Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

19 minutes ago, Legitsu said:

here's some journalistic integrity for you

gn states that billet labs was made aware around the 11th

while billets own statment here: claims it was the 10th:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15rxni4/our_public_statement_regarding_ltt/?

which is it ? given that steves video was posted on a monday as I have said before that one day difference matters 

so what we expected to trust somebody that can't even remember what day it was ?: 

thats how many a court case has been lost 

a little hint for you- what date is "around the 11th"? there's a reason that the wording isn't "on the 11th", but "around the 11th"

1 minute ago, harls said:

The problem is it wasn't a journalistic video. 

Prove it. Show me how it wasn't a journalistic video that went into detail about how FUBAR the LTT Labs results were. You are choosing to see it in a negative light because your favorite content creator is being an absolute man child and you can't handle people criticizing obviously flawed work.

3 minutes ago, Hydra_20 said:

In any case, that's about all there is to this. The whole Billet thing seems to be resolved

It's not solved. Linus said it was solved without confirming with Billet labs. Billet shared what the block is worth, not sending an invoice opposed to Linus claiming that they did, after which Linus said they will pay them, which they also have not done yet.

1 minute ago, filpo said:

look out! he might not invite you to his birthday party next 😱

Noooo GIF - No Noooo TheOffice - Discover & Share GIFs

OH GOD!  His mother will be devastated!

2 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Wow, this trainwreck is still getting worse? Holy crap.

Dozens of people have signed-up in the last 24 hours, with the singular goal of slinging mud. This thread was going to be a guaranteed catastrophe with the forum being brigaded like this.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

2 hours ago, dustypaws said:

What does that tell you about your leadership capabilities...?

Mine.  I don't know.  As the CEO and/or the one whose name is on the building he is ultimately responsible.  So what can he do.  

Should some underling be fired for this?   The head of inventory?  The inventory worker who picked that prototype?  Who.  Who gets to be put on public assistance because of this mistake? It's not an easy call to make. 

2 minutes ago, TheProfosist said:

In my eyes that person was just a bit delusional about how a job works. Dont know them or their history but working with the LMG team at LTX has reinforced that at their size LMG is a regular employer that hires regular people. People want to put them on a pedestal since they're a "YouTuber".

Oh definitely. I honestly don't know that we should give that person credit right now. I was just bringing it up to show how Linus could handle this on WAN show which I really hope he doesn't.

14 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

The patent system has been broken for quite some time now.  There are usually ways around these types of design patents, and the process to get a patent can be long and arborous.  What can happen though is being first to market etc, to establish brand recognition and such.  Look at fidget spinners, while there are tons of clones the name fidget spinner is now synonymous with it (or like the word Kleenex).  It's almost the intangibles that money and even free press cannot buy.

I can see your point—nothing to disagree with here. 

There is a difference between being a stakeholder in a company and not disclosing and someone in the same space creating a video about another creator.

If you were to watch GN's video, it's clear from the video that he covers technology.  There is no need to state the blatantly obvious; but if you were to watch an LTT laptop video would you know that LTT has a vested stake in competing laptops?  No.  That's where the difference lies.

The example I give in terms of this, LTT created a video which effectively talks about soldered components and comes to the conclusion that being upgradable is better overall...given that Framework is the one that markets themselves on that kind of mantra, it should be noted that Linus has a stake in Framework.

I think they mention in their video that Linus is invested in Framework laptop or at least mentions it via the text below. Now I can't say for sure whether they do it for each video or not, as I am aware of it, I don't really care about it that much. If anyone has any skepticism about their laptop coverage, I can understand why that is. You said that if someone in the same space creating a video about another creator, where is the problem? Well, let me clarify. Steve is a very, very good tech reviewer, and he maintains a high degree of accuracy in his tests. That's what he does, and that's what he makes videos about. He doesn't go and expose another creator in the tech space (which, if you want, many can be exposed). This is the first time I am seeing it. And I am saying he saying anything wrong. I am just saying he has much to gain. And you should not deny that can be the reason behind making the video. 

When it's former high level positions, then yes it's okay to call into question their affiliations.  If they were some engineer who worked at Asus I'm sure it wouldn't be as big of a deal.  What is a big deal though is when you have someone whose literal title was Product Marketing for North America; that's when things start getting called into question (especially when they are taking sponsorships from them, and seemingly has had a few soft balls thrown at Asus)

I can see where you are going with this. I can't deny that I haven't seen it. But I also believe there is little to no evidence exists that it is because of Gary.

1 minute ago, asdsadfas said:

around the 11th"?

you know the 11th century? I'm guessing it was around 1066 since that was a pretty dramatic year for some reason

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

3 minutes ago, Legitsu said:

only because steve got into a pissing match with both companies 

so what nobody on youtube is allowed to sponser with anybody daddy steve has decided is a bad guy ?

again the arrogance is just off the effing scale with gn here who the tf do you think you are 

Lmao pump the brakes, turbo. Linus isn’t going to invite you over for tea if you defend him hard enough here.

Just adding my voice here:

This is a PR catastrophe unlike any other in recent history.

