Goodbye Anthony, Welcome Emily!

Lord Szechenyi
3 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

😞  I'm just saying as a transwoman I've been where she is /was.   All of us have.   THAT SAID you are right.  This is not a transgender support forum.  I'm just going to put it out there.   

Emily I am trans.  If you want to talk trans stuff I'm open to it. 
I also am acquainted with / know of transpeople in your area you may want to talk to.  

Nothing you are dealing with is new, and you are not alone.   

Still missing my point. I was trying to say that asking whether someone is (going to) loose weight is very personal and insensitive unless they have themselves said so specifically and in public. Regardless of what it might relate to. I also know that not all "bigger" people are fat, just like thin people aren't anorexic or athletic by default.

Genetics matter, so assuming that weight has any relation to this change is going beyond general courtesy. I don't argue that such wouldn't be part of things, just like depression or other mental health issues might be brought up in relation. But those are very personal things.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Still missing my point. I was trying to say that asking whether someone is (going to) loose weight is very personal and insensitive unless they have themselves said so specifically and in public. Regardless of what it might relate to. I also know that not all "bigger" people are fat, just like thin people aren't anorexic or athletic by default.

Genetics matter, so assuming that weight has any relation to this change is going beyond general courtesy. I don't argue that such wouldn't be part of things, just like depression or other mental health issues might be brought up in relation. But those are very personal things.

I get that I really do.  You are correct.  I was just trying to throw some support her way.  Transwoman to transwoman. 

Sadly this is going to be a problem and this is  only the start.  People tend to ask transwomen about their bodies in VERY invasive ways.  They ask about weight (high or low) this surgery, that surgery, this medication or that.  Judging even our very right to be in various spaces based on how we look.  Such is the reality of being trans.  This forum can and should protect from that.  Not all will.  Emily will have to be strong. 

There is a reason so many public transwomen are kinda well.  "Ironclad ______" s    Gotta have armor to be trans. 

On 5/28/2023 at 10:30 AM, Jon-Slow said:

Sending love.

Also, @Lord Szechenyi I would suggest editing the post and the title to remove the deadname.

as a point to your "deleting deadname" i think personally it should stay for 2 reasons.

1. its actually saying goodbye to the deadname

2. it can help people (like me) who didnt realise she changed her name and came out find out where "athony" went and who Emily is (looking at the apple games porting video i was like "wait Emily looks familiar" and thus ended up here after searching for the deadname 

On 5/28/2023 at 1:15 PM, Jon-Slow said:

Those involved have been telling everyone for ages that when they change the gender of their name; saying or mentioning their deadname by others is deadnaming. Even if they themselves do refere to their past self or mention the deadname in context, it's not for others to do so.

ive always personaly seen it as a person by person thing, and situational, like obviously if i refused to call Emily by her chosen name and called her by her old name that is deadnaming 100% but as stated its saying goodbye to the old and pointing out the new, and as i said on another post it can help people who might not be 100% active in the forum find out what happened to "anthony" and who this Emily is (see the latest video on LTT) and as far as I know nothing has been said on the LTT channel about the change (unless it was mentioned on the mac world channel or whatever its called or in a podcast episode)

7 minutes ago, quickhakker said:

ive always personaly seen it as a person by person thing, and situational

yeah, the past, now and future. that will still be a part of the person and to get to the new person one wants to be. if its body, mental, addictions, to identity.
It would be weird to see the future if one could recreate oneself to any new version of themselves, like 3D printing a new body or identity. which would be much further away, and that some older versions or identites to be recognized/documented, so long it doesn't lead to abuse/targeting.

Happy for Emily and wanting Emily vids as the old vids are some of my fav recent LTT content. Cant wait for great new totally way to in depth content explained so well.

I couldn't care less. 

