @AdamFromLTT

But really great to have you back, nice opening.  And maybe it's all in my head, but this really does seem more polished.
Nice to see the solid citations, 20/20/20 rule and a proper ending!

The burn-in every time scrolling while browsing though, is really noticeable

Probably useful for someone who likes to read a lot, but don't wanna do it on Kindle

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

Everyone who starts to write a fanfic but ultimately abandons the project because of self esteem issues should totally get one of these!

For real tho, for text processing this thing would be a life saver. If they could refine it a bit more like a Kindle I could see it becoming commonplace in offices and such.

39 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

Probably useful for someone who likes to read a lot, but don't wanna do it on Kindle

Kinda wrong to call it burn-in when its just slow pixel refresh time and only doing partial-refreshes for speed. (you have to change a pixel completely blank then to what you want to avoid ghost images, which takes a long time)

I agree its of limited use as a normal monitor though, its more a digital signage type of display where you want low power and do not often change the image.

The eye health argument is pure BS though, given you need the front light on for decent contrast.

Also e-ink does use a decent amount of power every time it refreshes, its main benefit is in NOT refreshing the page very often.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Kinda wrong to call it burn-in when its just slow pixel refresh time

Thanks for the feedback

I may have watched too much OLED/LED review, that "burn-in" phrase is probably an earworm in my mind

The cost though, for USD1848 which cost more than RTX 4090, is a really hard pill to swallow

I would absolutely love to roast the setup for Desktop PC with RTX 4090 and this "Dasung" monitor for gaming at superb 15 FPS (assuming it would do at rated 15Hz refresh rate)

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

If I were a writer of some kind, I'd be very tempted by this. But it would have to have it in a dedicated writing space, separate from my normal desk.

But, given the price and hassle for two work spaces, if I really needed clear text I might just get a very high DPI monitor like the Apple Studio Display, Dell's 6k monitor, or the Samsung ViewFinity S9. The pixel density on any of those where probably make text look quite good.

X for doubt.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

6 hours ago, ImWilly said:

Somebody doesn't remember passive matrix color LCDs. 😛 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Not nearly as bad tbh. If E-Ink could reach that level of performance it would be far more useful. The E-Ink display in this video had semi-permanent ghosting that had to be manually refreshed by blanking the entire screen, compared to the brief ghosting during movement on a passive matrix.

I don't know who would buy this monitor at that price.  It's only useful as a secondary monitor for specific tasks.

I prefer E-ink when I'm reading for more than about 2 hours, for some reason that's my limit reading a book on a back lit display of a tablet or a PC monitor.  Not a problem with any other activity on a tablet or computer, only reading a book do I get eye strain.  Only thing that I can think of that is different about reading a book is when it really draws you in you end up focused closely on the words on the page for hours at a time, that is different than other tasks we do on screens.

Do writers stare as intently at the text while writing as people do while reading?  I would think while writing you would stop to think every few minutes or at least a few times an hour.

OhHiMark.gif 

Maybe mods can merge? 

Well we still have issues in making sure the forum link is published with the video 🙃

But really great to have you back, nice opening.  And maybe it's all in my head (I’m sure this was shot/99% edited ages ago) but this really does seem more polished.

Nice to see the solid citations, 20/20/20 rule and a proper ending!

I want to buy one to make a digital calendar but it costs as much as miniLED monitors.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

X for doubt was. I doubted correctly.

So. One of the no-no firing up the community was a "not review" of a prototype. Which was a expensive prototype of a mature product made by a startup. Bashed as crap.

Current release is about... a product, an immature product for the mainstream market. Made by a long player of the market, which costs a bazilion of queens. Still bashed as crap. Sort of.

The underlying innunendo I find is that 

both costs a lot (eInk monitor starts from 2x to 2.5x than the waterblock) 

both could both easily marked from starters as crap without testing

both are not really a product, even if one is (I mean... eInk Monitor have totally no alternatives, currently, while waterblock has... unless currently no one does like that)

and the underlying innuendo for me... is for LMG to prove a point: Mr Sebastian did not step back at all from the Billet labs mistake, but double down with this eInk monitor.

The most dissatisfying flavour in my mouth is that... this immature product deserved more attention and respect than the waterblock from Billet Labs. Maybe Dasung is such a bigger company than a startup?

I will not ever have proof of why.

Eventually... this is all my personal point of view and I'm allucinating seeing this. Currently I don't feel like that... 

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

Never thought we'd have a video where Linus says CLEAR several times but here we are.

For word processing it looks good, until the price anyway.

This video just made me wish that Qualcomm hadn't given up on IMOD / Mirasol display technology. Considering that they apparently had problems making the panels for the ereader market I'm not sure that they would have been able to make a screen large enough for a monitor but the refresh rate is much much better since it doesn't use polarized pigment moving around like e-ink does. (See "KEY FEATURES OF IMOD" section in this paper)

46 minutes ago, mMontana said:

innuendo

You don't seem to be using the word correctly.

45 minutes ago, mMontana said:

allucinating

Yes.

45 minutes ago, mMontana said:

A nicely made piece of metal vs a literal eink screen. Do you even know the prices of eink in general as well as the amount of work engineering a display driver that can handle eink? This is a one of a kind product, where as billet labs waterblock was, to be reductive,  a slightly tweaked hunk of metal.

Just now, WolframaticAlpha said:

Yes.

... thanks (sort of?)

10 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

The original PSP wasn't quite this bad, but I did lose interest in it as games like Ridge Racer were borderline unplayable as every turn was a brown smeary mess.  I find it bizarre people raved about it so much as I found it ruined the otherwise excellent hardware.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

"Fast+++"

Intel would like to have a word with you about how many plusses are acceptable.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

1 hour ago, mMontana said:

X for doubt was. I doubted correctly.

So. One of the no-no firing up the community was a "not review" of a prototype. Which was a expensive prototype of a mature product made by a startup. Bashed as crap.

Current release is about... a product, an immature product for the mainstream market. Made by a long player of the market, which costs a bazilion of queens. Still bashed as crap. Sort of.

The underlying innunendo I find is that 

both could both easily marked from starters as crap without testing

both are not really a product, even if one is (I mean... eInk Monitor have totally no alternatives, currently, while waterblock has... unless currently no one does like that)

and the underlying innuendo for me... is for LMG to prove a point: Mr Sebastian did not step back at all from the Billet labs mistake, but double down with this eInk monitor.

The most dissatisfying flavour in my mouth is that... this immature product deserved more attention and respect than the waterblock from Billet Labs. Maybe Dasung is such a bigger company than a startup?

I will not ever have proof of why.

Eventually... this is all my personal point of view and I'm allucinating seeing this. Currently I don't feel like that... 

If you stretch just a little bit further you may reach those straws you are clutching at.

I think the editing was a little much in the intro, otherwise pretty solid, I like the addition of citations and source links

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*