Web host gives FCC 28.8 kbps slow lane treatment

Real_PhillBert

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/web-host-gives-fcc-a-28-8kbps-slow-lane-in-net-neutrality-protest/

"But one Web hosting service called NeoCities isn't just writing letters to the FCC. Instead, the company found the FCC's internal IP address range and throttled all connections to 28.8Kbps speeds."

I Lol'ed at this.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Awesome  :D

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Yeah now make them pay for the "FAST LANE"

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

It feels satisfying, but it's also underhanded and probably not good for the cause of Net Neutrality.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

It feels satisfying, but it's also underhanded and probably not good for the cause of Net Neutrality.

That's kinda how I feel as well. This is really exactly what we are trying to prevent. Although I am still entertained.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I just came to post this.  This is hilarious. 

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

That's kinda how I feel as well. This is really exactly what we are trying to prevent. Although I am still entertained.

That's the point: the company is going straight up to the FCC and saying "This here is exactly what you asked for, and it's exactly what we wanted to prevent." The intent is for the FCC to go "well, we don't like that, maybe we shouldn't ask for it." Well, more likely the intent is "free publicity", but the other thing might happen too.

That's the point: the company is going straight up to the FCC and saying "This here is exactly what you asked for, and it's exactly what we wanted to prevent." The intent is for the FCC to go "well, we don't like that, maybe we shouldn't ask for it." Well, more likely the intent is "free publicity", but the other thing might happen too.

If you are expecting the government to abide by the same rules as the people, you are going to have a really rough day.

Imagine if Google (YouTube), Amazon, Dropbox etc did this (they did sign the open letter to the FCC). I think that is the point at which the point will have been made, and the FCC will have no choice but to give in. I doubt that it would happen, but it would certainly make the point.

HTTP/2 203

Not even 56k (7 KB/s). NIce.

​Its fair enough, i had to fight to get 3kb/s on dial-up...

Signatures are stupid.

oh I find this so funny and well deserved. This will educate them on the effects of not having net neutrality as a law. Bravo Bravo to NeoCities.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

yes this is what they need to know what will happen also the same guy posted his code into github as well: https://gist.github.com/kyledrake/e6046644115f185f7af0 if anybody wants to join the cause

@Slick any chance you guys would implement this in the site, just asking

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here