I'm a long-time and loyal viewer, and this is the first time that I've thought that Linus/LMG is completely in the wrong.

Linus has to realize that this is not the same audience of haters that usually piles on to the drama, but rather his longtime and harder-core fans.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, ScoggsUK said:

I agree they are in the wrong and have items to answer for. 

But I respectively agree to disagree on the right to comment point. It was the right thing to do in the circumstances in my opinion. 

I'm not going to infer what would have happened if it was dealt with it privately and I'd be amazed if anyone within this thread is close enough to do so. 

I can't pretend to know what could or would have happened had the situation be dealt with in private, but I still think it's absolutely fair to point out how shady it looks. It's hard to believe "Steve should have let us know quietly" if LMG didn't even attempt to make the Billet Labs situation right until after the video went live and public outcry forced his hand.

1 minute ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Should some underling be fired for this?   The head of inventory?  The inventory worker who picked that prototype?  Who.  Who gets to be put on public assistance because of this mistake? It's not an easy call to make. 

No, they definitely shouldn't choose a scapegoat among their ordinary employees. Ultimately, it's the management fault.

2 minutes ago, jitteryzeitgeist said:

Its not an insult.

Calling him a fraudulent, uninformed, disconnected huckster with megalomaniacal and narcissistic tendencies, thats more of an insult.

You being a sycophant is an insult.

Me calling his words “bullshit” is a matter of opinion

Oh man, you don't even know what the word sycophant means do you?

In what way am I gaining advantage through this?  or do you just think that word means brown noser because you don't understand words.

1 minute ago, filpo said:

you know the 11th century? I'm guessing it was around 1066 since that was a pretty dramatic year for some reason

objection your honor Relevence! 

17 hours ago, LinusTech said:

If you're new to the channel, I understand why you might not know this, but we are extremely committed to improving our accuracy to the point where we are building out a $10M+ facility jam-packed full of equipment and engineering know-how. It's taking time, and this kind of aggressive expansion has been a learning curve for us, but to frame our recent actions as "sacrificing accuracy" is misleading at best. 

I don't understand how a $10M+ facility jam-, can help by blending in the right charts and do measurements correctly. 

In germany there is a old saying, "Wer viel misst, misst Mist"
On english its along the line: "Who measures the most, measures the most dung"

3 minutes ago, Legitsu said:

who the tf do you think you are

ah yes, 'who the the fuck do you think you are'

I hate how this forum (or thread at least) is slowly turning into reddit 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

4 minutes ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

What? Are you Linus's wife? This blatantly states how he can, in your opinion, get away with all this. Is that the point or is making LMG a better place and company that actual thing we want? Get your priorities straight. 😉

Correct they as a company want this to die down and go away and thats how I would do it. I can basically guarantee that in a month the community will be onto something else. This will be mentioned in passing if at all. The number of times people say things like this will kill YouTuber's and other content creators and couple years later almost no one remembers. The internet forgets, far more than it thinks it does.

What they needs is a plan to fix it (much of which was probably already in place) and time to act on that plan. Nothing LMG can do right now would fix or solve this. As GN said if there was another statement at this point would anyone think it was sincere?

20 minutes ago, Legitsu said:

here's some journalistic integrity for you

gn states that billet labs was made aware around the 11th

while billets own statment here: claims it was the 10th:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15rxni4/our_public_statement_regarding_ltt/?

which is it ? given that steves video was posted on a monday as I have said before that one day difference matters 

so what we expected to trust somebody that can't even remember what day it was ?: 

thats how many a court case has been lost 

Billot labs is UK, Steve is Eastern Time zone, LTT is Pacific Time zone.

There are a lot of hours in the day that are both the 10th and the 11th depending on time zones. There is 6-7 hours where its the 11th for Billet and its the 10th for LMG. 

Has there been a new response from anyone at LTT so far? (not counting the first one from linus)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard: B550 AORUS PRO AC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @3600MT/s | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe 1TB & Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB | PSU: Cooler Master V-Series V750 Gold V2 750W | Display(s): MSI Optix MAG342CQR - 1440p144 & 2x 1080p60 | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 | Keyboard: Logitech G815 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Sound: Logitech Z906 5.1 Sound System | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

This is a PR catastrophe unlike any other in recent history.

This is YouTube, we'll have another one of these before the end of August, just you watch.

Personally I have my money on the true crime channel Dreading going next. No reason in particular, just a hunch.

Just now, ForboJack said:

Has there been a new response from anyone at LTT so far? (not counting the first one from linus)

Linus has commented a few times in this thread, but nothing concrete or substantial, no.

I just wonder how big of a deal and how many videos and rants in the Wan show wouldn’t linus have done if someone who he sent a screwdriver prototype in good faith before releasing it to the public: 

1. released a video saying never to buy this screwdriver even if its not the finished product after they “tested it” by hammering nails.

2. didn’t return a needed and one-of-a-kind prototype.

3.Ghosted and didn't respond to emails asking for the prototype back

4.“auctioned” without permission as if the loner prototype was their property no matter where the funds go to.