Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

28 minutes ago, Ferazam said:

Let's get revenge against the one who dared to point out the problems with LMG. 

No wonder why things got that bad. 

You do realize that when I said "they need to be taken down a peg" I meant by another channel in a similar way right? Basically I'm hoping they'll fuck up and be called out on it so they get a taste of what they've been doing to others. GN has become nastier & nastier over the years under the guise of "consumer protection" but in almost every occasion they went further than they needed to go and loved twisting the knife in the wound to the point where it wasn't about pointing out mistakes but revelling in it.

GN doesn't know what it's like being a tall tree and catching a lot of wind and how easy it is to screw up somewhere along the way. In fact, I think they already screwed up massively with the way they handled this but it seems a lot of people don't share this opinion because they're too busy sharpening their pitchforks. 

11 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

You do realize that when I said "they need to be taken down a peg" I meant by another channel in a similar way right? Basically I'm hoping they'll fuck up and be called out on it so they get a taste of what they've been doing to others. GN has become nastier & nastier over the years under the guise of "consumer protection" but in almost every occasion they went further than they needed to go and loved twisting the knife in the wound to the point where it wasn't about pointing out mistakes but revelling in it.

GN doesn't know what it's like being a tall tree and catching a lot of wind and how easy it is to screw up somewhere along the way. In fact, I think they already screwed up massively with the way they handled this but it seems a lot of people don't share this opinion because they're too busy sharpening their pitchforks. 

Whether GN gets called out for shady dealings or not, there's no way I can imagine Steve giving such a totally messed up response as Linus managed.  

25 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

Whether GN gets called out for shady dealings or not, there's no way I can imagine Steve giving such a totally messed up response as Linus managed.  

I'm sure Steve would give another one of his long high-horse speeches as response if it came down to it and it would probably include 35 graphs of detailed statistics to back up his claims.

1 minute ago, CerberusLabrat said:

As a couple of other people have said elsewhere, I kind of agree with Linus in one respect here.

It's just journalistic courtesy to reach out for comment before you run a story on somebody. You're under no obligation to include that in the story, but it is still courtesy to do so. And that's kind of a glaring omission when what you're alleging is that someone didn't dot all their i's and cross all their T's. It's kinda hypocritical.

Also yes, Linus handled the whole situation with Billet Labs wrong but like...c'mon. Billet Labs is a company that, under any other circumstances, most of the people on the Internet would be roasting for their business model. They don't own any IP, they are making their money by selling things that don't exist yet...

You guys have a parasocial relationship with the figure of Linus. It's as if Steve and Linus are viewed as "friends," and friends don't act that way; a friend would have called. Followed and amplified the childish way Linus deals with criticism, like someone was "attacking" a friend that you guys need to defend. 

Facing the reality that your parasocial buddy is not as perfect as you see in the videos is too hard, and the search for excuses starts. You guys don't really know him. 

Did you ever get outraged by the fact that a journalist didn't contact a 100-million-dollar company for comments at any moment in your life? We all know that is a no. 

Things were bad, and a lot of errors happened. There is no excuse. Being worry about courtesy is just a way to dismiss the problem.

The great news is that who made the mistakes and needs to deal with the errors is them not you guys. And It's not wrong to wish that they fix things and improve. Then just relax and wait. 

About billet labs, don't be naive; you are regurgitating a version of Linus' points and making it sound that LMG actictions wouldn't make any difference. 

40 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

Nasty? Where do these comments come from? He just made a piece on issues of the channel, nothing seemed hateful or aimed to purposefully demean LMG. Nothing they said hasn't been obvious for a long while, the fact their videos are rushed and can often have issues as a result of that hasn't been news, it's also been an issue raised by a few employees in one of LMGs own videos, the main difference is that someone with influence is pointing out all this out.

Nonetheless, criticism, when taken well and actioned on, is beneficial regardless of who criticizes who.

Also this isn't a case of an accidental screw up, these have been consistent problems for quite a while and if you're a publication who aims to inform consumers, it's important you get things right instead of rushing them, what made this significantly worse was Linus's poor response alongside with the SA allegations.

If Linus or LMG would have done a simple, short apology (maybe not even that) and say/show what they're going to do to change from now on it would have never gotten to this point. They could have even thrown in some jokes and no one would have cared. But Linus started digging a grave with the piss poor response and doubling down. And now they're trying to get back out.

Also can you exemplify how GN has become nastier and nastier over the years? I don't watch every single piece of content they make but they don't seem like that at all. Maybe I'm mistaken.

10 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Nasty? Where do these comments come from? He just made a piece on issues of the channel, nothing seemed hateful or aimed to purposefully demean LMG. Nothing they said hasn't been obvious for a long while, the fact their videos are rushed and can often have issues as a result of that hasn't been news, it's also been an issue raised by a few employees in one of LMGs own videos, the main difference is that someone with influence is pointing out all this out.

Nonetheless, criticism, when taken well and actioned on, is beneficial regardless of who criticizes who.

