What do we do now?

LinusTech
Just now, fartmuncher69_420 said:

I suspect it's that their internal upload process doesn't have a switch off monetization, because why would it. I don't think they log into YouTube to upload as they would have a tools for going into YouTube & floatplane.

Agreed, however if it was a true apology someone should manually turn it off. There is someone that likes comments, but I don't know if that person has access to the monetization tools on videos.

They're damned either way 🤷‍♂️

CPU: Intel Core i7 6790x | Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme X99 | Graphics Card: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Vengeance | | PSU: Cooler Master 1200W Platinum | Case: Lian Li Lancool 2 | Cooling: Corsair 360mmm AIO

Madison's situation is tricky. On the one hand if it is true I hope that she can provide more concrete evidence beside her own statements. On the other hand LMG is in a hard spot to defend themselves as it would be seen as silencing a victim.

For now I choose to believe her for entirely personal reasons, but I will wait until LMG hopefully responds to decide how to proceed with my support for the team.

6 minutes ago, Twisted_FIEND said:

I always fully trusted LMG blindly because I assumed that their integrity and community are at the top of their priority which leads to profitability, and this is what they always bragged about.. clearly it's not the case, and it is disappointing

I was hoping for a straight apology and admitting all the mistakes they made... but it was more like "Oh that happened because of this and that" and other excuses

also, they did not address the fact that they still sold.. sorry "auctioned" a one-of-a-kind prototype, it doesn't matter how much money they throw at Billet labs.. this was their one and only prototype that they poured their life into which could've gone to a potential competitor and set their work back significantly and they have not apologized for it

they have not apologized for the pwnage mouse situation and how they kept the video live DESPITE knowing the grave mistake in the video

so ya maybe I am a fool who had higher standards for LMG... I wish I was as wise as you are and knew that profit was above integrity for them

They DID address it, and sounds like someone lied, because they showed receipts that had Billet Labs telling them they could keep the prototype. Sounds like it wasn't a one of a kind object. they only asked for it back after they got a bad review. If it was irreplacable why did they originally tell LTT they could keep it?????

1 minute ago, Akiyo said:

Monetized, LTT Store ads, bad jokes - this is after 2 bad takes in a row broadcasting to the world what Linus truly thinks about the situation.

I feel like this is not good enough.

What is good enough for you then??

6 minutes ago, yoc said:

You gotta be kidding me... Well I'm out, this is my final straw.
Address the Madison's allegations.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

No they don't need to address them. Madison had 2 years to do something about this. She hasn't. It is her choice. Allegations of criminal acts do not belong on youtube of forums. There are legal means for it. 

I despise angry mobs. We had criticisms, they have addressed them. Don't care if they make money of of it or not. 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Dornon said:

Billet Labs said Linus can try and get it back. Linus doesn't have the block and there is no guarantee that he can get it back. It came out that they didn't even know who had it and sent out a mass email asking what everyone won for "tax purposes" to try and find out who had it.

Watch the video, they cover this.

Okay, here is my thoughts on this.

I believe that having it paywalled to begin with was a poor choice so was the "micro" ads during this video, I am guessing that they wanted to keep it in the LTT style which always includes sponsor spots and LTTStore.com bits in it however this video is one in which jokes should have been left out however, for the majority of the video I believe this is why Linus is stepping down as CEO, he must have had an idea or two that issues like this was happening at LTT. This doesn't excuse certain things which I will touch upon in a moment but for the editorial issues I can see that Linus had way too much on his plate and that he is very emotionally connected with this company. Linus built this company with allot of help from his family, friends and colleagues so he reacts in a way in which causes more issues akin of someone saying negative things about your child, are you going to get emotional and say things in which you wish you didn't say, of course you are, you are human but as a CEO, you can't do that. 

Linus needs to step back and let Terren Tong manage the company and pull it back from the brink of becoming a platform which no one trusts which no one wants to see as we want to have as many companies/channels doing this sort of thing to keep manufacturers honest but to do so LTT needs to be honest too.

Otherwise within this video, the "taking time" to rectify issues will be something that is greatly needed and will hopefully ensure that LTT is here for the next 15 years. 

However, Madisons comments regarding her time as an LTT employee has come at a difficult time for LTT and as much as I believe that certain things should be dealt with privately, these things can't be helped for a few reasons. Firstly the community has hounded her for years since her departure so for her to get us off her back she has had to bring these issues to light in which I fully support. Women need to be supported in tech industries and being (I know at this present moment its he said she said) sexually assaulted and belittled at every turn with no support from her line manager or senior management, THIS is THE major issue at LTT at the moment.

