What do we do now?

LinusTech

To be honest unreliable is an imprecise word for a problem.

And if sick days are a substitute for a cause, then thats a self-maintaining situation which is no good for everyone. A good boss should not start a conversation with a threat like 'you call in sick too often', but also ask if there is anything they can help with. There could be a considerable bump to cross, but that does not mean things cannot be resolved.

====

TBH, I view GN's comments are valid, but some things I could not fully agree with.

I think the overall hardware testing comments could be summarized to 1 area: qualification of test data. How to check a cooler is fitted properly. How to check if graphics quality settings are applied in game. How to check if the correct numbers are published in a chart etc.

I hope they can reserve the time to improve their processes/automations on that. Benchmarking should not be about getting the same number every run, and only retesting the outliers. It should be able about repeatable test conditions.

In a vacuum, card A being 300% faster than card B could be just what it is. But if you know that the cards hardware should allow only e.g. 40% faster (which you can't know if its a new architecture), and the videogame is not overallocating VRAM, or the card is throttling, etc. you come to a point where that data needs to be looked at. GN has this data so they are right in pointing out those outliers, but I think doing it only on data is not the way to go.  It sets you up for a survivorship or selection bias. It should be about recreating the same test conditions and asserting that these have been met.

This extends to how same-spec parts also can have significant variation. Der8auer did a recent vid on that testing 13 Ryzen 7600s. There was quite a considerable variation. Parallelizing tests on multiple same-spec test benches could be another fault But the opposite is also true: minimizing the margin of error to inifinitesmall (by averaging multiple runs) with a hardware samplepool size of N=1 , is impossible. Averaging out run-to-run data can be like polishing poo, if that is cover up an unknown interferer without first asserting if the statistical expected value of that interferer is zero. Still this is common practice because, well, why exactly?

At this point, I think that benchmarking hardware as an user at "the best" accuracy to be a fallacy, because I don't think anyone will have the resources to test a large population of parts in extremely controlled conditions before a release, unless you're the manufacturer of said hardware.

9 minutes ago, MithrandirGrey said:

Oh, I’m fairly sure he thought about that and knew exactly what the response would be.

I'm trying to look at this with faith in humanity but yeah you're probably right about that.

Trigkey S5 Mini PC with Ryzen 7 5800H, 32GB RAM @ 3200Mhz, and Crucial P3 NVME SSD. Peripherals: Monitor - LG 24MP56 Keyboard - Razer Ornata V3 Mouse - SteelSeries Aerox 3(2022)

58 minutes ago, limewire said:

Just because there are worse, unrelated, things happening in the world does not devalue the weight or significance of another set of problems suffered by somebody else. If your reality is so bleak that you can't cope with SEVEN WHOLE DAYS deprived of your favorite internet personality maybe you should look towards yourself and evaluate how mundane your life is.

If you think a site that provides video's for literally millions of people should shut down cause some disgruntled worker got her poor feelings hurt, maybe YOU should re-evaluate your sense of entitlement. "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".   I'm all for improvements in life, but go be a warrior for rights somewhere else and leave the millions of us who dont a flying #$%^ alone and let us get on with our daily lives. 

NONE of the issues raised warrant LTT shutting down.   They can just say "hey...some mistakes were pointed out...we are gonna work on em...thanks for the feedback".   If snowflakes like you dont like it, stop watching...your freedom. But leave the rest of us out of it.  

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I think anyone that doesn't use their yearly allotment of sick days is a fool. They're there to use, it's basically giving up free money. Everyone needs a little more of a break now and then. I used 3 of my sick days to extend my weekend and take a short week long vacation. Fully endorsed by HR at the company I worked for.

Yeah, but that only works at the end of the year (if your days expire)

Taking sick days for mental health (vacation) defeats the intended INSURANCE of being able to take time off for actual sickness.

If you sick days don't expire, you can save them up until you retire (money in the bank)

Say you have three weeks of six leave and you actually have a heart attack, or get hit by a car and break your hip.

THAT is what the INSURANCE value of sick days is intended to provide.  If you use them up every six months for VACATION....well, I just hope you never get sick or injured.

But of course....you would still want to keep your position anyway right?

Personal responsibility instead of being entitled.

This community sucks. Maybe the forum should be renamed GamersNexus.

Beyond disappointed at the reaction of LMG so far, slamming the brakes on production was a poor choice, the lack of Floatplane content even worse, and the cancelling of WAN show even worse still.

