Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

Whats the consensus on the LTT video?

and does anyone think there will be a WAN show?

4 minutes ago, TakeTheL said:

Linus just had to squeeze a “but muh personal attacks…” in his “taking full accountability” apology.

Dude runs on feelz.

also…

- Apology video is monetized.

- LTT/LMG merch staged on set.

- Links to merch in video description.

- CEO jokes about cutting to a sponsor, twice.

- Price of Billet Labs cooling block is posted (£2000) after BL specifically asked for them not to do so (It has since been blurred out in the footage).

- “69” reference (reinforcing Madison’s take on company culture).

I’m watching a colossal train wreck in slow motion.

>Calls apology for inaccurate info and billet labs bad for various reasons
>They posted the price of the prototype!11!! thats so dreadful and im going to infer the billet labs said to LTT not to share it even though they have only said that to GN and then im going to repost the price of the prototype again because I actually care about billet and am totally not using this as a dig against LTT!

You are no better then them

And are you seriously going to go on about them wearing ltt merch. Bottom of the barrel digging here.

"- Apology video is monetized."

And so it should be. Demonetization is stupid, the ads are still there, they just go to YT - last time I checked, they have 100+ employees to pay. 

"CEO jokes about cutting to a sponsor, twice" , “69” reference"

Have you ever... like ever watched any of there content

Focus on the Issue, which is Madison's Claims. Don't try to go after this pretty solid apology for petty things. 

8 minutes ago, SimonShipperd said:

This was already addressed in the past. Blaming this on Linus is completely nuts, but I understand a grieving father. But the facts:

1. In the NCIX auction video, you can see that Linus wants to buy the silver play button.

2. Linus arrived to late and the button was already sold to the kid that owned MindChop.

3. Linus asked if he could buy it from him since it holds sentimental value to him.

4. The kid and his dad explain he never received the silver play button for his own channel.

5. The kid offers Linus to buy the play button and shows him his channel

6. The kid decides to sell to Linus, but Linus decides that the kid can keep it after seeing his channel

7.  Linus gives him a shout out for being so cool to offering to sell the button back to him

8. Linus gives the kid's channel a shout out in the video.

After this, some idiots with keyboards and to much time on their hands decided to harass the kid, even after Linus telling them to stop that idiotic behavior.

It annoys me that people keep bring up stuff like this, the wage discussions and union talk without presenting the facts as they actually are. Simply to frame Linus as a monster.

I apologize, you are right, I deleted it before this comment but I have seen the Wan where he asks fans not to do that.

I have also seen his comment now which is very good and feels way genuine. I guess the community is to be blamed here, There is 10k disliked in his last video so it wasn't a couple of people harassing him for it. Either way it's pretty sad the story is true.

Here is Linus' comment.image.thumb.png.5f1901090d480bbd731f90cf2022c37f.png

12 minutes ago, bxxr said:

Don't forget about squeezing the name of a certain sponsor into the last few seconds. Just disgusting.

So disgusting. How dare they. Utterly terrible. 

Get real, the thing that's disgusting are Madisons claims. 

28 minutes ago, EchoBravo498 said:

EDIT: also what info would Steve get that would have been helpful/useful for his story?

I think just some of the specifics about the water block. I saw a lot of people saying nothing was done until after GN’s video, but in the What do we do now video, we learn that stuff was being done, but errors were made and emails weren’t send properly.

I think it was also simplified a bit, as they were originally allowed to keep it. Billet decided they wanted it back, and that arrangement was agreed to. Maybe there’s earlier stuff I’m missing, but it’s just a communication nightmare!

Just a little more info would have avoided the whole theft complaints, and allowed people to focus on the meaningful issues.

2 minutes ago, TheSilverSpade said:

and does anyone think there will be a WAN show?

I think don't even they know at that point. I mean....one week off means Wednesday next week so no....No WAN show.

19 hours ago, VisibleXela said:

It's not about "faking" anything, it's that people on the internet are vultures and will descend on anything Linus says and make it an even bigger issue. It's already happened, people (myself included) are tearing Linus's response to bits.

well I called that shot from a mile away.

2 minutes ago, dustypaws said:

I think don't even they know at that point. I mean....one week off means Wednesday next week so no....No WAN show.

Probably for the best. Giving Linus and the community a direct pipeline to communicate seems like a terrible idea right now.

The BilletLabs stuff is bad, but big mistakes happen and anyone who thinks LMG did it on purpose are moronic.