Now do I think that LTT should respond publicly regarding Madison, absolutely not on video, this is a private matter that needs to be worked on in the background unless both parties wish to discuss it on camera, this is something that will need to be sorted and quickly but not rushed, LTT needs to fix this sharpish and will need to investigate (not just an internal investigation but have an external party investigate this also) and promptly fire/discipline people who are directly involved with any sexual assaults which happen at LTT. 

So I am debating to myself, a long time LTT supporter, who donated to support the new office build donkeys years ago if I can continue to watch LTT, the HR issues need to be resolved in a quick manner and they need to appoint someone to dedicate their time to HR issues and not just keep Colton doing it whilst juggling several other duties. 

If LTT can't take care of their own people, they can't take care of the community and the content they push out to us.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

41 minutes ago, McGherkin said:

You know who I feel sorry for?

I feel sorry for Madison. She finally has the courage to speak up about how she was treated, in a workplace that literally led her to self harm, sexual assault and constant unbearable pressure, even voicing her worry about the kickback from people who will blindly deny her experiences and claim it’s lies…. And that’s exactly what happens. People call her a liar. If you are one of those people, you are the reason people who are victims of abuse don’t speak out. Hang your head in shame.

I feel sorry for Steve at GN. He can’t win. He’s had to tiptoe around saying anything too critical of LTT for years because of the fanbase and even when he speaks out and other people back up his claims, he still gets accused of witch hunting, and gets railed on by Linus who still hasn’t apologised.

I feel sorry for Luke too. He’s always been the sensible one and tried to fight fires, I don’t think he’s involved with the sexual harassment thing but admittedly he’s pretty open about the FP dev team working HARD. I hope they get a break and better conditions. But I also feel bad for Luke making a 69 joke… just as accusations of sexual assault are made against the company.

She could have spoken up long time ago and report it via official channels. Guess there's Jurisdiction in CA as well. Otherwise: not guilty until proven otherwise. Amber Heard. Kevin Spacey. You name it.

Why should someone apologise to Steve? For what?!

6 minutes ago, yoc said:

how do they pay for wages?

5 minutes ago, yoc said:

image.png.02bb6d38696579e61e2ce2c4ce412d34.png
I agree, plus Madison's Glassdoor review seems to match what she's saying in the Twitter/X thread.

5 minutes ago, fartmuncher69_420 said:

I suspect it's that their internal upload process doesn't have a switch off monetization, because why would it. I don't think they log into YouTube to upload as they would have a tools for going into YouTube & floatplane.

it would take like 5-10 seconds to go in and manually turn it off for this video... non-excuse

13 minutes ago, maplepants said:

Internet rage mobs only ever treat apologies as then next thing to get mad at. Even when August Ames killed herself, it wasn't enough for some members of the mob. I don't want seem like Ronson's publicist or something but his August Ames story is a must listen for anyone interested in what these mob attacks are like.

Comparing this issue to someone killing themselves is a weird take, and rather insensitive IMO. The lengths people go to defending Linus doesn't surprise me though.

13 minutes ago, maplepants said:

We're going to have to agree to disagree here about GN. What they wanted out of this was drama clicks and they got them in spades. They are going to keep making drama videos about this, just like they milked their NewEgg and Artesian drama for absolutely every drop they could. Steve's probably on his way to BC now so that he can film himself standing out in front of LMG's building. 

What GN wanted out of this is for LMG to realize their mistakes and improve content quality, also because LTT has a testing lab, if they want to seem like a professional company doing real testing then they need to make sure the tests are accurate as possible.

GN has been careful about criticizing LMG for a while now because of the fanbase that always defends Linus no matter what they do or what dumb take they have. The GN video needed to happen and its things people have been complaining about for years now. Even with the GN video and the recap with more info, people are still getting emotional and defending Linus while they to do damage control.

I find it interesting people think doing investigative journalism is somehow "milking". I guess watching informative videos that call out companies for their BS and anti-consumer tactics just isn't for you then.

Just now, Godiwa said:

it would take like 5-10 seconds to go in and manually turn it off for this video... non-excuse

This.

Is the monetization turned off now? If not, then bruh...

1 minute ago, Aasimar said:

They DID address it, and sounds like someone lied, because they showed receipts that had Billet Labs telling them they could keep the prototype. Sounds like it wasn't a one of a kind object. they only asked for it back after they got a bad review. If it was irreplacable why did they originally tell LTT they could keep it?????

over 200 pages of forum posts and several vids and this guy comes in... You have read something, you have watched something. You understood nothing.

