I built this computer for Mark Rober

jakkuh_t
17 hours ago, GodAtum said:

Can someone explain why they didn't just use a proper commercial grade NAS? Building an unsupported DIY NAS for such a mission-critical function is asking for trouble.

5 hours ago, Greesha said:

I'm curious too. Is that for future proofing? Scalability? 

Just a quick note, Linus Tech Tips does PC builds, water cooling builds, teardowns, that kind of stuff.

If Mark Rober wanted to buy an off-the-shelf commercial grade NAS and stuff it with 20TB hard drives, that would be enough maybe to fill up a 30 second short?

21 hours ago, GodAtum said:

Can someone explain why they didn't just use a proper commercial grade NAS? Building an unsupported DIY NAS for such a mission-critical function is asking for trouble.

mostly because any proper "off site backup" tools made for business would likely add an extra 0 to the pricetag.  

And in the current open sourced alternatives, there are some that are very robust and reliable.

As long as there's proper notifications configured, and someone paying attention regularly (which you would ALSO do on a business-made solution, too) it will work just fine.

4 hours ago, tkitch said:

mostly because any proper "off site backup" tools made for business would likely add an extra 0 to the pricetag.  

And in the current open sourced alternatives, there are some that are very robust and reliable.

As long as there's proper notifications configured, and someone paying attention regularly (which you would ALSO do on a business-made solution, too) it will work just fine.

spot on comment!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I'd really like to know how they got the off-site backup working with truenas and tailscale. I tried to get this working at home and my issue is that the tailscale app runs completely isolated from the actual truenas system, and therefor has no access to the shares when you try to connect two systems together.

It's hard to explain, but if I remember correctly advertising routes/exit nodes don't work in this scenario because truenas itself has no idea that making a connection through tailscale is an option. Truenas can be connected to through tailscale because clients will be running tailscale and have the truenas system available to them, but truenas can't connect through tailscale on it's own to another system, because it is not running tailscale and therefor cannot see the other devices. (Hopefully I didn't butcher that explanation)

I only found one video tutorial that supposedly got this working, but it seemed to have a bit of a clunky workaround that did not work for me which was trying to install tailscale directly on truenas itself through the shell, which doesn't sound like a great idea.

22 hours ago, jd680 said:

Would Intel be able to use as much ram? The features with that board you wouldn't be able to find for that price motherboard.

Will they be able to use as much ram?

They're not going to be ram-limited with whatever they choose for this. I think they'd have a better time with just about anything in here: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/cores/cascade_lake_sp

And yes, there are 4.5 TiB configurations in there. But I doubt they need it? They're more likely to be read/write bound than memory bound.

I'll eat my shorts if they can regularly demonstrate a workload that maxes out that memory. 
What performance benefits are they getting over a 1TiB system beyond the first backup that's going to take them however long because, again, they're not memory constrained. 

On 7/15/2023 at 10:08 PM, Im_Ben said:

Does anyone know what they used to sync the off-site backup?

I am wondering the same thing. I was hoping they would go into a little more detail about that.

2 minutes ago, fritzmg said:

I am wondering the same thing. I was hoping they would go into a little more detail about that.

Right, I was hoping they would show that. Now I'm interested in Truenas backup like that. 

1 hour ago, agatong439 said:

Right, I was hoping they would show that. Now I'm interested in Truenas backup like that. 

Truenas can replicate a couple of different ways. It can send incremental ZFS snapshots to a remote host, or it can just rsync everything over using SSH. 

I was more irritated by the 1GB RAM/1TB storage recommendation. There is no rule of thumb for sizing these things. Performance is highly dependent on workload. For example, I'm currently running 512MB RAM/1TB storage with no issues. 4 remote users plus I use it for media streaming. Making a recommendation like this to the masses who will probably never require such performance isn't great.

11 minutes ago, eoo said:

Truenas can replicate a couple of different ways. It can send incremental ZFS snapshots to a remote host, or it can just rsync everything over using SSH. 

I was more irritated by the 1GB RAM/1TB storage recommendation. There is no rule of thumb for sizing these things. Performance is highly dependent on workload. For example, I'm currently running 512MB RAM/1TB storage with no issues. 4 remote users plus I use it for media streaming. Making a recommendation like this to the masses who will probably never require such performance isn't great.

"The baseline for RAM sizing is 1GB per 1TB of storage."

https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/download#:~:text=The baseline for RAM sizing,lower quantities are not supported.

Thats right from TrueNas guidelines.

Curious on the trend from them switching away from Unraid. I remember in a lot of their intel upgrade videos they were always installing Unraid on the machines. I am not too knowledgeable on the whole server OS software, but when I built my Plex server I went with Unraid because I heard about them on LTT.

3 minutes ago, knoll126 said:

Curious on the trend from them switching away from Unraid. I remember in a lot of their intel upgrade videos they were always installing Unraid on the machines. I am not too knowledgeable on the whole server OS software, but when I built my Plex server I went with Unraid because I heard about them on LTT.

Unraid is good for media servers that will grow in storage size incrementally.

TrueNAS is good for NAS servers that are setup from the start without the ability to easily add drives.

They have similar but different use cases.

Anyone have a build out list for this build?

On 7/16/2023 at 3:41 AM, Greesha said:

I'm curious too. Is that for future proofing? Scalability? 

Content.

There is zero content in buying a Commercial solution. Besides, LTT has done enough creator storage/NAS solutions that the final product is likely a step above what a typical DIYer would slap together.

I have a question for LMG though. Given their emphasis on the importance of off-site backups, have they considered establishing a server farm and setting up a "Second site" service for other Youtube creators? Yes there is FP, but talking about storing the raw footage, not a second hosting service for completed projects.

2 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Content.

There is zero content in buying a Commercial solution. Besides, LTT has done enough creator storage/NAS solutions that the final product is likely a step above what a typical DIYer would slap together.

I have a question for LMG though. Given their emphasis on the importance of off-site backups, have they considered establishing a server farm and setting up a "Second site" service for other Youtube creators? Yes there is FP, but talking about storing the raw footage, not a second hosting service for completed projects.

I don't think they want to compete with backblaze or other storage hosting companies.

1 hour ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Content.

no.

but wendell has talk about it.

can it be done  with set up both from hardware and software side.

unless i miss a update.

their has been no update on  him talking about it.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Question, I have the same CPU/MB combo and running TrueNAS on it. I can't seem to get the 10Gb nics working.FYI, they are connected to a 1Gb switch. Any ideas?

So I am curious about the two boot SSDs, my assumption is that those are just for redundancy? Also why so large? just cause they had them from Crucial? Does TrusNAS benefit from a 500GB boot drive? or is 120GB enough?

Also, the Nvme for L2 ARC, is that required? is there a size recommendation?

I am thinking of making a similar NAS for my self.  the 7302P is crazy cheap right now, and the "Supermicro Motherboard on eBay" link they put in the video is the H11SSL-i, which is PCIe gen 3 and doesn't have a Nvme slot, but it does have 16 SATA connections.  Does anyone have any experience with these SM boards?