The accuracy stuff... meh. I never read the graphs in the videos, I have my own brain and I can work out that the 4090 is not actually 300% faster than the 3090ti. If someone goes out and immediately buys a 4090 based on that video then they only have themselves to blame. Should LMG do better in this regard? Of course, but much, much bigger corporations than LMG make accuracy mistakes, its human.

This whole fiasco just comes across as Steve from GN whining. He could have presented these findings privately to LMG or could have released a video where he wasn't accusing LMG of being a big, bad, evil YouTube channel. The only reason he's gone public with the clickbait video is to get more interest in his own channel (at the time of writing his LMG video has 10-20x more views than his other videos). To me that's just as bad as anything he accuses LMG of.

2 minutes ago, Tugmaster said:

I think the video response was good and well thought out. I even laughed a couple times. Time for people to put down pitchforks and move forward. Have a great day!

For some reason I've seen so many people complaining about the apology video and how they snuck in some of their usual memey sponsor-like reads // mentioning of LTTStore.

While I don't think teasing a new screwdriver color fit well into this video, I think the fake seques to sponsor were quite funny and a welcome delight in an otherwise very serious video.
I actually laughed my ass off at the end with DBrand having offered to sponsor the video 🤣, the LTTStore mention was also obviously a meme to how they usually plug it in and quite funny.

People need to calm down a little and at least lower their pitchforks down a little (not saying to put them down necessarily). I for one am curious to see what will come / grow out of this and I'm hoping for good systems to be set up and put in place.

Now the entire Madison drama is a whole other story and I'm curious to see what happens with that ...

5 minutes ago, Pyrannha said:

I remember the video where Linus went to the NCIX auction to get the silver play button. The OG button with the NCIX name on it that he was the one making the videos for that he was the creator responsible for. That was literally HIS play button. Had it been me, I would have held fast on that stance but he had enough buttons from other channels and decided you know what, what happened to you sucked, keep it man, and moved on. That the community took a different stance says literally nothing about Linus or his company, he did literally the most right thing he could have. Got emotional at first and then said you know what, you deserve this, I have two. let me shout out your channel, take care man. how on EARTH is anything else that came after Linus's fault???

"Had it been me, I would have held fast on that stance" That's a pretty shitty opinion, the kid won it fair and square. What Linus did here was the right choice. I watched the video, and it feels like a different era. I also saw that Linus replied to the Dad's post so it's not like he ignored it. I was in the wrong here for assuming they hadn't replied since I don't remember any of this happening.

Good on him.

12 minutes ago, TakeTheL said:

Linus just had to squeeze a “but muh personal attacks…” in his “taking full accountability” apology.
Dude runs on feelz.

also…

- Apology video is monetized.

- LTT/LMG merch staged on set.

- Links to merch in video description.
- CEO jokes about cutting to a sponsor, twice.
- Price of Billet Labs cooling block is posted (£2000) after BL specifically asked for them not to do so (It has since been blurred out in the footage).

- “69” reference (reinforcing Madison’s take on company culture).

I’m watching a colossal train wreck in slow motion.

At a certain point, the toxic cesspool that is the LTT subreddit started targeting his kids. This went way beyond questioning the integrity of LTT, these were nothing more than personal attacks.

Yeah, he does run on feelz, just like he said in the video. And I think that's what a lot of people also like about Linus. He is very open about a lot of stuff, about more than he should be some times. But I'd rather have a person like that, than some corporate reaction.

Apology video is monetized.

Honestly, who cares? Is that all that people can take away from this? I know people worshiped the holier than though disabling of monetization by GN. Do you really think that this wasn't a well thought out strategy by GN? Does it really take away from the message? Especially since they won't be releasing any video for the next week.

LTT/LMG merch staged on set
What staged merch? Hell, what set? They are literally sitting on a couch in front of a camera. I didn't see anyone complain about GN's merch being plastered all over his set with his demonetized video.

Links to lttstore

What does this matter? Really, explain. How does this in any way take away from the message?

Cooling block price

Afaik they only asked GN to not reveal the price. Otherwise, just a mistake.

Six nines = 99,9999% uptime. Oh no, he made a small wink referencing a running gag that's been going on for years. I don't see what that has to do with company culture. I doubt that a guy with 2 small daughters would ever allow such behavior in his company.

All in all, I feel that people who are nitpicking at everything in the video can not be satisfied. Some people would only have been satisfied if it was a video stating that they're shutting down LMG affective immediately.

My apologies for any spelling / grammar mistakes. English isn't my native language.