What I mean is: Good for them. Support them. Happy for them. I only care about the content and value they bring as after all, that is what it is all about. About their individuality is another thing and a bonus but we are not "entitled" to as such, like them explaining their story/reasonings behind it or looking for any form of approval/validation.

yes, I missed their content. They are fantastic and hilarious but entertaining too and provide such valuable content to us! Whatever works for them and whatever makes them happy, why are we to judge them? 🙂

When I saw todays video I made a snide comment. I am going to share it here but there needs to be a conversation about why I said the comment I did and why in todays climate as a Canadian conservative I have no problems with Emily.

My comment: "Emily?.....uhhhh.....Hi Emily. Welcome to the LTT team. I sincerely hope you keep working at the company. I would love to see more of you."

Like most people(I assume) I saw it as a gag. A tongue in cheek thing Linus does from time to time. So I started searching to see what people where thinking and I saw the video that Emily made on her channel.

It is an absolute shock. A slap in the face to hear this is real. Any honest human being would say the same. But that doesn't mean it is a bad thing. It doesn't mean Adults can't be free to live life. It's just a shock.

I'm not going into politics but I feel like The vast majority on each side can sit down, talk and easily fix the world. It's the crazy people on both sides who make every human being on earth look bad.

I am glad Emily is back. My brain is still melting from how much courage and strength it would take to do this. Adults can do anything they want. Emily and LTT are going to take heat from this but it's senseless. People tied up and roped into politics so deep that they demand adults not be allowed to be free. That's how I see it. Live life and be free. 

Props to Linus for convincing Emily that it's time to get in front of a camera. 

PEACE

I heard about that a while ago.  I don’t remember where.  Personally I could care less.  The thing was always about what they do not who they are. Emily still knows her shit.  There ends my interest.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, smmmokin said:

Props to Linus for convincing Emily that it's time to get in front of a camera. 

PEACE

Takes a lot of guts to say you were wrong about something.  

IMHO Emily needs to be in front of the camera and realize part of being a woman is people will judge looks in a much more intense way.  At the same time TO HELL WITH THE ONES DOING THAT.  Odds are most of them are just average themselves.  As a woman, any kind of woman,  If you look one way you get one kind of bad remark.   Look another way a different kind of "compliment" .   Be brave Emily.  Be brave.

I am not a frequent contributor to the forum, but I'm a regular channel viewer. Saw my first video with Emily today and wanted to send some love. 

Although I don't have any relatable experiences, I was compelled to let you know (and Linus, too!) that giving her all the support she deserves means A LOT, and I'm forever a fan of LTT for supporting her.

Cheers to being your own self Emily. Life is short, live it to the fullest so you can truly be happy.

Not something I personally believe in, but best of luck in your future Anthony!

Jude 1:23

And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

2 minutes ago, MidnightStars said:

It may not be something you believe in, and that's OK, but it is respectful to use a transgendered person's preferred pronouns and name. In this case, Emily.

"Anthony" is now considered to be a "deadname", the use of which is considered poor taste and can be very offensive.

Please don't view this as an attack on you or your beliefs, rather as an attempt to educate you on the assumption that you are simply unaware and didn't mean to offend.

Just now, Emily35 said:

It may not be something you believe in, and that's OK, but it is respectful to use a transgendered person's preferred pronouns and name. In this case, Emily.

"Anthony" is now considered to be a "deadname", the use of which is considered poor taste and can be very offensive.

Please don't view this as an attack on you or your beliefs, rather as an attempt to educate you on the assumption that you are simply unaware and didn't mean to offend.

My intent is not to be malicious w/ using the person's original pronouns or birth name. If he so wishes to be called Emily, change it in court, and I will call him Emily. But to me, he will always be a male, it's the reality I believe in. I'm not making anyone else believe in that, and I won't let anyone else force me to believe theirs.

And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

Just now, MidnightStars said:

My intent is not to be malicious w/ using the person's original pronouns or birth name. If he so wishes to be called Emily, change it in court, and I will call him Emily. But to me, he will always be a male, it's the reality I believe in. I'm not making anyone else believe in that, and I won't let anyone else force me to believe theirs.

How do you know that, she hasn't done this?

And again, it's not about forcing my beliefs onto you.

Rather, it is about you not forcing your beliefs onto Emily.

