What do we do now?

LinusTech

Made previous responses here and here. I also replied on the FP post (but the formatting tools there still suck). I hope the feedback of a vessel-era supporter who has spent quite a bit of money on LMG, and watched every video for probably a decade+ merits someone on staff at least reading. That's all I ask.

Things the above don't address:

- it sounds like you ARE taking feedback after being smashed in the head with a baseball bat about it, and slowing down. This is my #1 ask, to take the time to make quality, correct content so I can trust information again and not just watch for entertainment. I hope that the time taken is put to good use. Full details linked above.

- Your "new info' about Billet thankfully doesn't change my comments at all

- The tweet(s) by Madison I just saw are pretty bad. I more or less believe innocent til proven guilty, but also don't require a court of law to arrive at my own evaluations of guilt. Most stuff like billet don't matter much, and need a pattern for me to take that and say "you suck, game over, goodbye". If the Madison stuff holds up (I've just once read a tweet at 5am), that's a bigger strike. Take the time, be careful, apologize as appropriate, and don't get into ugly public blame games. I watch you for tech videos. That's what I want to see. When it comes to "drama" all I want to see is "as little as possible" and "when you have an actionable item, you do the right thing and don't repeat mistakes". That's it. People have focused a lot on billet labs and similar small incidents. I care less about those things. I care the most about quality content I don't have to audit as I watch and can "just trust". That's not been a thing in a long time. Quality hasn't kept up with scope, and that's the biggest issue I have. It isn't enough to make me leave, as I haven't yet, and I didn't need a GN video to figure out you have these issues. But it was enough to make me unsub from Jay a long time ago. So I do hope it doesn't get to that point. Sounds like you're gonna make serious efforts to prevent that though, and I look forward to it.

- 6 nines is a crazy goal Luke, good luck (I'm an SRE, I know how hard that is. Even just "having a cloud provider" can auto nuke that SLO, a recent lambda outage did a number on me where we'd have failed that measure for sure)

- markbench open source (and testing methodology) will be great. I have professionally worked on these things when I was at Intel. I care enough to give feedback, and hope I get the chance to do so. I want my local tech media company to succeed. 

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Does LMG have an actual PR person? This is better than previous responses, but . . .

1. Linus should have been front and center, not buried 3/4ths of the way through the video.
  2. He should have provided an unqualified apology. Full stop. No clarifying or explaining what happened or why, and definitely no defending what happened.
  3. The video should not have had jokes. There's a time and a place, and this isn't it.

5 minutes ago, RockerBug17 said:

They're absolutely right. There is nothing they can do to appease the masses, because the masses don't want to be appeased. They want to assert dominance.

When you make something like this you put on the suit, comb the hair and ACT professional... no fabbing around making funnies etc. this is dead serious for their million dollar business...

10 minutes ago, DJ3thenew23 said:

This is what I took away as well, in addition to not redacting the cost like GN and Billet themselves did. I get the "community" aspect, but if Linus was real about no longer being emotional, he or they would have mentioned and apologized to GN directly as well. Clearly they're still mad about it, which is completely asinine.

It is kinda pathetic they didn't mention GN at all, even just a short mention with "thanks for pointing out that we have stuff to fix, thanks, we will get to work fixing it"... it didn't have to be a huge segment or anything... but doing a Winnie the Poo from China thing and being all PO about it and completely ignoring it is silly

9 minutes ago, nyanbinary said:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3pmtKoWcAAzxE9?format=jpg&name=large
Oh boy lol

Wow, Linus doubled down on the LTT Store ad, IMO having some humor in the video is a bad thing when it should be a serious video addressing how they can improve, and IMO they plug the LTT store too much in videos.

Also its not a good look with them monetizing the video and bragging they're essentially getting a free one out of monetizing it.

Just now, Baron_Samedi said:

Anyone who has created something and who has followed its growth can see themselves in Linus' situation. Our "baby" is the best in the world. This closeness clouds our perception of the world's opinion of our "baby." I believe that this video puts the team on the right track and I really want them to remain united. As in a marriage, the union is in health and in sickness. And this too shall pass. I am against cancel culture and believe that everyone can change if they want to. For me, here I will continue to wait for new and better videos. May the force be with you!

Huh?????

spacer.png

My god this forum should be locked for a week. So many new accounts fanning the fire. They made a video addressing the valid criticism that GN had and they apologized for the mistakes they have been making and they stated their plans moving forward. It was good. Now they have to show us that they can change and make things better. That takes time. Give it time people.

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

4 minutes ago, nyanbinary said:

Doing cringe humor is their brand identity, like DBrand's identity is being an asshole to people on the internet. LTT's corporate identity/personality is making jokes so ironically, even if the intention was to make the response less corporate, it just made it look more corporate.

