Do you sometimes dislike the way technology is headed?

Issac Zachary
23 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

Until last month you could just rent the disk from netflix still. Then Rip it.

True, but I don't think it would have been legal to keep those copies since the law allows for personal backup copies to be taken for personal use, but it's not a backup anymore if you don't own the original. Since you were only renting it, presumably at a discounted rate compared to buying it, I wouldn't consider that ethically equivalent to owning a copy and ripping it (not that I necessarily consider it ethically wrong, that's a different topic, just saying it's in an entirely different ethical category to begin with).

28 minutes ago, micha_vulpes said:

the short of all this is, even if you own the disk... you dont own it.

True, if it's drm, it's not yours. That said, if you go through the hoops to rip it, it can be yours, even if it's a legal grey area. The hoops for ripping a blu ray are generally much more practical than the hoops required to decrypt a drm-protected digital download that you purchased.

On 6/24/2023 at 3:55 PM, Mark Kaine said:

false premise because they still sell phones with headphone jacks, so this is a *you* issue for not doing basic research. 

If you prefer iOS, you're screwed. You're forced to use an adapter on Apple's phones.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 hours ago, scrumptious starfruit said:

DVDs and Blu-Ray are better than nothing for sure, but they are far from what I would consider to be a great solution. They have high bitrate which is good, and since I physically own them, I'm not worried about them disappearing over time. That said, they require special hardware to play and can't easily be watched anywhere, so it's an unfortunate tradeoff. Ripping them is possible but not very convenient since it requires special hardware and software, and even then doesn't always work, eg I recently had a show which I ripped but one of the audio tracks fails to transfer properly due to a bug in the ripping software (there's not much choice in ripping software given it's kind of a legal grey area depending on jurisdiction).

What software are you using to rip your movies?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

If it has a prefix "smart", expect many headaches and eventual dependence. Get yourself an old TV, a DVD player, and a KaiOS flip phone. Also get yourself a System76 if you hate your Windows or Mac computer. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you prefer iOS, you're screwed. You're forced to use an adapter on Apple's phones.

but that is what i always say "if you don't like something, ie no headphone jack, denuvo, online only, etc,etc, do not buy it, especially when there are alternatives.  Apple is more a fashion product than anything anyways,  not that everything is *bad* but its typically overpriced and is missing standard features / connections... so don't like it? don't support it. 

ps: i mean i can understand personal preferences but there *are* alternatives typically.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

but that is what i always say "if you don't like something, ie no headphone jack, denuvo, online only, etc,etc, do not buy it, especially when there are alternatives.  Apple is more a fashion product than anything anyways,  not that everything is *bad* but its typically overpriced and is missing standard features / connections... so don't like it? don't support it. 

ps: i mean i can understand personal preferences but there *are* alternatives typically.  

The alternatives are forced. Regardless of anyone's opinion about Apple, if someone prefers iOS over Android for whatever reasons, they're stuck with using a Lightning to headphone jack adapter if they want to use earphones with a 3.5mm jack.

The trend is towards removal of it, and it will just keep getting worse unless there's stronger pushback. 

There is one smartphone my phone provider provides that has FM radio, and a lot of people say "don't ever get that phone" for many other reasons. Yes, there are alternatives: 1) an older phone with FM radio, 2) a separate device that has FM radio that you'll also have to stuff in your pocket, 3) an app that lets you listen to whatever FM stations are also on the internet. But all those have a lot of disadvantages compared to phones 10 years ago, when the latest Samsung Galaxy S series phones even had headphone jacks and FM radio.

And the situation is similar with the headphone jack. For an example, the phone companies that will update their phones for the next 5 years from launch are Apple, Samsung (with their Galaxy S series) and Google, but none of those phones offer neither FM radio nor a headphone jack. So it's a one or the other. I can either get a Google Pixel with 5 years of updates and a decent camera, or a Nokia G400 5G that has (at best) one more year of updates but at least has a headphone jack and FM radio.

So do I get the "terrible" Nokia smartphone with FM radio and call it a day or keep the Pixel 4a and buy an old Zune or something similar with FM radio and stuff that also in my already overbloated pockets? Or do I just go back to my ZTE Z320 Cymbal flip "dumbphone" with FM radio? Or do I just give up on FM radio? Or should I give up on cellphones? Cellphones bother me. People just call me to get things from me. No one ever calls me singing like Teresa Brewer nor with the latest local events going on in town. Or maybe it's time for a Facebook account and a Spottify subscription or rental or whatever you do with Spottify?

