Rant: Why is Linus quiet about Asus problems?

Title.

EDIT: They talked about it at a WAN Show 1 day after this thread was created, so here's the link:

I still think they should have done a full video about it but it's better than nothing I guess.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.6GHz (single core boost) | 5.4GHz (all cores); Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero X670E; RAM: Team Group T-Force 2x16GB (32GB) DDR5 @ 6000MHz CL38; GPU: RTX 4080 - ZOTAC GAMING AMP Extreme AIRO; Case: NZXT H7 Flow; Storage: Kingston KC3000 1TB + Adata Legend 900 2TB; Cooling: Cooler Master PL360; PSU: Corsair HX 1200

they have videos lined up for a release schedule, probably didn't wanna rush a video for sth they're gonna talk about on WANSHOW

Bigger companies are slower to react, LTT is big and slow.

There's a Yomama joke in there somewhere XD

6 minutes ago, MyLittleFella said:

Title.

I dont think he is being quiet about it but he might adress it in a WAN SHOW instead of in a separate video just like he did when NVIDIA pooped on Hardware Unboxed.

They probably haven't finalized a script for it because they're waiting on more info, or he's just gonna talk about it on the WAN show. It'd be stupid for a channel the size of LTT to just immediately jump onto the "fuck ASUS" bandwagon without making sure they get their facts at least mostly straight. No point in burning bridges that they don't have to.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Are you talking about the situation with AMD X3D CPU's exploding? 

I feel like gamers nexus has already covered the topic with a couple of videos now, I'm not really sure what else LTT could add to the discussion beyond recapping what gamers nexus have already said. This seems like a topic they might cover on the WAN show though if they didn't already discuss it last week. It's also important to remember that it wasn't just Asus boards affected, they just seem to have additional issues or haven't handled it as well as the other motherboard vendors so are catching most of the flak.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I feel like gamers nexus has already covered the topic with a couple of videos now, I'm not really sure what else LTT could add to the discussion beyond recapping what gamers nexus have already said. This seems like a topic they might cover on the WAN show though if they didn't already discuss it last week. It's also important to remember that it wasn't just Asus boards affected, they just seem to have additional issues or haven't handled it as well as the other motherboard vendors so are catching most of the flak.

That's no excuse. The way Asus is treating their customers is totally wrong and it should be brought to light by every possible Influencer related to PCs gaming, which Linus is included.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.6GHz (single core boost) | 5.4GHz (all cores); Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero X670E; RAM: Team Group T-Force 2x16GB (32GB) DDR5 @ 6000MHz CL38; GPU: RTX 4080 - ZOTAC GAMING AMP Extreme AIRO; Case: NZXT H7 Flow; Storage: Kingston KC3000 1TB + Adata Legend 900 2TB; Cooling: Cooler Master PL360; PSU: Corsair HX 1200

23 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Gamers Nexus did a great job explaining it but I want Linus to cover it in a separate video. Not on the WAN show mainly because of his reach. 13 million more subscribers than Steve's channel.

These Beta BIOS's have been out since 5/2/23. 9 days and not a single word from Asus about how they are totally willing to screw me out of my money if I use the BIOS that they released. I spent $900 on this upgrade, I don't have another $300 to throw at a motherboard because I can't guarantee the first one is covered under warranty. My current BIOS isn't even safe. I have the first fix BIOS they came out with that supposedly capped voltages at 1.30 but Steve proved that wrong as well. 

I want LTT's reach. I want their big giant foot to come down and make Asus suffer. Hold these companies to their word. 

7800X3D | Noctua NH-D15 Asus B650 ProArt-Creator 32GB 6000mhz GSkill S5 Asus TUF RTX 4090 | Corsair HX1000i | Sandisk 1TB NVME boot, Sabrent 2TB NVME, Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX500 2TB | Lian-Li O11 Air Mini |

50 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

They probably haven't finalized a script for it because they're waiting on more info, or he's just gonna talk about it on the WAN show. It'd be stupid for a channel the size of LTT to just immediately jump onto the "fuck ASUS" bandwagon without making sure they get their facts at least mostly straight. No point in burning bridges that they don't have to.

so.. joining bandwagon eh? steve only did this after exploring the stuff behind the exploding cpu.. and jay after he is experiencing a lot of trouble with his amd build for his personal rig.. and the reversed capacitor on the intel board... i think you missed this - have you watched both videos?

LTT have time, they have the staff - including the lab to do some testing themselves to check if what steve claimed on their investigation is true or not. at this point, can you point on the video about LTT peer reviewing what steve have done on investigating the problem itself using their LAB resource?

at this point LTT is more "scripted" media company trying to play it safe with something like asus - as their sponsor for LTX to begin with. even back then they have no proper explanation to the RING and the scandal - just mere mention within a few second of talk about it on WAN show or some video.

meanwhile they DO make a proper vid/stream talking about VPN sponsor back then to address it, not for the RING itself

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is just my personal opinion mixed with a pinch of illuminati theory (and while wearing a aluminum foil cap)

Currently ASUS is the main/ big sponsor (at least) for their upcoming EXPO show, and ranting ASUS for their motherboard failure surely will make things shaky, especially after they hyping about the excitement of the EXPO and how whale keep hoarding the VIP ticket just to have a meet and greet

