Are we spoiled by HD?

Mooshi

I have already fallen to being a slave to HD since November 2008 when YouTube began to support 720p videos.

Personally, I don't much see the point of waving around the pixel density e-peen. For videos, 720p is more than enough. 1080p is outstanding. 

Resolution doesn't matter if the bitrate is crap though. Bitrate determines the quality of each frame. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

4K seems awesome, but it will have the same story as 1080p, the enthusiast class will be early adopters(That one friend we have that always has the newest tech), but the general public will hold off until we see the pricing be a bit more realistic.

Yep.

Back when I got this display, the thought of an LED Backlight 1080p IPS monitor was unheard of at reasonable prices..now you can find those for 300 dollars and less. Shoot, this monitor uses a form of the VA panel and has CCFL lighting..was around around 600 dollars or so back in early 09.

what would be crazy actually if oculus ships with a 4k display, that would be some intense shit, and hopefully the new alien game would support that resolution.It would make for a great scarefest

HD is the definition we need. We don't need no 4k or higher res, 1080p is perfect and clear and great to look at.

This sentence automatically made me think fuck you and you thread...

K, don't let the door hit you on the way out. :3

I thought people would be smart enough to tell the difference between "console gamer" and "console fanboy" - evidently not.

Meanwhile I'm here playing at 1050p while watching 1080p videos on a 1024p monitor.

GG

I haven't really experienced HD pc gaming yet because im a member of the 1600x900 master race. And i only run native rez.

But when my dell ultrasharp arrives i suspect i'll be spoiled shortly after that. And want 4k

I've got a 1080p tv but since the programs are not broadcasted in HD i don't really count that as the full experience.

It bothers me that multi billion dollar companies sometimes don't broadcast 1080p, someone mind explaining this to me?

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

Console fanboys need not apply, 720p is not serious beans. And 1080p is pretty standard now.

So, the question. Do you feel like we're too accustomed to 1080p that it doesn't feel all that special anymore? I remember years ago when 1080p was the buzzword of the week and HD channels as well as TVs were being marketed to death. Looking at where we are now, I feel 1920x1080 no longer feels like "HD", if anything, I kinda feel like it's standard def. Or what I consider standard these days.

This kinda bothers me in a way because my monitor is dying and I'm actually having second thoughts on quality replacements because they are 1920x1080 natively, my current monitor has a res of 1920x1220 - dat 16:10 I could get a generic Korean 1440p monitor, but I'm not sure if I'm very comfortable dropping 400 dollars on a risk with a crappy stand and limited inputs...LG, Samsung, Dell..release 2560x1440 monitors at reasonable prices already so i don't have to ship something from Korea. - This isn't even getting into 4k which is on a whole other plane of existence all together.

So what do you guys think? Does 1920x1080 feel too normal now?

Yes HD feels normal and I am really looking forward to buying a 4K monitor when the prices go down, even if I can't game on it (with my current GPU). I have grown so accustomed to Full HD in the last 5 years that looking at a sub 1920x1080 screen (mostly laptops) gives me headaches.

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

I tried playing TF2 in 720p on my 1080p monitor and it wasn't too bad actually. I could deal with it.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I watched the original star wars trilogy on vhs on a 19inch tube tv this past friday, I really didn't think it looked all that bad, I mean it was far from bluray quality on my computer but it was still just fine to watch. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

It bothers me that multi billion dollar companies sometimes don't broadcast 1080p, someone mind explaining this to me?

If they can make an extra dollar by making it a premium service. They will. It's that simple  -_-

I have to pay about $5 extra for 4 HD channels if i want them.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

only consoles I've played in 1080p are PS3 so I've never experienced PC play in 1080p sadly :(

That PS3 didn't actually play in 1080p. It played in upscale 720p

I would say, YES we are getting spoiled. Thing is, it's not a bad thing. Technology is getting better and for computers that we have close to our eyes and that we read things from we want sharper images. 1080p has become a standard. Lots of TV stations are still in 720p though. For the computer world, more pixels is a very good thing. Clearer images is always better.

This sentence automatically made me think stuff you and your thread...

K, don't let the door hit you on the way out. :3

I thought people would be smart enough to tell the difference between "console gamer" and "console fanboy" - evidently not.

Come on guys, we don't need anyone fighting with each other.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

TV stations around here are still showing 576i TV shows (though SOME channels with monthly subscription do show 720p shows), and here I'm stuck with a 1280x1024 monitor. I'm playing games in 1280x720 because it has to be widescreen nowadays or else it looks awkward.

Oh, and I have the only Full-HD TV in my house and I barely watch TV at all (the rest 2 TVs here are 576i CRTs or something).

So let's just say that I have no experience what 1080p really looks/feels like, and I'm not (too) spoiled by HD (480p looks like mush to me, but I can cope with it).

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

to answer the question in the title.... go to any random youtube video and manually change it to 140p (no not 1440, 140p) and watch it fullscreen.  Then ask yourself if you are spoiled by HD.  The answer is most definitely a resounding YES.

I recently moved and due to special circumstances my only net for now (maybe several months even) is cricket 3g through my blackberry 8350 wifi hotspot..... it can barely do 140p youtube, and that's when it's working at all.  This has most definitely awakened me to how truly high quality video has become in the last few years with 1080p finally becoming the truly ubiquitous norm.

Then I ask myself.... would I want more than 1080p? only with h.265 compression (twice as efficient as h.264 and 1080p standard)... and not really yet. Eventually, it will be good but until this whole net debacle that is coming to a head with comcast and the like.... 1080p h.265 is a very happy place indeed.

As for the rest?  Gaming can be 1080p, they need more detail behind the pixels which needs better more efficient programming and better video cards (more power efficient and higher power, mantle et al is a good step in the right direction) before things should go beyond 1080p for gaming as a standard IMO.

Desktop resolution?  Yes please, I want 4k just so I can put many more open windows on one monitor and not have to have a pile of monitors hooked up to my PC to multitask without hiding windows behind eachother.

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-

Pretty much.  I can't stand anything under 2560x1440.

4k and higher please.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

I agree that people have lost their appreciation for 1080p now. But what makes me enjoy the content more is pixel density, which is what really matters here. This is the reason why I don't think we'll go much further than 4K in terms of resolution on the desktop side of things. A 27 inch 4K monitor has a dpi of 160, which when viewed from more than 50 cm away (which is typical sitting distance from a desk), you cannot distinguish individual pixels.

If we went to 8K resolutions on a 27 inch monitor you would only have to be 25 cm away from the display to be able to notice any pixels, which is a little too much to be honest. 8K will come to televisions though to bring the pixel density up, and we'll start to get 60-70 inch TVs as the norm. But I think we will stop at 4K with monitors, or perhaps increase the resolution by an extra 50%. 5760x3240 anyone? :P

Beyond that there's no benefit to increasing desktop resolution.

We just need higher bitrate videos now to keep up with the resolution! The worst thing is watching a 1080p youtube video with a bitrate of less than 14Mb/s...

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

I still have a CRT TV, so yea, you're spoiled

(but I have a 27" 1440p monitor that's baller)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.