AMD Rant

35 minutes ago, Montana One-Six said:

Did you use DDU before switching? Because it kinda sounds like driver issues that come from not removing nvidias drivers properly.

DDU in safe mode.. all drivers and windows 11 are up to date, OS runs off of an ADATA 1Tb PCIE gen 4 NVME M.2 SSD.. 

Games are loaded from either my 2TB Crucial P5 Plus Gen 4 NVME / WD 1TB Gen 3 NVME 

Or WD BLACK 4Tb // 12Tb 7200RPM gaming HDDs (games are stored depending on usage, size and age)

GPU - Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX GAMING OC // CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3950x // RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600 Mhz 64GB DDR4 // MB - ROG STRIX X570E GAMING // PSU - Be Quite Dark Power Pro 12 1200w // Case - Phanteks P400A RGB (Mesh) // Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum // Display - LG QNED 86 (MINI LED - 120Hz - 4K) // Mouse - Corsair Dark Core Pro SE // Keyboard - Corsair K57

5 hours ago, Sean-98 said:

DDU in safe mode.. all drivers and windows 11 are up to date, OS runs off of an ADATA 1Tb PCIE gen 4 NVME M.2 SSD.. 

Games are loaded from either my 2TB Crucial P5 Plus Gen 4 NVME / WD 1TB Gen 3 NVME 

Or WD BLACK 4Tb // 12Tb 7200RPM gaming HDDs (games are stored depending on usage, size and age)

complete FUD.

DDU can make things worse!

I have a used stop-gap: 6600 and after help from this forum getting the io plate straitened out (litteraly). I took put my previus card (1660), and put the 6600 in. The 6600 runs fine (gogo gadget 50 Fips over 25!)

Can try googling the specific issue (black square in Farcry 2).

In my not so humble opinion the single bigest issue is the complete (expletive deleted) in the (expletive deleted) cost and size of both relivant GPU makers. Amd's golden child 6800xt is only "better" because the (expletive deleted) 4070 and up are so (expletive deleted) expensive.

18 minutes ago, Gork said:

complete FUD.

I don't think this guy knows what he is talking about.

DDU is an extremely useful tool that has worked well for millions of PC owners for as long as I can remember. Pretty sure its been around at least a decade.

If it caused issues then influencers like Linus, GN, Jay, Hardware Unboxed, ECT. Wouldn't recommend it the way that they do. Its literally one of the first things they suggest when troubleshooting GPU issues.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

2 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

I don't think this guy knows what he is talking about.

DDU is an extremely useful tool that has worked well for millions of PC owners for as long as I can remember. Pretty sure its been around at least a decade.

If it caused issues then influencers like Linus, GN, Jay, Hardware Unboxed, ECT. Wouldn't recommend it the way that they do. Its literally one of the first things they suggest when troubleshooting GPU issues.

I wouldn't put much stock in, but I digress, so anyway, here's the plan, we have a box to put all our pc (expletive deleted)  in. I digressed er I meen Jay says.  And if you watched the video you know, that 'internet wisdom' about the odd instinct to start with DDU first  Is just wrong. Hell, i'm proof. up to  about 3 weeks ago I had a GTX 1660. I litterally took that one out, and put in a RX6600. I didn't run DDU when I switched GPU maker brands.

4 hours ago, Gork said:

complete FUD.

I have a used stop-gap: 6600 and after help from this forum getting the io plate straitened out (litteraly). I took put my previus card (1660), and put the 6600 in. The 6600 runs fine (gogo gadget 50 Fips over 25!)

In my not so humble opinion the single bigest issue is the complete (expletive deleted) in the (expletive deleted) cost and size of both relivant GPU makers. Amd's golden child 6800xt is only "better" because the (expletive deleted) 4070 and up are so (expletive deleted) expensive.

I've have spent MANY hours on google and forums trying to fix my issues and no luck..

I don't believe DDU can make anything worse as all it does is delete all drivers and file in relation to the previous GPU and its mostly to avoid conflicts with any program that uses the GPU. The fact you didn't use DDU and everything worked fine for you means either you got lucky of DDU isn't always necessary but I wouldn't say it ever makes anything worse.

