Watch Dog's resolutions revealed.

deathjester

I'm just reading this for lolz, I don't care about all this shit, but, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the PS4 have an APU? "A slightly cut down 7870". That's about a R9 270, I don't think they would have to cut it down to 720p @30fps with that kind of GPU. I'm rocking a 7870, and it does everything just fine, better than current titles on the PS4.

They might have to cut back on quality because the CPU is a big pile of crap. It is horrendously bad.

Anyway, a 500 dollar PC could probably outperform these consoles. 30 fps at 1600x900 and what I assume is about the same as medium quality should be really easy. Just get the highest end APU or a low/mid range dedicated GPU and a ~100 dollar CPU.

Edit: and it's not possible then we could always just say frame rate and resolution are "just numbers", right?

I'm just reading this for lolz, I don't care about all this shit, but, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the PS4 have an APU? "A slightly cut down 7870". That's about a R9 270, I don't think they would have to cut it down to 720p @30fps with that kind of GPU. I'm rocking a 7870, and it does everything just fine, better than current titles on the PS4.

Yes the GPU is on the same chip as the CPU.

7870 has 1280 stream proccessors in 20 CUs

PS4 has 1152 stream processors in 18 CUs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_technical_specifications

I believe it is limited as they can't sustain 60fps, and they don't want to deal with tearing of 40ish FPS on a TV that refreshes at 60Hz. It's also at 1600x900 on PS4, not 1280x720 and will probably see an update that unlocks it at 1080P the way they did with AC4

Hey, a bit random, but I saw your signature, and you're rocking a 290 for a 4k monitor, how's that going? Is it decent? I'm thinking of getting a 290 and a 4k monitor as well :D

Ah well, i updated my sig the day before the monitor was due. then the morning of delivery, at 4am, Amazon mailed me to say that the monitors had been delayed until July (few of us in same boat :http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2051930/monitor-question-samsung-u28d590-60hz-early-adopt.html) . Apparently Samsungs fault (didnt make enough, or ship enough to UK and didn't let anyone know until daynight before), so still running on 1080p monitor at the moment. But if your interested in the single 290 benchmarks, look here:http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/msi-r9-290-oc-gaming-edition-review-1600p-ultra-hd-4k/

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

Not impressed at all that it's an APU. Those cores are anemic as hell and given that AMD doesn't have to make it a socketed design, the die area could be as big as they want it to be. Kaveri already has great graphics performance (R7), just limited by the DDR3 bandwidth; given that the PSU is bolstered by GDDR5 (probably a jumble of APU + GDDR5 modules everywhere), that kind of performance should be expected from their APU.

Pixel fill rates are the pixel fill rates for any membandwidth. Same goes for TRoops, or whatever else people use.

But the die area thing is a good point.

Strange that CD Projekt Red said this: (Which is interesting, but still these consoles are hardly "NEXT GEN" when they still run quite badly

""The final effect, whether it's 720p, 1080p--we had the debate in the studio about it and actually asked our tech guys to explain how it works, and they sent me some complicated graphs that 'if I have this size of the screen, and I sit one meter or two meters from it, then I might be able to see the difference.'

"It's more of a PR differentiation, which is very important for Sony right now--and they are using it, obviously--than something that is really meaningful to gamers."

http://www.shacknews.com/article/84488/witcher-3-dev-says-resolution-is-more-of-a-pr

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The thing that really bugs me is that it really is coming to the point where the consoles are just inadequate for their job.  It's alarming when Watch Dogs, a highly anticipated visual AND gameplay experience cannot be run at 60fps even with the resolution downgrades and low-level APIs of the consoles.  Ryse on the XBone was also 900p, 30fps.  The whole sub-1080p thing really isn't what bugs me, it's the fact that they can't get 60fps.  

