What do we do now?

LinusTech

This was a good response, to me it looks clear the CEO had an hand in this. It owned lots of the documented allegation leveled at LTT, showed that there are adults in the room capable of implementing corrective actions, announced a plan to respond and immediately implemented emergency measures like stopping releases to reassess the pipelines.

1 hour ago, NadiaMayer said:

As I said mostly incompetent not malice that caused ton of this stuff how ever somebody did something wrong on terms with madison.

Those matters have to be treated carefully, it's way too early to pass judgment. You can't believe either side without an investigation, since those are serious allegations. All functional judicial systems work on the assumption "innocent until proven guilty". You don't want to fire people without proof, so many times people were fired only to discover allegations didn't warrant the person being fired.

The CEO announced the correct step of hiring a third party investigation to assess the facts. When the facts are known, then corrective action is to be taken.

11 hours ago, Ethnod said:

My conclusion is that Gamers Nexus is mostly correct (except for the auctioning off thing, they know what Linus meant, it was not sold for profit but auctioned odd for charity, and it's a fair distinction to want to make, Steve should have been a bit more understanding there)

Just a note: A lot of fraudsters pull out the charity card to paint over their scheme. Just look at the $aveTheKids scheme. There are countless examples of using charities to justify immoral schemes.

I'm not insinuating that Linus pulled a fraud with billet, I believe it was simple incompetence. I declare that saying "It was for charity!" makes things worse, not better, because you are staining the reputation of whatever charity took that money.

1 hour ago, Godiwa said:

If you screw up "in real life" (since not many of us have huge YT empires) it is usually your best friend (or atleast a very good friend) that comes to you and tell you that you screwed up.

If you don't listen and ignore the warning from your best friend and go on unhinged, who makes the intervention? Yes usually your friend(s)... Do you want real life examples or do you know what I mean when I say intervention?

LMG/Linus have been warned for YEARS and have brushed it off on WAN show multiple times... At some point the camels back breaks... The "you have screwed up" have been there multiple times... This was the Intervention.

Yes it hurts... Yes it will get better. Don't blame your friend when you were the one that screwed up and your friend snapped you out of it.

I mean, sure but my friends don't put me on blast in front of everyone when we're out for a series of shitty mistakes I've made (relationships or financial for example), they pull me to one side, give me the talking to I need and threaten to do more. That threat is enough to get me to sort my stuff out. In this case, the Billet Labs could have been sorted with a simple email from GN. The accuracy issues? Steve could have warned them about them and that they'll get picked apart publicly at some point. Then after 2 weeks if it's not sorted, put his video up. Hell, he could have held them over a barrel and said something along the lines of 'You need to sort them out or put a statement up within 2 weeks otherwise I'm going to publicly comment about them'. If they say 'we'll get right on that' and they don't? Even more fuel for the fire.

And where's his response to the official response? He's picked them apart so much at this point, picking apart their corporate response with what he likes and doesn't would probably be the right way to go considering his other two videos.

TLDR: I disagree with the way GN posted and handled the video, not the majority of points. And I dislike GN making such a large hullabaloo out of it and then going what seems to be cold turkey

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Elite B550 V2 | RAM: 2x16GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X Trio | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Case: Fractal North Charcoal (Tempered Glass Side Panel) | Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 | M.2: ADATA SX6000 1TB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Samsung LS34 Ultrawide 

5 minutes ago, Guy Games said:

I mean, sure but my friends don't put me on blast in front of everyone when we're out for a series of shitty mistakes I've made (relationships or financial for example), they pull me to one side, give me the talking to I need and threaten to do more. That threat is enough to get me to sort my stuff out. In this case, the Billet Labs could have been sorted with a simple email from GN. The accuracy issues? Steve could have warned them about them and that they'll get picked apart publicly at some point. Then after 2 weeks if it's not sorted, put his video up. Hell, he could have held them over a barrel and said something along the lines of 'You need to sort them out or put a statement up within 2 weeks otherwise I'm going to publicly comment about them'. If they say 'we'll get right on that' and they don't? Even more fuel for the fire.

And where's his response to the official response? He's picked them apart so much at this point, picking apart their corporate response with what he likes and doesn't would probably be the right way to go considering his other two videos.

TLDR: I disagree with the way GN posted and handled the video, not the majority of points. And I dislike GN making such a large hullabaloo out of it and then going what seems to be cold turkey

that was the first "action" your friends would do... and if you don't listen when you are taken aside and told... then they do an intervention (as I also wrote)

THIS was the intervention...

Did it rip off the bandaid off in one fell swoop? Oh yeah it did... But it needed to be done... Now lets hope it leads to a much better LMG in the future...