6 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What software are you using to rip your movies?

Who me? Rip a blu ray I legally bought with my own money? I'd never dream of doing such a thing, if disney says I shouldn't be able to watch the movie I bought from them while I'm on my flight, I'm sure it is for my own good and I wouldn't dare question that, I know they only want the best for me.

That said, I hear lots of people have great success with makemkv, the main thing to be aware of is that there are probably special hardware requirements, eg for 4k blu rays, only certain drive models work and you'd also have to flash special firmware to enable it. I hear it can be a bit involved so persistence and google-fu will be your friend.

1 hour ago, Issac Zachary said:

There is one smartphone my phone provider provides that has FM radio, and a lot of people say "don't ever get that phone" for many other reasons. Yes, there are alternatives: 1) an older phone with FM radio, 2) a separate device that has FM radio that you'll also have to stuff in your pocket, 3) an app that lets you listen to whatever FM stations are also on the internet. But all those have a lot of disadvantages compared to phones 10 years ago, when the latest Samsung Galaxy S series phones even had headphone jacks and FM radio.

And the situation is similar with the headphone jack. For an example, the phone companies that will update their phones for the next 5 years from launch are Apple, Samsung (with their Galaxy S series) and Google, but none of those phones offer neither FM radio nor a headphone jack. So it's a one or the other. I can either get a Google Pixel with 5 years of updates and a decent camera, or a Nokia G400 5G that has (at best) one more year of updates but at least has a headphone jack and FM radio.

So do I get the "terrible" Nokia smartphone with FM radio and call it a day or keep the Pixel 4a and buy an old Zune or something similar with FM radio and stuff that also in my already overbloated pockets? Or do I just go back to my ZTE Z320 Cymbal flip "dumbphone" with FM radio? Or do I just give up on FM radio? Or should I give up on cellphones? Cellphones bother me. People just call me to get things from me. No one ever calls me singing like Teresa Brewer nor with the latest local events going on in town. Or maybe it's time for a Facebook account and a Spottify subscription or rental or whatever you do with Spottify?

My phone has a headphone jack and FM radio and came to market around 4 years ago and has the latest android on it.

Its a Motorola and it runs on Lineage OS. There are ways to achieve what you want, but sadly it requires work.

On 6/23/2023 at 7:30 PM, Issac Zachary said:

I want my headphone jack!

Bluetooth hates me!

I recently got a pair of bluetooth IEMs. I really like how they sound, but after a few months of use the wireless aspect is more a point of concern than an advantage. Bluetooth inherently adds latency and the battery life already deteriorated to minutes instead of hours (bascially 10-20 minutes of listening before they're empty and the case doesn't store any additional charge anymore).

Where am I supposed to watch movies or get my music?!

This is a problem that only came up in recent years. Netflix was great, but only while there weren't really any other services. You got a great deal where you could basically watch anything you wanted for $10-$20 USD per month. Nowadays you need a new subscription for each different series you want to watch and the market is segmented in a way where you will not save money anymore.

I hate digital downloads and game subscriptions!

Digital downloads are a good change imo. Not having to take care of discs, always having a backup of your save files and the significantly more seamless online-experience are just a few of the many benefits.

Game subscriptions are pretty good value though and do make sense in some cases. I'm not a big fan myself, but i can see how users might get value out of them. So far they haven't been as bad as Netflix for example. But i'm talking about bundles like Game Pass, not subscription to single games like WoW.

Why can't they figure out a TV that looks good (to me)?!

Old games will always look better on older TV's because that's what the game's creators were using to make the game. Newer games will always look better on newer displays. And with the introduction of OLED we're back at the CRT input lag times, just with a lot better picture quality.

Am I too old fashioned?

It's completely normal to have more positive feelings about the things you grew up with. Change is generally scary because that's how our brains work. I personally try to always keep an open mind towards new technology but there is only so much you can do against the basic chemistry of your brain.

Other stuff.

I personally really like where cars are going, at least in so far that i personally like EV's. But the forced adoption of touch controls for everything are terrible imo. I really hope my A3 will run another 10 years so the manufacturers have more time to find out what works. I hope at least one brand will end up with a useable infotainment system.