It doesn't hurt you to use her pronouns and new name.

The same way it doesn't hurt me to say thank you when my mums religious friends say "God bless you" to me, a person who believes in Atheism so much I got it tattooed on myself.

It's called respect and it goes two ways.

1 minute ago, Emily35 said:

How do you know that, she hasn't done this?

And again, it's not about forcing my beliefs onto you.

Rather, it is about you not forcing your beliefs onto Emily.

It doesn't hurt you to use her pronouns and new name.

The same way it doesn't hurt me to say thank you when my mums religious friends say "God bless you" to me, a person who believes in Atheism so much I got it tattooed on myself.

It's called respect and it goes two ways.

It would be akin to saying another form of religious greeting that I do not follow.

Also, fair point--I was going off experience with others that I know haven't officially changed their name. I can get by with calling him Emily.
And no, it won't physically hurt me to say it, but it would be "going along with the flow." It would be yours or Emily's belief's being force onto me.

Respect is treating Emily like any other human being, and not discrediting the things he says and does.

It is not disrespectful to not believe in the things he wants or claims. If he wants to believe he's a woman now, that's up to him and whoever chooses to believe that. But it's something I fundamentally cannot. He's still a brilliant guy and performs experiements or analyzes things at a very high level, and I'll always respect that.

11 minutes ago, MidnightStars said:

It would be akin to saying another form of religious greeting that I do not follow.

Also, fair point--I was going off experience with others that I know haven't officially changed their name. I can get by with calling him Emily.
And no, it won't physically hurt me to say it, but it would be "going along with the flow." It would be yours or Emily's belief's being force onto me.

Respect is treating Emily like any other human being, and not discrediting the things he says and does.

It is not disrespectful to not believe in the things he wants or claims. If he wants to believe he's a woman now, that's up to him and whoever chooses to believe that. But it's something I fundamentally cannot. He's still a brilliant guy and performs experiements or analyzes things at a very high level, and I'll always respect that.

Emily has always been Emily. It's you that's got new opinions, based on "new" information, to you.

Just now, turns2stone said:

Emily has always been Emily. It's you that's treating her differently based on "new" information, to you.

?
Emily went by Anthony before. Now he's Emily. Emily's still the great genius he's always been, how am I treating him different from before?

36 minutes ago, MidnightStars said:

I don't understand people who go and say this stuff out loud, or even think.

"I don't personally believe in a person existing" is such an unhinged thing to say. 
They exist, they are right in front of you, treat them like the person that they ARE. 

It is not akin to religion

Just now, MidnightStars said:

?
Emily went by Anthony before. Now he's Emily. Emily's still the great genius he's always been, how am I treating him different from before?

Because you can't give her the respect you showed before, by addressing/referring to her in a way that she prefers.

5 minutes ago, MidnightStars said:

Look at it another way, is your name REALLY MidnightStars and are you REALLY a photographer?

What if I disagree with your choice of camera and believe that only people who use X brand of camera can really call themselves a photographer?

I accept that you have chosen to be identified here as MidnightStars and that you are a photographer and I will refer to you as such, not because of my beliefs, or yours, but because that is who you have stated you are.

If you didn't know that Emily was transgender, how would you address her?

3 minutes ago, Emily35 said:

If you didn't know that Emily was transgender, how would you address her?

Risk misgendering until corrected and not think about it before or after. 
Previously I used context clues and misgendered her as him. Now I have been corrected/given new/more valid information and will move forward with her. There is no shame here unless one continued with the intention to misgender a person given the new information.  

4 minutes ago, MidnightStars said:

?

Because she has ALWAYS been she.

She just hid that part of herself from the world, partly at least in fear of discrimination and rejection.

The exact thing you are doing, whether you intend it that way or not.

Anyways, I didn't pop in to keyboard-battle with some trolls. I just wanted to say "I support you Emily" and I'm glad LMG does too. Emily you've got lots of bravery and earned support from people you'll never meet IRL, but admire your courage. 

Cheers all.