11 hours ago, yoc said:

I don't know what you define as fine but she is pushing for change internally according to her tweet.

Don't see that this has been posted to clarify what Emily meant.

image.png

Edited by Naith123
Removed duplicate tweet image

2 hours ago, Godiwa said:

If you screw up "in real life" (since not many of us have huge YT empires) it is usually your best friend (or atleast a very good friend) that comes to you and tell you that you screwed up.

If you don't listen and ignore the warning from your best friend and go on unhinged, who makes the intervention? Yes usually your friend(s)... Do you want real life examples or do you know what I mean when I say intervention?

LMG/Linus have been warned for YEARS and have brushed it off on WAN show multiple times... At some point the camels back breaks... The "you have screwed up" have been there multiple times... This was the Intervention.

Yes it hurts... Yes it will get better. Don't blame your friend when you were the one that screwed up and your friend snapped you out of it.

Are you aware that we're talking 7-9 figure businesses here? And that this is an actual thing to consider? And that there is an actual competition going on on Youtube? Beating the algorithm is everything. The whole "GN and LTT are bros" is just bullshit. It's about views and being present in the timeline.

The picture you're painting is... naive. At best. This might be true with some buddies doing buddy stuff, but this is Youtube. Steve knew the shitstorm he would start, and no one can tell me he did not factor that in. Come on.

I do understand that everybody feels like Linus and the Steves are "part of the community" and we're all a big family and stuff. But the reality is, they're corps; we're their audience, and they will do EVERYTHING to please their audience. That's what they make a very nice living of. Don't give me that friends-intervention-bullshit.

Of course, there would have been other/different/better ways to resolve this if BOTH wanted to resolve this in a better way. Steve could have just let got of it. No one asked him to be the street-judge-of-tech, that's a hat he chose to wear all by himself. Because it pleases his audience. Because his audience trusts this bro. Because he's alright. He has long hair and a weird way of speaking. Like Linus.

Face it, dude, this is ALL about business. And there is no bad place in the timeline if you're in the timeline. Drama sells and this is the perfect summer drama.

4 minutes ago, Godiwa said:

that was the first "action" your friends would do... and if you don't listen when you are taken aside and told... then they do an intervention (as I also wrote)

THIS was the intervention...

Did it rip off the bandaid off in one fell swoop? Oh yeah it did... But it needed to be done... Now lets hope it leads to a much better LMG in the future...

No, they take me aside, then if needed, take me aside again and threaten intervention. Then if all else has failed they intervene. I don't believe that GN took them aside and spoke to them first which could, potentially have stopped this and sorted it before I blew up.

If it had failed and LMG had ignored GN then sure, it's time for intervention but it just feels as though GN skipped a few escalation steps.

Either way, the points made were valid. I'm going to leave it here, I feel neither of us are going to agree.

N.b. I too hope it leads to a better LMG, I just think it could have been done in a different, maybe better way.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Elite B550 V2 | RAM: 2x16GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X Trio | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Case: Fractal North Charcoal (Tempered Glass Side Panel) | Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 | M.2: ADATA SX6000 1TB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Samsung LS34 Ultrawide 

1 minute ago, Guy Games said:

No, they take me aside, then if needed, take me aside again and threaten intervention. Then if all else has failed they intervene. I don't believe that GN took them aside and spoke to them first which could, potentially have stopped this and sorted it before I blew up.

If it had failed and LMG had ignored GN then sure, it's time for intervention but it just feels as though GN skipped a few escalation steps.

Either way, the points made were valid. I'm going to leave it here, I feel neither of us are going to agree.

N.b. I too hope it leads to a better LMG, I just think it could have been done in a different, maybe better way.

as I said, they have brushed away the warnings for years... not just from GN... but their community... and when all you get is "trust me bro" then it's time to react... it should have happened over a year ago if you ask me... but noone really dare because they are so big and if they get a brain melt down they could crush you completely...

I am glad it is now being taken care of... I loved watching LTT and have been along since the house which was awesome... it lost a bit of it's soul but that's how it is when you grow big, times change... but it should never change to being false information (and I don't care if the false info is due to constant mistakes, neglect or whatever) it just needs to be fixed... It will be now

Hopefully it will also create a better climate for the employees where they can love what they do, finish what they do, feel proud of what they deliver instead of rush rush rush...

Dear Linus, the way you demystify complex concepts, provide honest product reviews, and share your experiences with various tech products has been invaluable to me and countless others. Your willingness to push the boundaries and take risks in your content showcases your passion for innovation and your commitment to keeping your audience informed and engaged.

Thanks for everything, support to the end 🙂

I still don't get what people are mad about anymore, even after the apology video. Seriously, are you guys furious about the video being monetized, LTTStore plug, screwdriver ....and reading from the TELEPROMPTER ?!?!