It's a very fine line between being funny, and being an asshole

CPU: Intel Core i7 6790x | Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme X99 | Graphics Card: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Vengeance | | PSU: Cooler Master 1200W Platinum | Case: Lian Li Lancool 2 | Cooling: Corsair 360mmm AIO

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Wow, Linus doubled down on the LTT Store ad, IMO having some humor in the video is a bad thing when it should be a serious video addressing how they can improve, and IMO they plug the LTT store too much in videos.

Also its not a good look with them monetizing the video and bragging they're essentially getting a free one out of monetizing it.

how do you know this is Linus himself??? 

6 minutes ago, Woddell said:

I found it funny. If it wasn't there they would've been accused of being too corporate in their response. 

u took those words out of my mouth!

serious vid - meh theyre so serious. this is a corporate video not an actual apology
slightly funny video - why the fuck they throw a joke in an apology video? they clearly not sincere!!11!111

ffs haters gonna nitpick everything

10 minutes ago, Woddell said:

Really? GN skewed their narrative to paint LMG in the worst possible light and then accused Linus of gaslighting the audience. Steve knew what he was doing and doesn't deserve anything imo.

Lmao how was it skewed at all? Your hero Linus literally admitted to everything being fair criticisms, the only thing he didn't do was apologize to Steve because his ego is too hurt.

1 minute ago, schtormm said:

He signed the message: "LS" (Linus Sebastian)

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well, they have lost 5k floatplane subs so far, at the low end of 5 dollars a month, that's a potential 25k dollar loss, at the unrealistic high end (unrealistic to assume all 5k subs were a 50 dollar a year plan that will never resub) it would be a potential loss of 250k dollars

Makes their shameless LTT store plug make a little more sense lol

1 minute ago, schtormm said:

if its the official account -ls would be after it usually to show linus made the comment, from what I've seen

7 minutes ago, teewb said:

I had to register to say this.
Linus, please for the love of god stop joking about "XXX job is safe for another day" it might be a joke between you and Colton but there is a lot floating rumors around people at LMG being belittled and covertly and overtly threatening employees job. It creates a validation that its actually true and it lends truths about what Madison has experienced.

The leaders sets the standard of what the work culture should be.

Its good that you guys are trying to fix the production side of it but I do hope you address or at least reach out to Madison, cause that is one thing we as community have not seen being addressed.

its a running gag, that has existed for years already.

2 minutes ago, weez said:

My god this forum should be locked for a week. So many new accounts fanning the fire. They made a video addressing the valid criticism that GN had and they apologized for the mistakes they have been making and they stated their plans moving forward. It was good. Now they have to show us that they can change and make things better. That takes time. Give it time people.

Really, really? Alot of us, who just watch LTT on Youtube, have created accounts to make sure that our distain for this situation is seen on multiple facets.

Is that wrong? I am upset about the Billet Situation, and even more so about the lack of quality control at LTT, but the whole Madison situation is NOT OK and it is not being addressed. 

Just now, Berinejo said:

if its the official account -ls would be after it usually to show linus made the comment, from what I've seen

huh, TIL.

4 minutes ago, weez said:

Can't handle the criticism of your hero? Some of us have been long-time viewers and just don't interact with the forum. Maybe instead of trying to lock people out of the discussion you should realize LMG isn't invincible?

4 minutes ago, Godiwa said:

When you make something like this you put on the suit, comb the hair and ACT professional... no fabbing around making funnies etc. this is dead serious for their million dollar business...

It is kinda pathetic they didn't mention GN at all, even just a short mention with "thanks for pointing out that we have stuff to fix, thanks, we will get to work fixing it"... it didn't have to be a huge segment or anything... but doing a Winnie the Poo from China thing and being all PO about it and completely ignoring it is silly

They don't need to mention GN at all. GN isn't the topic. They don't need to apologize to GN, they don't need to give GN credit, they don't need to do anything for GN. 

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

4 minutes ago, weez said:

I mean, the video description said to discuss here... So, we're here...

spacer.png

Just now, jaymansley said:

To be fair, the line was pretty clear.

DON'T MAKE JOKES DURING A SERIOUS APOLOGY VIDEO

Exactly. Makes it seem as if they're not taking this serious enough. Which I don't think some are. And even if they are, it's really tone-deaf. Now is not the time to profit from of this. Didn't know it was monetized before, now it seems quite bad again

2 minutes ago, DJ3thenew23 said:

Lmao how was it skewed at all? Your hero Linus literally admitted to everything being fair criticisms, the only thing he didn't do was apologize to Steve because his ego is too hurt.

and why did he need to apologize to steve? it should be the other way around. this whole shitstorm wont happen if steve actually PICK UP A GOD DAMN PHONE AND ASK LINUS about their side of the story

2 minutes ago, jaymansley said:

To be fair, the line was pretty clear.

DON'T MAKE JOKES DURING A SERIOUS APOLOGY VIDEO

Some people are really incapable of "reading the room".

If everyone is being serious about a serious problem, you don't make dumb jokes.