Do you agree or disagree? Is there something in tech you don't like the way it's headed?

What i find worst in today's tech is the fact that the streaming market has so many competitors. This is a case where competition really hurts the consumer. That and the thing where they try to put EVERYTHING behind a subscription. (for example heated seats in cars or nintendo where you only have backup saves when paying their subription serivce)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 hours ago, scrumptious starfruit said:

Who me? Rip a blu ray I legally bought with my own money? I'd never dream of doing such a thing, if disney says I shouldn't be able to watch the movie I bought from them while I'm on my flight, I'm sure it is for my own good and I wouldn't dare question that, I know they only want the best for me.

That said, I hear lots of people have great success with makemkv, the main thing to be aware of is that there are probably special hardware requirements, eg for 4k blu rays, only certain drive models work and you'd also have to flash special firmware to enable it. I hear it can be a bit involved so persistence and google-fu will be your friend.

I use MakeMKV, and have had great success with it. I had to jump through hoops with ripping 4K Blu-rays with my Blu-ray drive though.

Edited by Godlygamer23

3 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I personally really like where cars are going, at least in so far that i personally like EV's. But the forced adoption of touch controls for everything are terrible imo. I really hope my A3 will run another 10 years so the manufacturers have more time to find out what works. I hope at least one brand will end up with a useable infotainment system.

There are things I like about newer vehicles, including EV's. I find how Tesla and Toyota have made motors that are both a permanent magnet motor, which works good for low RPM, and a reluctance motor, which works good at high RPM. The design is pretty genius. There are also many other things I love about the different EV's that are coming out. I also appreciate a lot of what has been possible with the internal combustion engine as well.

But yes, the forced adoption of touch controls I don't like. I don't like having to take my eyes off the road to change things on an infotainment center.

I'd also find it more practical if they'd make affordable not-so-tall station wagons as opposed to the popular CUV craze that's going on.

Cars also mostly look the same to me anymore. And it appears people prefer driving around grey bricks more than anything. Not that CUV's aren't practical or can't be fun for their owners. But they don't look like "buy me! I'm fun and practical!" to me. Sedans also all look mostly the same, and the same with hatchbacks and pickups. Not that I am going to buy one, but I like the Tesla Cybertruck because it looks different. The same with the Aptera, I love the design and hope they come out with something with a back seat at some point.

I also miss driving a manual, not because I like driving like a mad man, but because it gives me something I can do and be proud of. My last manual car had only 54 hp and I loved driving it. It seems that the emphasis now is on making cars fast and most don't have a stickshift. I don't like driving faster than the speed limit and I don't like taking off from a stoplight like a maniac. To me that's just immature, unless that acceleration is used on a track and not a public street or road. My Avalon has 200 hp and it feels overpowered to me as I never press the accelerator pedal all the way down. Yet, at least in the world of sedans, the main selling point they try to use is "buy this, it's more powerful than your car." But me: I want a family sized vehicle that is also fun to drive as per my deffinition of fun. And to me, driving a stickshift is fun. I don't like having to choose between a Mazda Miata or Nissan Versa and a Camry, although the Camry (which no longer comes with a manual transmission) would win as practicality for a family of four is more important.

32 minutes ago, Issac Zachary said:

I also miss driving a manual, not because I like driving like a mad man, but because it gives me something I can do and be proud of. My last manual car had only 54 hp and I loved driving it. It seems that the emphasis now is on making cars fast and most don't have a stickshift. I don't like driving faster than the speed limit and I don't like taking off from a stoplight like a maniac. To me that's just immature, unless that acceleration is used on a track and not a public street or road. My Avalon has 200 hp and it feels overpowered to me as I never press the accelerator pedal all the way down. Yet, at least in the world of sedans, the main selling point they try to use is "buy this, it's more powerful than your car." But me: I want a family sized vehicle that is also fun to drive as per my deffinition of fun. And to me, driving a stickshift is fun. I don't like having to choose between a Mazda Miata or Nissan Versa and a Camry, although the Camry (which no longer comes with a manual transmission) would win as practicality for a family of four is more important.

