Do you sometimes dislike the way technology is headed?

Issac Zachary

I want a smaller phone. All screens are getting bigger. I want a small pocketable device. I just "upgraded" to a pixel 7 from the 5 and I hate that it is bigger.

That's a complaint I have had for years and it just gets worse.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

As long as it's faster and not completely closed off like Apple or Tesla I'm fine.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

45 minutes ago, ewitte said:

As long as it's faster and not completely closed off like Apple or Tesla I'm fine.

But somethings aren't necessarily better or faster, at least in all aspects. Like Bluetooth that has more lag and worse quality and is forced on us by phone manufacturers. Not that all phones don't have a 3.5mm headphone jack, but the ones with 5 years of updates all do.

Older equipment would have a good toggle switch, mechanical and can be felt, not looked at, while now you need to press 3 or 4 times on a screen to get the same type of thing to switch on or off.

Our caravan has that for switching the water pump on. The old one didn't even have a switch, simply plugging the pump in on the side of the van was enough. Admittedly if the outside water tank ran dry you had to go out and unplug the pump but why not a simply toggle switch inside instead of pressing so many times on a screen?

I guess one thing that makes me kind of sour with newer tech is that better tech is more expensive. I mean, take displays for an example. I currently have an LCD display for a monitor/TV. I can get another for dirt cheap, but with a lot of the same LCD problems such as glowing "blacks" and noticeable motion blur. Sure, there are ones a bit better, but they cost more and are still LCD with the same LCD problems I already have. I'd love to get an OLED, but the cheapest monitor that satisfies my list of wants is apparently almost $1,000. Ouch! And since I use my computer for reading text there's the question if W-OLED or Q-OLED would be clear enough since neither type of OLED has standard RGB subpixels. And then there's the burn-in concern. So, I guess I just keep the LCD screen I already have, which I don't like, because there's not anything that I like enough to justify the cost.

I guess I'm just sour and frugal.

I am looking forward to nano-LED technology though. Hopefully it will be as great as promised.

On 6/23/2023 at 1:30 PM, Issac Zachary said:

I think we have better luck with good ol' free ATSC TV than trying to figure out what's subscription services have the movies and shows we like.

ATSC 3.0 is adding DRM in to the mix. For people like me that use Plex to watch and record OTA TV this means I will have to ensure I have a working internet connection because you will need to download a license to record / watch recorded content, when the license runs out then you can do shit. It also limits transcoding as well. Not to mention you probably cant just copy the file to an external disk and watch in VLC. On top of the fact 4K will never come to broadcast TV. They can use the extra bandwidth for data transmission and thats what broadcasters intend. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

49 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

ATSC 3.0 is adding DRM in to the mix. For people like me that use Plex to watch and record OTA TV this means I will have to ensure I have a working internet connection because you will need to download a license to record / watch recorded content, when the license runs out then you can do shit. It also limits transcoding as well. Not to mention you probably cant just copy the file to an external disk and watch in VLC. On top of the fact 4K will never come to broadcast TV. They can use the extra bandwidth for data transmission and thats what broadcasters intend. 

By "good ol' ATSC" I was referring to 1.0. 3.0 is another thing I don't like how it's going. As far as I've read only TV's have been able to decode the DRM thus far, and recording will be limited in some way we don't know yet, perhaps making it impossible to use with Plex.

Just now, Issac Zachary said:

As far as I've read only TV's have been able to decode the DRM thus far,

Well I dont think most TV's have tuners for 3.0. So you would need an external box or wait for a TV with a proper tuner. The FCC set July 2027 as the date when broadcasters can kill off the 1.0 broadcasts. 

2 minutes ago, Issac Zachary said:

and recording will be limited in some way we don't know yet, perhaps making it impossible to use with Plex.

I read that transcoding at least the audio would be impossible. If the device doesnt support the codec you're screwed. From what I have read also, not many devices support it yet.  My current setup I have two transcodes and some times it has to do audio. Also recordings are going to have a time limit. They will have a license that expires after a certain period of time. 