The inaccuracies in the recent videos, while disappointing, was not the end of the world, to deserve the backlash it did receive. GN was right covering it and people should have been mad, but the mob was a lil out of control, judging by numerous posts and even reddit threads.

The two actual major issues were the Billet Labs incident and Madison's account. To me, as a follower of LMG and Linus for more than 10 years, and as the person who worked in a company with too many communication issues faced during scale-up, it was very obvious to me that it was not malice and was just some extraordinary communication breakdown. But judging by some comments, they basically accused Linus to be a thief who stole intellectual property for profit, or at least so you would think based on GN and some of the comments from the community. He had all the right in the world to be a little bit salty and disappointed. Heck, I would. Do not attribute malice to what could easily be explained as incompetence.

Madison was another one, but we only know one side of the story, so there is a possibility that it could be a disgruntled employee exaggerating claims. However, LMG has obviously, and rightly, decided to investigate the claims with a third party. This is absolutely the correct way of proceeding ahead and people should really shut up about it until we get the findings. 

The above two issues are purely caused due to massive scale-up in employees in such a short time. You cannot run a large corporation like a startup. And this point I'm sure Linus wasn't aware of 90% of the stuff that happens like the communication breakdown about the Billet labs prototype, or sexual harassment caused by one or a few of the 90-100+ employees. It is bound to happen, and there is no way around it. Linus just learned the hard way why large companies have a dedicated HR team, PR team, etc. And it should also be a lesson to everyone in the community as well when you guys later inevitably complain about PR-like statements from LMG henceforth.

And the teleprompter and jokes thing. This is the most ridiculous one. The video was made before Madison's allegations and until then the issues LMG were accused of were not extraordinarily scandalous or earth-shattering. So the community's reaction and distaste towards jokes are very confusing to me because you all make it seem like LMG was intentionally involved in some major scandal. When it comes to the teleprompter, anyone with any experience speaking in front of the camera will assure you, that you definitely need a teleprompter, especially for a video like this. You cannot speak on such a contentious topic without carefully choosing words and given the lack of on-camera experience for many of the people in the video, it is needed for the faster production of the video. It's 99% likely that they themselves wrote their bit with and actually carried full meaning behind their words. Again the community backlash is extremely insensitive and downright naive. Makes me really think that all those people are a bunch of 12-year-olds with zero life experience wanting to do something 'cool' like joining a hate mob.

Anyways, I think we all should just go back to our lives and only comment on LMG and these topics further if any new information comes out. Apart from that, I think Linus and LMG has addressed all the concerns in some shape or form and some of you guys seriously need to put down your pitchforks and do something better

15 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

I still don't get what people are mad about anymore, even after the apology video. Seriously, are you guys furious about the video being monetized, LTTStore plug, screwdriver ....and reading from the TELEPROMPTER ?!?!

I think people were right to be upset about monetisation and the LTTstore and screwdriver plug. Sure it's part of their personality to make self-plugs as a joke, but they should've left it out for a serious apology video. As for monetisation however, I think that they have it set so that videos are monetised by default and they just forgot to turn it off for this one video.

I completely agree that getting mad that this video was scripted isn't warranted. It's an apology video, so it makes sense that they take what gets said in it seriously.

However, I would still like to hear their comment on employees not being allowed to discuss their wages, and their former employees' claims that they're getting poor wages.

3 hours ago, Godiwa said:

and how many videos have they done on other "ridiculously priced" stuff? it's pretty much what the channel live off of... "look at my 100.000 dollar whatever" or "I bought a 10.000 pencil" or whatever...

Did they ever tell you or advise you to buy that ridiculous stuff? Was it just a showcase or a proper review? Is it a feasible product? No, right? They never recommended folks buy ridiculous stuff and the Monoblock is just another ridiculous thing, that's it.

4 hours ago, DrHax34 said:

They used YouTube tools to do it

They have the replace feature in YouTube. Simply fix the frame and upload and replace the video.

How does LMG come out of this alive?

In my head, I keep running everything through my mind, and I don’t see any way that LMG comes out of this whole thing unscathed. I’m worried that this is the end of LMG as we know it.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

9 minutes ago, GoStormPlaysYT said:

Definitely scathed, but potentially stronger and better. For this to work, I believe that Linus needs to step down, take a break from everything, especially the bad stuff and negativity and come back with a clear head. No, that does not mean to run away and bury his head in the sand. After all, his name is all over the place. His personality and image is what made LTT possible alongside his friends, colleagues and family. The backlash is too strong and the hatred, towards him has reached it's peak (hopefully things will not get any worse that they already are). Those being said, I believe that there are people at LMG, both OG and new, that are more than capable to do the necessary assessment to move forward in the right direction. At least for a while, until Linus can come back anew. If he does decide to step down (because he understands what's at stake and the wrongdoings, not because he is forced by the dire situation).