3 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

The BilletLabs stuff is bad, but big mistakes happen and anyone who thinks LMG did it on purpose are moronic.

The accuracy stuff... meh. I never read the graphs in the videos, I have my own brain and I can work out that the 4090 is not actually 300% faster than the 3090ti. If someone goes out and immediately buys a 4090 based on that video then they only have themselves to blame. Should LMG do better in this regard? Of course, but much, much bigger corporations than LMG make accuracy mistakes, its human.

This whole fiasco just comes across as Steve from GN whining. He could have presented these findings privately to LMG or could have released a video where he wasn't accusing LMG of being a big, bad, evil YouTube channel. The only reason he's gone public with the clickbait video is to get more interest in his own channel (at the time of writing his LMG video has 10-20x more views than his other videos). To me that's just as bad as anything he accuses LMG of.

To be honest, him making a video is proobably the only way that LMG would've taken it as seriously as they seem to be doing.

It's just sad to see how many people are just calling for LMG / Linus's heads while - all by all - they haven't necessarily done too much wrong. It's the classic startup story, one that the company I work at also has issues with. A small company starts growing really fast in a matter of a few years, there have been some bandaids along the way to keep it running semi smooth, but it never really gets addressed because there is no time to do so.

After a while, it becomes glaringly obvious there's a lot wrong, communication failing // inefficiency at all sides, etc etc.

The BilletLabs stuff falls under that category, the reviews being inaccurate too (to some extent), it's all just breakdown of communication and / or bad systems in place while having to keep to a strict (in this case uploading) schedule.

How do you plug the store in an apology video? Why are there so many dumb jokes in it? Why is Linus, yet again, throwing anybody under the bus? Why weren't you just earnest without the fake, corporate-feeling pushiness about how you're still fun and cool?

Colton messed up, admitted to it. That's not enough though, as Linus still feels a need to put blame on him while still calling for sympathy to his own situation.

Linus, if you read this, here's some constructive criticism: please stop grouping us, the majority of your community, in with people who claim horrible, untrue things about you and then use those things as excuses for you doing shit because those things affect you emotionally. We see what you've been trying to do over the years. We see that you want us to be educated consumers. You still cannot take things said by the fringe to heart and let that cloud your judgement when it comes to the necessary process of calling out your imperfections. Your imperfections affect so many people at this point so its in your and your team's best interest to take a step back and get some help. Otherwise the term "L is for narcissist" will stop being a joke and actually haunt you. 

Just because you admit to being tone-deaf doesn't mean you've completely learned from it obviously. Even Luke, the chosen one whom we all appreciate for his obvious attempts to remain level-headed, has seemingly caved and gone along with the overall tone and delivered the dumb sexual innuendo.

Yep, things will get better and I'll probably keep watching your videos but this is yet again a bit of a miss. That leaves me with less belief that the truths spoken in this apology video will be acted upon with the earnestness that it deserves. 

2 minutes ago, SimonShipperd said:

At a certain point, the toxic cesspool that is the LTT subreddit started targeting his kids. This went way beyond questioning the integrity of LTT, these were nothing more than personal attacks.

Yeah, he does run on feelz, just like he said in the video. And I think that's what a lot of people also like about Linus. He is very open about a lot of stuff, about more than he should be some times. But I'd rather have a person like that, than some corporate reaction.

Apology video is monetized.

Honestly, who cares? Is that all that people can take away from this? I know people worshiped the holier than though disabling of monetization by GN. Do you really think that this wasn't a well thought out strategy by GN? Does it really take away from the message? Especially since they won't be releasing any video for the next week.

LTT/LMG merch staged on set
What staged merch? Hell, what set? They are literally sitting on a couch in front of a camera. I didn't see anyone complain about GN's merch being plastered all over his set with his demonetized video.

Links to lttstore

What does this matter? Really, explain. How does this in any way take away from the message?

Cooling block price

Afaik they only asked GN to not reveal the price. Otherwise, just a mistake.

Six nines = 99,9999% uptime. Oh no, he made a small wink referencing a running gag that's been going on for years. I don't see what that has to do with company culture. I doubt that a guy with 2 small daughters would ever allow such behavior in his company.

All in all, I feel that people who are nitpicking at everything in the video can not be satisfied. Some people would only have been satisfied if it was a video stating that they're shutting down LMG affective immediately.

Solid non name calling, rational retort. I can see your reasoning for a couple of points but the overall gist I get from the big picture leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

everyone makes mistakes.

important thing is to learn from them and grow stronger.

god knows I make mistakes... think of which I best get out and buy the wife a anniversary present I forgot....

