[Rumour] Switch 2 Dev Kit controller contains scroll wheels, patents corroborate

Urke145

Summary

A TSA agent came across what seems to be a devkit for the new Nintendo Switch, and the controller had scroll wheels next to the triggers. Nintendo's already has patents for exactly what OP was describing, giving credence to the claim.

Quotes

A Nintendo employee was reportedly carrying a prototype controller that had scroll wheels installed next to the triggers. We would normally reject this kind of absurd claim, but after a little digging we discovered that Nintendo do actually own the patent on this technology.

My thoughts

While it's still just a rumour, the story seems credible, OP did provide proof of their occupation, and thinking about possible uses for the scroll wheel (more easily swapping between weapons/abilities) it seems like a great addition if true.

Sources

Original Post: https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/642791354/

https://earlygame.com/gaming/next-nintendo-console-will-have-scroll-wheels

By having things on a prototype, it doesn't mean it will become a thing.  Sony's boomerang comes to mind.  It could be so they could test it out and figure that it's not great or practical (but it still remains in the prototype).

With that said, someone's going to be fired.  If someone asks for a private screening and the TSA officer openly talks about what was inside said contents, they must be violating some trade secrets conventions or something like privacy policy (just my guess)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

14 hours ago, NeverNotExhausted said:

Never mind making a console that can actually push a decent frame rate, or a modern resolution.

Give me more gimmicks!!!!

Given how the competitor struggles to even get 30FPS on last gen hardware I don't see how there's any point in performance anymore. Get a PC if you want games that look detailed.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

20 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Given how the competitor struggles to even get 30FPS on last gen hardware I don't see how there's any point in performance anymore. Get a PC if you want games that look detailed.

Hence why I have a good PC

I just wish I didn't have to resort to emulation to play Switch games at acceptable framerates and resolutions.

19 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

Oh god no. The horrific gimmicks they will come up with to try and use these.

Let's hope they don't make it to the end product. It's just going to make emulating one of these harder 😄

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Honestly, that sounds kinda neat. Would've been useful 3 console generations ago, when shooters decided to migrate to consoles and to stick with 2 weapons max. That made those games infinitely more boring. Having a scroll wheel for inventory management makes so much sense that I'm surprised modern consoles don't have them.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

This was actually known about and half-expected for the Switch back when it was still called the NX. Maybe they're giving it another go this time.

I feel like the Joy-Cons were a half-baked concept in general. I'd love to see what a more feature-rich rendition of the idea could be like.

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

On 7/12/2023 at 11:20 AM, wanderingfool2 said:

With that said, someone's going to be fired.  If someone asks for a private screening and the TSA officer openly talks about what was inside said contents, they must be violating some trade secrets conventions or something like privacy policy (just my guess)

US Customs once asked to see a phone belonging to a government employee that contained top secret data on it. The government employee worked for NASA I believe and was held up at the border until they unlocked the phone. TSA I would say is a bit worse as they are paid a crap wage and really don’t add anything of value, it’s just security theater after all. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

US Customs once asked to see a phone belonging to a government employee that contained top secret data on it. The government employee worked for NASA I believe and was held up at the border until they unlocked the phone. TSA I would say is a bit worse as they are paid a crap wage and really don’t add anything of value, it’s just security theater after all. 

The TSA is security theater at best. The irony is that foreign countries need security to keep out dangerous Americans, not the other way around.

I suppose the TSA is still an upgrade over letting the airlines run security and having airlines let stuff through and then the plane someone transfers to holding them up again.

I traveled, like once, when all this stuff started, and it was just disgusting, and was pretty much told not to travel with anything but clothes because the TSA will steal things. https://viewfromthewing.com/theres-a-rash-of-thefts-at-airports-and-almost-no-one-ever-gets-caught/

Air travel is disgustingly awful, that I just want them all to go bankrupt. I have not flown outside Canada in over a decade, it's miserable, and only getting worse. 

Travel by train, eg Amtrak, if you aren't in a rush. There is a market for trans-atlantic and trans-pacific travel by ship (not cruise ships) but they're difficult to schedule a trip around (search "cargo cruise") and cost about as much as an average hotel room per day.

At any rate... My guess is the TSA person is likely getting fired for breaking a privacy law.

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

Travel by train, eg Amtrak, if you aren't in a rush.

Im doing that on the 28th in fact. Im heading out to Colorado for a week and I was not going to fly under any circumstance. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.