Nintendo DMCA on lockpick (get your own system keys from your switch for emulators)

BombTime

Recently saw this in my news reader and thought the community would like to see it. From one of the forkers, they were given 24 hours before the repos are taking down (that's coming up super shortly after this post, grab it while you can)

Summary

Nintendo has issued a DMCA take down to github to take down Lockpick and Lockpick_RCM, This is a tool that allows you to pull your own system keys for use with emulation on a PC or device of choice. This is bad for anyone that dosent want to just pirate someone elses system keys instead of buying a switch and then emulating it.

Quotes

Nintendo has just issued multiple DMCA takedown requests to GitHub, including for Lockpick, the tool for dumping keys from YOUR OWN Switch, which is absolutely ludicrous - pirates aren't gonna be sourcing keys from their own consoles!

**How is the accused project designed to circumvent your technological protection measures?**

The reported repository offers and provides access to circumvention software that infringes Nintendo’s intellectual property rights. Specifically, the reported repository provides Lockpick to users. The use of Lockpick with a modified Nintendo Switch console allows users to bypass Nintendo’s Technological Measures for video games; specifically, Lockpick bypasses the Console TPMs to permit unauthorized access to, extraction of, and decryption of all the cryptographic keys, including product keys, contained in the Nintendo Switch. The decrypted keys facilitate copyright infringement by permitting users to play pirated versions of Nintendo’s copyright-protected game software on systems without Nintendo’s Console TPMs or systems on which Nintendo’s Console TPMs have been disabled. Trafficking in circumvention software, such as Lockpick, violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of the United States (specifically, 17 U.S.C. §1201), and infringes copyrights owned by Nintendo.

My thoughts

Just Nintendo being nintendo, this super stinks for anyone who likes to emulate.

Sources

github.zendesk.com/attachments/token/Cfm7THEybmOPuIzzf7YuT5fmJ/?name=2023-05-04-nintendo-4.rtf

Should put it on gitee instead.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Maybe they are afraid you would spread those keys that you dump to others? Honestly think that this take down would lead to more pirating rather than less as you can't get your own keys anymore. Also I doubt you can really stop the program from being spread just because it's removed from github. Might be a bit more risky to get though. 

One more reason that nintendo encourage piracy.
thanks nintendo, DRM and all the others out there.

IDK what nintendo thinks, its not their device after they sold it so they shouldnt have any say in thiy matter.

On 5/8/2023 at 10:37 AM, jagdtigger said:

IDK what nintendo thinks, its not their device after they sold it so they shouldnt have any say in thiy matter.

"buh......buht muh monies"
If a company is willing to screw you over to make even 0.01% more profit, they'll find a way to do so.

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

29 minutes ago, Hassan170 said:

If a company is willing to screw you over to make even 0.01% more profit, they'll find a way to do so.

Great example of completely missing the point.....

26 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Great example of completely missing the point.....

correct me if I'm mistaken, but is your point that Nintendo should piss off the second you buy a Switch and give them your money?

This is to say, it's none of Nintendo's business what you do with or how you use the Switch after you have legally bought it.

56 minutes ago, Hassan170 said:

My joke/jab was that modern-day capitalism borderline forces every company to constantly sell you/force you to keep buying stuff, even after you purchased the/product. Things like planned obsolesce, (free and paid) games offering holding hostage DLC/microtransactions, one-time-purchase software now requiring subscriptions and most recently dictating how you can use your hardware (even if you fully paid for it 4 years ago). The last part is the company trying to nudge you to buy more stuff preferably their 1st party Officially Licensed stuff.

In our ideal techie world, companies would just sell us the hardware and we would do whatever we want with it, even purposefully(or accidentally) destroy it, if we felt like it. Any software that the company or any other entity sells for that device would be optional and not necessary for the device to function as intended by the manufacturer.

But if a company did do just that, they would (sadly 🫥 } not make as much money and that would make the CEO sad because he doesn't get a bonus to buy a new yacht and it would make the shareholders sad as well because it's a red number in their portfolios and they like big green numbers. Hence why you have modern companies doing what they do, it's survival of the fittest(& greediest).

not necessarily tied to underpowered consoles, but this is also why you have things like anti-right-to-repair practices, the crackdown on piracy and anything that can be used for such purposes, normally included (heck already built-in) features now requiring subscriptions, upsells on warranty and storage/cloud services, restricting/sabotaging/copying 3rd party vendors/applications/services/products, forcing you to use their software on their hardware ONLY, unnecessarily complicated construction.

The only people that like walled gardens are the ones that built/own them.

I can name 5 examples off the top of my head but I mean, it's pretty obvious, right?

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far