Also this isn't a case of an accidental screw up, these have been consistent problems for quite a while and if you're a publication who aims to inform consumers, it's important you get things right instead of rushing them, what made this significantly worse was Linus's poor response alongside with the SA allegations.

If Linus or LMG would have done a simple, short apology (maybe not even that) and say/show what they're going to do to change from now on it would have never gotten to this point. They could have even thrown in some jokes and no one would have cared. But Linus started digging a grave with the piss poor response and doubling down. And now they're trying to get back out.

Also can you exemplify how GN has become nastier and nastier over the years? I don't watch every single piece of content they make but they don't seem like that at all. Maybe I'm mistaken.

I didn't mind the part about the errors in their benchmarks (although they went on far too long about it - they should have been a 3 minute point, not a 20 minute point) but the whole thing about the cooling block is where they went off the deep end - read my previous posts, I made it quite clear. You can NOT act to be impartial and then blatantly refuse to give Linus a way to rectify things AND act innocent when it then turns out Billet partially hid the truth AND then act as if you weren't to blame when it caused a huge shit storm where people accused Linus of actively and maliciously trying to destroy a small company. I'm sorry but that was a nasty thing to do and it's not the first time.

If you pay attention to their recent videos of the past year or so, they've done similar nasty things before including the BIOS disclaimer with ASUS where they claimed ASUS added that disclaimer to shirk responsibility for a rushed BIOS while in reality this disclaimer is added by default to every BIOS update because a manufacturer would go bankrupt if they RMA'd every dead mobo due to improper BIOS flashing. ASUS removed it after the backlash and GN responded by making a snarky remark about how they only did it after they called them out on it. That stuff is nasty to me. They also never apologise when they're caught out but always double down - instead of owning up to mistakes they go something along the lines of "well yeah but they're still wrong so I don't care". 

EDIT: And to be clear, I've felt this way about GN for quite some time - the fact I recall the BIOS thing shows this. The LMG attack just further confirmed what I already knew: that GN loves to drum up drama by misrepresenting facts. Even after Linus clarified that GN was wrong about the cooler block, Steve went in the offense HARD on Linus claiming this was a justification which it was NOT. Steve called it a justification but it was clearly Linus showing they got their facts wrong and why they should have contacted him first but oh dear, we can't have GN making mistakes so better go in the offense and attack Linus even further instead.

8 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

You do realize that when I said "they need to be taken down a peg" I meant by another channel in a similar way right? Basically I'm hoping they'll fuck up and be called out on it so they get a taste of what they've been doing to others.

But it's not and never was about fucking up. It was about LMG's and Linus' ego and disregard for others that is the problem.

How many times did Steve have to say that everybody makes mistakes, including GN? (and I don't even like him, lol)

The whole thing started when LMG's engineer dropped GN and HU names when asked about what Labs is, reportedly, doing better than Youtube competitors. Linus apologized but then alluded to the whole Trust Me Bro drama from last year, indirectly firing a potshot at GN.

Steve then just exploded, given his own observation and knowledge of LTT's fuckups, and recorded his lengthy video detailing everything - particularly the Billet Labs saga.

But then Linus, instead of owning up, wrote a whiny post on the forum, portraying himself as a victim, which only compounded public outrage. He could still have saved this at that point if he just apologized. 

So, really, the whole controversy is not about nitpicking stuff that LMG screwed up in the past at all but about the disregard they - and Linus in particular - show towards others, despite claiming to act otherwise.

58 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

This. Those who defend LTT don't realize that most people don't give a crap about those mistakes. Two things sent people ballistic - the Billet Labs situation and Linus' response to GN. Nobody would give a pig's ass about it if it was just about some charts with wrong figures.

5 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

I didn't mind the part about the errors in their benchmarks (although they went on far too long about it - they should have been a 3 minute point, not a 20 minute point) but the whole thing about the cooling block is where they went off the deep end - read my previous posts, I made it quite clear. You can NOT act to be impartial and then blatantly refuse to give Linus a way to rectify things AND act innocent when it then turns out Billet partially hid the truth AND then act as if you weren't to blame when it caused a huge shit storm where people accused Linus of actively and maliciously trying to destroy a small company. I'm sorry but that was a nasty thing to do and it's not the first time.

What exactly did Billet Labs hide? The only thing that somewhat saved Linus in the end, and should be mentioned, was that they did indeed try to reach out to Billet earlier but Colton didn't include them in his email (lol). 

It's the only thing that needs clarification.

Just now, mikaelus said:

This. Those who defend LTT don't realize that most people don't give a crap about those mistakes. Two things sent people ballistic - the Billet Labs situation and Linus' response to GN. Nobody would give a pig's ass about it if it was just about some charts with wrong figures.

People took offense to Linus' response mainly because GN had misrepresented the Billet Labs situation though - that's the whole point of my last few posts. This would never have exploded if GN had done their due diligence and  not implied Linus was being malicious. People really thought he did it on purpose to screw with Billet because that's what Steve basically implied. How on earth can you defend GN after it was clear they screwed up and even ADMITTED they didn't want to hear Linus' side of things? We know where LTT fucked up but GN is still to blame for the biggest mess.