6 hours ago, Caroline said:

I believe NewPipe frontend had a setting to turn videos into podcasts, that is, play the audio alone and if you want to watch something then you could return to the window and set it to video. Try that.

Yes, Vanced was highly more popular but a) it's dead, and b) it required a rooted device, so I go on recommending NP to people.

Invidious has that capability too, just click on the headphones icon and it'll play the audio:

image.thumb.png.e50010a41ec56113314cb1e31464cbfa.png

Though I don't know if this is possible in mobile devices, as I said I don't have a smartphone, so I can't try. It's a peaceful life.

New pipe is still around and you still can listen to youtube  and not it turn off because the screen is off (#@?!§%& google #@?!§%&)

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Well I dont think most TV's have tuners for 3.0. So you would need an external box or wait for a TV with a proper tuner. The FCC set July 2027 as the date when broadcasters can kill off the 1.0 broadcasts. 

I read that transcoding at least the audio would be impossible. If the device doesnt support the codec you're screwed. From what I have read also, not many devices support it yet.  My current setup I have two transcodes and some times it has to do audio. Also recordings are going to have a time limit. They will have a license that expires after a certain period of time. 

As far as I this guy says, the only ATSC 3.0 tuner boxes out there are not DRM compatible. The only things that have been certified for DRM on ATSC 3.0 are ATSC 3.0 TV's. So like you said, not many devices support it. But the intent seems to make it impossible to see the broadcast over any type of internet, including Plex.

On 6/29/2023 at 1:26 AM, Caroline said:

For me it's never worth it, but it's not like I have a consoomer chipped brain with the moral compass aligned to consoom. In my world RIAA can suck it and the billionaire music producers won't bankrupt because of me downloading an mp3 file for free ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I download music from YouTube,

The music get's officially uploaded to YouTube and i download it straight from the source.

Every YouTube video has a download button:

image.png.bcd62dc4cd95828647085115aa82537f.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Well, I can't find all the music I like on Spotify. Apple Music has some that aren't on Spotify, like the album Wild Horse Analogy by Opus Moon.

16 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I download music from YouTube,

The music get's officially uploaded to YouTube and i download it straight from the source.

Every YouTube video has a download button:

image.png.bcd62dc4cd95828647085115aa82537f.png

I've never seen the download button on YouTube. Where is it?

1 minute ago, Issac Zachary said:

Well, I can't find all the music I like on Spotify. Apple Music has some that aren't on Spotify, like the album Wild Horse Analogy by Opus Moon.

I've never seen the download button on YouTube. Where is it?

image.thumb.png.856c1fdb7ff7b2cee833ec42088d403b.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

25 minutes ago, Vishera said:

image.thumb.png.856c1fdb7ff7b2cee833ec42088d403b.png

I see it now! But I click on it and asks me to start a free trial of a premium membership. I also don't have YouTube on my phone right now (Pixel 4a).

1 minute ago, Issac Zachary said:

I see it now! But I click on it and asks me to start a free trial of a premium membership. I also don't have YouTube on my phone right now (Pixel 4a).

It's part of a subscription but you can cancel the subscription later on and it costs less than buying music CDs.

23 hours ago, Issac Zachary said:

But somethings aren't necessarily better or faster, at least in all aspects. Like Bluetooth that has more lag and worse quality and is forced on us by phone manufacturers. Not that all phones don't have a 3.5mm headphone jack, but the ones with 5 years of updates all do.

I'm not a fan of wireless in general but I'm ok with a USBC adapter for 3.5mm headphones.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

17 hours ago, Issac Zachary said:

As far as I this guy says, the only ATSC 3.0 tuner boxes out there are not DRM compatible. The only things that have been certified for DRM on ATSC 3.0 are ATSC 3.0 TV's. So like you said, not many devices support it. But the intent seems to make it impossible to see the broadcast over any type of internet, including Plex.