17 minutes ago, McGherkin said:

You know who I feel sorry for?

I feel sorry for Madison. She finally has the courage to speak up about how she was treated, in a workplace that literally led her to self harm, sexual assault and constant unbearable pressure, even voicing her worry about the kickback from people who will blindly deny her experiences and claim it’s lies…. And that’s exactly what happens. People call her a liar. If you are one of those people, you are the reason people who are victims of abuse don’t speak out. Hang your head in shame.

I feel sorry for Steve at GN. He can’t win. He’s had to tiptoe around saying anything too critical of LTT for years because of the fanbase and even when he speaks out and other people back up his claims, he still gets accused of witch hunting, and gets railed on by Linus who still hasn’t apologised.

I feel sorry for Luke too. He’s always been the sensible one and tried to fight fires, I don’t think he’s involved with the sexual harassment thing but admittedly he’s pretty open about the FP dev team working HARD. I hope they get a break and better conditions. But I also feel bad for Luke making a 69 joke… just as accusations of sexual assault are made against the company.

Its a culture problem within that workplace.  

9 minutes ago, Alex T88 said:

You are missing the point, not apologies are what make people rage, but their lack of sincerity. You can blow smoke and pretend to be apologetic all you want. A sincere apology never includes the subject becoming self defensive and trying to justify where you failed. A sincere apology is owning up to mistakes, facts and moving forward. At least that's how I see things. It's only natural for people not to abide by someone who constantly tries to gaslight them. 

Dang, another good example. Apologies given to rage mobs are always deemed to be insincere. The mob claims that a true, and sincere apology, is really all that's needed but it's never true.

In the book I mentioned, Ronson writes "the snowflake never considers itself responsible for the avalanche". I'm telling you right now, you're part of the avalanche. If you can't read the book, or you just want a shorter time commitment check out this talk by Jon. Or if you're really tight on time just check out the part about Justine Sacco

I to used to join in on these internet pile-ons, but Jon's book really made me reconsider. Especially because Sacco's one of the bashings I, to my everlasting shame, joined in on.

I mean, even if Madison is pushing it and making more of it than what really happened... If 10% of what she says is true, it's still very very bad.

Aorus X570 Elite - Ryzen 5700X - Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC - 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Windows 11 Pro

Totally not fun fact.

Terren Tong is CEO since 1st of July but still outside the wall of faces of the company.

Someone don't like to "lose" first row or first position?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

Good, I am glad this video was released and hope that LTT will learn from their mistakes and do better.
A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I actually really like this video, as it goes about addressing the criticisms with production and organizational errors and what they plan to do to fix them. 

I need them to address the Madison stuff as well, it is far more important imo, but I've already said my piece on that in the Madison thread. 

That being said... 

There is a really sad irony that the video released to address their egregious production errors itself contains an egregious production error. 

3 minutes ago, ScoggsUK said:

What is good enough for you then??

probably linus hanging himself dead live on all socmed platform. even then i doubt itll appease the pitchfork holding mob.

some ppl just want to watch the whole world burn (or in this case, a big tech media company collapse) and theyre unhappy it didnt go their way

jesus christ, get a life

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Comparing this issue to someone killing themselves is a weird take, and rather insensitive IMO. The lengths people go to defending Linus doesn't surprise me though.

What GN wanted out of this is for LMG to realize their mistakes and improve content quality, also because LTT has a testing lab, if they want to seem like a professional company doing real testing then they need to make sure the tests are accurate as possible.

GN has been careful about criticizing LMG for a while now because of the fanbase that always defends Linus no matter what they do or what dumb take they have. The GN video needed to happen and its things people have been complaining about for years now. Even with the GN video and the recap with more info, people are still getting emotional and defending Linus while they to do damage control.

I find it interesting people think doing investigative journalism is somehow "milking". I guess watching informative videos that call out companies for their BS and anti-consumer tactics just isn't for you then.

Exactly this.   I agree 1000% The blind fanboys here will never realize this because they are blindly praising Linus in everything he does. Steve just wants Linus to do better.   And as any company, should be held responsible for their actions.   Gigabyte released a dangerous product, imagine if no one called them out for exploding psus? MSI and their shady marketing/pr tactics? Do we give these companies a pass? Why is LMG special? Even fans have to realize people mess up, corporations mess up, and all need to be held accountable if a product is released to the public.

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man