And then, there is also probably LTT group haven't cashed in of the check from ASUS, so until they milked the check from the sponsor s-e-g-u-e, they probably gonna play nice with ASUS

(Sorry, no s-e-g-u-e to sponsor, since I'm not paid to make this comment 😉)

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

As others have said LTT is big and big companies are not as nimble as smaller ones...Linus has acknowleged this on the WAN show numerous times. The vast majority of their videos are typically shot in advance (ie: 1-2 weeks prior), before they appear on YouTube, so that is something people neeed to keep in mind. For example Linus mentioned on the WAN show a couple of weeks ago that they shot Yvonne's AMD tech upgrade, so there is a possiblity they may have used an ASUS motherboard and/or GPU( don't know for sure until the video is released). If so, people are going to get mad, not realizing the video was shot 2 weeks BEFORE Steve's/Jay's video(s) regarding ASUS.

Being that these video's only came out yesterday (Thursday) and today is Friday (WAN show day) I suspect they will discuss it on the WAN show. 

6 hours ago, ImWilly said:

This is just my personal opinion mixed with a pinch of illuminati theory (and while wearing a aluminum foil cap)

Currently ASUS is the main/ big sponsor (at least) for their upcoming EXPO show, and ranting ASUS for their motherboard failure surely will make things shaky, especially after they hyping about the excitement of the EXPO and how whale keep hoarding the VIP ticket just to have a meet and greet

And then, there is also probably LTT group haven't cashed in of the check from ASUS, so until they milked the check from the sponsor s-e-g-u-e, they probably gonna play nice with ASUS

(Sorry, no s-e-g-u-e to sponsor, since I'm not paid to make this comment 😉)

To be far, Linus is not shy about dropping sponsors on the spot (ie: Anker). There is the possibility they can drop Asus as a sponsor...even for the EXPO. I guess we will have to wait until the WAN show to find out more.

7 hours ago, faketruth said:

so.. joining bandwagon eh? steve only did this after exploring the stuff behind the exploding cpu.. and jay after he is experiencing a lot of trouble with his amd build for his personal rig.. and the reversed capacitor on the intel board... i think you missed this - have you watched both videos?

LTT have time, they have the staff - including the lab to do some testing themselves to check if what steve claimed on their investigation is true or not. at this point, can you point on the video about LTT peer reviewing what steve have done on investigating the problem itself using their LAB resource?

at this point LTT is more "scripted" media company trying to play it safe with something like asus - as their sponsor for LTX to begin with. even back then they have no proper explanation to the RING and the scandal - just mere mention within a few second of talk about it on WAN show or some video.

meanwhile they DO make a proper vid/stream talking about VPN sponsor back then to address it, not for the RING itself

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Once again, there is no point in them jumping in line to run a train on ASUS if they themselves don't have their shit in a row. You may think LMG has the time and staff, but they really don't have either. They're already on a pretty tight schedule to try and get their overwhelming amount of content cranked out so finding the time and resources to do proper testing on a situation like this is no small feat. The last thing I'd want to do is not have my own facts straight then piss off a large sponsor and lose a fat pile of money and hardware.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 hours ago, Spec7re said:

To be far, Linus is not shy about dropping sponsors on the spot (ie: Anker). There is the possibility they can drop Asus as a sponsor...even for the EXPO. I guess we will have to wait until the WAN show to find out more.

That is a good point. I'm really looking forward for this week WAN show, especially 'After Dark'

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

Not RUSHING a video is not being silent. Calm down. Its better to report correct for LTT then report fast and wrong. They are not Jay who can is just allowed to bullshit and spread misinformation without any regard to editorial discretion for whatever reason.

Give them time to be correct

Because anyone in their right mind would not consider this to be a large-scale issue at all

AMD 7950X 7950X3D | Asus ROG X670E Crosshair Hero | G.Skill 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96 (F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR | ASUS Strix 4090 OC Edition

Intel 13700K 13900K | Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | G.Skill 32GB DDR5 7600 CL36-46-46-121 (F5-7600J3646G16GX2-TZ5RK) | Intel Arc A770

17 hours ago, MyLittleFella said:

That's no excuse. The way Asus is treating their customers is totally wrong and it should be brought to light by every possible Influencer related to PCs gaming, which Linus is included.

So why is this thread focused on just LTT?

Why are you not also complaining about Austin Evans, Daniel Owen, Dawid Does Tech Stuff, Hardware Canucks, Hardware Unboxed, iJustine, Jeff Geerling, MKBHD, MrWhoseTheBoss, Optimum Tech, Paul's Hardware, ServeTheHome, Tech Deals, Tech Yes City, UFD Tech, Unboxed Therapy, and basically all of the other tech influencers apart from GN and Jay?

None of them have made a dedicated video about this either.

17 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

FYI, he's addressing your issue right now on WAN Show

On youtube?