What I have supports ATSC3.0 and DRM but there are more steps to get it to work outside of the manufacturer's own software.  Plex is struggling to develop and support what they already have.  Luckily it is a 1.0/3.0 tuner, so it records both.

20 minutes ago, ewitte said:

I'm not a fan of wireless in general but I'm ok with a USBC adapter for 3.5mm headphones.

I just got one for my wife this week but it seems to have already stopped working. 🙁

18 minutes ago, ewitte said:

What I have supports ATSC3.0 and DRM but there are more steps to get it to work outside of the manufacturer's own software.  Plex is struggling to develop and support what they already have.  Luckily it is a 1.0/3.0 tuner, so it records both.

Tyler the Antenna Man seems pretty upset about ATSC 3.0 DRM encryption.

1 hour ago, Issac Zachary said:

I signed the petition linked in his latest video. The broadcasters shouldn't be allowed to encrypt stuff on public airwaves. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I signed the petition linked in his latest video. The broadcasters shouldn't be allowed to encrypt stuff on public airwaves. 

When I was a kid all we had was public broadcast TV.

Nowadays I see this trend that if you want something in tech now you have to petition the government for it. Pitiful.

So, it's movie night, and we thought we'd watch a movie on iTunes, since that's about the only place we can get the movies we like in the languages we like without a VPN or pirating or something similar.

This is what movies look like on iTunes nowadays. And I've gotten ahold of Apple twice about this. And months later it's still not working!

PXL_20230701_045051990.MP.jpg

12 hours ago, Issac Zachary said:

This one is pretty annoying all we can do is keep pushing back.  Fortunately, it doesn't affect anything yet.  The problem is they picked a licensed codec for ATSC 3.  Really, I don't know why they even encrypt it nobody is ever going to pay for OTA.  If they want to offer something like HBO or a premium movie channel that I can understand, just encrypt those specific channels.   But encrypting everything will prevent adoption...

8 hours ago, Issac Zachary said:

When I was a kid all we had was public broadcast TV.

Nowadays I see this trend that if you want something in tech now you have to petition the government for it. Pitiful.

I'm in tech generally I just find a way around it not always "legal" but generally "lawful".  "Legal" is the enslavement term where they trap you into agreeing to arbitrary rules through the confusion and mindless followers pushing the "I do this, so should everyone else" rule (I see the same mentality letting homeowners associations get away with pretty much anything).  The trap was in motion while the ink was still drying on the constitution.  People need to stop petitioning, realize they are the boss, and start demanding in mass.  And fire anyone in office that breaks the rules.  So sick of joking about politicians lying, cheating, and stealing but not doing anything about it.

On 6/25/2023 at 4:00 PM, wanderingfool2 said:

SNES would draw to the CRT line by line, as CRT's effectively have an electron gun that sweeps across the screen.  There was still some delay, but overall the delay was pretty small and the frame is only as delayed as it takes to draw all the lines on the screen.

Modern TV's expect essentially an image to display, not a line.

For modern systems like Switch, when playing SNES games they use an emulator, which still then has to effectively emulate the same rendering line by line...so they usually have a buffer that they are storing the rendered image in and then when they reach the last line they have the image, in about the same timing as the original console did...but now they have to actually send it; which at that stage it means you send it to the TV which has latency.

So in essence you are taking the original time it took to render and adding on the new modern latency of the TV (which usually don't have great refresh rates).

My personal dislike, modern games using client based physics calculations on things like location.  I liked it better when the servers would also run the calculations preventing people from cheating as much.

Would it be possible run such a of set data stream with modem LCD/oled tech.

Polygons? textures?  samples? You want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough Vram.
Hey heads up I  have writing disorder I try my best but still make errors. 

2 hours ago, ewitte said:

don't know why they even encrypt it nobody is ever going to pay for OTA.

People do pay for OTA content however. They are known as your cable and satellite TV provider. The encryption is to stop services from grabbing the signal and reselling it to consumers because many times these services dont have agreements with the broadcasters. Many of these services have been shut down over the last few years. So the broadcasters solution is punish the people who are following the law.