All because a drama-driven youtube channel took a pop at you? Grow the F*** up and move on, stop wallowing.

Anyone that believes Steve @ Gamers Nexus at face value is also a fool.

I'm done with this forum - toxic, childish, sycophants everywhere. 

this's ridiculous, you people are toxic and unloyal, you enjoy attacking other people, your negative takes started before you even saw the video

I'm glad I'm not one of the LLT team, otherwise I would be so disappointed by this community

27 minutes ago, Jazmodo said:

Beyond disappointed at the reaction of LMG so far, slamming the brakes on production was a poor choice, the lack of Floatplane content even worse, and the cancelling of WAN show even worse still.

All because a drama-driven youtube channel took a pop at you? Grow the F*** up and move on, stop wallowing.

Maybe provide some evidence as to why we're not justified in this.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

27 minutes ago, Jazmodo said:

100%

4 minutes ago, Bassem said:

this's ridiculous, you people are toxic and unloyal, you enjoy attacking other people, your negative takes started before you even saw the video

I'm glad I'm not one of the LLT team, otherwise I would be so disappointed by this community

Are you kidding?! I'm a very passionate LTT fan.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

Just now, GoStormPlaysYT said:

Maybe provide some evidence as to why we're not justified in this.

You are justified in running your mouth, but LTT slamming production to a halt is beyond stupid. The vocal minority once again craps on the silent majority who don't give a crap about half these things and just want to stay away from the drama. 

It does look like LMG is working on fixing some stuff with their channels. The WAN Show playlist on YouTube hadn't been updated since May until Wednesday. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8mG-RkN2uTw7PhlnAr4pZZz2QubIbujH

1 minute ago, nv40 said:

You are justified in running your mouth, but LTT slamming production to a halt is beyond stupid. The vocal minority once again craps on the silent majority who don't give a crap about half these things and just want to stay away from the drama. 

In this video multiple staff members said that they'd like some time to sit and reflect on past videos. This whole debacle just gave them a chance to do that.

2 minutes ago, GoStormPlaysYT said:

In this video multiple staff members said that they'd like some time to sit and reflect on past videos. This whole debacle just gave them a chance to do that.

Great....make changes and improvements. But shutting down production for a week and killing the WAN show is overkill. You wanna slow down and make less video's with better quality...great....again....no need to shut down.  

And they are NOT shutting down because of this. It is a direct reaction to the toxic community that came out with pitchforks over issues that don't affect them in any way, at least MOST of the issues. The only ones I even remotely care about is correcting the numbers in testing/charts.   

11 hours ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

This was a good response, to me it looks clear the CEO had an hand in this. It owned lots of the documented allegation leveled at LTT, showed that there are adults in the room capable of implementing corrective actions, announced a plan to respond and immediately implemented emergency measures like stopping releases to reassess the pipelines.

Those matters have to be treated carefully, it's way too early to pass judgment. You can't believe either side without an investigation, since those are serious allegations. All functional judicial systems work on the assumption "innocent until proven guilty". You don't want to fire people without proof, so many times people were fired only to discover allegations didn't warrant the person being fired.

The CEO announced the correct step of hiring a third party investigation to assess the facts. When the facts are known, then corrective action is to be taken.

Just a note: A lot of fraudsters pull out the charity card to paint over their scheme. Just look at the $aveTheKids scheme. There are countless examples of using charities to justify immoral schemes.

I'm not insinuating that Linus pulled a fraud with billet, I believe it was simple incompetence. I declare that saying "It was for charity!" makes things worse, not better, because you are staining the reputation of whatever charity took that money.

I agree on tread carefully both sides in the past have abused their position and power to hurt other side using people to sway one way all the other.

ltt would have all the records CCTV logs with all the storage on hand everthing thing should be recorded and should be paper trail as well. one way or the other. I already was going one rip someone head off for some sexiest stuff said in the madison thread 

----------------------------

3 minutes ago, nv40 said:

Great....make changes and improvements. But shutting down production for a week and killing the WAN show is overkill. You wanna slow down and make less video's with better quality...great....again....no need to shut down.  

And they are NOT shutting down because of this. It is a direct reaction to the toxic community that came out with pitchforks over issues that don't affect them in any way, at least MOST of the issues. The only ones I even remotely care about is correcting the numbers in testing/charts.   

