I built this computer for Mark Rober

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

I  forgot how few some of the EPYC core counts can be. I think they go as low as 8/16? Crazy going from that all the way up to 64 or 16 cores to 128 on the newer platform. 

I think here is a problem

image.png.d5068f4538485c8283bdc11f3243348c.png

Iam pretty sure LTT screwdriver doesn't going cost only 0$ so is it deceptive pricing or something 

1 minute ago, Gokul_P said:

I think here is a problem

image.png.d5068f4538485c8283bdc11f3243348c.png

Iam pretty sure LTT screwdriver doesn't going cost only 0$ so is it deceptive pricing or something 

it's a "sign up for notice for when it's available page" not buying it 😛 

The 7XL has a vertical GPU mount thingy which also can be used to solve HBA cooling problem. Here's how i did it:
cooling.thumb.jpg.8e2c78874a6c02f2fcf7d667057b99f0.jpg

And, yes, the LSA 12-gig HBA will thermal throttle without cooling off. Ask me how i know... And, yes, i klnow that what i'm using is technically a RAID controller, not HBA - but i used HBA before and it was overheating as well.

Interestingly - i'm using the same motherboard and the same case but because i DO use it as a VM/Compute server as well - i went and bought EPYC 7742. Which is currently also pretty cheap on Ebay (like sub-900 dollars for 64 cores/128 threads, which is nuts!).

Main System: 2 x Intel Xeon Platinum 8268, 384GB DDR4 2933 ECC, 2 x NVidia 2080 Ti FE, 2 x Samsung Enterprise 3.2TB NVME PCIe Gen.3x8 SSD, custom water cooling.

Would be a good idea to detail the difference between breakout and reverse breakout SAS to SATA cables so people don't try to replicate adding an HBA and get confused why it's not working.

I'm not sure if I missed it or it wasn't mentioned in the video, but they never showed/explained how they're running the backup. At the begining of the video Linus said that there we'll be a minimum port conf...

IDK how latency critical the backups are, but I think the AMD Rome architecture, in my experience, struggles with this kind of workload. It's something they fixed improved in later iterations like Milan, but this is exactly the kind of machine I would avoid for a filestore with heavy Read/Write workload. I would personally consider either intel from the same time, OR upgrading to a *slightly* more recent architecture.

NB. I think this is fine if you're doing more operational loads, or anything with less heavy R/W.

Can someone explain why they didn't just use a proper commercial grade NAS? Building an unsupported DIY NAS for such a mission-critical function is asking for trouble.

I feel attacked.

16894561769965405286721901262979.jpg

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

10 minutes ago, Zeruel said:

I feel attacked.

16894561769965405286721901262979.jpg

Is this Shiit Audio? What combo of DAC/Amp are you using? I am on Modi/Vali but i think it's time for an upgrade...

Main System: 2 x Intel Xeon Platinum 8268, 384GB DDR4 2933 ECC, 2 x NVidia 2080 Ti FE, 2 x Samsung Enterprise 3.2TB NVME PCIe Gen.3x8 SSD, custom water cooling.

3 hours ago, tkitch said:

it's a "sign up for notice for when it's available page" not buying it 😛 

At least their not like EA where you have to pay for a notification

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 hour ago, Ikata said:

I'm not sure if I missed it or it wasn't mentioned in the video, but they never showed/explained how they're running the backup. At the begining of the video Linus said that there we'll be a minimum port conf...

afaik, they're using tailscale to connect the two servers over a vpn and then using TrueNAS replication to backup the data

4 hours ago, Kizune said:

The 7XL has a vertical GPU mount thingy which also can be used to solve HBA cooling problem. Here's how i did it:
cooling.thumb.jpg.8e2c78874a6c02f2fcf7d667057b99f0.jpg

And, yes, the LSA 12-gig HBA will thermal throttle without cooling off. Ask me how i know... And, yes, i klnow that what i'm using is technically a RAID controller, not HBA - but i used HBA before and it was overheating as well.

Interestingly - i'm using the same motherboard and the same case but because i DO use it as a VM/Compute server as well - i went and bought EPYC 7742. Which is currently also pretty cheap on Ebay (like sub-900 dollars for 64 cores/128 threads, which is nuts!).

What VM do you use? I want to try to do a VM for gaming with is own GPU and have Plex as well (I'm going to use unraid) but I'm still looking to see what might be the best option for me

6 hours ago, FarmMiner said:

Somebody has to make a meme out of this jank card that Linus put into Mark Rober's pc:
JankCard.thumb.png.ca0dedf39c3ef2ad950167f47a13ecf3.pngButItsMint.thumb.png.ca2413a6ed49af26751a63bd8d6fb3af.png

mint. like are segway to are sponsor.

mint mobile!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

7 hours ago, Im_Ben said:

Does anyone know what they used to sync the off-site backup?

That's what I'm wondering too unless Truenas has something to sync. 

8 hours ago, creatif said:

IDK how latency critical the backups are, but I think the AMD Rome architecture, in my experience, struggles with this kind of workload. It's something they fixed improved in later iterations like Milan, but this is exactly the kind of machine I would avoid for a filestore with heavy Read/Write workload. I would personally consider either intel from the same time, OR upgrading to a *slightly* more recent architecture.

NB. I think this is fine if you're doing more operational loads, or anything with less heavy R/W.

Would Intel be able to use as much ram? The features with that board you wouldn't be able to find for that price motherboard.

@LinusTech you made it sound like Mark would get Gigabit speeds if he brought the machine on-site and connected it using a LAN but the bottleneck for a full disk sync is gonna be the hard drives. Each one can maybe reach 10 MBytes/sec sustained (it'll be a little faster when the head is nearer the beginning of the drive, but slow down as it gets going). Not counting the 2 parity drives, 4 x 10 MBytes/sec = 40 MBytes/sec best-case throughput...

So don't bother bringing it on site, your internet connection is plenty. The ZFS L2 ARC cache might hide those numbers until the 1TB Sabrent reaches its limit.

6 hours ago, MrZablah said:

What VM do you use?

Ubuntu for computation and Mac OS X for mobile app continuous building system.

12 hours ago, GodAtum said:

Can someone explain why they didn't just use a proper commercial grade NAS? Building an unsupported DIY NAS for such a mission-critical function is asking for trouble.

I'm curious too. Is that for future proofing? Scalability?