AMD Rant

5 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

I would say the opposite - Being a Fan-Boy is never healthy. Locking yourself down to a single brand no matter how bad things get will really screw you over.

Fan-Booing shows these companies that we won't take their bull-s*** and forces them to rethink strategies, offer more innovation, and lower pricing.

Its as Linus always says - "Vote With Your Wallet"

Its quite honestly the most true and accurate statement regarding how we the people can influence companies.

We matter more than anything else - that is: Sales matter more than anything else. So Voting with your wallet quite literally determines the fate of these companies and how they do things.

and that's what i did... i went AMD over Nvida for better value and to try and make a difference however so far in my experience its been VERY half baked... issue after issue where as my experience with Nvidia was completely different, my 1080Ti never failed me! if i ever had issues they were game / OS related and fixable after changing some things but with AMD its not that simple, I'm getting way more issues and most of the time I'm unable to find a fix

it should be obvious to anyone that I'm no fan boy as I went AMD. But I'm not going to ignore that fact that my experience was better with Nvida and I don't understand how many people here are saying "they are both as bad as each other" when factually that isn't true.. AMD is well known to have poor deriver quality and eventually yes they do tend to get much better but it takes a very long time for this and on the way there are way more issues than Nvida, any GPU review from on of the main tech you tubers say the same..

GPU - Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX GAMING OC // CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3950x // RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600 Mhz 64GB DDR4 // MB - ROG STRIX X570E GAMING // PSU - Be Quite Dark Power Pro 12 1200w // Case - Phanteks P400A RGB (Mesh) // Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum // Display - LG QNED 86 (MINI LED - 120Hz - 4K) // Mouse - Corsair Dark Core Pro SE // Keyboard - Corsair K57

2 hours ago, PriitM said:

No 4K texture pack installed, all vanilla at 4K res.

ahh yh that'll explain why then, i use the HD texture pack, add the FO4 JANK to that and my GPU runs hot running that mess of a game BUT it runs so I'm not complaining 😂

GPU - Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX GAMING OC // CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3950x // RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600 Mhz 64GB DDR4 // MB - ROG STRIX X570E GAMING // PSU - Be Quite Dark Power Pro 12 1200w // Case - Phanteks P400A RGB (Mesh) // Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum // Display - LG QNED 86 (MINI LED - 120Hz - 4K) // Mouse - Corsair Dark Core Pro SE // Keyboard - Corsair K57

19 minutes ago, Sean-98 said:

ahh yh that'll explain why then, i use the HD texture pack, add the FO4 JANK to that and my GPU runs hot running that mess of a game BUT it runs so I'm not complaining 😂

IMHO your card is fine. It all smells more like driver jank than actual hardware stuff. You should be getting far more issues with every game than just a few if its hardware.
Standard practice with AMD is to try different drivers. I usually wait for 3-4 updates have dropped and then try them all at once to find a stable one. Its quite a different experience from Nvidia for sure but it has proven in the past to work. I had an R9 390X for 7 years... in which time I used like 4 different drivers total. The last driver was from 2019 which held up until 2023. Id recommend installing only the driver itself for best stability.

Official 4K texture pack to FO4 is garbage. Classic Bugthesda stuff. Nexus mods has couple of 4K overhaul mods that do a much better job with much better optimization.

Standard rituals nowadays when dealing with Radeon driver problem in Windows

• Turn off MPO
  • Turn off HAGS
  • Turn off browser hardware acceleration (Chrome/Firefox/Steam/Discord/etc)
  • Turn off Windows Update because it kept override AMD driver
  • Make sure you system RAM is pyramid stable
  • Use Linux

Standard rituals dealing with AMD ATI driver back in the day

Spoiler

WSFVEZ5fKYzOleJTgB8IRTWyjcd5jAM2eveJBc-E

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, PriitM said:

IMHO your card is fine. It all smells more like driver jank than actual hardware stuff. You should be getting far more issues with every game than just a few if its hardware.
Standard practice with AMD is to try different drivers. I usually wait for 3-4 updates have dropped and then try them all at once to find a stable one. Its quite a different experience from Nvidia for sure but it has proven in the past to work. I had an R9 390X for 7 years... in which time I used like 4 different drivers total. The last driver was from 2019 which held up until 2023. Id recommend installing only the driver itself for best stability.

Official 4K texture pack to FO4 is garbage. Classic Bugthesda stuff. Nexus mods has couple of 4K overhaul mods that do a much better job with much better optimization.

i am thinking the same, I do think mine is of poor quality as it can suffer overheating when on default "OC" (card is a factory OC) which under-voting seems to fix. issue i have with that driver idea is that my GPU is only 6 months old so there aren't many drivers that support my GPU and they are all s**t.. its annoying as my plans have been to buy all the games in a franchise Far Cry, COD, Resident Evil, Dead space, Dead Rising, NFS and so on and playing them all but my issues mean I cant do that and given I am struggling to find any kind of fixes for my issues it just means I have wasted my money on games I simply cant play.. 

Most notable for me have been remedy games such as Alan Wake which is straight broken on AMD cards in general however the workarounds I have seen don't work for me as they are for the original game.. Control is unstable but when running does run very well.. I just had some hitching but strangely at one point it crashed in the same way Alan Wake did and caused temporarily burn in on my display.. 

Forza Horizon 5 runs smooth as butter as does the Dead Space Remake and Dead Island 2 so its just some older games mainly.. Its just a kick in the balls to have a fair amount of my steam/epic/gog library unplayable - Star wars jedi fallen order wont load past the splash screen

**EDIT**

As for going driver only, as I play older games I tend to use a lot of the GPU enhancements which can make a massive difference to how bad an older game looks, I used it often with Nvida and I was AMD had as many options as Nvidas control panel for 3d settings.. I'm happy to disable them if it means I can just play the game and I have had a few issues where I have had to disable GPU overrides as it just breaks some games but the difference it can make to an older game is truly amazing so id like to keep that option if I can.

Edited by Sean-98

40 minutes ago, Sean-98 said:

Forza Horizon 5 runs smooth as butter as does the Dead Space Remake and Dead Island 2 so its just some older games mainly.. Its just a kick in the balls to have a fair amount of my steam/epic/gog library unplayable - Star wars jedi fallen order wont load past the splash screen

If the problem is with DX9 games, maybe you can try DXVK. 

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

It will translate DX9 to Vulkan, maybe you'll get better performance or compatibility.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Really just sounds like you got a faulty card. Far Cry 2 runs great at 4k on my 6700 XT. I can't remember if it was Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas, but one of them was a crash fest on my GTX 970 too until using fan made mods back in the day. Only driver problem I have had with my 6700 XT in six months of usage was driver timeouts on the desktop in Windows 10, usually while using Chrome, which were fixed by disabling multiplane overlay. Actually had that problem for a while on my 1660 Super too which tells me it's probably a Windows bug, though it was fixed (bypassed?) in Nvidia's drivers. Kind of annoying AMD hasn't fixed it yet so I had to use a reghack Nvidia provided to disable MPO. Otherwise though the drivers have been rock solid for me and the card is more stable than my GTX 970 was. Played through about half of Control too with RT shadows and RT reflection shadows on the 6700 XT and never had any technical problems since that one was brought up too (just got bored with the game so never finished it).