The consoles were supposed to be good bang for your buck, the point was to mass-produce a single variation of hardware to cut costs and get optimization high, a weakness of PCs.  Instead we have a $500 piece of equipment that cannot do better then a $700-800 dollar PC that has more useful functions, cheaper games, and much better graphics.  Factor in the problem with console games not really being discounted heavily (I mean tell me when was the last time you saw a AAA game 75% off for a console), and payment for multiplayer and you have yourself a potentially MORE expensive piece of equipment.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

How can these people call this "Next Gen" when they can't equate to what PC could a few years ago... Ugh

Production Control, Fish Keeper, Lover of Audio

I don't care that other computing systems can play game at XXXX resolution. I care that they PROMISED us 1080p on the new consoles and did not deliver. Not even close to what they claimed in fact. It was dishonest marketing to sell systems and its frankly a disgusting (albeit common) business practice. 

This was genuinely my reaction when I read it

truth16.png

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

What's more worrying to me is that these consoles are expected to last until like 2020. I think I heard somewhere they might get a hardware upgrade along the way, even then it won't be enough. Given the current price of 4k monitors and how quickly they've dropped in the past year, I wouldn't be surprised to see them become a mid-high end standard by the end of 2015 or even earlier. By 2020, 1080p will look as outdated as 360p does now. With games still being designed to run well on consoles, the textures will be pretty disappointing and the overall design will suffer and when you try and run that at 4k (or maybe higher by 2020), it will just look like complete shit and despite over twice the pixel density, the console version might actually end up looking better because you won't have blurry textures and the like. Maybe that's their plan.

Which GPU?

HD 5770

It has 1,36Tflops like the XboxOne and also 10Gb/s more memory bandwith lol.

And the Ps4 is like an HD 5830 with exact 1,79Tflops.

My GTX670 OC has 3,27 Tflops and it's already 2 years old now xD

RTX2070OC 

So 792p...

What aspect ratio is that even?

Higher resolution is better, sure. But why using such an obscure number? Not enough horsepower?

It doesn't make sense to me.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

ahahahaha

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

30 FPS is playable and is fine. I doubt most people in here were always on the PC.

Yes it's playable, but a 2013 console should be capable of better performance. Especially when the entire user base is using the same hardware.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

900p/30 fps? This actually worries me a little bit for PC. Yeah, consoles aren't terribly powerful, but I kinda wonder if part of this is because the optimization is sub-par. This is Ubisoft, after all.

Anyway, for all the commotion over resolution, it's the 30 fps that really gets me. That's...kinda terrible.

900p/30 fps? This actually worries me a little bit for PC. Yeah, consoles aren't terribly powerful, but I kinda wonder if part of this is because the optimization is sub-par. This is Ubisoft, after all.

Anyway, for all the commotion over resolution, it's the 30 fps that really gets me. That's...kinda terrible.

watch dogs main platform is PC,and they ported it to consoles.

watch dogs main platform is PC,and they ported it to consoles.

We were also told PC was the lead platform for Assassin's Creed 4, and that game's optimization turned out to be quite messy.

We were also told PC was the lead platform for Assassin's Creed 4, and that game's optimization turned out to be quite messy.

we can only prepare for the worst,and hope for the best  :ph34r:

That 792p tho, it's 92 pixels more that normal HD!!... at 30fps... what is this? 2008?!? Pff Consoles peasants (Even though I have a PS3 and plan to get PS4 for JRPG exclusives :P:ph34r: )

Let me be your daily asshole real quick, it's not 92 pixels more, 792p has exactly 193536 pixels more than 720p, no need to thank :3

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

Let me be your daily asshole real quick, it's not 92 pixels more, 792p has exactly 193536 pixels more than 720p, no need to thank :3

yeah people often make this mistake. I see it alot on console and pc forums. 

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

yeah people often make this mistake. I see it alot on console and pc forums. 

It aint a shame, wasnt meant in a mean way :D

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

“Resolution is a number, just like framerate is a number."

They are, but its not like the graphics will be any better than those numbers on either console...