I also always liked manual cars more, and in Germany there is still an abundance of manual cars to buy. But nowadays i find automatic so much more relaxed to drive, which is part of the reason why i like EV's so much. That and the punch when you floor it. I don't really want or need top speed, even though we still don't have a general speed limit on the autobahn but i really like the burst of power they have to overtake a truck for example.

Nowadays i just want a car that can take me from point A to B in a comfrotable and economical manner and that's where EV's really shine. But alas, it wouldn't make financial sense to sell my already paid off A3 and buy another car that i'd need to pay off for the next few years just because i want a bit more comfort. My Audi is already way above the average car in terms of comfort. It's just the manual transmission that gets a bit annoying from time to time. (especially in traffic jams for example)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I also always liked manual cars more, and in Germany there is still an abundance of manual cars to buy. But nowadays i find automatic so much more relaxed to drive, which is part of the reason why i like EV's so much. That and the punch when you floor it. I don't really want or need top speed, even though we still don't have a general speed limit on the autobahn but i really like the burst of power they have to overtake a truck for example.

Nowadays i just want a car that can take me from point A to B in a comfrotable and economical manner and that's where EV's really shine. But alas, it wouldn't make financial sense to sell my already paid off A3 and buy another car that i'd need to pay off for the next few years just because i want a bit more comfort. My Audi is already way above the average car in terms of comfort. It's just the manual transmission that gets a bit annoying from time to time. (especially in traffic jams for example)

We did own an EV for a year, a 2013 Nissan Leaf. We sold it after needing a tow truck from the range cutting down to a mear 25-30 miles in the winter (compared to about 90 miles in the summer). I do think our next vehicle will be an EV, but for reasons other than supposedly being more fun to drive. While I thought I'd like the instant torque it turned out I wasn't as impressed by it as much as I thought I would be. You push the pedal and it goes, just like any other car. Having the torque ramp up a few milliseconds earlier doesn't really change the feel all that much for me personally. Modern cars also feel too heavy, as far as cornering is concerned, and EV's are even worse.

Obviously there are places where a manual transmission would be a pain, like in traffic jams. But out in the country where I live there usually aren't any traffic jams unless you get stuck in a herd of cattle. And everyone's prefference is different. Some people can't stand to drive a manual, and I respect that.

I'm with you as far as not getting another vehicle while the one I have works. I plan on keeping the Avalon for as long as possible. Once it's too expensive to keep running I'll look into getting something else. But if that day were today there isn't a single car out there right now that screams "Buy me! I'm exactly what you want!" even if cost weren't an issue. A manual transmission Toyota Camry (or similar) station wagon EV would be a dream come true. I suppose even if the manual transmission were a fake, simulated "transmission" I'd still enjoy it, although a smaller, less powerful EV motor with a two speed manual transmission that needs to drop down a gear at lower speeds to have enough torque to accelerate acceptably and then switch to the higher gear to drive at highway speeds would be plenty fine with me.

Hey! I can dream, can't I?

Well, here I go again. I'm going to go ahead and try Spotify for my first time.

To be honest, I liked Apple Music when I tried it. The main thing that turned me away is I feel I don't listen to enough music to justify the cost. At that price I can buy a CD every once in a while and have more than enough music to listen to. But there are some songs I can't get on CD, but I can on Apple Music. On the other hand, there are a couple songs I couldn't find on Apple Music.

Sadly, the easiest way to get all the music I could ever want is to just pirate it. But I don't like pirating, so let's hope Spotify works out.

Well, this isn't going well. I keep getting errors when trying to create an account or log in on Spotify, and I have no idea why. This is on a Google Pixel 4a. I've tried rebooting the phone.

I miss Google Play Music. Why did they have to ax that?!

If I can't get Spotify to work, I don't know what to try next. I find I use my phone less and less for listening to music. In my mind I'm wondering if I should go with Apple Music, or just buy some CD's and rip them, or just stop listening to music all together.

I dislike how disposable everything feels in the tech world nowadays. As the price of devices lower and repairability is sacriced, computers get thrown in the garbage much faster. And with things like the practice of buying a new phone every year and that sort of thing...

Many of the computers I use are perfectly good systems people have thrown out just because "Old puter need new" - they work absolutely fine and are fast enough for most people. In fact, I end up selling a ton of systems I've pulled out of the trash - it's sad how recent some of the stuff is. 12th gen Intel and Ryzen laptops... all completely functional. 