GPU - Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX GAMING OC // CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3950x // RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600 Mhz 64GB DDR4 // MB - ROG STRIX X570E GAMING // PSU - Be Quite Dark Power Pro 12 1200w // Case - Phanteks P400A RGB (Mesh) // Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum // Display - LG QNED 86 (MINI LED - 120Hz - 4K) // Mouse - Corsair Dark Core Pro SE // Keyboard - Corsair K57

1 minute ago, Sean-98 said:

I've have spent MANY hours on google and forums trying to fix my issues and no luck..

I don't believe DDU can make anything worse as all it does is delete all drivers and file in relation to the previous GPU and its mostly to avoid conflicts with any program that uses the GPU. The fact you didn't use DDU and everything worked fine for you means either you got lucky of DDU isn't always necessary but I wouldn't say it ever makes anything worse.

At this point, have you checked if its not just a faulty card that should be rma'ed?

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

5 hours ago, Gork said:

Amd's golden child 6800xt is only "better" because the (expletive deleted) 4070 and up are so (expletive deleted) expensive.

Slight correction - current AMD Golden Child is the RX6950XT which sells like it's free, not the 6800XT. LAst 10 systems i build over the last 2 months 9 have RX 6950XT and one has a 4090 in it. People don't even mention Nvidia now when they want a new GPU/PC, let alone the flop the 4080 and 4070 are. Especially here in EU where 4080 is sometimes DOUBLE the price of a 6950XT. All of the EVGA fans i know (me including) moved to AMD. Nvidia really messed up forcing them out.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

8 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Slight correction - current AMD Golden Child is the RX6950XT which sells like it's free, not the 6800XT. LAst 10 systems i build over the last 2 months 9 have RX 6950XT and one has a 4090 in it. People don't even mention Nvidia now when they want a new GPU/PC, let alone the flop the 4080 and 4070 are. Especially here in EU where 4080 is sometimes DOUBLE the price of a 6950XT. All of the EVGA fans i know (me including) moved to AMD. Nvidia really messed up forcing them out.

Yh I'm kinda annoyed that i keep seeing deals for 6000 GPUs and AMD seem to only be advertising the 6000 series and not their new flag ship.. I'm guessing AMD also still make 6000 series cards but even if they don't i don't see why they are pushing their last gen harder than their current.. is getting rid of old stock that import compared to shifting current gen?? they had a deal on just after i bought mine and it was; get a free copy of the last of us part 1 - that was only for 6000 cards...

5 hours ago, Gork said:

complete FUD.

MUST ? I'd say probably not.

It's only a good practice to do, especially since doing it doesn't take a lot of time & easy to do.

And since PC troubleshooting can be quite a arse due to the sheer amount things that could possibly be of fault. One will want to eliminate possible cause starting from the easiest to do.

And that preventing a possible problem is better than fixing problem.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

DRIVER UPDATE - still no change of my issues tho... i guess i can forgive if they are fixing other bugs and improving performance and stability in other areas.. adding better compatibility to older games would be great! Obviously I'm no expert but my best guess would be a type of "driver skin" which allows older dx9 era games see the card as an older GPU with custom specs to match the card and a simple skin rename to make the game see it as the GPU it is with obviously a few compatibility tweaks to ensure it doesnt crash given the extra features like RT cores etc... but i know nothing about this and am probably completely wrong.

WAIT - after giving it another try i managed to get past the very long intro to FC 2 BUT just as i was trying to create a save file so i wouldn't need to worry about that long intro....... IT CRASHED.... i was sooo close! it was really struggling but i was happy to just be in the game but the intro is so long and you can only save at the end of it.... what got me that far was disabling windows vista compatibility mode which isn't what people recommend but it helped in my case but it still has issues.

I also tried Alan Wake remaster after the driver update and no change there.. It was crash and my screen will have a very strong blue tint and flicker... if left too long it will cause temporary burn in (on a MINI LED display??)

1 hour ago, DeerDK said:

At this point, have you checked if its not just a faulty card that should be rma'ed?

not really sure how i could or how to fully prove it.. i think they would just say that because it still runs other games fine that there is no issue BUT i do think its over-volted because when the default performance mode is enabled it can cut out on high demanding games hitting max temp or going lounder than anything i have ever head before (i am not joking) its loud enough to drown out my headset at full blast! when I under-vault it, it becomes so much better! no where near as loud and i can lose between 5-10 frames depending on the game etc but its the only way anything is playable..

