Goodbye Anthony, Welcome Emily!

Lord Szechenyi

Emily got more hair than they previously did. Feels weird. 😅 (also jealous since I'm slowly losing mine...)

I'm sure they will face a lot of backlash, like Chris did. But here's wishing they do well and can somehow look past the hate on the cesspool that is social media. Just have to see the comments on that video... Horrible people.

Just let others do whatever they want with their lives, Emily coming out as trans doesn't personally affect our lives in the slightest. Like at all. Yet these people act like it's the end of the world or something.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Jon-Slow said:

Sending love.

Also, @Lord Szechenyi I would suggest editing the post and the title to remove the deadname.

I'll leave it to those involved to confirm if that's appreciated or not, but It seems to me a reasonable title when it's about the introduction. People need to know what it's about. 

15 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

I'll leave it to those involved to confirm if that's appreciated or not, but It seems to me a reasonable title when it's about the introduction.

Those involved have been telling everyone for ages that when they change the gender of their name; saying or mentioning their deadname by others is deadnaming. Even if they themselves do refere to their past self or mention the deadname in context, it's not for others to do so.

People need to know what it's about. 

I count on people to recognize the person in the video without having to read their deadname. No one's going to suddenly not recognize Emily from this video just because the deadname isn't in the title.

with respects.

Emily talks about struggling with depression, anxiety and self image. Unfortunately, this seems to be a common theme amongst trans folks. The world can be hard on people, and people can be hard on themselves. Finally coming to terms with who you are, have been all along, is a massive step. It might push some people away, but that's also just revealing how things have always been, rather than changing how things are.

I I always enjoyed Emily's work and I hope to see more of it in the future, if she's inclined to do so.

3 hours ago, Jon-Slow said:

Sending love.

Also, @Lord Szechenyi I would suggest editing the post and the title to remove the deadname.

Emily posted the link to the video on her Twitter alongside the words "Where has Anthony been lately??". Even though it's clear everyone here is trying to make Emily feel welcome, with something as personal as this it might be best to avoid backseat driving for the person involved as much as possible. Last thing we need is stirring up unnecessary drama where there is none.

Perhaps it might be the best to delete this discussion entirely, to prevent drawing attention away from the substance of the message and focusing it on the form.

33 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

Those involved have been telling everyone for ages that when they change the gender of their name; saying or mentioning their deadname by others is deadnaming. Even if they themselves do refere to their past self or mention the deadname in context, it's not for others to do so.

I count on people to recognize the person in the video without having to read their deadname. No one's going to suddenly not recognize Emily from this video just because the deadname isn't in the title.

with respects.

trans people are not a hive mind. In this context, mentioning her previous name seems completely relevant and justified. I'm sure if it's a problem then it could be sorted, no need to get offended on behalf of someone you don't know, especially since there are actual hateful comments on the video, seems silly to get upset with someone being positive about the whole thing

I came out last year as trans and I hope she gets the same benefits of greater understanding and self belief that I did from it.

My workplace and family have been supportive.

Reaching out to any local groups is always my advice.

The YouTube comments are even more vile than normal on her video. At least that means they're all self-reporting. The trash really does take itself out sometimes.

PC Specs:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700
  • CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML120L RGB V2
  • Mobo: MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX
  • RAM: 32 GiB DDR4-3200 TEAMGROUP T-FORCE Delta RGB
  • GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1080 Mini
  • Storage:
    • Boot: Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 SSD - 1 TiB
    • Mass Storage: 2 TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case

25 minutes ago, RavenholmZombie said:

The YouTube comments are even more vile than normal on her video. At least that means they're all self-reporting. The trash really does take itself out sometimes.

Must have been shared on some trolls nest of a group or two. I thought a small video on a personal channel would be OK. It did not take me long to realise how wrong I was and stop.

Luckily for me in real life in the UK most people are either supportive or indifferent. I went to a car meet today (sat in a ferrari roma) where I talked about cars and with one lady about skirts and tights as well as cars lol. 

The difference for me is so much confidence and some care in my appearance. I got the drive to loose weight for myself and I'm down 54 pounds and in close to the best shape of my life.

7 minutes ago, Meaker said:

The difference for me is so much confidence and some care in my appearance. I got the drive to loose weight for myself and I'm down 54 pounds and in close to the best shape of my life.

good on u

13 hours ago, Jon-Slow said:

Sending love.

The title is entirely appropriate, for several reasons.

First, it is helpful to anyone who doesn't know anything about the person in question and who they were before their decision, so it is providing relevant information.

Second, the person in question uses their "dead name" multiple times, including on other social media, which implies they are not at the point yet where the use of their old name offends them...if it ever does.

I would suggest that the thread title is reasonable because of these two reasons alone.

10 hours ago, Jon-Slow said:

with respects.

as a transwoman, in this situation it depends on the person involved not for us to decide.  it really depends on context and if there is malicious intent for outside influence to be stated 

I really hope the bigotry from the comment section of the video will not leak to the main channel when she eventually will appear on camera. Otherwise there might be a need to create a whitelist system to leave comments to their channels that requires linking their LTT-forums account to their Google account to whitelist them.

I remember that recently a semi-popular YouTube channel implemented a whitelist system that requires the users to submit a request for comment access via Discord because of the terrible bot filtering of YouTube. I'd hope the barrier to entry will be so high that the bigots will be few and makes the comment section easier to manage.

19 minutes ago, Permik said:

I really hope the bigotry from the comment section of the video will not leak to the main channel when she eventually will appear on camera. Otherwise there might be a need to create a whitelist system to leave comments to their channels that requires linking their LTT-forums account to their Google account to whitelist them.

I remember that recently a semi-popular YouTube channel implemented a whitelist system that requires the users to submit a request for comment access via Discord because of the terrible bot filtering of YouTube. I'd hope the barrier to entry will be so high that the bigots will be few and makes the comment section easier to manage.

If Linus and company do start to seriously consider shadowbanning comments/commentors, this may be a good use for it. Overall it seems the response is positive which is nice to see.

43 minutes ago, Permik said:

Otherwise there might be a need to create a whitelist system to leave comments to their channels that requires linking their LTT-forums account to their Google account to whitelist them.

i don't think it's a good idea to punish potentially millions of people (15.5m subscribers on the main channel) for the comments of an extremely small minority.

while i understand the point of you making the suggestion, it is ultimately a very narrow focus, the current tools available to delete comments would still be better. LTT already gets a hard rap from people thinking they censor and delete criticism, can you imagine what would happen if they enacted this?

"LTT IS TRYING TO PREVENT PEOPLE FROM CRITICIZING THEM UNLESS YOU HAVE A FORUM ACCOUNT SO THEY CAN BAN YOU FROM BOTH PLATFORMSSSSSS!!!!!!"

Given the comments are still public on the above linked video, Emily may not care that much about them. Maybe she knew these comments would come and already prepared for it. Maybe she doesn't care about them and just wants to do what she does.

The less you care about what other people think of you, the happier you will be.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

So happy for Emily and the largely positive response she's been getting!

Hope she's back to hosting videos soon.

My only thoughts on this is I hope Emily has an easier time than some of my trans friends.  I just know how trans people are being made scapegoats for all that is wrong with the world vs. actually fixing the issues like housing being totally unaffordable.

I also look forward to seeing Emily again when she is ready to be seen, as I get some people choose to make their journey public and for others they need to keep it private for their mental health.