14 minutes ago, GoStormPlaysYT said:

I’m worried that this is the end of LMG as we know it.

Honestly I sure hope so. What I mean, is the end of shortcomings and half baked stuff. As long as they will make a clear distinction between a serious product review, etc and the stuff made for entertainment, it will all be good, I think. Provided they will sort out the rest of the stuff. As ChrisFix would say: "Out with the old (and bad), in with the new (good and improved). "

18 minutes ago, Alex T88 said:

Out with the old (and bad), in with the new (good and improved). "

What “new thing” would there be? There’s no company like LMG.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

44 minutes ago, GoStormPlaysYT said:

In my head, I keep running everything through my mind, and I don’t see any way that LMG comes out of this whole thing unscathed. I’m worried that this is the end of LMG as we know it.

Can we safely assume that LTT is dead then? Can we at least return our LTT merch for a full refund? Including the northern lights desk mat?

9 hours ago, Berinejo said:

nope, they are halting all media production for the week/foreseeable future

9 hours ago, BadTatertot11147 said:

Wan show this week?

Was confirmed on discord by labs jake that yes, wan is still on. 

Just now, Woofer21 said:

Was confirmed on discord by jake labs that yes, wan is still on. 

At what time does the WAN go live today? Please tell me with any timezone so i can convert it to CEST myself , thanks

21 minutes ago, GoStormPlaysYT said:

What “new thing” would there be?

I did not write a "new thing". What I meant by "new", are the things that need to be addressed and changed, like work ethics, data collection, etc. All the problems shown in GN's video and the rest of the problems that they do have and were made known to the public, through other means.

9 minutes ago, BrucaWayna said:

At what time does the WAN go live today? Please tell me with any timezone so i can convert it to CEST myself , thanks

Should be on/around 5pm PST

1 hour ago, FluorescentGreen5 said:

I think people were right to be upset about monetisation and the LTTstore and screwdriver plug. Sure it's part of their personality to make self-plugs as a joke, but they should've left it out for a serious apology video. As for monetisation however, I think that they have it set so that videos are monetised by default and they just forgot to turn it off for this one video.

Ignoring the Madison incident - which came out after the video was made - were the other things really that serious and grave for one to be absolutely dead serious? I mean it's not like they were apologizing for murdering someone. There wasn't any party that was physically hurt. It was mostly their incompetence, and they were just staying on brand and trying to lighten the mood with the lttstore, screwdriver and sponsor segment.

I do not think it took anything away from the apology video, especially when all the senior management came in apologized and highlighted steps to rectify all of it.

1 hour ago, FluorescentGreen5 said:

However, I would still like to hear their comment on employees not being allowed to discuss their wages, and their former employees' claims that they're getting poor wages.

I don't think you can realistically enforce not discussing wages. Basically, all that clause disallows you to do is go to senior management and say "I want a raise because he/she gets this much" - which you can't really do in any private for-profit company tbh. If employees were getting poor wages, wouldn't we have seen a huge turnover rate at LMG? We don't and we constantly see so many faces sticking with LMG for non-insignificant amount of time

On 8/16/2023 at 7:42 PM, Distinctly Average said:

I was only commenting on the inclusion of humour in the apology video, nothing more. You seem to have missed that. I still feel that a little humour an apology is not taking anything away. Some seem fixated on that small thing, instead of concentrating on the actual issues. If people choose to be offended by tiny details like that, then they have their priorities wrong. I did "have" a valid point, it is just that in your opinion it was not valid. 

There were/are also posters in both threads who have obviously registered just to join the herd, and some of them focussed on the humour in the apology video. There were plenty of real things to focus on rather than that tiny detail. I chose not to focus on the rest as there are already so many doing that.

As for the humour, in other videos I do at times feel it a little cringe worthy, male dominated and puerile. There a lot of LTT followers in their formative years. It is blindingly obvious that there are lots who see Linus as a bit of a role model. I thinks at times Linus forgets that and oversteps the mark. When both Yvonne and Luke have "that" face it should surely be a sign to Linus that he is swaying to the wrong side of the line. Linus, and the team, should be setting an example IMHO.

That's your opinion.

But, generally, context is important, and a serious video shouldn't have space for dumb little jokes.

10 minutes ago, Woofer21 said:

Should be on/around 5pm PST

Thanks but jeez thats like 4AM here lmao, i will watch it tomorrow morning then, wan is gonna be juicy content