14 minutes ago, Sean-98 said:

DRIVER UPDATE - still no change of my issues tho... i guess i can forgive if they are fixing other bugs and improving performance and stability in other areas.. adding better compatibility to older games would be great! Obviously I'm no expert but my best guess would be a type of "driver skin" which allows older dx9 era games see the card as an older GPU with custom specs to match the card and a simple skin rename to make the game see it as the GPU it is with obviously a few compatibility tweaks to ensure it doesnt crash given the extra features like RT cores etc... but i know nothing about this and am properly completely wrong.

WAIT - after giving it another try i managed to get past the very long intro to FC 2 BUT just as i was trying to create a save file so i wouldn't need to worry about that long intro....... IT CRASHED.... i was sooo close! it was really struggling but i was happy to just be in the game but the intro is so long and you can only save at the end of it.... what got me that far was disabling windows vista compatibility mode which isn't what people recommend but it helped in my case but it still has issues.

I also tried Alan Wake remaster after the driver update and no change there.. It was crash and my screen will have a very strong blue tint and flicker... if left too long it will cause temporary burn in (on a MINI LED display??)

Again, are you sure it's not a faulty card? 

Edit: sorry, didn't see your answer. 

1 minute ago, Sean-98 said:

not really sure how i could or how to fully prove it.. i think they would just say that because it still runs other games fine that there is no issue BUT i do think its over-volted because when the default performance mode is enabled it can cut out on high demanding games hitting max temp or going lounder than anything i have ever head before (i am not joking) its loud enough to drown out my headset at full blast! when I under-vault it, it becomes so much better! no where near as loud and i can lose between 5-10 frames depending on the game etc but its the only way anything is playable..

Id recommend contacting your retailer and rma it. Unless it's the same issue with another card it really sounds weird, especially with the response from other users. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

4 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

Again, are you sure it's not a faulty card? 

I did replay to that a minute ago - copied from that reply

5 minutes ago, Sean-98 said:

I did replay to that a minute ago - copied from that reply

Yeah, I didn't see it until after posting. Sorry about that. Did an edit afterwards. 

Anyway, if you have bought a new card that half a year after launch keeps crashing, I'd give it a shot unless there is some online list that says it's a common driver issue?

It's not doing what it's supposed to, whether it's a software or hardware issue is more the sellers thing to figure out. 

In my country (Denmark), I wouldn't hesitate to contact the retailer with such a problem, but then again, we have pretty strong customer protection. Dunno about where you are? 

Worst case, I'd still try to return it due to not living up to expectations, and try to get another, although if there is proved to be no fault at the card, it may be a more tricky gambit. In any case, dialog with seller would be my suggestion. 

31 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

Yeah, I didn't see it until after posting. Sorry about that. Did an edit afterwards. 

Anyway, if you have bought a new card that half a year after launch keeps crashing, I'd give it a shot unless there is some online list that says it's a common driver issue?

It's not doing what it's supposed to, whether it's a software or hardware issue is more the sellers thing to figure out. 

In my country (Denmark), I wouldn't hesitate to contact the retailer with such a problem, but then again, we have pretty strong customer protection. Dunno about where you are? 

Worst case, I'd still try to return it due to not living up to expectations, and try to get another, although if there is proved to be no fault at the card, it may be a more tricky gambit. In any case, dialog with seller would be my suggestion. 

I live in the UK, we do have a lot of buyer protection but so do the sellers. I work in retail myself and i know that after 30 days i have to go to the manufacturer first so i will need to contact gigabyte first... i think im gunna see if these are issues with my GPU itself as i have looked up issues to do with games and my GPU but not the GPU itself.... problem is not many people go AMD - Not many will go for the 7900 XTX and there are many different versions so i may not find anything on my GPU itslelf but maybe the 7900 XTX in general.. i will see if i can find anything after work tonight ...

How the fuck do you people keep having these issues???

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

1 minute ago, xFluing said:

How the fuck do you people keep having these issues???

Thats what im wondering. Im running lots of old games with different DX versions (which should be backwards compatible in any case) on my 7900XTX. Not gonna say the card might not be faulty, but analysis of the problem has to be more rational. Bench marking, newer games to stress test the hardware to see if its actually faulty. FO4 does not even get my fans spinning at 4K everything maxxed.

6 hours ago, PriitM said:

Thats what im wondering. Im running lots of old games with different DX versions (which should be backwards compatible in any case) on my 7900XTX. Not gonna say the card might not be faulty, but analysis of the problem has to be more rational. Bench marking, newer games to stress test the hardware to see if its actually faulty. FO4 does not even get my fans spinning at 4K everything maxxed.