On 6/26/2023 at 11:29 PM, Caroline said:

Can't ignore the fact practically all modern TVs come with shit smart features, and are made to break within 5 years, while also being not worth to repair due to their size, cracking open anything bigger than 32" comes at the risk of cracking the brittle panel in half, if you can even get the cover off without shattering the corners, it's just not worth to repair most of those.

And that's why I got a CRT, also because I don't really download anything in HD so the resolution is just fine to me, I'm not that picky.

Similar to what I was talking about, planned obsolescence is a huge issue. 

All of my monitors are 20-year-old CCFL-backlit LCDs, stuff that would've cost thousands new but was free from the side of the road. Easy to service, great colors, won't break if you sneeze near it like modern panels do.

4 minutes ago, da na said:

I dislike how disposable everything feels in the tech world nowadays. As the price of devices lower and repairability is sacriced, computers get thrown in the garbage much faster. And with things like the practice of buying a new phone every year and that sort of thing...

Many of the computers I use are perfectly good systems people have thrown out just because "Old puter need new" - they work absolutely fine and are fast enough for most people. In fact, I end up selling a ton of systems I've pulled out of the trash - it's sad how recent some of the stuff is. 12th gen Intel and Ryzen laptops... all completely functional. 

Throwing out 12th gen Intel! I just built my desktop with 12th gen Intel this year because my second gen Intel desktop kept crashing and having USB issues and I tried fixing it but couldn't figure it out. If I wasn't having so many issues with the ol' desktop, I wouldn't have built a new one. I did use a few parts off of the old one like the hard drive. It makes a great backup drive.

Ok. So I got Spotify figured out. I had Spotify blocked on my DNS router. So this was my fault.

I see I can download songs, so that will be nice for areas without internet coverage. But I think that's only possible with the Premium trial.

I think Spotify will work with HTML and CSS coding in Spacehey, so that's nice.

I didn't notice podcasts in Apple Music, but it's nice to see them in Spotify. I can just use Google Podcasts, but there's no knowing when Google will ax that idea, because... Google. However, I love that I can download the actual video. Unless I'm missing something. Google Podcasts is audio only. So if I want to listen to the WAN show but then there's a "Look at this everybody!" coming from Linus then I just have to try to imagine what he and Luke are talking about. So that's even better than Google Podcasts!

But will the $10 per month be worth it? I guess I'll try it for a while and see. It seems to have more stuff than Apple Music, like the podcast and CSS abilities, so maybe it's worth it. 

On 6/26/2023 at 2:13 AM, Issac Zachary said:

So do I get the "terrible" Nokia smartphone with FM radio and call it a day or keep the Pixel 4a and buy an old Zune or something similar with FM radio and stuff that also in my already overbloated pockets?

If you're in the US, a used Zune HD is one of the cheapest ways to get a portable HD Radio tuner. (Aside from doing it in software with an SDR dongle, that is.) They don't have a ton of onboard storage by today's standards, but they're physically small and their capacity is irrelevant if you've got your phone for playing MP3s.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, Issac Zachary said:

Ok. So I got Spotify figured out. I had Spotify blocked on my DNS router. So this was my fault.

I see I can download songs, so that will be nice for areas without internet coverage. But I think that's only possible with the Premium trial.

I think Spotify will work with HTML and CSS coding in Spacehey, so that's nice.

with a free application called ClipGrab you can download and save youtube videos as MP3/WAV files if you want to listen to music

LoL Oof. I feel some of the same way!  

On my short list:

Bruh: l1k3 th1s iz t3h n3w wy 2  uze EnGlIsH 'n stuff.

OmFg. NO!Just no stop. Just stop you're making my head hurt. That typing style goes farther back then their dads  receding hairline. In old 'hacker' BBS's it was used to make fun of posts. Often at people that read hacker crackdown or wired or 2600 waaay to much. I don't know the exact time it started as a way to raz, or heckle at a post that was trying to hard. When in reality "hacking" was tedius, risky, and boring. It wasn't until people got deslusional (i'd guess early 2ks maybe?) and thought they were a bigger thing then they were,I'd guess about when hardcore scene groups started up. But I simply don't know for 100% sure.