David C

www.b787register.co.uk

58 minutes ago, 1982 Original said:

GN should have monetized their video. They have employees to pay and a business to run. As does LTT, who won’t see a week of YouTube revenue. GN didn’t monetize because of optics and for some people in the community might put GN on a morale high ground. 

GN clearly has a vendetta against LTT. This is their 2nd take-down in just a matter of months. GN can state truths about how LTT is running their business and it can also be personal, both of those things can be true at the same time. 

The backpack take-down was especially petty. GN had their own issues with their mod-matt, had to fix it, then came up with a warranty after the fact. Then to leverage a take-down on LTT as they were working through their own issue with the caribeaner on their backpack is petty. GN could have easily said, “here’s how we handled our mod-matt mess-up.”  

In this case, GN only just published how they internally handle video errors. Then to immediately turn around and criticize LTT is petty. Accurate, but petty. All of these YouTubers have the same problems, GN fixes their’s, just to turn around to blast LTT and no one else (other YouTubers). 

Steve screamed personal relationships don’t matter here, yet has various other personal relationships across YouTube, Hardware Unboxed, Wendell, Jay, Buildzoid, Derbauer. The other Steve from HUB said they talk weekly. The relationship with Linus just meant nothing clearly. Something happened in the past to put Linus in Steve’s crosshairs is my guess. 

- GN said why he didn't monetize the video, i'm sure Steve's business can survive by not monetizing that video.

The emphasis should be on why LTT/LMG monetized an apology video, joked about sponsorships, and ran an LTT store plug.

It doesn't feel like a genuine apology if they feel the need to profit from it.

- If people still think GN has some sort of "vendetta" against LTT/LMG then they're really missing the point of the video. There wasn't anything personal about the video, it was all mistakes that can be easily found in videos and that is a massive issue for a company that wants to run testing in a lab.

- I disagree, the backpack thing wasn't petty at all, people were right to demand a warranty on a $250 backpack and Linus took personal offense with the whole "trust me bro" tactic.

The issues GN had with the modmat were well resolved, people were offered a correction on it, and Steve took the modmat off of the store until all the modmats were updated.

-  It is well known how GN publishes corrections on video errors, Steve usually makes a correction on the next HW news video, while LTT/LMG can take a video down, make edits and keep the same video up.  LTT has that much power with youtube to make video edits,  but would rather rush videos out every day instead of fixing errors. Also the things GN pointed out in the video are errors LTT/LMG have been doing for a while, IMO the video needed to happen calling them out on it especially someone at LMG said they do better benchmarks than GN or HW Unboxed.

- Steve discussing things with other tech youtubers isn't the same as having a business relationship, you're taking that out of context, Steve said he doesn't have relationships with other businesses.

On 8/14/2023 at 2:28 PM, deblimp said:

Steve vs Linus cage match when?????

It will be one of the fights before the Elon vs Mark fight.

3 minutes ago, slash-proc said:

How do you plug the store in an apology video? Why are there so many dumb jokes in it? Why is Linus, yet again, throwing anybody under the bus? Why weren't you just earnest without the fake, corporate-feeling pushiness about how you're still fun and cool?

Colton messed up, admitted to it. That's not enough though, as Linus still feels a need to put blame on him while still calling for sympathy to his own situation.

Linus, if you read this, here's some constructive criticism: please stop grouping us, the majority of your community, in with people who claim horrible, untrue things about you and then use those things as excuses for you doing shit because those things affect you emotionally. We see what you've been trying to do over the years. We see that you want us to be educated consumers. You still cannot take things said by the fringe to heart and let that cloud your judgement when it comes to the necessary process of calling out your imperfections. Your imperfections affect so many people at this point so its in your and your team's best interest to take a step back and get some help. Otherwise the term "L is for narcissist" will stop being a joke and actually haunt you. 

Just because you admit to being tone-deaf doesn't mean you've completely learned from it obviously. Even Luke, the chosen one whom we all appreciate for his obvious attempts to remain level-headed, has seemingly caved and gone along with the overall tone and delivered the dumb sexual innuendo.

Yep, things will get better and I'll probably keep watching your videos but this is yet again a bit of a miss. That leaves me with less belief that the truths spoken in this apology video will be acted upon with the earnestness that it deserves. 

Probably because they know the target audience will appreciate it? They obviously want to keep their core community so if it offends others they probably weren't going to be fans of the channel to begin.