WHAT?!! My GPU goes off the wall when running F04 4K max????? do you have the high res textures installed??? and yes i am aware that testing for faulty hardware requires a lot and that's why I said I'm not sure how to go about that... as i keep saying i do everything I can to ensure I don't get any issues yet i still get them.... 

On 5/24/2023 at 4:02 AM, WallacEngineering said:

Sure, Nvidia drivers are definitely a bit more stable

People seem to love repeating this, but it's never quantified and certainly not my experience. Both brands have provided fairly solid experiences, but I've definitely fought with some Nvidia drivers over the years too.

15 hours ago, Gork said:

complete FUD.

His conclusion doesn't follow from his tests. He does very limited testing on a limited subset of cards and software and tries to draw conclusions for the entire PC user base. That's not really how that works. I don't think anyone claims not using DDU will always lead to issues, but there's anecdotal evidence which suggests you can occasionally prevent weird behavior.

It's a bit like cloning your hard drive to a new drive. It's not bound to lead to problems, but a fresh install is less likely to lead to issues.

13 hours ago, Gork said:

I wouldn't put much stock in, but I digress, so anyway, here's the plan, we have a box to put all our pc (expletive deleted)  in. I digressed er I meen Jay says.  And if you watched the video you know, that 'internet wisdom' about the odd instinct to start with DDU first  Is just wrong. Hell, i'm proof. up to  about 3 weeks ago I had a GTX 1660. I litterally took that one out, and put in a RX6600. I didn't run DDU when I switched GPU maker brands.

Wow, really? No issues? Thats pretty rare, especially when swapping from one brand to another. Its mainly because each leaves behind files and registry entries after standard uninstall.

These files can cause conflicts. Its not the worst thing in the world, just crashes and general instability.

DDU ensures a completely clean install, as if the old driver never existed to begin with.

Its an extremely simple tool, they just update it often to keep up with new drivers coming out. The program simply knows what to look for since they have been updating it for so many years.

Simply put - Its just really goot at making sure no traces get left behind that may cause conflict. Thats literally all it does.

Current Build Thread:

1 hour ago, XNOR said:

People seem to love repeating this, but it's never quantified and certainly not my experience. Both brands have provided fairly solid experiences, but I've definitely fought with some Nvidia drivers over the years too.

Well they just are. Its not by much mind you, Ive hardly had any crashes over the past few years running AMD cards, they have certainly improved on a massive scale, but there are still crashes and hiccups once ina blue moon.

Overall I would agree, the experiences are quite similar now, and one big bonus for AMD is vastly superior driver software UI with everything from overclocking to fan control build directly into the base driver as well as their equivalent of "GeForce Experience".

AMD has this amazing approach to software and user friendliness that Nvidia just won't ever match because they prefer locking things down.

Current Build Thread:

17 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

I've heard the GPU market in Europe is even more skewed than, here in the US. Fanboing  on a brand is never healthy though. I just looked on amazon, and the 6950XT  looks like it sits around 640 dollars before tax and shipping, the rtx 4070 hovering around 600 dollars before tax and shipping, and the 4080 around 1,200 dollars before tax and shipping.  None of this is accounting for if you'd need a new PSU or Case either, that could drive the price up another 300 dollars and up.

59 minutes ago, Gork said:

Fanboing  on a brand is never healthy though.

I would say the opposite - Being a Fan-Boy is never healthy. Locking yourself down to a single brand no matter how bad things get will really screw you over.

Fan-Booing shows these companies that we won't take their bull-s*** and forces them to rethink strategies, offer more innovation, and lower pricing.

Its as Linus always says - "Vote With Your Wallet"

Its quite honestly the most true and accurate statement regarding how we the people can influence companies.

We matter more than anything else - that is: Sales matter more than anything else. So Voting with your wallet quite literally determines the fate of these companies and how they do things.

Current Build Thread:

11 hours ago, Sean-98 said:

WHAT?!! My GPU goes off the wall when running F04 4K max????? do you have the high res textures installed??? and yes i am aware that testing for faulty hardware requires a lot and that's why I said I'm not sure how to go about that... as i keep saying i do everything I can to ensure I don't get any issues yet i still get them.... 

No 4K texture pack installed, all vanilla at 4K res.