2 minutes ago, mikaelus said:

What exactly did Billet Labs hide? The only thing that somewhat saved Linus in the end, and should be mentioned, was that they did indeed try to reach out to Billet earlier but Colton didn't include them in his email (lol). 

It's the only thing that needs clarification.

Erm the fact they told Linus they could keep it at first?  GN had a whole song & dance about how that prototype was crucial for the survival of Billet which was clearly exaggerated since they initially didn't even want it back.

20 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

Erm the fact they told Linus they could keep it at first? 

What does that change when they had an explicit agreement in the later days to have it returned so they can ship it to other reviewers? 

Let's be clear about something - they told Linus he could keep it but then he completely butchered the review, used it on a wrong card, steamrolled the product and the entire company, and was at no point apologetic about it, and then doubled down saying nothing would have changed his opinion. So they said - well, can we have it back. And LTT said - sure, we'll send it back. And again, and again, and again... and nothing.

And then they auctioned it off.

In fact, Billet even sent them the right card - 3090Ti - and they are still waiting to get that back.

Just now, Linthonus said:

FUCK GAMERS NEXUS!

Why do you say that?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Linthonus said:

FUCK GAMERS NEXUS!

All of them, or just Steve?   

Cause Steve's kinda hot in that Baldur's Gate Druid/Bear sort of way.

7 hours ago, Slizzo said:

I was initially skeptical at first as well, but then Colin corroborated much of what she's said already. And Emily has also not flat out denied that any of what Madison has said is untruthful.

My brain is quite gown, thank you very much. That's why I called out your victim blaming/shaming as what it was, a terrible hot take. Because before we know more it's best to not say any of what I originally quoted from you.

My take on Colin post is 50:50

He did say that what madison say to him is consistent with what he remember madison told him

But at the same time he specifically said that he never seen any of the incident firsthand and all of it is a heresay based on madison side of the story

22 minutes ago, mikaelus said:

That is funny considering they attack LMG due to making mistake. 😅

What an interesting comment to make, so GN can make any mistake they want and maliciously try to destroy their competitor?

So they are not under the same ethic that they preach about?

That is just pure BS

While I said that I would stay out of this thread, here is one last update:

Considering everything that came out, GB's actions are well over-board, and that goes along with his reactions on certain other brands in the past.

The world is not perfect, and by his standards, everything and everybody fails. There is a time to call somebody out, and when you have the balls for that, you do it in person.

This little stunt got him over the 2 M sub barrier on his channel, that alone is worth much more than his video not being monetized.

And now look at all the follower-trools that sniffed some blood. So many of his "viewers" jumped on the hate bandwagon, making things only worse.

I unsubbed from GN, because what he created is just worse.

8 minutes ago, Cooldoe said:

That is funny considering they attack LMG due to making mistake. 😅

What an interesting comment to make, so GN can make any mistake they want and maliciously try to destroy their competitor?

So they are not under the same ethic that they preach about?

That is just pure BS

How did you finish any school with this level of English comprehension? No, they did not attack LMG for its mistakes. They listed them, of course, but even I said that nobody would care about mistakes if it wasn't for LMG's and Linus' behaviour about Billet and his whiny response on this forum.

Jesus, honestly...

4 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

While I said that I would stay out of this thread, here is one last update:

Considering everything that came out, GM's actions are well over-board, and that goes along with his reactions on certain other brands in the past.

The world is not perfect, and by his standards, everything and everybody fails. There is a time to call somebody out, and when you have the balls for that, you do it in person.

This little stunt got him over the 2 M sub barrier on his channel, that alone is worth much more than his video not being monetized.

And now look at all the follower-trools that sniffed some blood. So many of his "viewers" jumped on the hate bandwagon, making things only worse.

I unsubbed from GM, because what he created is just worse.

Ah, nice, so it's OK if Lord Linus tramples smaller companies, doesn't acknowledge his guilt and then cries that he's being victimized? But when someone points it out and people get pissed off that's egregious!

FFS.

It's not GN that makes things worse - it's people like you.

5 minutes ago, mikaelus said:

Ah, nice, so it's OK if Lord Linus tramples smaller companies, doesn't acknowledge his guilt and then cries that he's being victimized? But when someone points it out and people get pissed off that's egregious!

FFS.

GN created a snowball effect, that is INDEED much worse. Look at this thread alone... its full of blame and hate. Where I come from, the current situation is now a lose:lose constellation, because ya'll didn't even agree with him stepping back and promising changes.

For people like you, its all about drama and hate.

5 minutes ago, mikaelus said:

FFS.

also monetizes every part of the apology

Just now, Texbobcat said:

also monetizes every part of the apology

And gives up over a week of income for the entire company.

1 minute ago, McCarthy said:

And gives up over a week of income for the entire company.

brother he ran ltt store ads in the video, ran advertisements on the video, made the video a timed floatplane exclusive, and every update video/text/picture about the apology is a floatplane exclusive

7 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

GN created a snowball effect

They defended themselves after being attacked.

Like my dad always said, "Don't go starting fights but you're welcome to finish them."