WTF is twitspeak a thing when you might have a perfectly fine full sized keyboard. I had a teacher who told TAs if they get that from a student to first read the paper to the class using a literal reading so El 1 k 3 tee h one s.  blah blah blah blah. On a repeat offence:  LRN 2 TYPE THN: RE:SUBMIT 4 CRDT!! when 60% of of the class had  to: do make up work for a braindead, were you at least comatose 1 page paper. I cringed.

StOp BeIng Old!! Em DoT 2 Drives R TeH Future 'n stuff.

NOT.  look they're hear, and trendy, and maybe they'll grow into being a replacement for oldschool mechanical drives. But not yet anyway.  I like my spinning platters for price for how much space you get.  I'm using a 5 year old hard drive that's been 2 computers for my linux iso's. I have a second one for games, and what ever else.  It was a christmas present, and is 2x the space at half the cost of a m.2drive.

Y u no like hiding "ugly" cables 'n stuff? 

Probably because  they don't bother me, per say. but give me the color coded cables so I know what's going where, give  me a glorius jack pollock, melted gold medel rainbow sorbets of colors so I can trace a cable to where it goes, without them %&@!* blending together!!!. I want the inside of my case to look like something from a rave party at Meow Wolf. I want to see: Sata cables are S is for Saffron is for Sata.  neon Green is G for GP %&@!* U! etc.  I want to pimp slap the next %&@!*  that %&@!* about seeing cables and them all %&@!* black!!! 

BuT WiThyOut Leaches -  sponsors 'n stuff how we make money go BRRR?

By not overly relying on those %&@!* scum %&@!*  bags?   Look we all like free %&@!*. I get it that some youtubers don't always return %&@!* that was on loan to sell.  Not all of us sold our soul to google (yet). and  the %&@!* add in %&@!* station of %&@!* everywhere is %&@!* pissing me off! give me that website with <blink><marquee>WELCOMETOAWSOMECO9000SELLYOURDOG, SELL YOUR KIDS, HELL ANY, ANY AAAAANYTHING THIS SUNDAY, SUNDAY SUUUUUUUNDAAAAY NOWAT%&@!* RADTASTICTESTICLEFIRESAWESSOOOM CO!!! YOUR ONE STOP SHOP FOR ALL THE %&@!* YOU WANT AND NONE YOU DON'T!!! </blink></marquee> just about any day over " and now an add for squarespaceridgenordmansppn!!

%&@!* fragile phones and the drive to quark thinness.

Give me a thick %&@!* brick phone that can double as a blunt weapon, and door stop. with 90bajillion hours of troll your friends time    batterytime. that when it falls out of a pocket i'm not thinking %&@!*%&@!*%&@!*%&@!*%&@!*%&@!*%&@!* their goes a 600 dollar investment.  Give me a wickedlyawesome value phone that can play music, get calls, take pictures, and maybe that's about it? I'm %&@!* over the %&@!* likes of even linus  %&@!* about the camera before getting into how %&@!* bad %&@!* is the phone side: realkeyboard, can people get your calls in "less than ideal" ie where many people not in a big %&@!* city like san francisco or seattle live.  give me the phone where I might text my self a grocery list. then go for a walk sporting the battletoads nes theme, and maybe something derpy  from cindy lauper, or tangerine dreams. have so %&@!* battery left as to be %&@!* funny.  i mis my samsung galaxy 2 with a zero lemmon 99999 quintaseptizlliongugleplex* 3 alephs of battery use. give me my %&@!*  palm trio or crackberry. real mother %&@!*%&@!* keyboard didn't do much, but YAR rocked so hard at what they did do.  Give me a motorla dynatec  with TTY built in, and some large amount of range. I genuinely don't know much. but metrick but ton!

12 hours ago, Caroline said:

Yes that's.... what podcasts are. Audio.

The only two podcasts I listen to are also YouTube videos. I used the WAN show as an example, which is also on Google Podcasts.

I don't have time to sit and watch a 4 hour episode of the WAN show every week. I can listen to the podcast. But it sure is nice to be able to breifly grab my phone and turn on the screen and see whatever it is they're talking about in the video and then turn back off the screen and keep listening to the rest of the podcast.

If watching the video is a requirement for watching the WAN show then I'm not watching it.

I think modern technology is amazing, that said I don't like how everything is becoming cloud based. It just means that in a few years, much of the software I paid for won't work, as the server is gone.

I'd like to see a resurgence in games that have a "work offline" mode in the PC space.