My Main PC

• CPU: 13700KF
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
  • RAM: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5-6000MHz TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta
  • GPU: RTX 4070 ASUS Dual
  • Case: RAIDMAX X603
  • Storage: WD SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair RM850X Fully Modular
  • Cooling: DEEPCOOL LS720
  • Display(s): Gigabyte G24F2 & Dell S2318HN/NX
  • Keyboard: Logitech G512 Carbon (GX Blue)
  • Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero
  • Sound: Bose Headphone & Creative SBS260
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Laptop: Alienware m15 R1

• CPU: 9750H
  • MB: OEM
  • RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 2666Mhz
  • GPU: RTX 2060 (Mobile)

Phone: Galaxy A54

Other: Nintendo Switch

23 hours ago, MyLittleFella said:

Title.

I am really looking forward to watching the Wan show after it finishes. I have been really interested to see what Linus has to say to AMD, ASUS and Gigabyte on this matter.

Side Note:

I loved how Gamers Nexus covered this issue. They helped out the people who had the issue, ran tests on the hardware, provided us with well document data and gave us an indepth analysis on what they discoved. GamersNexus even got experts to way in and give some insite on what might have been causing the issue. So, I give them a huge kudos on the job well done here.

My Main PC

• CPU: 13700KF
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
  • RAM: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5-6000MHz TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta
  • GPU: RTX 4070 ASUS Dual
  • Case: RAIDMAX X603
  • Storage: WD SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair RM850X Fully Modular
  • Cooling: DEEPCOOL LS720
  • Display(s): Gigabyte G24F2 & Dell S2318HN/NX
  • Keyboard: Logitech G512 Carbon (GX Blue)
  • Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero
  • Sound: Bose Headphone & Creative SBS260
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Laptop: Alienware m15 R1

• CPU: 9750H
  • MB: OEM
  • RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 2666Mhz
  • GPU: RTX 2060 (Mobile)

Phone: Galaxy A54

Other: Nintendo Switch

31 minutes ago, Azurael said:

I am really looking forward to watching the Wan show after it finishes. I have been really interested to see what Linus has to say to AMD, ASUS and Gigabyte on this matter.

You can actually back up the video during a livestream if you want to see it right now. If you do so right now, you need to go back about 1 hour 30 minutes.

It's hilarious. This feels like a "I'm angry about something and I need to find others to be angry together with. If you're not angry at the same things I'm angry with, you're not on my team and I'll be angry with you!"

To put more fuel into the ASUS motherboard fire: my ASUS (Intel 6th/7th gen) motherboard in my testbench decided not to show A SINGLE SIGN OF LIFE simply because the CMOS battery drained completely. Now, I am more than aware that a drained CMOS battery can cause issues, however, 200+ PCs had CMOS batteries with different levels of charge left and probably half were drained completely. When a CMOS battery is completely drained, the PC is supposed to boot, restore BIOS settings to defaults and warn you, or show some beep code. The mainboard is NOT supposed to not show any sign of life, like when traces are burned. Only ASUS boards have this problem to my knowledge. So yeah, not happy with them.

2 hours ago, Real_Smoky said:

To put more fuel into the ASUS motherboard fire: my ASUS (Intel 6th/7th gen) motherboard in my testbench decided not to show A SINGLE SIGN OF LIFE simply because the CMOS battery drained completely. Now, I am more than aware that a drained CMOS battery can cause issues, however, 200+ PCs had CMOS batteries with different levels of charge left and probably half were drained completely. When a CMOS battery is completely drained, the PC is supposed to boot, restore BIOS settings to defaults and warn you, or show some beep code. The mainboard is NOT supposed to not show any sign of life, like when traces are burned. Only ASUS boards have this problem to my knowledge. So yeah, not happy with them.

Many, many systems do this. Primarily OEM, but it is not just an ASUS thing.

9 hours ago, Azurael said:

On youtube?

Yes. On YouTube, and floatplane if that's your thing. 

If you wanna stay in touch with Linus' take and not just planned releases from LTT WAN show is the place to go. It's also usually where Linus can put his foot thoroughly in his mouth as he is just talking instead of going through a script. I mean, it's still a parasocial relationship, but it feels more real. 

Its my favorite video of the week. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

20 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

So why is this thread focused on just LTT?

Why are you not also complaining about Austin Evans, Daniel Owen, Dawid Does Tech Stuff, Hardware Canucks, Hardware Unboxed, iJustine, Jeff Geerling, MKBHD, MrWhoseTheBoss, Optimum Tech, Paul's Hardware, ServeTheHome, Tech Deals, Tech Yes City, UFD Tech, Unboxed Therapy, and basically all of the other tech influencers apart from GN and Jay?

None of them have made a dedicated video about this either.

Man, if Linus ever goes to the beach, you'll drown for sure! LMAO
Jesus Christ, what a bootlicker.

Anyways, I don't know about everyone you mentioned, but here's Jay's and GN's video, which you should know about cause GN made 3 videos about it.

You know what? Access their youtube channel and look it up for yourself.

13 hours ago, crazzp said:

It's hilarious. This feels like a "I'm angry about something and I need to find others to be angry together with. If you're not angry at the same things I'm angry with, you're not on my team and I'll be angry with you!"

As said by Luke at the WAN Show last night: "If it was me, I'd be pissed".

=)