No they are shutting down for because they have production line and if they too busy making video they can not look into it fully

like running a boot time scan to find hidden stuff

Edited by NadiaMayer
edit so no double posting

Polygons? textures?  samples? You want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough Vram.
Hey heads up I  have writing disorder I try my best but still make errors. 

Cancel Culture in full affect. Congrats people. You did it! Hope you're all happy

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

11 minutes ago, nv40 said:

The vocal minority once again craps on the silent majority who don't give a crap about half these things and just want to stay away from the drama.

There are many instances, when silence is golden. This is not one of them. 

4 minutes ago, nv40 said:

How is it overkill? To fully address these issues, you need everyone available to make it more efficent.

2 minutes ago, weez said:

Cancel Culture in full affect. Congrats people. You did it! Hope you're all happy

I am. It's good to see that LMG is taking the time to correc their issues.

27 minutes ago, Bassem said:

oh my god do you even watch LTT eveytime Linus on the wan show talks about loyalty he always says "corporation are not friends" 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Shit's On Fire, Yo | Know Your Meme

Edited by NadiaMayer
meme added

Polygons? textures?  samples? You want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough Vram.
Hey heads up I  have writing disorder I try my best but still make errors. 

15 hours ago, trustmebro16 said:

coltons email confirms an email was sent

the fact it wasnt received was due to admin error. but offer was sent

so there was no lie

The fact there is now so much confused and misinformed information being spread around now shows how Steve delivering this scandal about linus so publically, was completely the wrong move, regardless of intentions, regardless of the fact that he was right

more damage is being done than is deserved

it couldve been an email

If you don't send it to whoever has to recieve it, you are not sending anything.

36 minutes ago, GoStormPlaysYT said:

Are you kidding?! I'm a very passionate LTT fan.

me too (and you don't have to be a fan,I just wish people were more reasonable), I'm not talking about you, go read the first few pages, it's disgusting

every one wants to judge LMG, without trying to understand what happened (which doesn't deserve this outrage), and they feel good about themself 

28 minutes ago, weez said:

But is this truly the end of LMG? I do not believe so.

20 minutes ago, NadiaMayer said:

oh my god do you even watch LTT eveytime Linus on the wan show talks about loyalty he always says "corporation are not friends" 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Shit's On Fire, Yo | Know Your Meme

Don't be a fan, doesn't mean it's ok to attack them for fun, go read the first few pages it's disgusting

you know this is all a load of crap, NO-ONE in the thread actualy know anything at all about what is really going on. NO-ONE from any other channel knows the full story. and NO-ONE is going to end up happyer after this all ends.

Does LMG have problems with in thier company? OF COURSE THEY DO every company has it's issuses there is not one single company that is perfect and anyone who thinks other wise is just plain STUPID. and TBH i think this has been blown up way to big because alot of people who only have half the information see an opportunity to either make trouble or make money off of all this when most of this is NONE OF THIER BUSINESS.

did linus make a mistake when he posted his reply? probaly but who wouldnt write something with emotion when his lifes work is being ridiculed and people are trying to destroy it.

now alot of people are going to say i'm a fan boy making excuses for them or other such crap and you know i dont really care what the trolls on here have to say about me because it just goes to prove the point haters are going to hate. and for the Record i have alot of issuses with the graphs and charts that are used to show "performance" but as they are the same ones i have with EVERY channel that does the type of reviews this channel does. as an example FPS is NOT a good messure of CPU performance these days especaily when a GPU is plugged into a system and theres such a thing as resizable bar. but EVERY channel uses it not just this one. do i think they need to explain more about benchmarks and graphs and such? of course i do which is why i loved the vidio that LMG did some time ago where they talked about the new software they are making and how it works. tell me any other channel that has done anything like that. as channels and reviewers go LMG is one of the best it's why they are so big.

as for all the alagations of sexual misconduct. i have no idea what went on and neither does anyone else in this thread because WE WHERE NOT THERE and only have disjointed comments from a few people here and there. and yet alot of people are saying the whole place is full of misogynistic scum of the earth and the whole place should be burned to the ground for it. IT MAKES ME SICK!! if something did happen then it should be dealt with of course but bashing everyone and making thier lives hell is NOT going to do anyone any good.

as for the monoblock it appear that was a genuine error that was fixed even before the whole "SCANDAL" broke